Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Vor's always the toughest pride to me, because of the nasty spike damage. Mostly the other three are jokes if you're powerful enough to handle Vor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The lobby ambushes in the other caster pride have often been nasty for me for similar reasons, but yeah, Vor's probably the most dangerous of the bunch. Guess it's kind of like a gear check? 'If you're dying here the endgame will not be kind to you,' sort of thing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Gorbat can be kind of nasty as well, but it's a different kind of gear check. Vor checks your defenses, Gorbat checks your offense. Rak'shor... uuhhhhh... I guess it gives you some more vaults so you can gear up if Gorbat or Vor point out some deficiencies?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Oh gee thanks for the tip about the Backup Guardians and the Wyrm Bile.

:(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah I used See the Threads for that...

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

FillInTheBlank posted:

Oh gee thanks for the tip about the Backup Guardians and the Wyrm Bile.

:(

Yikes! That's a roll that's biased high, but it's like -3 to +6 so you can still get screwed over if unlucky.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Completing the Charred Scar (successfully or not) triggers the final wave of restocking across all shops, so we might as well take a look at that.

The merchant got his hands on a couple of neat artifacts. Shantiz is possibly the most absurd dagger in the game. While it’s not so great for hitting things with, +20 Dex, 40% projectile slow and that ridiculous on-hit effect means that it remains a solid offhand choice for any dual-weapon wielder through the entire game.

Turbocutter is a saw that makes you go faster. For a t3 artifact, that’s the best that can be expected, I suppose.

The infusion store in Last Hope picked up this Primal Infusion. Many people actually consider it a trap – it’s better to just have a purely physical wild, or a mental/physical one, and damage reduction is more useful than affinity.

No other items in Maj’eyal stores worth noting, but we might as well pick up some lore bits while we’re here.

We pick up some more chapters of Greynot’s work from Last Hope’s library.

This is why Maj’eyal and Var’eyal have stayed separate for so long – the oceans are nearly impossible to navigate.

The story of the Pale Drake, which we wrote an ending for a few updates ago.

The diary of King Toknor the Brave, the first king of the Age of Ascendancy.

And the Spellblaze Chronicles. With how long they are, screenshotting them is simply out of the question, but the full text can be read here if you have a while to spare.

Nothing of note equipment-wise in the Sunwall, but we pick up some new runes. Now for our next location.

Rakshor Pride is located out on the beach, to the southwest of Eruan.

We skip past the usual welcome party at the entrance. As you can see, necromancers are the order of the day here. Necromancers, and corruptors.

Also, Rakshor Pride has a fancy bone theme going on. A nice change of pace from boring old stone walls.

One thing I’m worried about is that we aren’t really striking a good balance between offense and defense. Our defenses are okay, but don’t last long enough for the long battles that our tactics require. I have some ideas on how to improve our build, but want to clear Rakshor first before we work on it.

Rakshor Pride has a lot of unique undead creatures that don’t show up much in other areas, such as this necrotic mass. They’re undead blobs and…that’s about it, really.

Here’s a more interesting one. The Void Spectre is a powerful randboss that only shows up in Rakshor Pride. Here he is accompanied by an orc necromancer and a runed bone giant, a bone giant one tier above the eternal variant. The Void Spectre himself is an arcane elemental, with a focus on arcane archmage skills and maxed-out arcane resistance.

We drop a See the Threads on him. In the first timeline, he drops this set of randart arrows, which would be a pretty solid find on a bow-user.

In the second, he drops the Black Spike, the longsword of The Black set. Useful for a demonologist, or a shadowblade.

In the third, he drops the X-ray Goggles. When activated, they grant you vision of the entire map. We hang on to those, in case they come in handy.

The first floor of Rakshor Pride features the same switch-and-door setup that Vor Pride had, with a necromancer guard in place of the pyro/cryomancer one.

The necromancers might be more common, but it’s the corruptors we really have to fear here. The zone aura grants everyone in it bonus critchance and critmult, but reduced nature/blight resistance. Corruptors benefit from both those traits.

And of course, the exit guardians are all corruptors. Lovely.

One of them dropped this robe. It’s a solid robe for a mindpower user, especially a solipsist. Less so on a spellcaster.

Oh boy, horror vault. This vault opens up with a few orc guardians, but after that it’s all horrors all the way.

Bleh. An oozing horror with two saw horror bodyguards. Not exactly rolling out the red carpet here.

A nightmare horror decided to skip the whole ‘ambush’ thing and just walked through the walls to flank us from behind.

A whole bunch of horrors teleported out of the vault upon being alerted, and now we have to chase them down.

Not looking forward to rounding this corner.

Headless Horrors are a new one. They always come accompanied with three Eldritch Eyes, which fire beams of arcane damage. The Headless Horror itself likes to Mana Clash and grapple enemies, and comes with 90% all resistance. However, every Eldritch Eye killed reduces its all resistance by 30%.

First, we have to get that saw horror out of the way, though. That’s where the Void Orb we got last update comes in handy – blade/saw horrors are extremely weak to arcane damage. The Void Orb gives us a chance to proc Arcane Vortex every time we cast a spell, and can be activated to cast Manathrust.

After that, all that remains is to mop up these guys and collect our loot. They’re not too tough by comparison, though the Radiant Horror is a bit of a slog to take down.

Storm Fury is an odd bow. A lightning archmage would probably still be better off with a proper staff, a bow-user would probably be better off with a physical damage bow unless they have arrows which do pure lightning damage. Nonetheless, it’s still a really good bow, and doesn’t require a lot of work to build around it.

Glory of the Pride is a ring that grants all-round physical combat bonuses at the cost of maximum mana. It’s not a significant penalty – 40 mana isn’t a very large amount of mana by the endgame, though there’s not many mana-using classes with a reason to wield this.

The next vault on this floor is the undead vault. It mimics the Mausoleum setup – a long corridor with small rooms off to the side, and a small host of undead in each room. However, the undead aren’t prevented from opening their doors, and will happily do so to chase you down once alerted.

Let’s take a closer look at one of these. In addition to the usual bone giant skills, Runed Bone Giants also come with Arcane/Inner Power, and a few basic archmage spells.

Sanguine Horrors are blood-themed horrors. In addition to knowing the Corruption/Blood tree, they also come with Bloodspring, and any damage they take causes them to spawn an Animated Blood companion.

