Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Slime posted:

The PTR is a loving awful, awful, AWFUL goddamn way of testing balance because it jams good players up against bad players and the good players use a new tool a little and the bad players die and scream NERF. At least with actual matchmaking it at least tries to match people of relatively equal skill.

I like how the devs complained on the forums that not enough people played on PTR. They do such a bad job with it. I always have issues logging in or playing with friends or not being able to find a game mode that I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Wouldn't high-damage tanks seriously disrupt the dive macro?

doomfist already did that

well at least he did it in regions where people aren't terrified of change, so basically not in na/eu

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else having problems saving highlights on PS4? I keep pressing the button mapped to the save highlight button during POTG, and I even get the message saying that it has been saved, but then my highlights menu is completely empty (or full of other clips the game saved on its own).

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Slime posted:

The PTR is a loving awful, awful, AWFUL goddamn way of testing balance because it jams good players up against bad players and the good players use a new tool a little and the bad players die and scream NERF. At least with actual matchmaking it at least tries to match people of relatively equal skill.

I don't think the PTR is about balance testing so much as it is free bug testing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they've said as much themselves

Montalvo posted:

Is anyone else having problems saving highlights on PS4? I keep pressing the button mapped to the save highlight button during POTG, and I even get the message saying that it has been saved, but then my highlights menu is completely empty (or full of other clips the game saved on its own).

idk anything about that but you could just hit the share button instead since it's way better than their highlight system anyway

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Slime posted:

The PTR has relaxed matchmaking because there is generally significantly less traffic on the PTR than there is on live. That's also why there are less available playlists. The PTR is better than no community testing, which is the alternative.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Father Wendigo posted:

I don't think the PTR is about balance testing so much as it is free bug testing.

Like Manatee Cannon said, this is Blizzard's official stance on the PTR. Nonetheless it's still important to bear in mind that Twitch clips of streamers dunking on their fans isn't going to give you a very good picture of how significant changes shake out but honestly even firsthand experience on the PTR isn't going to give you a very clear picture either because the PTR attracts a fraction of the main playerbase, and of those who do use it many of them treat it as little more than an extended arcade mode.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I came back to this game because I have a group of friends I can do comp with and for some reason I can't bind PTT to my mouse 4 like I used to. Anyone know a fix?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
is SOP for event endings for it to end late or early on monday? need to plan those last minute skin purchases

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

is SOP for event endings for it to end late or early on monday? need to plan those last minute skin purchases

It can last for a while into the afternoon PST but I'd still probably buy anything you want this evening just to be on the safe side.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it ends either tomorrow or early tuesday

tbh I bought my skins early this time because the lower dup chances means it's really unlikely that I'll end up regretting it

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's likely that the end will sync with the season finish tomorrow, but it's always hard to say for sure.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
well i've tapped out my blue items and all i get is still 15 overcoins for them now. i thought they were increasing the amount that dupes give

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i think they said they increased the frequency of coin drops to compensate for less duplicates, not that they increased the amount of coins dupes give

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

kumba posted:

i think they said they increased the frequency of coin drops to compensate for less duplicates, not that they increased the amount of coins dupes give

For every arcade box and level up this event I've seen my coin balance increase by 110. It's all RNG, anyway.

Speaking of poo poo, it's time to pinch off those last two placement matches for Comp today.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

kumba posted:

They didn't get their math right when tuning that coin drop rate, because currency accrues way, way slower than it did before. Racking up 3000 over the course of the event just wasn't reasonably doable this time.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Supercar Gautier posted:

They didn't get their math right when tuning that coin drop rate, because currency accrues way, way slower than it did before. Racking up 3000 over the course of the event just wasn't reasonably doable this time.
Except that you're also now pretty much guaranteed (unless you've maxed out categories of items) to get only new items in the loot boxes. It wouldn't make sense to be able to accrue 3000 credit at the same speed as before and get only non-duplicates as then why would anyone ever buy loot boxes?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

IIRC Kaplan explicitly said you were supposed to accrue currency at the same or greater rate than before. Whether or not you think it makes sense, it's what they said they would do.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've gotten way fewer duplicates lately but I've still gotten a number of them, and it doesn't seem like it always goes out of its way to prevent you from rolling dupes even when there's plenty of stuff in a similar category that I haven't gotten yet, but I've definitely had zero boxes where it's like 3-4 duplicates all at once.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i have never gotten a dupe since the lootbox patch up until the point I got my last blue item in the pool

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there a meta for Lucioball or something? I've been playing it to get my arcade wins today and everyone keeps saying I'm bad. I didn't know there was a super strategic way to play crazy soccer.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

There are some things that help. Like:

Never let a shot go unchallenged -- always always make sure someone is counterbooping at the same time.
Don't time your boops wrong. It is possible.
Don't play keeper pingpong unless you have a guy that is going for the slam dunk down there. Shoot for the corners instead.
Don't play the ball across the field in your own half
Know when to come out as keeper
Cover your keeper when he goes to the side to clear
Wall ride back and forth so you are playing offense and defense
Don't clear it on the ground. You look up like 85 degrees to get a chip shot.

