Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MizPiz posted:

I just want to say something to the whiny little bitch that got all the cool poo poo taken away from the playgrounds when I was a kid:

gently caress you

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ghosthorse posted:

I know a lot of people think this but my public school was actually responsible for the playground change up in Ontario in the early 90's. We had a 12' tall climbing section and a girl fell off it onto a lower section and broke her neck. She was in a halo brace for like 2 or 3 years
It's ok it was natural selection and survival of the fittest.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Reverse vampire?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

:nws:https://scontent.fman1-2.fna.fbcdn....e2e&oe=5A5B8A37:nws:

MOD EDIT: Even with spoiler tags the image downloads so direct link it instead, this isn't the first time

woah

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
You haven't lived until you've been on a Witch's Hat. It was like a cone balanced on a tall pole that could flop around and spin. I remember being like 7-8 and getting on the one in the park (now long gone) with the older kids. If you somehow got inside that ring, you pretty much just died.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i wanna ride the cone of tragedy

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

im pooping! posted:

i wanna ride the cone of tragedy

Funnily enough that's what my ex said to me last time we drunkenly hooked up

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Funnily enough that's what my ex said to me last time we drunkenly hooked up

hell, same

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

You would have thought it was the Hope Diamond.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

All I can see is the excited face of the car's gearshift and AC dials.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I was in St. Louis for an Indycar race over the weekend and stopped by the City Museum before we left. It is incredible. Along with the playground elements they also have a cafe on every level, a taxidermy/entomology room, architecture museum (which is expanding), an art gallery, and a ferris wheel on the roof about 11 floors up. There is a disclaimer on your wristband stating that any injury or damage you incur is not the fault of the city museum, enter at your own risk. I went down the huge slide on the roof, which ends in a tunnel, and had to brake myself HARD with my hands and feet against the sides because someone let their little boy climb into the exit, a bend just at the end of the slide. He saw me coming and SCREAMED and scrambled out of there. The moral of this story is if you take your kids there, watch out for the slides. Some of them are not marked yet.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

RoboRodent posted:

Couple of years back my sister called up the local gymnastics club and asked them if they still did birthday parties. They said yes. Then she asked them if they could do an adult birthday party. They kind of paused and then said, well we've never done that but we don't see why not.

So after my sister's birthday dinner, we went and jumped on trampolines and off spring boards and such for a while. We all chipped in like $10 to cover the cost, I think.

I did a similar thing for a work offsite then immediately broke my leg on a trampoline.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

pr0zac posted:

I did a similar thing for a work offsite then immediately broke my leg on a trampoline.

My buddy works for a programming company that takes day trips to places all the time for company bonding. They went to one of those trampoline facilities that people can bounce off walls and poo poo. Within 15 minutes 5 people had rolled ankles, jacked up their knees, and in 2 cases torn acls.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At my job we just go go-karting and give each other whiplash.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
At my job most people just drink and play golf together then come to work and talk about drinking and playing golf together

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

At my job most people just drink and play golf together then come to work and talk about drinking and playing golf together

How is Ron White lately?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Ron White. :yaycloud:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

How is Ron White lately?

I don't know who that is

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't know who that is

They call him "Tater Salad."

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
My elementary school playground had this like 12ft tall bar tower thing. It had a pole on the side. I guess the intention was kids would climb up the inside and then slide down the bar. Instead they got hundreds of kids doing backflips from over 10ft up onto stone playground filling. Lots of fun injuries. We all had an unspoken agreement to lie about it's safety to keep it too.

"How did you get this rock embedded in your hand?"
"I tripped and fell on it."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ghosthorse posted:

I know a lot of people think this but my public school was actually responsible for the playground change up in Ontario in the early 90's. We had a 12' tall climbing section and a girl fell off it onto a lower section and broke her neck. She was in a halo brace for like 2 or 3 years

I moved out of Ontario in 1990 when I was 11. Revisited a couple years ago and the playgrounds in my old neighborhood were gone, nothing but flat grass now. When I visited before in 2003 one of them at least had the sand pit but no structures.

I was talking about this with a friend from London, ON and he told me that in his neighborhood, the playgrounds were also made of thick timber beams (same as mine) and some kid managed to get his head stuck in the gap between two of them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I apologize to those from Arkansas, but this picture is more or less what I picture when I think of Arkansas.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

I like Ron White. :yaycloud:

Me too. Did you see his 2016 show? I about died.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

Me too. Did you see his 2016 show? I about died.

Ooooh, no I didn't. Is it on bluray or something, or was it a live show?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

Ooooh, no I didn't. Is it on bluray or something, or was it a live show?

It was live in Austin

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, poo poo.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

My buddy works for a programming company that takes day trips to places all the time for company bonding. They went to one of those trampoline facilities that people can bounce off walls and poo poo. Within 15 minutes 5 people had rolled ankles, jacked up their knees, and in 2 cases torn acls.

"What would be a great activity for people with atrophied everything because they spend all their time sitting?"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Trampolines lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I remember a giant rocketship too at my preschool. It was in the courtyard and the building was built in 1969, just the right time for SPACE to be in the minds of all children. I attended in the early 90s so it was a bit rusty with flaking paint, but it seemed enormously tall.

I also seem to recall a number of other space themed equipment, like Apollo capsule jungle gyms.

They seemed old to me even when I was little and I didn't recognize the shape. I found a Pinterest page full of playground equipment from the past, which is ringing a lot of nostalgia bells in my brain.

Now my local playground has a jungle gym made with some kind of bungee cords which looks like you could strangle yourself on it.

One playground not far from me has a similar "Submarine" jungle gym, that resembles something like a Gato-class boat. I'm kinda amazed its still there because it may even pre-date the space-craze.

When I was a little grabber, the local elementary school had a great playground. The district was never very well funded, and it looks like the city simply took whatever leftovers they had in the Department of Public Works yard, because it was mostly telephone poles, cement sewer culverts, packed earth and old tires. The result was more like a military obstacle course than a playground but we loved it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I went to a playground once.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

They had stuff there.

E: now they have different stuff. Crazy.

E2: did I mention that I have fond memories of being a child and playing?

E3: at the playground.

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Aug 28, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

JoelJoel posted:

They had stuff there.

lol this is so true!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JoelJoel posted:

They had stuff there.

:goonsay:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

mind the walrus posted:

There need to be more adult jungle gyms. I don't mean like professional tag or for intensive circuits and self-serious bullshit. I mean reasonably safe playground-style equipment adults can freeplay on. Most people get the best whole body workouts when they aren't following some rigid plan that sucks all the joy out of motion, so facilitate that.

Blockbuster did try something like that in 2 places - Albuquerque and Indianapolis. Blockbuster Block Party was basically a proto Dave & Busters with an enclosed jungle gym/ball pit/obstacle course. Blockbuster never capitalized on the idea but the thing that ruined it for me was the fact that the gym area was repeatedly closed down because a couple would gently caress in the ball pit, someone would find the condom, and it would have to be sanitized.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

I went to a playground once.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot