Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Lmao at the people personally offended by those who aren't super fans with no critiques of the series

This episode owned, probably the best one (or maybe ep8.) hyped af for the finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Walrus posted:

that wasn't lynch and twin peaks season 2 isn't twin peaks season 3.

My point is that "Did you feel anything?" isn't good enough in and of itself, no matter what show we're watching. There are degrees of quality to that, and I feel that Lynch has done a poor job on a few small occasions here, while making an overall excellent show.

Like, I felt more genuine character from the screaming lady honking her horn than I have Tammy or Steven or Duncan.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kaworu posted:

People are complaining about Richard's entire plotline now being "pointless", and the same with Hutch and Chantal. Calling them "filler". I really despise that term, and want to remind people that "filler" is actually a term derived from anime adaptations of manga, and having to make up entire plot arcs to wait for the source material to catch up. That's what "filler" is.

lol no it isn't you loving weeb.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lmao what an incredible couple of sentences

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Actually the great nipponese invented the concept of storytelling in Anime

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
show has been pretty good and i have been enthralled by every second and it has ruined other tvs shows. fix your hearts or die.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want to get caught looking at fish jpegs

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tolkien minority posted:

Lmao at the people personally offended by those who aren't super fans with no critiques of the series

Can you point those people out please? I've literally said the phrase 'agree to disagree' at least twice, its posts like yours that are worthless as gently caress. You're so bad about this in other threads too, lots of pithy replies and looking down your nose at 'stupid goons' or whatever.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

My point is that "Did you feel anything?" isn't good enough in and of itself, no matter what show we're watching. There are degrees of quality to that, and I feel that Lynch has done a poor job on a few small occasions here, while making an overall excellent show.

Like, I felt more genuine character from the screaming lady honking her horn than I have Tammy or Steven or Duncan.

No I get that, and I see what you're saying. Maybe I should clarify that "did you feel anything" isn't the metric, it's "did you feel what the creator wanted you do" or at least "did you avoid feeling the way the creator didn't want you to".

Tammy and Duncan are construct characters (something someone alluded to earlier which I thought was a great link) created for a metatextual role in the narrative, but I'm surprised to hear you thought that about Steven. His scenes are filled with immediate emotion and are captivating, have important thematic notions in terms of the cycle of evil in twin peaks and the world, and have some great and/or iconic moments (interview with Mike, Becky gazing up into the sky, his suicide). Really think back on the show and try and figure out if it would be the same for you, overall, if Steven and Becky's scenes were not included. They seem insignificant but the role they play is adding to the whole, in my opinion. I really feel like if they cut the sideplots in half but expanded their airtime by 2x it would be a weaker show for it.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The Walrus posted:

I posted about this a few up, would love some more discussion on it rather than the differences of opinion on style or rape :) I think you might be right that Jeffries is working with Mike, but I'm not sure that extends to Coop. The question is though, if Jeffries is working with Mike why would Mike need to pretend to be Jefferies?

I don't think the real jeffries was ever really involved based on the scene when booper confronts jeffries above the convenience store. "I don't have your number."

Seems like Booper is wanting to get at the evil mother with the bent horns but is disconnected from the black lodge / other world, so he needed an intermediary like jeffries to help him find proper coordinates. Knowing this, Mike impersonated Jeffries over electrical lines and communications to snare Booper in a trap. Booper by also being inhabited by Bob sort of knows Mike's tricks or at least suspects them and has been one step ahead. Hence why he used Richard to spring the zappo trap rather than go there himself.

Looks like there's been 3 attempts so far to snare in Booper:

1. Using whatever forces that the black lodge used to use to call Bob back in to the black lodge but was thwarted by the existence of dougie tulpa (coincidentally this allowed a rift for real coop to reaturn)

2. Getting double crossed and shot. Here the woodsman who seem like caretakers for the mischievous conventioneer store lodge folk resuscitated booper and possibly harvested the bob posession egg for something... else?

3. Getting false coordinates to head to the zappo rock but Booper being one step ahead or at least skeptical sent in his bastard son to test if something bad would happen... and it did.

Of course a few things throw off my hypothesis that jeffries wasn't actually involved is that the "numbers" the tea kettle jeffries spews out could have been the coordinates for the zappo rock instead of the place where Booper is supposed to find "Judy." If this is the case then the real Jeffries is possibly in cahoots with Mike and Cooper in their attempts to kill Booper.