Appropriately enough, we get a blood-themed item from it. Cuirass of the Dark Lord works well when paired with other bleeding-themed items, especially on a sawbutcher.

This room had Necrotic Abominations in it. They aren’t much of a threat in themselves, but they will explode out into a mass of random skeletal minions when defeated. This still doesn’t make them much of a threat, but it does make them annoying to kill.

Ooh. The Rotting Titan is a special undead that only shows up in Rakshor, similar to the Void Spectre. The Titan is functionally a gargantuan ghoul berserker, with a few stone spells just to increase his bulk and damage. His associated weapon is very fun (even if we can’t use it right now), so let’s hope he drops it.

As the Titan falls, another special undead enters the fray. The Heavy Sentinel is a unique bone giant, with fire hands and other associated fire spells. We’re wearing the Crown of Burning Pain right now, so he doesn’t pose much of a threat.

The Sentinel dropped his associated artifact, the Molten Skin. It provides fire and light associated bonuses, and is a welcome addition to any class that relies on those elements. However, it is light armor, which has to be taken into account.

The Titan also dropped his associated artifact, the Blighted Maul. The Maul is the slowest and heaviest 2h weapon in the game (83% combat speed and 12 encumbrance), but, well, look at those stats and on-hit effects. Ridiculously fun when combined with a multi-hit move like the mindslayer’s Frenzied Focus or Windblade.

We find the Eastwood Hat again, which we last saw in an alternate universe.

Mnemonic is one of the best rings a mindpower user can find, for reasons that should be patently obvious. The ‘mental talent’ in the description refers to any talent that scales with mindpower.

Some fancy arrows to go with our fancy bow. The Quiver of Domination does pure mind damage and has a chance to apply the Domination Hex to the target, turning it friendly for a few turns. The Quiver of the Sun does pure light damage with a chance to blind, boosts arrow speed by a large amount and turns arrows into beam attacks. The Titan’s Quiver is just a very strong set of arrows with a chance to pin opponents hit.

And of course, a mountain of slightly less notable loot. We stop by our fortress to drop off some of the better items, then continue onwards.

Right, now all we have to do is to stroll through the empty first floor, and then-

Yeah, the game reloaded Rakshor Pride when we exited and re-entered for some reason, and now we have to clear out the first floor again. I swear it’s not normally this buggy.

Oh well, more floor means more vaults means more loot. This vault is similar to the undead vault earlier, but the rooms are scattered about more, and there are two big rooms in the middle.

Couple of fun things in this one. Dethzaw is a distant cousin of Dethblyd. A fun saw, but keep in mind it does pure fire damage, rather than physical bleed as most saws do.

The Skeletal Claw is one of the few artifact whips in the game (and by extension, one of the few whips in the game). It comes in a set with the Skeletal Parry, a t2 artifact shield.

This vault is filled with demons and lava. Fun times.

Oh, and dragons too.

The Egg Sac of Ungole is an interesting item. It can be activated to summon two friendly spiders, which scale with your level, and can be activated while in your inventory without being actively equipped. However, holding it reduces your light radius by 2, which can be a bit of a harsh penalty if you find it early, but don’t want to give it up because it comes in handy. As with all summons, their effectiveness tends to vary, but every turn spent targeting them is one spent not targeting you.

Continuing the spider theme, we find a new EoR artifact. Worth using if you’re good on Nature damage boosters, but remember to account for poison and nature-resistant enemies.

This time we’ll just move on, we don’t want to have to clear this floor a third time and don’t have quite as much loot weighing us down.

Fortunately, from the second floor onwards, Rakshor drops the whole switch-and-door arrangement and just becomes a regular dungeon floor.

Featuring the return of our old friend, the rare snake.

Another lava floor vault, but in a spiral instead of straightforward. One thing nice about these lava floor vaults is that we can just open them, then sit and wait a couple hundred turns, and anything inside that isn’t completely fire-immune will be dead from lava. We’ll miss out on EXP but honestly, we’re good on that.

Along the way, we pick up a randart antimagic sword and this cuirass. It’s decent, but that penalty to healmod makes it unusable.

The Breath of Eyal comes with a set of absurd resistances, but it’s antimagic. If an antimagic character wears it, they gain even more elemental resistances and a bonus to all resistance. My antimagic psyshot managed to max out just about every elemental resistance with this.

A 2h saw that grants a bonus to movement speed and damage. As far as 2h saws go there’s better ones (note that regular saws are 1-handed, and you can wield them offhand, so a 2h saw has to be exceptional to be considered for use).

Actually, it might be nice if we could leverage it, given our movement speed bonuses. On the other hand, we’re an undead time-stopping wizard, we don’t need to run around throwing a ram roller at people.

On Rakshor 3, we run into a shadowblade skeleton assassin. It’s nice to see someone whose passions match their talent.

Not long after that, we run into the eponymous Rakshor. He’s an orc necromancer with additional corruption spells, and he can summon the unique undead that populate the pride, such as the necrotic abomination, in an action entirely separate from his usual necromancer summoning.

It’s kind of an annoying battle because his minions keep getting in the way, but eventually we get him on the ropes and toss up See the Threads. Let’s see what loot he offers in each different timeline, first.

In timeline 1 he drops the Unbreakable Greaves, a very heavy pair of boots which grants massive Strength and Con bonuses, armor and status resistances. Could be worth considering.

In timeline 2 he drops the Threads of Fate, a cloak that grants all-round chronomancy bonuses and can be activated for See the Threads (with the same limitations as the usual spell). Certainly would be a nice boost to us, but let’s see what’s up next.

In timeline 3 he drops the Champion’s Will. It’s a very fancy 2h sword that grants various Sun Paladin bonuses – reduced cooldowns, bonus light damage, increased mastery, the works. It’s almost the best weapon for a 2h Sun Paladin build.

What could be better than Champion’s Will, you ask?

Rakshor dropped this in every timeline, which means he must have spawned with it equipped. Sawrd is, bar none, the most powerful weapon in the game, and probably the most absurd EoR artifact. Multiple Attacks +3 means exactly what you think it means – every attack that incorporates Sawrd into it somehow, from a simple bump attack to an ogre rogue’s Flurry, is repeated three more times.

He also dropped this note, and the Orb of Undeath, which grants us a Dex bonus when carried.

Cleaning out the rest of Rakshor. Not much else of note, but then again it’s all downhill after Sawrd.

