Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Not a Children posted:

It's insane that they've been using the same pumps since, what, WWI?

That's pretty much New Orleans in a nutshell ("Same poo poo since WWI").

Hell most of the restaurants are probably using the same grease from WWI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

farraday posted:

Wouldn't bet on it. Addicks measurement has been a little glitchy since they started outflows.

Welp. Up to 103.79' now

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

OB_Juan posted:

RIFTS player spotted.
Coalition State of Lone Star requests as aid in response to flooding. Emperor Prosek instead demands that they build a border wall and make the mages pay for it.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Not a Children posted:

This is really friggin' interesting and I'd be really interested to know anything else about retrofitting power generation for a 25hz system.

Yeah basically WWI era tech.

I know when they buy replacement motors they have to tear them apart and rewind them for 25Hz power. Also everything has to be derated because if you lower the frequency the metal carrying the current has to get bigger. So a transformer made for 100kW at 60Hz can only be used for say 50kW at 25Hz.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WrenP-Complete posted:

Newscasters on KHOU are saying the dam isn't going to breach because they *won't let it breach,* which is very different than the concern the dam experts were expressing earlier. :ohdear:

What are they going to do? Write the hurricane a sternly worded letter?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Newscasters on KHOU are saying the dam isn't going to breach because they *won't let it breach,* which is very different than the concern the dam experts were expressing earlier. :ohdear:

I mean if I were the media who remained in Houston to try and give people desperate hope that's probably what I'd say too. There's nothing to be done for anyone who'd be in the path of it now other than try and give them some room to believe things might still be okay.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/treytexag/status/902200446978318336

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

The guy I know working on the power generation is pretty old and is one of the few people who even knows how that old power generation works. I know they gave him a PO with no limit he could charge to it because they were scared if he was gone they couldn't get it up and running.

I don't know what they are going to do after he retires.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Not a Children posted:

This is really friggin' interesting and I'd be really interested to know anything else about retrofitting power generation for a 25hz system.

This happens all the time because projects like this aren't in any individual politicians self-interest until after the disaster. It's not sexy to run on upgrading the pumping system and you generally get excoriated for "wasting" tax-payer money on something like this. What's best for the community as a whole can sometimes not be rewarded at the ballot box.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

drat...I feel so sorry for Houston/Texans right now. I'm not even a big fan of Texas. I've never liked the bellicose "don't mess with Texas" wingnuttery that's tended to come from that state, but they don't deserve this mess.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Deadulus posted:

Yeah basically WWI era tech.

I know when they buy replacement motors they have to tear them apart and rewind them for 25Hz power. Also everything has to be derated because if you lower the frequency the metal carrying the current has to get bigger. So a transformer made for 100kW at 60Hz can only be used for say 50kW at 25Hz.

Makes sense. I don't understand just why they couldn't replace the motors with 60Hz equivalents after failure over the 70+ years it's been standard though.

Majumbo posted:

This happens all the time because projects like this aren't in any individual politicians self-interest until after the disaster. It's not sexy to run on upgrading the pumping system and you generally get excoriated for "wasting" tax-payer money on something like this. What's best for the community as a whole can sometimes not be rewarded at the ballot box.

I work in wastewater pumping and treatment. Some places are surprisingly proactive about keeping their facilities upgraded! Unfortunately, the focus tends to be on the areas with the most money, which, uh, is *tugs collar* not most of New Orleans

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Water travels East along the Buffalo Bayou. Directly West, just off the image, is downtown Houston. Everything in its path is densely populated.

Edit: Fixed East for West typo in first sentence.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 28, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What's the over/under on Joe Arpaio winning Flake's seat?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Not a Children posted:

If they had a medium-voltage variable frequency drive they could take power from whatever source was available and poo poo out 25 Hz all-day-err'y-day. This technology has existed since 1994 in some form or fashion, so I'm kinda stunned it's a problem in two-thousand-seven-loving-teen. :stare:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What's the word on those two dams which one of was called the most dangerous in the nation I believe

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mutata posted:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ripoff posted:

If they had a medium-voltage variable frequency drive they could take power from whatever source was available and poo poo out 25 Hz all-day-err'y-day. This technology has existed since 1994 in some form or fashion, so I'm kinda stunned it's a problem in two-thousand-seven-loving-teen. :stare:

I can see the logic of having independent turbines for something like this since if the pumps are going hard then the power grid is probably pretty damaged, but not even having the option available is insane.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hollismason posted:

What's the word on those two dams which one of was called the most dangerous in the nation I believe

Addicks and Barker are two of the top six most dangerous.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

mutata posted:

Six

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

I heard 3.5.

Hollismason posted:

They're continuing to increase outflows, water levels still rising, rain still falling.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I don't think I saw this posted yet:

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/902207781033435138

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ripoff posted:

When you're considering pumps of this size (I assume 2000+ HP) you run into harmonics issues with VFDs, which are a big no-no. Correction is available via 18-pulse configs and line reactors/filters, but most of the tech is relatively new, somewhat unproven, and expensive (though not more expensive than literally flooding your city).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like Stormfront is next on the list of domain paraiahs.

quote:

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The founder of the internet’s oldest white supremacist site said he was trying to get back online Monday after a company revoked its domain name following complaints that it promotes hatred and is linked to dozens of murders.

Don Black, a former Ku Klux Klan leader who has operated stormfront.org since 1995, said he didn’t receive any warning before Network Solutions blocked the use of the stormfront.org name on Friday.

