Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

multijoe posted:

Soaps are a radically different format of television and imo shouldn't really be considered alongside limited episode shows.

so soaps don't count because they're not really televison but anime does because

because uh

um

guys this is clearly a derail let's go back to talking about twin peaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
You allowed to ask for streams here? I have no idea what channel this is shown in in Ireland or if I even have it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I want Lynch to adapt Utena.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I want Lynch to come into this thread and ask us all to join him in some meditation so we can all calm down.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Et0a8fnuw

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hanales posted:

Because yours and the others statements are utter nonsense.

Alot of really weird aggression atm over a polite discussion of the history of serialised TV :confused:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

so soaps don't count because they're not really televison but anime does because

because uh

um

guys this is clearly a derail let's go back to talking about twin peaks

I think a 26 episode anime season and a 13 episode HBO drama season have more in common than a soap running for 1300 episodes from either country. Again, really unclear why you're feeling the need to be such a dick in a friendly discussion about TV history, if you want to score some sick owns the GBS thread is over there

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Escobarbarian posted:

here's your friendly escobarbarian reminder that despite having an ok amount of gems, anime is inherently bad and for perverts

edit: also that the walrus is the worst poster in this thread

Hrmm this post has a contradiction but I can't put my finger on it...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

multijoe posted:

I think a 26 episode anime season and a 13 episode HBO drama season have more in common than a soap running for 1300 episodes from either country. Again, really unclear why you're feeling the need to be such a dick in a friendly discussion about TV history, if you want to score some sick owns the GBS thread is over there

Have you ever seen The Prisoner?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you ever seen The Prisoner?

Yes. The Prisoner is not serialised, it's episodic. Basically every episode is a new Number 2 with a different plan.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

Alot of really weird aggression atm over a polite discussion of the history of serialised TV :confused:

friggin seriously. I was just posting in defense of kaqoru because he seems like a well intentioned weirdo who's made some really great posts in this thread and people were being really aggressive. and sure enough I get the biggest 'uh actually' abrasive crap out of nowhere.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Next week is the two-part finale. That means only one thing...BRING IT IN GUYS!!!

*every character from Twin Peaks, South Dakota, Las Vegas, the FBI, and the Fat Trout Trailer Park come into the Roadhouse with everything for a HUGE party*

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ingmar terdman posted:

Next week is the two-part finale. That means only one thing...BRING IT IN GUYS!!!

*every character from Twin Peaks, South Dakota, Las Vegas, the FBI, and the Fat Trout Trailer Park come into the Roadhouse with everything for a HUGE party*

**party is norma and ed's wedding

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

You allowed to ask for streams here? I have no idea what channel this is shown in in Ireland or if I even have it.

It's on Sky Atlantic in Ireland (I'm just torrenting it each week, gonna get the Blu Ray once it comes out)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can't wait to see the Mitchum brothers battle the forces of darkness.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Serialization has been a thing for literally centuries. In the Victorian era, people would wander from door to door with baskets full of the latest segments of the current novels, which is part of why Dickens was so dense, because it offered more to the reader in the time between segments. The current tv market is an exact reproduction of that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't want this to continue but I don't think anyone was saying that the idea of filler or of serialization started with anime or with the renaissance of serialized TV in the 90s. More that the modern idea of 'filler' as it related to obsessive fandoms came from those ideas. That might be incorrect also. I really don't care.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

James is kawaii. James has always been kawaii.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
This argument is filler, in so far that it fills the space between the episodes. And its the first use of the term 'filler' for anything.

Also lol its been hilarious watching twin peaks w/yall these last couple of months. Hope we get another season.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Match Game '78 is the best serialized television.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

The Walrus posted:

I really don't want this to continue but I don't think anyone was saying that the idea of filler or of serialization started with anime or with the renaissance of serialized TV in the 90s. More that the modern idea of 'filler' as it related to obsessive fandoms came from those ideas. That might be incorrect also. I really don't care.

ty for clearing that up.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Do you guys think Sheriff Truman ever fixed the leaky pipes for his wife? I wonder if she had to buy a bucket.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I can't believe people are arguing that "filler" is an anime term. Jesus.