After recalling out, I pop back in again just to check – looks like the first floor didn’t re-initialize this time. Not that I’d have bothered clearing it a third time, nonetheless.

That’s about it for this one. Two more prides to go.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Artificer posted:

Yeah I used See the Threads for that...

Somewhere, a time wizard is nodding in approval. This is exactly the kind of temporal chicanery one expects out of a metaclass labeled 'Chronomancer'.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know, I swear ToME has some sort of vague awareness. After mentioning Rak'shor as the most pushover boss/pride, this latest run, I have a challenge from him for the first time ever, as his summons decided to include Zephyr.

It's also odd that Rak'shor has so many potential unique spawns(Zephyr, Rotting Titan, the Sentinel, Glacial Legion, the Void Spectre and probably a couple that I'm forgetting) , when, as far as I know, Vor has zero, Gorbat has a couple(or at least I think they're restricted to Gorbat), and the fourth pride(which I always forget the name of), has zero that I can recall.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Being the greatest necromancer on the continent gives you a lot of time to work on your personal projects.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I've been playing this a bit thanks to this LP, and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing gearing wise, at least for armor. I was doing fine in every area for the most part, but then I reached the Lake of Nur where a rare horror killed me, then deciding that I might be better off doing the storm in Derth dungeon I got killed three times by the boss of it after not having trouble with the regular enemies. At least I unlocked Archmage and its Storm specialization even if I'll game over on my next death?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Eopia posted:

So I've been playing this a bit thanks to this LP, and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing gearing wise, at least for armor. I was doing fine in every area for the most part, but then I reached the Lake of Nur where a rare horror killed me, then deciding that I might be better off doing the storm in Derth dungeon I got killed three times by the boss of it after not having trouble with the regular enemies. At least I unlocked Archmage and its Storm specialization even if I'll game over on my next death?

+HP in the early game, with armor and armor hardness for sides. Resistances are excellent too especially lightning resistance for that section if you can find it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Inadequately posted:

On the other hand, we’re an undead time-stopping wizard, we don’t need to run around throwing a ram roller at people.

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Ahem. That aside Sawrd just seems extreme. All the steam tech weapons seem pretty extreme.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I found Sawrd and I don't see what's so special about it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that the Multiple Attacks ability procs whenever you make an attack with the weapon, and repeats whatever action the attack was part of three times. This could be a simple bump attack, or it could be a weapon skill and the entire skill gets repeated three times. It's effectively quadrupling the actions you can take in combat. Action economy is king, and things that allow you to get more bang for your buck, whether by actually allowing more actions or by repeating your actions, are extremely valuable and powerful.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Every attack hits four times, not once. So Flash of the Blade, a Sun Paladin ability that hits every enemy in like a two tile radius, hits them all four times instead. Windblade, which has a similar range but does like 350% weapon damage? Same thing, but 4x350% hits to all enemies in a three tile radius.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Four swings for every swing is pretty insane. Especially if you use it with melee talents, which ALSO get multiplied by four (judging by what the LP has said, anyway).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Inadequate, do you mind updating the table of contents?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Velius posted:

Every attack hits four times, not once. So Flash of the Blade, a Sun Paladin ability that hits every enemy in like a two tile radius, hits them all four times instead. Windblade, which has a similar range but does like 350% weapon damage? Same thing, but 4x350% hits to all enemies in a three tile radius.

The very next line also says:

Multiple attacks procs power reduction: -67%. Meaning that the three repeated actions occur at 1/3rd power.

Of course, this begs the question of if that power reduction affects any procs from the repeated actions.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Tallgeese posted:

The very next line also says:

Multiple attacks procs power reduction: -67%. Meaning that the three repeated actions occur at 1/3rd power.

Of course, this begs the question of if that power reduction affects any procs from the repeated actions.

I was assuming that meant procs as in the various +damage on hit abilities, not actual multiple attacks from abilities. I've never actually used Sawrd so I don't know which it is. Which reminds me that I'm not sure about the similar description of Ogre off-hand reductions either.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The other question would be how something with +350% damage and -67% damage would interact. One would assume it would be two thirds of the 350% removed, but given how weird some of the systems work it could very well end up as a 283% bonus instead which would not be much of a penalty.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It also depends on whether the "power" reduction is pure damage reduction, or also a reduction to the phys/mind/spellpower used to apply conditions. Otherwise it could be great for giving you four shots at hitting an enemy with a stun, blind or similar crippling condition.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
code:
power_source = {steam=true}, --This may or may not just be a chainsaw.
	name = "Sawrd", unique=true, image = "object/artifact/sawrd.png",
	unided_name = "sawblade lined sword", color=colors.GREY,
	desc = [[A brutal weapon of countless blades.]],
	require = { stat = { str=35 }, },
	level_range = {40, 50},
	rarity = 240,
	cost = 280,
	material_level = 5,
	combat = {
		dam = 30,
		apr = 19,
		physcrit = 10,
		dammod = {str=1.2},
		attack_recurse = 3,
		attack_recurse_procs_reduce = 3,
		damtype=DamageType.PHYSICALBLEED,
	},
	wielder = {
		inc_stats = { [Stats.STAT_STR] = 7, [Stats.STAT_DEX] = 7, [Stats.STAT_CUN] = 7 },
		talents_types_mastery = {
			["technique/2hweapon-assault"] = 0.2,
If I'm reading the combat code right (which I might not be), then that means all of the extra hits just have their procs' damage divided by 3. I believe that gets factored in before damage bonuses, but take that with a massive grain of salt.

also lol

code:
	-- oh for the love of god why didn't I rewrite this entire structure
	grappledParam["src"] = self

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Even if the power reduction is applied to all the damage, Sawrd still at least doubles your damage input (I'm pretty sure flat on hit bonuses are untouched by the damage formula) and quadruples your chance of on-hit procs, no questions asked. That's disgustingly powerful any way you look at it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I missed it earlier, but isn't the guy who makes the portal back to Maj'Eyal in the Gates of Morning the leader from the Temporal Wardens/Paradox Mage starter zone? Does he get any special dialogue if you actually went through it instead of getting a different starting zone like Skeletor here did?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Eopia posted:

I missed it earlier, but isn't the guy who makes the portal back to Maj'Eyal in the Gates of Morning the leader from the Temporal Wardens/Paradox Mage starter zone? Does he get any special dialogue if you actually went through it instead of getting a different starting zone like Skeletor here did?