I'm hoping the last two episodes explain the following:

1. Who is Judy? Is this really an FBI nickname for the Major ("Judy" Garland, etc...) or something to do with Naido who is "important"
2. What's up with Sarah Palmer, is she possessed by the big nuclear blast bent horn evil "mother" that spews dark vomit onto the world or just an evil frog spirit that came from the "mother"?
3. What happened to the bob egg? Did the woodsman take it back with them, or in that process of smearing boopers blood around did they put it back? Since the show never addresses bob again I assume the bob egg is out of booper for good but where did it go and what's going to happen to it?

G-III fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 28, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Walrus posted:

No I get that, and I see what you're saying. Maybe I should clarify that "did you feel anything" isn't the metric, it's "did you feel what the creator wanted you do" or at least "did you avoid feeling the way the creator didn't want you to".
There's no way to know this, it's all our interpretation.

quote:

Tammy and Duncan are construct characters (something someone alluded to earlier which I thought was a great link) created for a metatextual role in the narrative, but I'm surprised to hear you thought that about Steven. His scenes are filled with immediate emotion and are captivating, have important thematic notions in terms of the cycle of evil in twin peaks and the world, and have some great and/or iconic moments (interview with Mike, Becky gazing up into the sky, his suicide). Really think back on the show and try and figure out if it would be the same for you, overall, if Steven and Becky's scenes were not included. They seem insignificant but the role they play is adding to the whole, in my opinion. I really feel like if they cut the sideplots in half but expanded their airtime by 2x it would be a weaker show for it.
Becky staring into the sky is the only one of these that did anything for me, it's a really great shot. I do think the show would overall have the same feeling without them, but would change a little if it had more of them. Cutting them would only be bad for me because it would mean losing a Bobby scene and every appearance he's had has been charming.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Can you point those people out please?

Raymond Hog posted:

gently caress you

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

G-III posted:

I don't think the real jeffries was ever really involved based on the scene when booper confronts jeffries above the convenience store. "I don't have your number."

Seems like Booper is wanting to get at the evil mother with the bent horns but is disconnected from the black lodge / other world, so he needed an intermediary like jeffries to help him find proper coordinates. Knowing this, Mike impersonated Jeffries over electrical lines and communications to snare Booper in a trap. Booper by also being inhabited by Bob sort of knows Mike's tricks or at least suspects them and has been one step ahead. Hence why he used Richard to spring the zappo trap rather than go there himself.

Looks like there's been 3 attempts so far to snare in Booper:

1. Using whatever forces that the black lodge used to use to call Bob back in to the black lodge but was thwarted by the existence of dougie tulpa (coincidentally this allowed a rift for real coop to reaturn)

2. Getting double crossed and shot. Here the woodsman who seem like caretakers for the mischievous conventioneer store lodge folk resuscitated booper and possibly harvested the bob posession egg for something... else?

3. Getting false coordinates to head to the zappo rock but Booper being one step ahead or at least skeptical sent in his bastard son to test if something bad would happen... and it did.

Of course a few things throw off my hypothesis that jeffries wasn't actually involved is that the "numbers" the tea kettle jeffries spews out could have been the coordinates for the zappo rock instead of the place where Booper is supposed to find "Judy." If this is the case then the real Jeffries is possibly in cahoots with Mike and Cooper in their attempts to kill Booper.

I'm hoping the last two episodes explain the following:

1. Who is Judy? Is this really an FBI nickname for the Major ("Judy" Garland, etc...) or something to do with Naido who is "important"
2. What's up with Sarah Palmer, is she possessed by the big nuclear blast bent horn evil "mother" that spews dark vomit onto the world or just an evil frog spirit that came from the "mother"?

Great post! But I do think the coordinates are a big mark against your theory. It really does seem like Teapot Jefferies gives cooper false coordinates, and appears to have been working with Ray. The real coordinates came from the military base by way of Hastings, through his secretary's arm and then Diane. But like I mentioned earlier this still doesn't totally jive. There was so much going on in that Jeffries scene and if some of it was lies it throws everything else into a different relief.

