Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Still hoping for that slasher movie punishment for ditching Todd and going after Lauren

e: update on previous page, it's pretty dumb y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
OK, now let's eat from the left pocket because the right was wrong.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Rebonack7 posted:

Scratch that, just remembered there's an "it's all a dream - OR WAS IT?!" scenario on the Smarts Box path. I might just offer that achievement after all if we get it...

well obviously we need to open the Smarts Box now

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

Yeah. Smart was right.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

This. We're getting that drat achievement.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Let's follow the sequence of events here. Need loses WarHammer toys to a bully so we leave him and go to the campfire where the bully says there are werewolves so we head back and meet back up with the nerd. Then we go looking for WarHams in the woods and meet a troll but we eat cereal that makes us strong but it gives the troll power over us so we go look for WarHammer toys in the library. The troll wants them but we go into the basement and it turns into a cave and meet the nerd again and see a treasure room but it isn't treasure so we climb back up the stairs but then get turned around and find the nerd again and eat more cereal.

This sounds like the fever dream a WarHammer obsessed 12 year old with a secret crush on his friend would have.

Other pocket, let's close out this path.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
So wait, did we have the fish cereal with us all along? Did the troll somehow slip it into our pocket without us noticing? If so, why? Did he anticipate us trapping him, then running down some stairs, then running back up the stairs but getting so weak we need magic strength cereal to make it all the way up, but then eating from the wrong pocket and turning into fish? It seems to have backfired, since he can't use us to search for the figurines anymore.

For that matter, why were we giving the mind control O's to our friends, anyway? Wouldn't it be better to just sit for a minute and let them catch their breath?

Let's look in our left pocket instead. I'm sure if we continue on this path we'll get a satisfying explanation that reveals the troll's motivations and ties everything together.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the only time we have ever defended todd from anyone

anyway yeah other pocket end this misery

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
This book is terrible and I need to invalidate it whenever possible, gotta go Smarts Box path for the all-just-a-dream trifecta.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Next vote for Smarts Box or other pocket takes it.

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015
Smarts Box.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Smart move. You toss the SMARTS BOX to Todd. "Here, catch!" you shout.

Todd misses. The box falls to the ground, and the top flies open.

"I can't look!" Lauren cries, still hiding her eyes.

"Cereal!" Todd exclaims. "Cherry-O's!"

Sure enough, cherry-colored O's spill out of the box. The snarling werewolf's eyes light up when it sees food. It sniffs the ground where the O's spilled. Its fangs spear one. The werewolf pulls the O-shaped cereal out of its drooling mouth and stares at it. The werewolf can't seem to decide whether to eat it or play with it.

A piece of the SMARTS BOX cereal is lying on the ground near your foot. You pick it up, smell it, and pop it into your mouth. It tastes like ordinary Cherry-O's.

But as soon as you swallow it, you know there's nothing ordinary about this cereal. Your head feels strange. Ideas and thoughts fill your mind faster than you can blink.

What's happening to me? you wonder.

quote:

Your mind is racing. In seconds, every math fact you ever learned pops into your head. Every spelling word you ever studied flashes before you. The theory of relativity, the Gettysburg Address, a map of Marco Polo's entire journey - you know it all. Every fact and every piece of trivia you've ever heard is right there in your mind. You've never felt so smart in your life.

"The O's!" you exclaim. "The cereal in the SMARTS BOX is smart food!"

"Let's be smart, then," Lauren cries, peeking out from behind her hands. "Let's run while the werewolf is busy with the food!"

Immediately your brilliant brain has another idea.

"We're going to capture this werewolf and show it to the world," you announce.

"Don't be stupid!" Lauren shouts. "We have to run - now!"

Think fast! What is it going to be?

If you try to capture the werewolf, turn to PAGE 16.

If you decide to run, race as fast as you can to PAGE 45.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Smart O's:siren:

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Dropped Todd down a bottomless pit.
Gave the book the chance to pull some "all just a dream" bullshit on us.
Turned into a paper lantern because we failed a literature quiz.
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!
Ambushed by a werewolf masquerading as a doctor.
Got another loving "all just a dream" ending.
Ate the wrong magic cereal and turned into a fish.