He asks you if this is the first time you've met him, and when you say yes, he warns you to not tell his past self about him.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The table of contents has now been updated. Or at least, should hopefully be by the time you finish reading this.

Our next destination is Gorbat Pride, located just to the right of Rakshor and nestled in a mountain valley.

Gorbat Pride is the Wilder pride. Summoners, Wyrmics and Mage-Hunters are the most common orcs here, and dragons roam the area freely. The zone-wide aura grants increased mindpower and boosts equilibrium and health regeneration, but reduces resistance penetration.

Not helping our situation is the fact that the entrance is being guarded by a sawbutcher mage-hunter. Technically we already got past him, but we still have to kill him sooner or later.

Gorbat Pride follows the same boring switch-and door formula that Vor Pride follows. This is why the latter half of the game is generally considered a giant slog – at least half of it consists of playing through the exact same floor over and over again with minor variations.

At least we have another fearscape portal to liven things up.

The demon in charge of this fearscape zone is a wretchling. A wretchling is bossing about forge-giants and champions of Urh’rok. Say what you will about demons, at least they’re a meritocracy.

Upon returning to Gorbat Pride, we opened this chest and all these dragons popped out. I am simultaneously impressed and disturbed.

Another orc vault – though this one’s mostly filled with dragons. Speaking of which, we still have a few of those we need to get to clearing out of Vor Armory.

The Scepter of the Archlich is half of a top-tier necromancer set. The bonuses are still useful enough for a necromancer to wield it even without its matching pair, though. The staff grants additional bonuses to undead (such as ourselves), but we can’t tune it to any element other than darkness.

Tarrasca is a pretty fun suit of armor. The resistance granted by it is ‘absolute’ resistance, which is a separate thing entirely from ‘all’ resistance – thus, you can stack both of them together alongside element-specific resistances. Especially helpful if you have other methods of slowing your movement speed besides Tarrasca’s inbuilt one. Even if you aren’t planning to take advantage of its activable feature, it still grants 50 armor, 15% armor hardiness and 15 con, which is a solid amount of bulk.

Ugh, a horror vault. I don’t really want to do this with -20% resist penetration.

One advantage I have: few top-tier horrors have any significant innate temporal resistance, so we can take it slow and steady.

Worms that Walk are the theme of the day, apparently. At least it’s not nightmare horrors. They’re not a problem if we don’t let them get too close, but when they do it’s time to run away.

After clearing them out, we take a look at our new loot.

A very silly but very fun weapon. Rocket Smash is a distance-closing attack that does AOE weapon damage around the target.

A solid 1h artifact weapon. Free Rampages for non-Cursed, and the chance to instakill low-HP enemies. Plus, it makes a decent statstick.

A demonstration of the power creep between games. In regular TOME, a top-tier artifact 2h weapon had a 25% chance of maybe swinging another time. Compare and contrast with Sawrd.

As far as t5 artifact shots go, they don’t do all that much raw damage or have the best procs, but damned if they aren’t fun to use.

Another one of those that we’ve seen in an alternate universe a couple of times.

Continuing the ice theme, here’s an ice cloak. It’s alright if you’re really focusing on ice damage (or shoring up your lack thereof), but that fire weakness hurts. By the way, the Glacial Legion is yet another custom undead that can turn up in Rakshor (but didn’t this run).

And continuing it further, here’s some icy bullets. As with Thundercrack, they aren’t too hard hitting, but they do pure cold damage, which can be helpful when paired up with e.g. the above items.

Speaking of which, Icy Orc Wyrmics appear to be the theme of the next floor. They’re pretty similar to orc cryomancers, in that they’re very annoying and I hate them both.

These mage hunters take forever to kill. Mage Hunters are the only enemy type to come with an innate Antimagic Shield, which absorbs a flat amount of non-physical/mind damage but raises equilibrium whenever it does so. With the high amount of innate equilibrium regeneration enemies get, actually breaking the shield is practically impossible, so every battle with them is a long slog.

A nice change of pace from horrors and orcs. This vault is filled with skeletons surrounding a large room, and a small ghoul party in the center.

All these overlapping blight pools make these ghouls very hard to kill, but they also do the same for us, so I’m not complaining. It would be a very different story if we weren’t undead, though.

We clear them out and collect our loot. The Boots of the Hunter grant us all-round physical bonuses and saves, and can be activated for an effect similar to a movement infusion. Could be useful.

Aetherwalk grants us bonus arcane resistance and magic, and can be activated for a short-range teleport. More teleports could be useful too, with our voidstalker bonuses.

We’re finally getting some good chronomancy gear. Exiler grants us various chronomancy bonuses and can be activated for an AOE time-skip effect. Choosing what rings we want for the endgame is going to be a difficult decision, since we have so many good ones.

Exiler in action on Gorbat 3. Fun times, but it’s not that much more useful than regular old Time Skip. The free Rethread proc is the real bonus we’re getting from it.

Not long afterwards, we run into Gorbat himself. He’s a high level wyrmic/summoner orc, who comes with Blighted Summoning, Spine of the World, Massive Blow and Spell Feedback. That last one is really going to be a pain, but I suppose I should count my blessings that he doesn’t have any other antimagic skills, such as AM shield.

While clearing out some chaff summoners who got in the way, we hit level 50! I haven’t really been mentioning our level in a while, but we’ve been powering up quite a bit offscreen. We still have quite a lot of points to go through (we haven’t even chosen a second prodigy yet), because I want to finish all the prides before I finalize our endgame build with the equipment we have. It’s a little arrogant, but if we can clear one pride while at less than full capability, we can probably take on the rest.

Attenuate removed Gorbat from reality offscreen1, just as I was wondering exactly what it would take to bring him down. Whoops. Oh well, hope we got something useful out of it.

Well, we don’t really need it, but the Plate of the Blackened Mind is okay. Although Cursed are the most obvious beneficiaries of this armor, everyone appreciates gloom effects and confusion resistance. Note that the activable ‘Dominate’ effect refers to the Cursed skill (essentially a ranged mental pinning effect), not the Domination Hex effect that turns a foe friendly for a few turns.

We also picked up this note, and the Orb of Command to go with it, which grants us a bonus +6 Cunning while in our inventory.

Clearing out the rest of Gorbat Pride, we find yet another host of dragons lying in a chest. How did you guys even fit in there?

Gorbat Pride also features the same pointless exit guardians that Vor Pride 3 does.

