Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's a rooting thread for this.

Nice, I'll mosey on over there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My 6P starting to do the thing where when it says I have 15% battery left, I've got like 5 minutes before it shuts off and the battery is seemingly not lasting for near as long as it used to.

That's the battery going to poo poo, right?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

My 6P starting to do the thing where when it says I have 15% battery left, I've got like 5 minutes before it shuts off and the battery is seemingly not lasting for near as long as it used to.

Yep, the only solution from what I've seen is to replace it. It will get worse as well

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blech. I dont know if i want to put the time and/or effort into it if it's going to start bootlooping at some point.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Blech. I dont know if i want to put the time and/or effort into it if it's going to start bootlooping at some point.

The bootloop is a pain in the balls to fix if your bootloader isn't unlocked too

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Buy a pixel

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

Buy a pixel

Don't suppose there's an alert I can set up for whenever it next goes on sale in the Google Store, is there?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Don't suppose there's an alert I can set up for whenever it next goes on sale in the Google Store, is there?

http://www.nowinstock.net/electronics/mobilephones/unlocked/googlepixel/

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Thermopyle posted:

This has happened to me a handful of times, so I finally contacted Google (well Fi, where I bought it) to ask about a warranty replacement. They very helpfully sent back recommendations about improving battery life! Somehow me saying "the phone shuts down at 20%" means "my battery is draining too fast."

Anyway good luck. I wanted this phone to last another year, but maybe the Pixel 2 is in my future.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tasker can hide that annoying notification without root so there you go.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This works. Just used it thank god

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Alan_Shore posted:

Well I was curious if there are any significant changes or additions or if it's just under the hood stuff. You haven't mentioned any new features, just that there are no problems, so is O more of a stability update?

https://www.android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/

There's a roundup at the bottom. Some of it's features that developers will need to add to apps (which might have to wait til they're backported to the support library so they work on older devices too), but there's UI and system stuff as well

One of the main features is they've improved updating, so things like system and security updates can happen more easily. Fonts (including the emoji font) can be downloaded and updated too, so apps can use those - and that's in the support library so older devices can get them too. So there's a lot of stuff you'll only notice in the future instead of instant :pcgaming:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm looking for a good intersection of Cheap/Large/Thin for an android tablet, but it doesn't have to be very powerful. Planning on mounting it as a digital calendar/etc. Any tips?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm looking for a good intersection of Cheap/Large/Thin for an android tablet, but it doesn't have to be very powerful. Planning on mounting it as a digital calendar/etc. Any tips?

How cheap, large, and thin? I've bought quite a few of the low end Amazon tablets for myself and others as gifts. They seem pretty robust and if anything ever went wrong with them, I'd probably have better luck with Amazon support compared to some no-name manufacturer. The 8inch one is like...70 bucks. I put the Play Store on one of them with little effort. The Amazon Echo looks neat, but it's vastly more expensive. More than I'd be willing to shell out.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

It'd be neat to see this optimized for. Slower processor, low power draw, put the "guts" in the frame. Some kind of two-stage battery that would let you charge it without turning it off and without taking it off the wall. Like one of the frame sides is removable and can be charged like an external battery pack, and when you reattach it, it charges the non-removable battery.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buy a cheap fire tablet.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Mental Hospitality posted:

How cheap, large, and thin? I've bought quite a few of the low end Amazon tablets for myself and others as gifts. They seem pretty robust and if anything ever went wrong with them, I'd probably have better luck with Amazon support compared to some no-name manufacturer. The 8inch one is like...70 bucks. I put the Play Store on one of them with little effort. The Amazon Echo looks neat, but it's vastly more expensive. More than I'd be willing to shell out.

So I'm looking at maybe just a used Nexus 10 https://swappa.com/buy/nexus-10-wifi since they were decent, ran stock android and were fairly high resolution. But around the 8-10 range I think would be good.

Don Lapre posted:

Buy a cheap fire tablet.

This ain't a bad idea actually. The 8" is like 80 bucks.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If it's possible to tell the notification to sleep for a million hours via an api call or whatever, can someone here write an app that just does that single thing on boot then shuts itself down?

Save having to run full blown tasker to do it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hello a question i dont understand phone:

if apps on my phone can sorta instantly give me a notification, does it mean in the background its constantly sending or receiving info would this contribute to slowdown or is the footprint so small it doesnt matter

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ArfJason posted:

if apps on my phone can sorta instantly give me a notification, does it mean in the background its constantly sending or receiving info would this contribute to slowdown or is the footprint so small it doesnt matter

It's usually an event listener of some form. I don't know all about how it works under the hood, but I think it just takes a tiny bit more memory and a tiny bit more CPU once the event occurs, not counting the big or small chunk of code it might then execute.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ArfJason posted:

No, the notifications are pushed from the server to the phone.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ah, so it doesnt mean the phone is constantly going "anything get here yet? no? anything get here yet? no? anything get here yet? YES, NOTIFY"

thats cool ty

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I meant notifications happening locally, like an app detecting if you are connected to wifi, which could perhaps consume a lot of battery.