Is there *any* chance that the military base coordinates are false? it doesn't really seem so, they are the set that is disconnected from the other two, which came from Ray and Jefferies who we know are linked.

My big questions for the finale:

1. What is the Noise
2. Where is Jerry?
3. Where is Audrey?
4. Is Bob still with Bad Cooper?

I mean I have other questions but I don't expect them to be answered.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 28, 2017

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Can you point those people out please?
Follow the anime avatar and all your questions shall be answered.

I have a dream that Jerry Horne and Green Glove guy will team up during the finale to become an unstoppable force of shades of green.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I expect at least a dozen "Leo under a cage of spiders" moments in the finale.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The real Diane got turned into a green plastic glove in a Hardware Store in England a ways back. Pretty sure that's in the book.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't even get me started on pink slime

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

The Walrus posted:

There was a ton of importance to those characters and plot, both in terms of actual events in the series as well as to set up important themes and worldbuilding at the beginning of the season. It was the first indication that there were humans working with the black lodge spirits, it was where Evil Cooper initially got the coordinates to twin peaks (the only true coordinates at that), it was a link between Briggs and the curret investigation beyond a floating head, and it was the path that lead the FBI to actually seeing the woodsmen. Posts like this are nuts. Every side plot has at least some importance. Even Duncan Todd (though I'd have to think harder about that one :) )
I said Hastings's wife and lawyer. Not Hastings himself and his entire subplot. What exactly did his wife and lawyer do to facilitate the plot? If they don't come into play next week, they had no reason to exist at all. They didn't enrich the William Hastings character and the 12 minutes he was on screen prior to the investigation.

For the record, I loved the Hastings stuff. I'm just unclear as to why we needed to see his wife and lawyer having an affair and such, if we spent so little time with those people. They didn't make me "feel" anything besides "Hey so what was their deal?" 2 months later.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 28, 2017

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My number one thing I want followed up on but probably wont is the guy who was supposed to meet andy but didn't show up and is now dead(?)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad they straight up said the word rape so a bunch of goons couldn't misconstrue it again and call other people sick for thinking that

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Great post! But I do think the coordinates are a big mark against your theory. It really does seem like Teapot Jefferies gives cooper false coordinates, and appears to have been working with Ray. The real coordinates came from the military base by way of Hastings, through his secretary's arm and then Diane. But like I mentioned earlier this still doesn't totally jive. There was so much going on in that Jeffries scene and if some of it was lies it throws everything else into a different relief.

Is there *any* chance that the military base coordinates are false? it doesn't really seem so, they are the set that is disconnected from the other two, which came from Ray and Jefferies who we know are linked.

My big questions for the finale:

1. What is the Noise
2. Where is Jerry?
3. Where is Audrey?
4. Is Bob still with Bad Cooper?

I mean I have other questions but I don't expect them to be answered.

Be honest dude. You'll find a way to justify anything Lynch puts out, even if it's just a static shot of him taking a poo poo for 2 hours.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm glad they straight up said the word rape so a bunch of goons couldn't misconstrue it again and call other people sick for thinking that

But maybe Evil Coop only said "my son" to Richard in a sarcastic figurative way you creepy rape-obsessed goon!!!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Basticle posted:

My number one thing I want followed up on but probably wont is the guy who was supposed to meet andy but didn't show up and is now dead(?)

Wasn't the prevailing theory was that he was Billy?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm glad the show made implicit the fact that Coop didn't mind Janey-E raping him.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

It feels like a thousand years since that guy and gal got gibbed by the thing that came out of the glass box. Did that monster/whose box that is get explained yet?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It feels like a thousand years since that guy and gal got gibbed by the thing that came out of the glass box. Did that monster/whose box that is get explained yet?

We found out Evil Coop is the dude who owned the penthouse/box and the monster is very similar to the thing in ep 8 that puked out the BOB and Frogroach eggs

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cromulent posted:

I said Hastings's wife and lawyer. Not Hastings himself and his entire subplot. What exactly did his wife and lawyer do to facilitate the plot? If they don't come into play next week, they had no reason to exist at all. They didn't enrich the William Hastings character and the 12 minutes he was on screen prior to the investigation.