Finally, we hit up the last vault in Gorbat Pride before we recall away. In a nice change of pace, it’s an underwater vault.

The water vault features two branching paths, each with one small platform full of various enemies, followed by another small platform where the actual loot is kept (along with more enemies). The enemies here can be surprisingly tough, and if you didn’t bring water-breathing you might find yourself over your head if you get careless.

Some fun loot in here. The Jetpack grants you Rocket Dash, a distance-closing attack similar to Rush. Worth wearing if you’re short of those.

A 2h sword with fire damage conversion and additional fire bonuses. Good on a doombringer, and being able to accelerate burning effects can be surprisingly powerful if you know how to leverage that.

Nothing else of note here. We recall out and move on.

Before we finish up with the last pride, let’s say hello to some old friends.

We can even deal with two at a time right now…for very brief periods of time. Landing Attenuates on them is still difficult, but we have enough offensive options to just blast them away with straightforward damage now.

Huzzah! Now to collect the unguarded loot.

An odd saw, but you could make it work with enough nature-boosting items. It’s only a t3 artifact so it’d soon be outclassed, though.

The Trident of the Tides, which we’ve seen in an alternate universe.

There are only a couple of artifacts that fully convert all your damage to different elements. The Pendant of the Sun and Moons is one of them, splitting your damage in half and converting each half to light or darkness damage. It’s a little clunky, but it can be made to work.

The Steam-powered items give pretty good generic bonuses, but aren’t especially notable aside from that. The last of the steam-powered items required to complete the set is the Steam-Powered Armor, which we won’t be seeing. The Armor is an artifact schematic that can only drop in the EoR campaign and requires a heavy amount of tinker investment to craft, though it can be vaulted once crafted.

Our final destination for this update is Grushnak Pride, located at the top of the continent.

Grushnak Pride shakes up the usual formula a bit. There’s no way to skip past the usual welcoming party – every floor starts you off in a small barracks with little room to maneuver, and a cadre of elite orc warriors blocking your way. If you aren’t prepared, it can be a very difficult battle.

Once they’ve been cleared out, you can flip the switches at the top and bottom, opening the door to the next level.

In between the barrack floors are large mushroom-covered regular dungeon floors, with orc warriors patrolling the paths.

And as we clear the final pride, we finally get a bit of backstory on the legendary Garkul.

Another water vault. I wonder what we’ll find? Besides more nagas, of course.

Not much equipment-wise, but the Windborne Azurite is a very nice artifact gem. It’ll have to be imbued to gain any of its benefits, though.

Clearing out the next set of barracks. Getting this close is probably a bad idea given how little armor I have, but I’m going to do it anyway. Hubris will be the death of me.

One of the warriors dropped the Gaping Maw, the custom antimagic axe of Krogar the Gluttonous.

Also, another chapter detailing Garkul’s rise.

While clearing out the orcs on the next floor, we find this shield lying around. It grants fire, light and mind bonuses, and works well with a Sun Paladin.

We ran into a summon trap vault and accidentally set off some of them. The summon vault doesn’t really count as a proper vault and thus gives you no warning when you enter it, but if you’re paying attention the layout is a dead giveaway.

Ureslak’s Femur was lying around inside it. Ureslak the Prismatic is a boss who turns up sometimes – he’s an extra-strong multi-hued wyrm, though not to the extent of those in Vor Armory. I’ve never tried the full Ureslak set, so I have no idea how good it is.

Yet more of Garkul’s story. Now you know why it was called the Age of Pyre.

Some more items. Razorblade is notable for being the only non-saw weapon to do physical bleed damage (which deals additional damage as bleeding over the next few turns), but there’s nothing much else interesting than that.

The Black Plate is the lynchpin of the Black set. Even if you’re not rolling with that, it’s a solid suit of armor in its own right – decent armor and resistances, and can be activated to cast Link of Pain – an effect similar to Rethread’s Braid, which causes the target to share damage taken with another target.

By the way, if it feels like the last few zones have largely been a loot showcase with enemies glossed over in seconds, let me assure you that it feels that way playing through them too.

This room has a demonologist and sun paladin guarding it. As a result they last a little longer, but not that much longer.

The second last chapter of Garkul’s story, and the beginning of Garkul’s legacy.

Upon entering the final floor of the Pride, we’re almost immediately ambushed by Grushnak, the Battlemaster of the Pride.

The last and final orc miniboss we’ll be facing, Grushnak is a powerful orc bulwark with a couple of berserker skills to round himself out (the ones that don’t require a 2h weapon, anyway). He also comes with Unbreakable Will, Giant Leap and Eternal Guard. Most notably, he comes with Unstoppable, which he uses as a last-ditch measure to avoid being killed.

Clearing out the chaff so we have space to maneuver takes a while, but after that the outcome was never really in doubt. We can speed boost ourselves, teleport around and just generally run circles around Grushnak, while he struggles to just land a hit. We don’t have much armor, though, so those hits can really hurt.

One last See the Threads for good measure. In timeline one he drops Death’s Embrace, a set of light armor which grants cold and darkness bonuses. Good for a necromancer.

In timeline two he drops Dakhtun’s Gauntlets, a set of gloves which almost everyone finds useful because +50% critmult holy poo poo. It’s a near-unparalleled boost in power (as you’ll find on a glove slot item, anyway) if you can crit often, but high-dex foes can shrug off crits often enough that it’s not entirely reliable.

And in timeline three he drops Shieldsmaiden, a shield which grants bonus fire/cold resistance and blocks one damage instance every ten turns. It’s okay, but not spectacular.

Not much competition there – Dakhtun’s it is.

He also drops this note and the Orb of Destruction, which grants us +6 strength when held. It’s the last of the orbs we need to progress to the next area.

Clearing out the remainder of the floor. There was a rare enemy here, the Queen Ant. It took me longer to register her presence than it did to kill her.

And the last and final chapter of Garkul’s story. Reading all five chapters is half of the requirement for the Garkul’s Legacy prodigy. We haven’t found the items required to fulfill the other half, though – not that we’d want said prodigy anyway.

A lightning vault, how nostalgic. Takes me back to the halcyon days of Tempest Peak. Nothing of note in it, though.

