Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
After the embarrassing - even for his allies - show by Euron in trading weak-rear end Ice Burns and then loving off like the loser he is, anyone really believes in him as the big bad? Guy is more the comic relief than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Decius posted:

"Let's have a drink, while the fancy folk talk." Which is a very Bronn thing at least.

Although it makes less sense now that he's apparently the second in command of Cersei's armies. Unless he's just hanging out with Jamie because the viewers like him... uhh... Jamie really likes dick jokes?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Decius posted:

After the embarrassing - even for his allies - show by Euron in trading weak-rear end Ice Burns and then loving off like the loser he is, anyone really believes in him as the big bad? Guy is more the comic relief than anything.

It was a ruse, he was going to braavos to fetch the golden company, that's what Cersei tells Jaime.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

bloom posted:

Although it makes less sense now that he's apparently the second in command of Cersei's armies. Unless he's just hanging out with Jamie because the viewers like him... uhh... Jamie really likes dick jokes?

Pretty sure hes gonna join Jamie on the road north otherwise that'd be the end of his character. Him and Headey cant even be on screen together.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He is going to wear his valyrian steel armor and defeat the Night King by putting a finger up his bum. Dave Hill.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was a ruse, he was going to braavos to fetch the golden company, that's what Cersei tells Jaime.

The gently caress off part maybe, the early part, no. That was before the Wight.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
How did the unsullied army manage to march all the way to Kings Landing?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

there's a time machine or a teleporter is the answer to all time/distance questions. stop trying to make it make sense

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

LinYutang posted:

Putting one foot after the other? Pillage some villages along the way for food? It's not a particularly long way compared to other distances travelled this season and supposedly enough time has passed.

Of course the real reason is that the script read they would be there. I very much doubt the writers give a poo poo at this point.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

LinYutang posted:

Fast travel points auto-unlock if you preorder The Reach DLC.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
"Spergiest" nitpick I unironically had: they said there's 1 million people in King's Landing.

vs a scene that stuck in my head from When The Show Was Good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6fhp483YU&t=40s
(relevant part at 40 seconds in)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's hard to believe Cersei would lift the siege on the unsullied just so she could have a talkie session with Dany. What if nothing came to fruition at the talks? Then Cersei has just freed the cockless army for no reason at all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

VagueRant posted:

"Spergiest" nitpick I unironically had: they said there's 1 million people in King's Landing.

Nice spot

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

On the subject, while I have no doubt they are playing it straight, the way the scene is performed reminds me very much of Hitler in his bunker insisting Steiner will break through with reinforcements any moment. Cersei being delusional would be a far more interesting direction to go in but oh well

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

VagueRant posted:

"A million, give or take" doesn't sound like he's overly confident in his numbers. Also, there's been quite a lot of wars and pillaging going on since then, which might have caused a whole lot of people to flee to the relative safety of the capital.

Vegetable posted:

It's hard to believe Cersei would lift the siege on the unsullied just so she could have a talkie session with Dany. What if nothing came to fruition at the talks? Then Cersei has just freed the cockless army for no reason at all.

Cersei wasn't sieging the unsullied, she just had Euron burn their ships. They were perfectly free to march wherever they pleased.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
They could've avoided all the teleportation complaints with one line.

Dany, speaking to physical manifestation of time&space: "Bend the knee :smuggo:"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

TheRat posted:

"A million, give or take" doesn't sound like he's overly confident in his numbers. Also, there's been quite a lot of wars and pillaging going on since then, which might have caused a whole lot of people to flee to the relative safety of the capital.

a lot of nerds could have come in from the countryside because of winter too

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Considering how poo poo the rest of the season was I was actually pleased by this episode. Nothing totally retarded happened.

Theon getting kicked to poo poo and then managing to come back against the most easily-winded guy in Westeros because he's impervious to nad kicks since losing his junk was pretty dumb, actually.

I thought the rest of the episode was alright though.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I hope they go all in on Theon's groin immunity super power. Have him deflect swords and arrows with it. Have the ice dragon breathe blue flames at his taint and then look shocked before Theon headbutts it.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

bloom posted:

Putting one foot after the other? Pillage some villages along the way for food? It's not a particularly long way compared to other distances travelled this season and supposedly enough time has passed.

Of course the real reason is that the script read they would be there. I very much doubt the writers give a poo poo at this point.

The show made a big deal about how they were stuck in Casterly Rock. Now they're not?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Euron will sic his dogs on Theon but Theon will simply laugh as they bite his groin.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

LinYutang posted:

The show made a big deal about how they were stuck in Casterly Rock. Now they're not?

