Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is this an example of something the play design team would hopefully catch in future?

Or... I guess anyone along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

The planeswalker change is huge game change. I would expect the 3 cmc's lilies to be more expensive in the short term.

Wow, that is huge. I could see Jund wanting 8 Liliana's in Modern now.

Also, that Jace seems horrible.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

functional errata is bullshit. It is one of the things that has turned me off of X-Wing. You need a loving booklet to look up what cards in that game really do vs. what they say.

Which is why Wizards basically never does it, except in the rare cases like this where the card was basically misprinted. The only other remotely recent example I can think of is Walking Atlas in original Zen block where they forgot to put "artifact" in the type line.

They've bent over backwards to make a lot of old cards actually do what they say under the current rules when it would have been so much easier to tweak their functionality slightly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Wow, that is huge. I could see Jund wanting 8 Liliana's in Modern now.

Also, that Jace seems horrible.

I don't know that horrible is the word but I'm not sure at all what deck would want it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

MrBling posted:

Waker of the Wilds is going to be miserable to face in linited.

In a bygone day they would have forgotten the "you control" part and we'd have a creature with repeatable sinkhole on it. :sigh:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

odiv posted:

Is this an example of something the play design team would hopefully catch in future?

Or... I guess anyone along the way?

quote:

10/17/2013: Marath, Will of the Wild has received minor errata. The text “X can’t be 0” was inadvertently omitted from the card. The correct Oracle wording appears above.

This sorta thing happens every now and then.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Wizards never disappoins when it comes to red mythics and rare enchantments.

I like how a rowdy crew is about the least mythic thing you could possibly imagine seeing in a world of pirates.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm surprised we got the Planeswalker change now, I thought with Amonkhet's story we would be seeing non-legendary/token walkers there.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm surprised we got the Planeswalker change now, I thought with Amonkhet's story we would be seeing non-legendary/token walkers there.

Amonkhet isn't a planeswalker factory, it's a zombie factory

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

vegetables posted:

I like how a rowdy crew is about the least mythic thing you could possibly imagine seeing in a world of pirates.

It's Red and Mythic so of course it's boring as poo poo.

Couldn't be a loving Dinosaur with Haste and Trample, with Enrage - Pyroclasm. You know, a card people would actually be hyped for.

Nope. Have the bog standard lovely draw some cards then pitch those same cards because red isn't allowed to be good at anything shtick.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well, the tokens on Amonkhet were all dead things. No walkers died, as the Jacetice League is too valuable.

Maybe of Ajani came with, they'd deem him worth killing for a cool mechanic (while also pissing off a lot of people).

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like how they're handling the leaks

Jen X fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 28, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GeneX posted:

I like how they're handling thebleaks

I didn't because it confirmed Tishana was lovely.

Cool art tho.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

WoTC changed how mana works in the middle of a block last year.

Nothing matters, changes happen whenever, madness reigns.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They're never gonna print a straight-up non-Legendary Planeswalker now, for the simple reason that it would be horribly confusing alongside all the now-errataed walkers that currently exist.

Imagine having to explain to a new player "no, see this Planeswalker card that doesn't say 'legendary' on it has errata that says it actually does, but this other Planeswalker card that doesn't say 'legendary' on it actually for real isn't legendary!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know that horrible is the word but I'm not sure at all what deck would want it.

The +1 just isn't good. It needs to already have an advantage on board for it to even do anything and the 2/2 is creates isn't super exciting either.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

vegetables posted:

Even a 4 Mana 5/5 with trample wouldn't be mythic. This has all sorts of word soup that all but guarantees I'll open ten of them.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
From the Vault: Errata

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

They're never gonna print a straight-up non-Legendary Planeswalker now, for the simple reason that it would be horribly confusing alongside all the now-errataed walkers that currently exist.

Imagine having to explain to a new player "no, see this Planeswalker card that doesn't say 'legendary' on it has errata that says it actually does, but this other Planeswalker card that doesn't say 'legendary' on it actually for real isn't legendary!"

I mean they could do what they did for the Commander Walkers a few years back.

It could just say at the bottom of the card "[Name] is not legendary."

mcmagic posted:

The +1 just isn't good. It needs to already have an advantage on board for it to even do anything and the 2/2 is creates isn't super exciting either.

Boat Jace was clearly designed in mind to have multiple Boat Jaces giving you overwhelming value.
You ult once and get to defend 3 Jaces with 2 Illusions plus whatever else you might have.
And those Jaces can also ult.

It's my worst nightmare: a Theoretical Sea of Jaces.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i like how they're stealing some mechanics from hearthstone. it's a very pirate thing to do. it's about time magic stole some design from a game that stole a big chunk of its design from magic

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

From the Vault: Errata

Palinchron and Great Whale are on the reserved list. :negative:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Oh hello Wrath to Exile

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

St0rmD posted:

Oh hello Wrath to Exile

While I like your play on words, I'm gonna call this Road to Exile.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Attacking creatures target player controls take up farming.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I've just realized all Walkers are now valid Commanders.

Or will be when Ixalan releases rather.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cernunnos posted:

:swoon:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Planeswalkers aren't creatures hth

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

PJOmega posted:

While I like your play on words, I'm gonna call this Road to Exile.
Seems like more of a highway

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah I'm confused why people think any legendary anything can be a commander

did I miss the part where shivan gorge and jitte can be my commander?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

suicidesteve posted:

Shut up.

Get out of here with your logic.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Nope.

Gotra be a legendary creature.
Otherwise my Genju of the Realms deck would be a tying i could take to events.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The five Planeswalkers that can be commanders have lines of text that specifically say they can be your commander.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You can now tutor any Planeswalker with Captain Sisay I guess.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

:barf:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Cernunnos posted:

Pending an update to the commander rules - commanders still need to be creatures unless otherwise specified. I look forward to it if it happens.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/MTGAlison/status/902213442290847744

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I actually played Commander for the 2nd time Saturday night at my store because I lost a bet. (Someone gave me a Uril? deck?)

It was even worse because it was 5 player FFA and even the first 2 turns took forever. Everytime someone played something they had to read the card and what it did out loud while everyone sat there digesting what they just heard

Then maybe 5 turns later some guy was playing some older mono black legend that did stuff with nightmares I think and then ripped off a infinite combo with Abhorrent Overlord making harpies that could be freely sacced to something and we lost 1 life. It was the dullest poo poo ever.

Literally the worst format.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Went 0-6 on my first FNM draft last Friday. That sucked. On the other hand, it seems like half the room gave me their opened packs because I'm a new player, so that was kinda cool. I now have a playset of Ruin Rats, whoo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Entropic posted:

Hell yeah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I played Hazorat and Attcked on T2 of a Top 8 match in a PPTQ yesterday. I lost that game. AMA.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I played Hazorat and Attcked on T2 of a Top 8 match in a PPTQ yesterday. I lost that game. AMA.

Why is your avatar some random dude in a baseball cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Went 0-6 on my first FNM draft last Friday. That sucked. On the other hand, it seems like half the room gave me their opened packs because I'm a new player, so that was kinda cool. I now have a playset of Ruin Rats, whoo.

I mean, that's bound to happen. Failure is part of learning, so you'll (hopefully) get better at it with more drafts.

For starters, do you have an idea what you did wrong in the draft that left you at 0-6? That would be a good starting point.

P.S.: Also, I've been wondering - what's your avatar from?