The entrance to the next and final location of the game is located right here, at the bottom of Grushnak Pride. Before we continue onwards, however, we’ll have to take a step back, review our build once more, and prepare ourselves for the final battle.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh man, doing High Peak without the Burning Star? RIP your sanity.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I found that Tarrasca armour on my Bulwark - Normal - Adventurer I was talking about earlier in this thread. Ended up beating the game with him and never replacing that armour.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

I found that Tarrasca armour on my Bulwark - Normal - Adventurer I was talking about earlier in this thread. Ended up beating the game with him and never replacing that armour.

Gotta go slow!

(alternatively: "Cheibriados thinks this is hilarious!")

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

To show off this next bit, we’re headed to an alternate universe once more. First off, we vault our Windborne Azurite and white voratun amulet.

After picking them up, it’s off to the Valley of the Moon. This zone only shows up when the associated artifact (a random late-game drop that didn’t show up for Skeletor) is found and taken to Limnir the Jeweler in the Sunwall.

The first couple of floors are the usual sprawling dungeon floors, filled with various demons and horrors (not pictured on account of already being dead).

The last floor opens up to a wide grassy area, with some Fearscape portals near the entrance that can’t be closed.

Limnir himself can be summoned once you reach the monoliths in the center of the map. Once he appears, demons will begin spewing out of the Fearscape portals at the entrance. If you successfully hold off the demons for two hundred turns, Limnir completes his cleansing ritual, sealing the Fearscape portals and unlocking a new ability.

Upon completion of the quest, Limnir will offer amulet infusion services as well as ring infusion services. Amulets can take up to two gems of their tier, but two different gems and an egoless amulet are required.

We stick the Windborne Azurite on the voratun amulet, along with a fire opal (10% all damage, 5% to all crit chances). It’s a good start to our final build.

So here’s my train of thought – We have a decent amount of lightning-boosting gear, can cast spells very quickly, and have a decent chance of proccing Lightning thanks to our Mana Coils – especially when stacking two of them via dual-wielding the Telos Staves, with the top one tuned to lightning.

And to boost that lightning damage a little more, we switch out the Black Robe for The Calm. Of course, we still have to deal with the fact that most of our core spells are temporal.

That’s where that second prodigy we’ve been saving up comes in. For the ten turns Temporal Form is active, our lightning damage bonus becomes an even bigger temporal damage bonus. Regardless of the method we choose to damage our foes, we come out on top either way. Of course, Temporal Form comes with other helpful bonuses other than a raw damage boost.

A list of the anomalies we can cast with Temporal Form. Flawed Design reduces the all resistance of affected targets, while Gravity Pull pulls them in. Rearrange teleports the targets in random directions up to ten tiles away, and Wormhole functions similarly to our Wormhole spell. Finally, Temporal Storm creates a large area of temporal damage – not very much, but every temporal damage instance helps.

None of the anomalies have any cost, and while Rearrange and Temporal Form have a four-turn cooldown, the rest do not. This means it’s possible to cast Wormhole non-stop and fill the land with portals, Gravity Pull enemies around forever to knock them out of the way, or toss Flawed Designs over and over until it sticks (although it doesn’t stack, so landing it more than once does nothing).

To round out the weaker spots in our equipment, we head over to the merchant and cross our fingers.

A decent pair of boots, and a free phase door always helps. More Mag and Will is nice too. Most of our other high-tier artifact boots give physical combat bonuses, which we don’t really need. We attach the Kinetic Stabilizer to it, which grants us bonus knockback resistance and teleport immunity.

A solid improvement over the Summertide Phial. More lightning and physical damage, larger light radius, massive health regen…all-round better in just about every aspect.

Now, for the rest of our equipment:

We never found the counterpart to Un’fezan’s Cap to complete the set, so we ditched it for this rare helm. More temporal damage/respen and additional voidstalker bonuses. The Air Recycler attached to it grants us additional silence resistance.

We’re still sticking with Threads of Fate for talent masteries, saves, confusion resistance and bonus temporal damage. The Grounding Strap attached to it grants us bonus lightning resistance and stun/freeze resist.

This rare belt grants us spellpower on spellcrit, bonus encumbrance and more voidstalker bonuses. The rest of its bonuses we don’t really need, but we don’t have any better belts (plus, there’s only so much you can reasonably expect from a belt anyhow). The Fungal Web attached to it heals us whenever we use a salve of any kind, and can crit for bonus healing.

We have several good choices for gloves – the Will of Ul’Gruth, Dakhtun’s Gauntlets and Storm Bringer’s Gauntlets are our top ones. The Will grants us a 15% bonus to all damage and 10% all respen, Dakhtun’s grants us 50% bonus critmult, and Storm Bringer grants us 10% bonus lightning damage and 20% bonus critmult. We’re going with The Will for the largest all-round damage bonus, but I don’t think there’s really a wrong answer here.

The tinker attached is the Fatal Attractor, which summons a steamtech construct that taunts foes and reflects 30% of their damage back to them. Could be helpful as a last-minute distraction in a pinch. It costs 20 steam to activate, but Hidden Resources means our lack of steam generation isn’t an issue.

We have a lot of good choices ring-wise too, but eventually we go with Exiler and the speed ring. The speed ring grants a lot of all-round bonuses, but our main use for it is activating Blinding Speed. Exiler grants a lot of helpful bonuses too, but we’re keeping it on mostly for the Rethread spellproc.

And to round things off, we’re sticking with this mindblast torque for bonus silence resist and a gargantuan amount of spell/phys save. We don’t have many good tool slot items either.

With that done, we invest all the points we’ve been saving up. Here’s our final build:

Flux: Induce Anomaly 1/Reality Smearing 5/Attenuate 5/Twist Fate 2

Max Reality Smearing for minimal Paradox attrition, max Attenuate for…well, maximum Attenuation. Twist Fate 2 for a 3-turn anomaly hold.

Gravity: Repulsion Blast 1/Gravity Spike 1/Gravity Locus 2/Gravity Well 5

Gravity Locus 2 for 30+% projectile slowing, max Gravity Well for maximum slowdown when Gravity Well is active.

Matter: Dust to Dust 2/Matter Weaving 4/Materialize Barrier 1/Disintegration 1

Matter Weaving 4 for over 50% stun/freeze resist. More Disintegration could be useful, but with the massive number of temporal/physical damage instances we can land in a short period of time, we have a decently high chance of Disintegrate proccing even with just a 17% chance.

Speed Control: Celerity 1/Time Dilation 5/Haste 5/Time Stop 4

Max Time Dilation and Haste for maximum spellcasting speed, Time Stop 4 for a 3-turn time stop. In retrospect maybe Time Dilation didn’t have to be maxed, though.