For the record, I loved the Hastings stuff. I'm just unclear as to why we needed to see his wife and lawyer having an affair and such, if we spent so little time with those people. They didn't make me "feel" anything besides "Hey so what was their deal?" 2 months later.

But they did enrich the Hastings character - that scene where his wife comes to visit him in the prison cell and the revalations of both their infidelity was one of the most emotionally charged in the premiere. The visceral hatred of Hastings really stuck with me. Also, his wife was having an affair with Bad Cooper in addition to the lawyer. This stuff might not seem signficant but it all adds to the whole in my mind. And it's all fairly economical at that, did the lawyer and wife have more than one 3 minute scene that was solely about them?

Ten Wasted Dollars posted:

Be honest dude. You'll find a way to justify anything Lynch puts out, even if it's just a static shot of him taking a poo poo for 2 hours.

My only experience with Lynch before Twin Peaks S1 was watching Mulholland Drive in high school and not really getting it, and watching Elephant Man and not knowing it was David Lynch. Since, I've only watched Blue Velvet otherwise.

Actually, coincidentally because it directly disproves you, the girlfriend and I tried to watch Rabbits this weekend and couldn't do it. It might work as a gallery piece that's continually playing in a room but as a 'show' with a beginning and end it was beyond bad. maybe that was the point though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Walrus you should check Lynch's other stuff out- his actual feature films at least. I think you'd probably like them.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

It was reaching "Shannon was stabbed" levels of not comprehending what is shown on screen.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

So I've got this wild idea in my head for the final Roadhouse show...
The Log Lady actress died in September of 2015. Bowie died in Jan of 2016.
See where I'm going with this? How impossible would it be for the cast/crew to be completely silent of a posthumous Bowie performance?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait did he just go there to kill Richard? Holy poo poo

Also Booper was his dad after all, oh my god

He went there to test one of the two coordinates from the three sources, Philip Jefferies, Ray and Diane (via Librarians arm).
Two of the coordinates were a trap to try and kill Booper, but he had his kid around to throw into the trap.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Escobarbarian posted:

We found out Evil Coop is the dude who owned the penthouse/box

No we didn't

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, we did, but ok

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DevCore posted:

See where I'm going with this? How impossible would it be for the cast/crew to be completely silent of a posthumous Bowie performance?

He went there to test one of the two coordinates from the three sources, Philip Jefferies, Ray and Diane (via Librarians arm).
Two of the coordinates were a trap to try and kill Booper, but he had his kid around to throw into the trap.

I would imagine Julee Cruise is the final episode performance. And I would think that given the option of getting him for a roadhouse performance or for getting him to actually reprise his character, Lynch would choose the latter.

Raxivace posted:

Walrus you should check Lynch's other stuff out- his actual feature films at least. I think you'd probably like them.

on it! Blue Velvet was watched since S3 started. Actually, I watched FWWM once S3 had started also. I really was/am a lynch neophyte. But I've already got Eraserhead ready to go, and I'm thinking since I've loved all of his output I've encounted so far maybe a chronological viewing would be best.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

DevCore posted:

When was Bowie's last public appearance? He may not have wanted to be seen/filmed/immortalized in some way if he was seriously ill for a long time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hanales posted:

When was Bowie's last public appearance? He may not have wanted to be seen/filmed/immortalized in some way if he was seriously ill for a long time.

he made and sold an album about his impending death so it's not that :)

unless he wanted that to be the *only* way he was immortalized near his death.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he was probably working to make sure the album was done before he croaked.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
there isn't a bowie performance
but if there was
it would blow my mind

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Walrus posted:

he made and sold an album about his impending death so it's not that :)

unless he wanted that to be the *only* way he was immortalized near his death.

I think he probably wanted to return for season 3 but using what health and time he had left to finish his final project and be with his family was more important. I imagine we would have seen him in the show in Lynch had started filming a year earlier.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The final Roadhouse performance is going to be Angelo Badalamenti

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
*final episode, final scene*

*pan slowly to David Bowie on stage with guitar*

*David slowly tunes the guitar*

*David leans forward into microphone. "Test, test," says David*

*David stands up, gives Thumbs Up to somebody off stage*

*David walks off stage, James Hurley walks up, picks up guitar, begins playing Just You*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The final scene will be a live performance of Crazy Clown Time by Lynch.