Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a read of https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754697(v=ws.11).aspx

quote:

Locating domain controllers by site
Domain controllers register service (SRV) resource records in Domain Name System (DNS) that identify their site names. Domain controllers also register host (A) resource records in DNS that identify their IP addresses. When a client requests a domain controller, it provides its site name to DNS. DNS uses the site name to locate a domain controller in that site (or in the next closest site to the client). DNS then provides the IP address of the domain controller to the client for the purpose of connecting to the domain controller. For this reason, it is important to ensure that the IP address that you assign to a domain controller maps to a subnet that is associated with the site of the respective server object. Otherwise, when a client requests a domain controller, the IP address that is returned might be the IP address of a domain controller in a distant site. When a client connects to a distant site, the result can be slow performance and unnecessary traffic on expensive WAN links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

For some reason, I have begun to receive phone calls directly from [customers]. I’m not sure why this is happening. Can you please check the phone system and verify that my number is not included in the customer service phone tree setup?
Okay, we've been having weird issue with our phone system, but we'll need some details.

quote:

The phone call I received came from [customer's telephone number] at 2:54 pm, 3:03 pm, 3:09 pm, and 3:27 pm on August 23rd.
Cool, we'll pass that on to our hosted provider so they can check what buttons this lady mashed into the phone tree.

quote:

You can close this ticket. My phone number was being pulled by the credit card processor and was posting on the patients' credit card statements.
:stonk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

...how? :stare:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

UHHHHHHHHHHH????????

What?! :stonk:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

anthonypants posted:

Okay, we've been having weird issue with our phone system, but we'll need some details.
Cool, we'll pass that on to our hosted provider so they can check what buttons this lady mashed into the phone tree.
:stonk:

:psyduck:

Maybe the CC's system was pulling the business phone # instead of business name from the database? In any case, :psyduck:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had to read that about 5 times before my brain could even accept what the gently caress I was reading

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Hungry Computer posted:

:psyduck:

Maybe the CC's system was pulling the business phone # instead of business name from the database? In any case, :psyduck:

My initial thought is the CC processor updated their records, and somehow wound up with that direct number as the business contact number for the company. For example, buying stuff from Google Play sometimes gives me a phone number as additional info: 855-836-3987

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My wife is taking her annual infosec training at her workplace. It was a lot of the standard stuff - be careful about PDFs, spearphishing, etc.

Then it took a look at warchalking and blazed past that at amazingly high speed.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
:laffo: phaxing, certainly nothing ambiguous about that at all, no sir

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Vishing sounds like a new and exciting sex position

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Training companies making up words so you think you've had some value from the course

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
A ticket came in:

quote:

Good morning,

When I came in to work today my computer was off, which I thought was odd. When I turned it on it started burning and lots of smoke came out. Can you help?

Looks like the wires feeding the motherboard from the power supply got hot and actually caught fire. Don't know why yet.

The fire melted this unused SATA power connector that was tucked in the wire loop.

Happy Monday!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Things regularly reported as fires here:
Sonicwalls with a yellowed case when the power supply is dead, obviously the sonicwall 'was burning'.
Smoke coming out of any device.

I have had more than 5 reports of devices burning and not once has there been a flame.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SEKCobra posted:

Smoke coming out of any device.

To be fair, unless it has an internal combustion engine, smoke should not be coming out of any device. Even if there's not an open flame, smoke is the result of something burning!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ConfusedUs posted:

To be fair, unless it has an internal combustion engine, smoke should not be coming out of any device. Even if there's not an open flame, smoke is the result of something burning!

Not really, 90 % of the time smoke coming out of electronic devices is from capacitors.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SEKCobra posted:

Not really, 90 % of the time smoke coming out of electronic devices is from capacitors.

In which something to vaporized due to high heat: aka burning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ConfusedUs posted:

What about external combustion engines?

Snark aside, I think possibly a surge on one of the wires caused it to fry? I don't know, weird that that happened.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But enough about Honda's F1 efforts

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

:hfive:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

Ouch.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

iospace posted:

Snark aside, I think possibly a surge on one of the wires caused it to fry? I don't know, weird that that happened.

Either the SATA power connector shorted out or the power supply decided to send too much current down the wires to the motherboard. I'm leaning towards SATA connector short as the cause because that connector shows the most damage, the wires are just sooty and scorched, the connector actually melted and charred.

My guess is that over the weekend the connector shorted out and tripped the power supply, which was why the computer was off. On startup it shorted again, but this time the power supply didn't trip and the short got hot enough to catch fire.

Either way I'm trashing everything inside the case and getting the user a new machine.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SEKCobra posted:

Your definition of burning seems to be pretty narrow.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I'm the size 72 font in a workplace e-mail.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chunjee posted:

I'm the size 72 font in a workplace e-mail.

Let me guess, "EXTREMELY URGENT"?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably telling people to consider the environment before printing, and it being there uses up another two sheets of paper.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

iospace posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You could have also posted a Ferrari you know.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A ticket came in: termination request for a user who died over the weekend. :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One way the manager can't get too pissed off over an employee leaving.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sirotan posted:

I've done a couple of those. The worst one was when the employee had been in the news because she was murdered.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sirotan posted:

I had to do that a few months ago for someone who had a heart attack two office doors down from me. :geno:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sirotan posted:

Plot twist: Sirotan is a hitman.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

spog posted:

Plot twist: Sirotan is a hitman.

Hitperson

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

iospace posted:

Let me guess, "EXTREMELY URGENT"?
RUMMAGE SALE

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Hitperson

Hitseal.

Someone please photoshop the seal with sunglasses, a suit jacket, and a gun. TIA.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

employee had been in the news because she was murdered.

Same. :smith:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Agrikk posted:

Hitperson

Hitpinniped is the preferred pronoun, thank you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"Your fate is sealed," whispered the Hitpinniped as the knife went in.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Leno owns a few external combustion engined cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

For those of you who run WSUS:

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2017/08/28/microsoft-finally-delivers-a-fix-for-high-cpu-for-wsus-servers/

• Locked thread