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.
Gyzacck: Gyzacck? Gyzacck.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I'm sure we can come up with a clever way to either capture the werewolf or die trying.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
We’re the smartest we’ll ever be, so we must have just had our best idea ever. Capture

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Man, smart people are real dumb. Let's commit to our bad idea and capture it

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

If I know anything about smart people, it's that they ignore the dumb ideas of dumb people. Let's nab us a werewolf.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I support any option that looks like it'll lead to more werewolves and fewer trolls. Capture the werewolf.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Capture!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Let's nab ourselves a wolf for SCIENCE. Now that we've grown smart enough to develop a sense of hubris, it behooves us to succumb to it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

We didn't eat run-fast Os. We ate brain food. And that means we listen to our terrible ideas!

Capture the wolf!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You're sure it is a smart idea to capture the werewolf. You remember all the old ape movies on TV. King Kong was captured! Mighty Joe Young was captured! And now you will carry on the tradition when you capture this werewolf! Scientists will be grateful to you. You'll be famous. And besides, how else can you prove you really saw one?

The hairy beast is still sniffing at the cereal on the ground. It shouldn't be too difficult to trap it.

"Throw me your sweatshirt," you call to Todd. Your super-smart mind has already figured out how to use the sweatshirt to blind the werewolf. "While the werewolf is sniffing the O's, we'll catch it," you whisper.

"But what about finding my box?" Todd complains.

"Never mind that now," you say. You stand behind the werewolf. It's clearly interested in only one thing now - eating the red O's.

Todd stands next to you. He is ready to help in the capture. "I'll count to three," you explain. "Then we'll grab the werewolf. One, two..."

quote:

"...three!" you shout. You spring forward.

"We did it!" Todd says. He moves out of the way and watches you.

"What is this 'we' business?" you ask. You struggle alone to tie the sweatshirt around the werewolf's eyes.

It is a well-known fact that if an animal's eyes are covered, it will not resist capture. You have no idea where that information came from. It just popped into your brain. But you know that you know everything now.

Todd suddenly decides to help. He reaches for one end of the sweatshirt. By mistake he grabs the hair on the back of the werewolf's neck.

The werewolf roars in pain. It fights and struggles to escape. It turns in Lauren's direction. Her eyes are still covered with her hands, so she doesn't know what's about to happen. Even you and your smart mind can't stop the werewolf. It's going right for Lauren's face!

quote:

The werewolf pounces on Lauren.

You scream. Todd screams. And Lauren...

...laughs!

"Hey, that tickles!" She giggles as she rolls on the ground with the werewolf. Her eyes aren't covered anymore. "Wolfie, stop!"

"Wolfie?" you and Todd repeat together.

You can't figure out what she means. The smartness from the cereal must have worn off. Why in the world would she be laughing?

You shine the flashlight on the werewolf. It's licking, not biting, Lauren's face.

"This isn't a werewolf," Lauren says. And in the light from the flashlight you see Lauren is right. It's not a werewolf at all.

"Wolfie is the dog from next door!" Lauren explains, hugging the hairy animal.

Oh well, so much for the great wild werewolf you were going to capture and donate to science. Good-bye to all those brilliant ideas. It looks like your chance to be famous just came to

THE END

drat it, now all we have is this box of magic cereal that grants enhanced intellect and total recall! How are we supposed to make any cool scientific discoveries now?

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Smart O's

Bad Endings
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!
:siren:Wasted our super-smarts on catching a dog.:siren:

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.

Our options posted:

• Enter the cave.
  • Howl at the werewolves.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Break free of the troll's spell.
  • Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.
  • Eat from the left pocket.
  • Run from the werewolf.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

And I ran
I ran so far away

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Leraika posted:

And I ran
I ran so far away

I just ran
I ran all night and day

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I just ran
I ran all night and day

I couldn't get away

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Leraika posted:

And I ran
I ran so far away

I just ran
I ran all night and day

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Run!" you shout.

You take off, holding the boxes in your arms. You glance back to see if Lauren and Todd are following. It's so dark in the woods, you can't find your friends.

"We're right behind you," Lauren assures you.

"Run!" you shout again. Then your whole body smacks up against a tree trunk. "Oooff!" you gasp. The impact knocks the air right out of you.

"Ooooff!" Lauren adds, slamming into your back.

"Ooooff!" Todd cries. He plows into Lauren.

You feel the ache of sudden airlessness. But the ache instantly turns into a stinging feeling all over your legs, arms, neck, and face.

"Ouch! Ooo! Youch!" Todd screams. He jumps up and down, then rolls on the ground. "Red fire ants!"

quote:

"Todd's right," you say for the first time. "This tree trunk is a big red fire ant colony!" You flip the switch on your flashlight. The light reveals thousands of angry ants marching on their enemies - you, Todd, and Lauren!