Again, magical teleportation.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LinYutang posted:

No it didnt. They made a big deal of how their fleet was smashed. It was never said they couldnt march on foot.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

LinYutang posted:

They were never stuck there and there was no seige. The iron fleet cant seige it they have no engines and cant do poo poo on land.

All the iron fleet did was remove them from the battlefield for the time it took them to march across The Reach to Kings Landing. Also the Lannister forces got a free shot at Highgarden.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Constant posted:

They were never stuck there and there was no seige. The iron fleet cant seige it they have no engines and cant do poo poo on land.

All the iron fleet did was remove them from the battlefield for the time it took them to march across The Reach to Kings Landing. Also the Lannister forces got a free shot at Highgarden.

I know its sperging a bit, but they were able to march all the way across Westeros quite fast, and with apparently 0 opposition. I realize they are on a condensed schedule, but they wouldn't fit one scene showing Grey Warm consulting the Unsullied about a plan, or show them marching? Or maybe a scene with them getting orders saying "new plan, head to Kings Landing"? It smacks of lazy writing, which is what this once great show has been suffering from ever since they left the books behind.

At least the battle scenes are still nice.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Their ships got burned, but they can just march over the countryside. They killed the garrison at Casterly Rock and Danny routed the Lannister's field army, so nothing was standing in their way. Yeah... looking back at E04, here's the argument Tyron and Danny have on the beach after Highgarden falls:

quote:

Danny: All my allies are gone. They've been taken from me while I've been sitting here on this island.

Tyrion: You still have the largest army.

Danny: Who won't be able to eat because Cersei's taken all the food from the Reach.

Tyrion: Call Grey Worm and the Unsullied back, you still have enough ships to carry the Dothraki to the mainland. Commit to the blockade of King's Landing. We have a plan. It's still the right plan.

I swear, half the continuity stuff people bitch about is down to them not paying enough attention.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I know its sperging a bit, but they were able to march all the way across Westeros quite fast, and with apparently 0 opposition. I realize they are on a condensed schedule, but they wouldn't fit one scene showing Grey Warm consulting the Unsullied about a plan, or show them marching? Or maybe a scene with them getting orders saying "new plan, head to Kings Landing"? It smacks of lazy writing, which is what this once great show has been suffering from ever since they left the books behind.

This is what they would have done in the early seasons instead of the army teleportation stuff.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Theres actually a highway that goes right from Casterly Rock to KL called the Goldroad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Daenerys and Jon gonna be all awkward in Season 8 when we learn they both yelled out Jorah's name during sex.

And can you really blame them?

:allears:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Just a bit of :spergin: its about 800 miles from Casterly Rock to KL traveling along the Goldroad from some quick googling.

Caesars Legions could march 25 miles on a good day so lets say the Unsullied are about as competent. That means it took them 32 days to get from CR to KL.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Constant posted:

Just a bit of :spergin: its about 800 miles from Casterly Rock to KL traveling along the Goldroad from some quick googling.

Caesars Legions could march 25 miles on a good day so lets say the Unsullied are about as competent. That means it took them 32 days to get from CR to KL.
Much easier to march when you don't have the risk of penis chafing

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The alternatives being that 1) the underlying assumptions about relative size are unreliable, 2) "miles" and other measurement terms have different meanings or 3) a wizard.

I mean, who cares when characters have been plot lobotimized?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Constant posted:

But what if there was a bunch of rocks blocking their path? Can we get a rockslide expert to chime in here?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

32 days doesn't sound that long. It is unreasonable to think that a month could have passed between the end of episode 6 and the start of 7?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It would have been nice to have a few more brief scenes like that just so we had an idea of what was happening. Instead, a wizard just makes the Unsullied appear at King's Landing at the exact same time as the Dothraki.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Westeros was quietly downsized when Martin realized he made everything too far away.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Who loving cares about the unsullied, they don't matter

The real story is how Tormund is a crisis actor, after the wildlings and NK made a long term pact and the wildlings put wildfire caches inside the wall to blow it up & used the undead dragon as a cover story. Mr. dynamite in this very thread can confirm that through how the wall fell straight down instead of back, which it would've from the blasting from the dragon (which wasn't actually effecting the ice wall)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Skippy McPants posted:

32 days doesn't sound that long. It is unreasonable to think that a month could have passed between the end of episode 6 and the start of 7?

poo poo dude about a month passed during that ice lake scene.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nail Rat posted:

It would have been nice to have a few more brief scenes like that just so we had an idea of what was happening. Instead, a wizard just makes the Unsullied appear at King's Landing at the exact same time as the Dothraki.

Yeah the whole season really could have used some breathing room. There's something to be said for narrative tightness, but this season was downright breakneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Can someone link me to those s8 spoilers that arent verified yet?

• Locked thread