Beyond that it's just knowing the angles so you are standing in the right place and booping in the right direction.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I haven't seen any duplicates since the change, but boxes with grays and blues feel even worse to get than before. At least before when you'd get a dupe of one you got a consolation prize of a few gold, now you just get nothing. Since everything that can come out of them is so cheap to buy outright it just feels like a wasted box most of the time that doesn't even help me towards buying what I want like they used to. Don't get me wrong, I still think this way is better but they need to turn coin drops up by a bit because getting unlucky and not getting the skin you want in a box means the grind to 3k coins is even more of a random slog than it was before.

I managed to scrape enough together to buy Sombra's skin, at least. It's the only event one I got besides Widowmaker's (who I don't play), but thanks game for giving me both of tracer's old summer skins and one of lucio's I guess. :tootzzz:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i have never gotten a dupe since the lootbox patch up until the point I got my last blue item in the pool

I'm only level 450-something so I'm not out of blues yet, but yeah I haven't gotten a single duplicate at all since the change

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Some toxic rear end in a top hat posted:

"disruptive gameplay". In quickplay. What.

So much for the reports being verified. Jesus you aren't even safe in quickplay lol. The system is clearly automated and abusable.

How do you even be disruptive in quickplay?

Jeff Kaplan posted:

We checked the IP address of the account you posted from and found a suspended account.

That account has a total of 2247 complaints filed against it -- making it one of the worst offending accounts we've seen. The account has also been silenced for a total of 9216 hours. There are 3 gameplay suspensions on the account as well as 7 silences against this account (these are for abusive chat and/or spam). There is also a manual GM account suspension for "massive griefing" levied.

So I'm not sure if that's the account you're referring to or not, but someone from your IP has been a less-than-ideal OW citizen.

If that's not your account, please let us know what the BattleTag is and I'm happy to look into it further. The last thing we want is good, upstanding members of the community being punished unfairly.

:vince:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
"That was my brother!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Okay, credit where it's due, that's the sort of Jeff Kaplan post I'd like to see more of.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's full of specific information that actually means what he's suggesting it means, so yeah, that'd be nice.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Theres this dude on my team, low plat, who has 176 hours on Junkrat this season alone.

Good god.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Santheb posted:

Theres this dude on my team, low plat, who has 176 hours on Junkrat this season alone.

Good god.

Let people have their fun and don't judge unless they're being a toxic asshat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Santheb posted:

Good god.

Junkrat is good

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's full of specific information that actually means what he's suggesting it means, so yeah, that'd be nice.

On the other hand, the fact that this guy was allowed to rack up over 2000 separate reports and a year of silences before someone pulled the trigger on him makes it abundantly clear that Blizzard's griefer/thrower handling policies are in drastic need of an overhaul.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
2 conc mines will make junkrat legit way better in the near future

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kai Tave posted:

On the other hand, the fact that this guy was allowed to rack up over 2000 separate reports and a year of silences before someone pulled the trigger on him makes it abundantly clear that Blizzard's griefer/thrower handling policies are in drastic need of an overhaul.

I was thinking the same. It's funny to see the whole rap sheet get put on blast in front of everyone, but at the same time, how was this dude still playing until now with that rap sheet?!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Because they didn't start punishing people effectively until recently when they did the aforementioned report system overhaul.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Because they didn't start punishing people effectively until recently when they did the aforementioned report system overhaul.

"Effectively" is a bit of a stretch since the guy only got a week ban, and only on his main account

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

I didn't know DuckandCover posted on the Overwatch forums too.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
If people are interested, I recently did an interview with Darin De Paul (VA of Reinhardt) about how life was treating him, 12 months post-Overwatch release.

Spoiler: pretty awesome.

http://www.doyouevengamebro.net/darin-de-paul-drops-hammer-12-months-reinhardt/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a cock shaped fruit posted:

If people are interested, I recently did an interview with Darin De Paul (VA of Reinhardt) about how life was treating him, 12 months post-Overwatch release.

Spoiler: pretty awesome.

http://www.doyouevengamebro.net/darin-de-paul-drops-hammer-12-months-reinhardt/

Anything about how he handles what must be a stupendous amount of abdominal straining to produce the Reinhardt voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

FAUXTON posted:

Anything about how he handles what must be a stupendous amount of abdominal straining to produce the Reinhardt voice?

It's pretty bonkers because he isn't a huge dude, but he sounds massive when Reinhardt'ing.

Edit: Randomly paused the video in the article and got full exposure to the 'Reinhardt Face'

Double edit: in fact, in a 23 seconds video this is a selection of this expressions:

...and finally:

He really is my favourite human.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 29, 2017