Timeline Threading: Rethread 1/Temporal Fugue 5/Braid Lifelines 5/Cease to Exist 3

Max Temporal Fugue for maximum clonage, max Braid Lifelines for more damage sharing (46%, to be precise). More investment in Rethread and CtE would have been nice, if I could spare the points.

Timetravel: Temporal Bolt 1/Time Skip 2/Temporal Reprieve 2/Echoes of the Past 5

Max Echoes of the Past because it’s our hardest hitting attack. Time Skip 3 would have been nice if we could afford it, since it would allow us to keep an opponent skipped away indefinitely (or at least until they build up enough Continuum Destabilization to resist it). 2 isn’t too bad though, since we can just spend one turn moving backwards instead.

Combat Training: Heavy Armor Training 1

So we can wear gauntlets, helms and boots. We really should have invested in Thick Skin or Light Armor Training, here’s hoping that decision doesn’t come back to bite us.

Staff Combat: Channel Staff 2/Staff Mastery 2

We picked this tree up from Angolwen, and invested in it just a little to boost our raw Channel Staff damage just a little bit further. In retrospect, we probably shouldn’t have done that. Even with the bonus investment, our Channel Staff is still only good for proccing Rethreads and Lightnings.

Skeleton: Skeleton 1/Bone Armor 5/Resilient Bones 5/Reassemble 1

Max Bone Armor for max bone shield, max Resilient Bones for max debuff resistance. Reassemble wasn’t maxed out because it’s not our primary healing ability, but let’s hope passing up that free life didn’t turn out to be a mistake.

Chronomancy: Precognition 1/Foresight 1/Contingency 2/See the Threads 2

Not much to talk about here. We invested just enough into these skills for them to do their job.

Fate Weaving: Spin Fate 1/Seal Fate 4/Fateweaver 1/Webs of Fate 4

Near-max Seal Fate and Webs of Fate for maximum Seal Fate procs and damage deflection. Maxing them out would have been nice if we could spare the points, but near-max is okay.

Spacetime Weaving: Dimensional Step 5/Dimensional Shift 5

Max Dimensional Step for maximum distance (it is our primary mobility skill, after all) and max Dimensional Shift for maximum debuff reduction. We don’t need Wormhole and don’t teleport often enough to make Phase Pulse worth it.

Steamtech Physics: Smith 2/Mechanical 2/Electricity 2

Steamtech Chemistry: Therapeutics 5

Again, not much to talk about here. We invested just as much as we needed to be able to smith the tinkers we wanted. Therapeutics 5 was required for the Unstoppable Force Salve, so let’s hope that investment pays off.

Now, let’s take a look at the stuff we passed up on this run.

Spacetime Folding is a spell tree based around spatial manipulation rather than temporal. If you invest in it decently well, it works, but doesn’t do much in the way of raw damage – it’s more for keeping opponents away.

Warp Mines are useful for teleporting opponents away, but fall off late-game as enemies gain more mobility options. Spatial Tether can be pretty fun if you can teleport/knock opponents away, but it’s unreliable as a pinning move. Banish is a decent spell for crowd control, and combos well with Dimensional Anchor for a source of decent AOE damage if you invest in both.

Stasis is a high-end spell tree based mostly around Paradox management and defense. It’s a good alternative to Timeline Threading or Flux if you choose to take it.

Spacetime Stability grants bonus Paradox regeneration, but it’s mostly there as a prerequisite. Time Shield is one of the best damage shield abilities in the game – in addition to absorbing damage, it reduces debuff lengths and heals you for the amount of absorbed damage once the shield is broken or runs out. Stop is an AOE stunning move, which is always useful, and Static History prevents you from triggering minor anomalies while active – combined with Flux or Hidden Resources, you can pretty much forget about the whole anomaly issue.

Spellbinding is an odd tree. Each spell is a metamagic spell that combos with another chronomancy spell to modify it in some manner. I’ve never tried it, but you could probably make some very effective combos with it if you did.

Empower boosts the spellpower used when casting the selected spell, Extension increases the duration of the spell cast, Matrix reduces the cooldown of the selected spell, and Quicken reduces the casting time required to cast it. Each Spellbinding skill can only be bound to one spell, and no two skills can be bound to the same spell. Unlike other trees, the Spellbinding spells have no ‘lower talents known’ prerequisite – you don’t have to invest in Empower to invest in Matrix, for instance.

The generic tree we missed out on. Energy spells are a grab-bag of utility/debuffing spells.

Energy Decomposition is a damage-reducing sustain in the same vein as Reality Smearing, but the flat damage cap on reduction makes it not quite as efficient. Energy Decomposition increases the target’s talent cooldowns and reduces ours – useful, but the fixed cooldown limits its use. Redux allows you to effectively doublecast any spell with a cooldown of 4 turns or less, which can be fun if combined with Attenuate or maxed-out Temporal Bolt. Entropy is the one we really miss though – successfully sticking Entropy to a target causes one of their sustains to deactivate every turn for Entropy’s duration.

Anyway, that’s enough preparation. On with the show.

The Slime Tunnel is located at the bottom of Grushnak Pride, which is why I usually save that pride for last. It’s a long, winding tunnel filled with various slimes. These aren’t the slimes of the oozemancer dungeon – they don’t emerge from the walls, and by and large are fairly common, so clearing them out is not much of a hassle.

The more interesting feature: the four pedestals. Each of them corresponds to one of the orbs obtained from the prides, and stepping on them prompts you to use the related orb. When the orb is used, the associated boss pops out.

From the dragon pedestal: Yvuthra the Fearsome, a multi-hued wyrm archmage. He comes with a ton of elemental resistances and health, so fighting him can be a bit of a slog. Temporal damage wears him down pretty quickly though.

From the demon pedestal: Nosrro the Crusher, a souped-up Forge-Giant. Has more health than the dragon, but less resistances. Packing fire resistance when fighting him might be useful.

From the elemental pedestal: Glinor the Silent Death, a gwelgoroth shadowblade. Hits pretty hard and has fairly high defense, but his meagre 4k health means he doesn’t usually last very long if you can hit him.

And from the undead pedestal, Belynor the Neverdead, a powerful lich necromancer. Comes with a metric ton of sustains and resistances, which makes wearing down even his meagre 5k health a bit of a slog – and that’s before you account for his undead summons/shadows getting in the way. Does the usual lich bit of respawning when you kill him the first time, though since he resurrects without sustains his second life tends to be far shorter than his first.