If it's notifying you of something online it can be both kinds.

The real deal push way is an official Google thing where the app makers has to set it up properly. Your phone OS keeps checking a specific place on Google's servers, but it's efficient and shared between all apps that receive push notifications. The app maker sends the notification to Google, your phone OS gets it from there and wakes the app with the message.

The other way is just as you say, the app itself running in the background, constantly asking if a thing is there. Loads of apps work like this, for instance a free weather thing that doesn't have any of their own back end servers, downloads weather data from a 3rd party and alerts you if there's a weather warning.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm looking at maybe just a used Nexus 10 https://swappa.com/buy/nexus-10-wifi since they were decent, ran stock android and were fairly high resolution. But around the 8-10 range I think would be good.

This ain't a bad idea actually. The 8" is like 80 bucks.

I'd recommend against a N10. They were pretty buggy by the end, since the graphics vendor dropped support. Source: I was a mobile QA rep.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is there a rom thread? I have a Tab S that I like installing new ROMs on and I haven't found the "one".

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wasabi the J posted:

Is there a rom thread? I have a Tab S that I like installing new ROMs on and I haven't found the "one".

The root thread is as close as it gets - ROMs tend to get oddly specific and only its actual dedicated threads on XDA or whatever can get into real detail.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 3, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, the Moto Z Play (2016) battery hype train is real.

I picked one up on Friday to replace the Droid Z I have as a spare phone since I switched to T-Mobile now.

Granted, it's in WiFi only mode at the moment because my SIM isn't in it, but it's still impressive.

I'm at 1 day 23 hours since last charge with 3 hours 12 min SoT and I'm at 51% battery.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe some time around Android Y Google will finally figured out system-wide light/dark themes, only to remove the option in Z.

Is the Moto G5+ plus charger base unreasonably large in all variants or is it just the Australian one that's purposely designed to be a cm too wide to ever be able to plug anything else next to it?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
In freedomland our electric plugs are stacked vertical, not horizontal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What about in China where Lenovo lives?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Google support has been pretty good at swapping out phones that have the early shutdown or bootloop issue. It was about 5-10 minutes on the phone before I have a RMA ready and an order for a replacement on it's way.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Only thing bugging me about my new XL is it seems like it can take a noticably longer time to recognize when I plug headphones in. Like audio paused, plug in earbuds, take 3-5 seconds to get them in my ears, hit play, still might come out of the speakers.

No one responded to this, so I'll at least say this has never happened to me. I use headphones every day with my XL, both in the gym and while commuting. The switch from external speakers to headphones is functionally instant. Maybe a half second pause or something, but definitely nothing like you've described.

Sorry I can't offer a solution. For what it's worth I'm just using cheaper earbuds, and usually Google Music or YouTube.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

incogneato posted:

No one responded to this, so I'll at least say this has never happened to me. I use headphones every day with my XL, both in the gym and while commuting. The switch from external speakers to headphones is functionally instant. Maybe a half second pause or something, but definitely nothing like you've described.

Sorry I can't offer a solution. For what it's worth I'm just using cheaper earbuds, and usually Google Music or YouTube.
Thanks, I was assuming it was a system-level thing but I've only been using my podcast app really so I will test out Play Music or some other stuff. No big deal, just a weird thing I noticed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Google support has been pretty good at swapping out phones that have the early shutdown or bootloop issue. It was about 5-10 minutes on the phone before I have a RMA ready and an order for a replacement on it's way.

Back when my charger died, I couldn't get them to replace it because they literally have no record of my phones IMEI nor of my Google account ever having bought a 6P.

:classiclol:

I'm just going to carry a USB battery pack around until I can't stand it any more and them see what I should buy at that time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I just dropped my 1st Gen Moto G and the screen is shattered.

It still works, apart from the slivers of screen removing my fingerprints when I use it.

Would you bother trying to replace the screen yourself - or just get a second hand phone off ebay

(I am reasonably technically capable and managed to replace the battery on it without breaking anything)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Unless you really need the phone to be that tiny just buy the latest generation moto g. The performance is much better than the first gen

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What are the first Snapdragon 660 phones?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

incogneato posted:

My LG tone pros don't exhibit the delay, turning on or off. My Bluetooth speaker exhibits some lag when disconnecting. It takes twenty seconds for the pixel to figure out what happened.

It may be a certain class of devices that behave strangely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 20, 2018