Stormfront.org had more than 300,000 registered users, Black said, with traffic increasing since a violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Popular with the KKK and neo-Nazi groups, the site included forums where users sometimes promoted white power events.

“I’m talking to my lawyers, and that’s about all I can do right now,” Black, of West Palm Beach, Florida, said in a telephone interview. “I can switch to another domain, but it might wind up the same way.”

Another major white supremacist website, The Daily Stormer, was previously shut down by the web-hosting company Go Daddy and then Google after the violence in Charlottesville.

The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law said the stormfront.org shutdown followed complaints it filed with Network Solutions alleging the site promotes not only hate speech, but deadly violence.

A spokesman for Network Solutions didn’t immediately return an email seeking comment.

Users of Black’s website have been implicated in more than 100 killings, according to the complaint, including 77 people slain by neo-Nazi Anders Breivik at a camp in Norway in 2011.

“Especially in the wake of tragic events in Charlottesville and the spike in hate crimes across the country, Stormfront crossed the line of permissible speech and incited and promoted violence,” said a statement by Kristen Clarke, executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

Black, speaking about the shutdown during an online radio show Monday, said his site had rules against promoting violence or any crime.

Black was a state KKK leader under former Klan Imperial Wizard David Duke, who appeared on the radio show following Black and expressed his “full support” for Black and the website.

“He was the first major site defending the rights of white people,” said Duke.

Black has been involved in the white supremacy movement since the 1970s and was convicted in 1981 for his role in a right-wing plot to overthrow the government of Caribbean island nation of Dominica

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Deadulus posted:

The guy I know working on the power generation is pretty old and is one of the few people who even knows how that old power generation works. I know they gave him a PO with no limit he could charge to it because they were scared if he was gone they couldn't get it up and running.

I don't know what they are going to do after he retires.

Pay him a poo poo load of money to come out of retirement and act as a contractor

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Boris Galerkin posted:

In case anyone didn't know their Klan titles (I sure as hell didn't), a Grand Wizard is the leader of a state's organization and an Imperial Wizard was the leader of the national organization. At first I saw that the guy arrested was identified as an Imperial Wizard but his name doesn't show up on the KKK Wikipedia of former/current leaders so I dunno. Wikipedia also said David Duke abolished the Wizard title when he took over.

Also in case anyone had doubts of whether or not his shooting was racially motivated: don't. All the reports say he shouted "hey niggers" before shooting.

The KKK was busted up a ways back when they were constantly sued and fined, so the organization was broken up into smaller independent groups. That way if some klansmen were targeted with lawsuits and the like, only that local group would have to bear the fallout instead of the whole organization

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Arpaio already lost an election in Arizona.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Not a Children posted:

When you're considering pumps of this size (I assume 2000+ HP) you run into harmonics issues with VFDs, which are a big no-no. Correction is available via 18-pulse configs and line reactors/filters, but most of the tech is relatively new, somewhat unproven, and expensive (though not more expensive than literally flooding your city).

Yeah they are 2500 HP pumps.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

drat...I feel so sorry for Houston/Texans right now. I'm not even a big fan of Texas. I've never liked the bellicose "don't mess with Texas" wingnuttery that's tended to come from that state, but they don't deserve this mess.

You know that is an anti-littering slogan right?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If it is topped without failure that pretty much means it will continue to hold, right? It should still be better than if it just broke?

But water flowing over the top can and most likely will erode the levees.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mutata posted:

Please, sweet merciful Buddha, don't make this dark timeline even more bleak by having both Roy Moore and Joe Arpaio sworn in as Senators.

Especially don't make it a hat trick with Kid Rock.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

EwokEntourage posted:

You know that is an anti-littering slogan right?

Was, yes. And "gay" was a word that meant happy.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

mutata posted:

Flake is currently polling poorly against the wingnut who is trying to primary him; if Arpaio joins the race, he's most likely going to split the wingnut/Trump vote, so it'll actually make Flake's re-election more likely.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

whew lad

quote:

WASHINGTON — A business associate of President Trump promised in 2015 to engineer a real estate deal with the aid of the president of Russia, Vladimir V. Putin, that he said would help Mr. Trump win the presidency.

The business associate, Felix Sater, wrote a series of emails to Mr. Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen, in which he boasted about his ties to Mr. Putin and predicted that building a Trump Tower in Moscow would be a political boon to Mr. Trump’s candidacy.

“Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it,” Mr. Sater wrote in an email. “I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this, I will manage this process.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/politics/trump-tower-putin-felix-sater.html

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Arpiao lost his re-election for sheriff, he ain't winning a senatorial race.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

The KKK was busted up a ways back when they were constantly sued and fined, so the organization was broken up into smaller independent groups. That way if some klansmen were targeted with lawsuits and the like, only that local group would have to bear the fallout instead of the whole organization

Well, it's not uncommon for terrorist groups to operate in cells, is it?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Arpiao lost his re-election for sheriff, he ain't winning a senatorial race.

lol if he won a primary arizona would see record setting turnout to vote against him.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Another straw on the back of the camel, or is it more of a bale of hay?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He lost in Maricopa county, supposedly one of the more liberal locales in the state. A statewide race would be a different dynamic.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 28, 2017

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Trump teleconference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He lost in my Maricopa county, supposedly one of the more liberal locales in the state. A statewide race would be a different dynamic.

I thought Maricopa country was the land of old white rear end in a top hat voters.

• Locked thread