We pick up a few useful artifacts from them. The Robe of the Archmage grants all-rounded magical bonuses and 12% all damage. You can usually do better than that if you gear towards boosting a specific damage type, though.

The Fist of the Destroyer is aimed at vim-based classes, and is a solid damage booster if you keep your vim up. Comes in a set with Masochism, a set of light armor that grants bonus damage reduction based on current vim.

An odd set of gloves. The Spellhunt Remnants are usually found at tier 1, but can be activated to permanently destroy an arcane-powered artifact of a higher tier, upgrading it by one tier. Once it reaches tier 5, it can be activated for a cone-shaped blast of antimagic that attempts to remove all magical sustains/effects on any enemies caught in it.

However, it’s in the hands of a brawler/Flexible Combat user that the Spellhunt Remnants really reach their full potential. The Remnants have a high chance of proccing Destroy Magic, Aura of Silence or Mana Clash with every hit, with the proc chance increasing whenever you upgrade them.

With the four pedestals activated, the barrier on the stairs fades, allowing us entry to the final dungeon, High Peak. Once we enter High Peak, there’s no turning back – it’s clear it or bust.

High Peak is a ten-floor slog of a dungeon. The most common enemies in High Peak are still a various assortment of high-tier orc elites, but other endgame enemies (demons, horrors, undead) are also common. In addition, every floor has a minor zone aura similar to the Prides – usually a small bonus to a specific damage type combined with a debuff to the resistances of said type and associated effects. For instance, this floor has Miasma active, which grants +10% blight damage, -10% blight resist, -20% healmod and disease resist.

There are no stairs down to the previous floor, but stairs like these can occasionally be found, which lead to vaults hidden away on their own sub-level. We won’t be going into these vaults – we’re good on loot and EXP, and the vaults are nothing but deathtraps.

Every floor has one staircase to the next level, guarded by an extra-powerful stair guardian. Stair Guardians are usually high-tier enemies with skills from at least two classes, and with an unlucky roll you can end up with guardians stronger than even the final bosses. Luckily, fighting them isn’t required – if you can get past them and onto the staircase, you can head up to the next floor with the guardian undefeated.

As mentioned, we’re good on loot and EXP, so clearing the floors isn’t necessary. We’re mostly using Premonition and Track to figure out where the stair guardians are, making our way there as efficiently as possible, then teleporting/shoving our way past them and onto the stairs to the next floor.

Sometimes, emerging onto a new floor with most of our talents on cooldown isn’t the best move, though. A quick Phase Dooring away saves our hides.

Getting the jump on them through a wall like this is a pretty good setup. We can stop time, Dust to Dust through the wall, teleport/shove them out of the way as necessary and head up before time resumes.

On High Peak 5, we find a…diary?

Huh.

Another opportunity to pull the same trick as before. Good thing too – fighting a reaver eternal bone giant is not my idea of a fun time.

A proper diary entry on High Peak 8. Guess we know what they need that staff for.

Oh boy. Khulmanar is a unique demon that can pop up in random areas in the late-game – a unique demon berserker who wields Khulmanar’s Wrath. Khulmanar is the only unique demon aside from Walrog who can be demon seeded to obtain them, though like Walrog he grants no passive bonuses, so all you can do is summon him. At the very least, he makes for a better summon than Walrog.

He dropped a fun item. An artifact introduced in EoR, the Nimbus of Enlightenment automatically inflicts an effect similar to Inner Demons – the first time you encounter a foe while wearing it, a friendly ‘shadow’ of the foe will materialize next to them for a few turns. It only works once per battle, though.

And speaking of demons, looks like a dolleg shadowblade/reaver is next on the list of enemies we’re not fighting.

Whoa, that was close. An orc grand master assassin materialized out of thin air and drat near annihilated us with a single Flurry. If we had any less HP, we wouldn’t have survived at all. This is why we’re avoiding combat.

Thankfully, our destination isn’t much farther. On the tenth floor of High Peak, there’s no staircase up nor stair guardian – just a portal to the next level, which can only be activated with the Orb of Many Ways. We toss up all our various buffs, and head upwards to the final battle.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So, what, these mages are using the orcs to do, something?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Get them the staff, for one thing.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
When the mages and the orcs teamed up isn't exactly clear, but it was sometime before they figured out where the staff is. It seems like a safe assumption that they realized the place they needed to conduct the rituals was orc-held territory, and rather than fight the orcs it would be easier to get them on their side and use them as hired muscle to hold off anyone who twigged on to their scheme. The orcs have by and large figured out the scheme (though not the 'blow up the world' part), but are too distracted by the promise of unimaginable power and holding off their rivals to actually intervene.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have to admit I wish High Peak had a few more diary entries. Just a bit more explanation of what was going on.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
It's kinda funny how each Orc pride figured out what was going on, but wanted to screw each other over first.

Taj'Eyal world, the Precursors (Sher'Tul) fought and either killed or banished their gods. Gerlyk was the name of the God that was banished into the void; if I recall my Lore. Two mages, Argoniel and Elderal were kicked out of Angolwen for being against tradition. Adventures happen,, Argoniel was dying, so the Elderal used what they thought was a Blood of Life poition to save her; but really it was Gerlyk's blood. They came up with a plan to do the same thing Linaniil did; summon a god and then steal its power. But Gerlyk is manipulating Argoniel through the blood to just summon him and let him go free instead. Elderal is going along with it because he loves Argoniel and doesn't want to fight her.

Corruption happens, a god from the void influences them, and the two manipulate the orcs into helping them get the Staff.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 8, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I think the two mages (the young couple referenced in the lore) left because of a rant against "magical ethics" by...Urkis? I think? So I think they were inspired or something.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So I'm curious, at this stage of the lp, is it still possible for everything to go tits up? I've won the game twice, but years ago, and one of those was with a ridiculously easy oozemancer, so can't even remember if the last fight is a challenge or not.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

So I'm curious, at this stage of the lp, is it still possible for everything to go tits up? I've won the game twice, but years ago, and one of those was with a ridiculously easy oozemancer, so can't even remember if the last fight is a challenge or not.

Yeah some characters can and will get utterly shut down by the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah, first time I got to the bosses was with my cornac alchemist on normal with one life left. Rest in peace buddy.

• Locked thread