Filler in television content, 1975: https://books.google.com/books?id=neMZAAAAMAAJ&dq=television+filler+episode&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=filler

Filler in television programming blocks, 1972: https://books.google.com/books?id=r3cHAQAAIAAJ&dq=filler&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=filler

Filler in a musical work, 1972: https://books.google.com/books?id=RY49AQAAIAAJ&dq=filler+remainder&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=filler+remainder

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Baloogan posted:

"i am the FBI"

My face hurt after the episode, I was smiling so drat hard at Cooper's return. Janey-E both realizing right away that he wasn't Dougie and that she still loved him anyways was just absolutely perfect too.

Goddamn what a good episode.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The sheriff was looking at trout jay pegs because he plans on turning his house into a fishing hole

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I mean, christ, it's not like we're getting a clip show episode or something.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Goon pedantry knows no bounds

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Walrus posted:

I really don't want this to continue but I don't think anyone was saying that the idea of filler or of serialization started with anime or with the renaissance of serialized TV in the 90s.

well, kaworu was absolutely saying exactly that, hence all the incredulity and sarcasm.

anyway, my long-shot wish for the finale is that we get to see dick tremayne leading an awkward wine toast at ed and norma's wedding.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is there anyone from the announced cast list that hasn't shown up yet?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

Goon pedantry knows no bounds

Let's be honest though, pedantry first appeared in anime in the 1970s.

I'm glad something happened at the end of Audrey's scene last night. I really had written that off.

And with regards to the glass box plot line, I know we saw a picture of evil cooper by it, but is that the pay off for that plot? Was he building a trap, or just something that would warn him if Cooper returned from the lodge?

That kind of stuff took up a lot of time in early episodes, and similar things could easily be seen as filler if there isn't much of a payoff. I know most people enjoyed the wally brando scene, for example, but I found it dull. And now there are only two hours left to wrap things up, which they are clearly heading towards with the events of the last few episodes.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

wa27 posted:

Is there anyone from the announced cast list that hasn't shown up yet?

Julee Cruise.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

chime_on posted:

Julee Cruise.

Oh... well I wonder what the last Roadhouse song will be then! :v:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

wa27 posted:

Oh... well I wonder what the last Roadhouse song will be then! :v:

I said it before in this thread, I think, but I'm hoping against hope it's a new one.

I guess the following actors have also yet to appear: Matt Battaglia, Francesca Eastwood, Heath Hensley, Rob Mars, and Mary Reber.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Calling it now- Nadine's super strength from season 2 plays a role in the last week. Green hand delivers an incapacitating punch to bad Coop and Nadine decapitates him with her golden shovel.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CJacobs posted:

I legitimately want to see a David Lynch produced anime.

I want him to team up with Hideo Kojima for a game.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

hanales posted:

And with regards to the glass box plot line, I know we saw a picture of evil cooper by it, but is that the pay off for that plot? Was he building a trap, or just something that would warn him if Cooper returned from the lodge?

That kind of stuff took up a lot of time in early episodes, and similar things could easily be seen as filler if there isn't much of a payoff. I know most people enjoyed the wally brando scene, for example, but I found it dull. And now there are only two hours left to wrap things up, which they are clearly heading towards with the events of the last few episodes.
I have a feeling we'll learn about the glass box and other stuff like that via dialogue from Coop to Gordon Cole. Cooper seems to know exactly what's going on.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I legitimately want to see a David Lynch produced anime.

I want Lynch to adapt "The Enigma of Amigara Fault."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Now we've seen Coop's return I can see why we spent so long with Dougie, he's back as the hyper-competent Special Agent he was introduced as in S1 and immediately set himself towards a direct confrontation with Bad Coop. it's magnificent to watch and if he'd been aware from the start there'd be no way to write a plot around him without limiting his abilities and making him come off as impotent. It's worked far better to keep us antsy with red herrings and fake outs whilst Dougie has his own misadventures to then give us his grand return firing on all cylinders for the finale, because goddamn that scene was exhilarating. Coop! :D

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I wish there was some eccentric billionaire out there just trying to finance crazy art projects like getting Lynch, Jodorowsky, and Kojima together.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm expecting zero explanation for the glass box. That seems like the perfect element for Lynch to leave for the viewer to theorize about it's purpose.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I want Lynch to adapt "The Enigma of Amigara Fault."

Nah he's gotta do Uzumaki. The dreamlike ending is perfect for him.