"These things will eat us alive!" Todd shouts. "I did a science report about them once."

"Shouldn't we get out of here?" Lauren asks. She slaps at a column of ants crawling up her bare legs. Their bites and stings make Lauren's legs puff up immediately. She can't get the red ants off her body. The ants keep stinging as they march toward her neck and face.

"Should we go back and face the werewolf?" Todd asks you.

"Or should we stay here and get eaten alive by these fire ants?" Lauren asks.

It's all up to you. You decide.

If you turn back and risk meeting the werewolf, go to PAGE 18.

If you battle the army of ants, turn to PAGE 35.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Smart O's

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
Wasted our super-smarts on catching a dog.

Achievements

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Let's play with the ants.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

ants seems like it'll get us to a bad end faster

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've directly interacted with a werewolf except for that doctor guy and it just turned out to be a dog.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

What is this book? :psyduck: I guess let's die to fire ants.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

What is this book? :psyduck:

Bad.

We came to see a werewolf, dammit!

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is just ridiculous! Ants

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Ant Battle!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to take on the army of red fire ants.

"I've got an idea," you announce. You swat a large ant off your arm and turn to Todd. "Here," hold this SMARTS BOX while I feed the ants some of these Cherry-O's from it."

You grab a handful of O's out of the box. Then you scatter most of them at the base of the ant-filled tree trunk. You put the remaining cereal in your pocket.

"It's working!" Lauren exclaims. "The ants are all heading straight for the O's!"

Sure enough, all the red fire ants are crawling off your bodies and over to the O's. Thousands of tiny mouths crunch and munch through the pile of cereal.

Then you have an even better idea. You're going to slam your foot down on the whole hungry colony, squashing them once and for all. You raise one foot above the obvious leaders of the group. But before you stomp them out, you stop. Something strange is going on.

The ants are turning their tiny faces up to you. They are making strange motions with their little arms!

quote:

Before you can bring your foot down on the ants, Lauren pulls you back. "I think they're talking to us," she says. "In sign language! My best friend is deaf. She taught me how to sign."

"Talking ants?" Todd exclaims. "Now I've heard everything!"

"And I haven't heard anything - at least not from these ants," you say. You don't believe Lauren. Your legs are burning from their bites and stings. You start to bring your foot down on the ants again.

Lauren watches the ants carefully. "They say they're sorry they attacked us." She interprets their motions for you and Todd. "They say they were just scared."

"What else are they saying?" Todd asks.

"They say thank you for the magic O's," Lauren continues. "It was the magic O's that made them smart enough to communicate with us. They warn us to hold onto the magic O's. And use them only for emergencies."

Lauren watches some more, and a look of amazement comes over her face.

"What is it, Lauren?" you ask, one foot still in the air.

quote:

Lauren has a very serious look on her face. She watches the motions of the red fire ants as they speak to her in sign language. "They say beware of the werewolves of WoodsWorld," she says. "They say we are not safe until we have the red tin box back in our hands."

"Do they know where it is?" Todd asks.

"They say they know, but they can't tell us. There's another power in the woods that we haven't seen yet," Lauren continues. "They say we must keep searching for the box - we only have until dawn to find it."

"That's right!" you exclaim. You take the folded note out of your pocket and read the poem again:

quote:

"The Werewolves of WoodsWorld
Disappear at dawn.
So you must find the box
Before this night is gone."

"There's no time to waste," you say to the others. "Lauren, tell the ants we're sorry we smashed into their tree. We won't hurt them if they don't hurt us. Our troubles are just beginning, but tell the ants their troubles with us have come to an

THE END

...I've read this book something like 3-4 times, and that ending still defies description.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Smart O's

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
Wasted our super-smarts on catching a dog.

Achievements
:siren:Gainax Ending: Received a grave warning from intelligent fire ants who can communicate in ASL because they ate magic cereal.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Enter the cave.
  • Howl at the werewolves.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Break free of the troll's spell.
  • Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.
  • Eat from the left pocket.
  • Face the werewolf.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

:allears:

Turn back and face the werewolf

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Random number generator 1 - 10..... 8! Eat from the left pocket.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Why is that even an ending?

Face the werewolf

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Face the werewolf, I guess.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory werewolves?

Left pocket, because I want to see the thrilling conclusion to the troll mind control storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
The left pocket is the BEFT pocket!