Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

It looks like a gripping bite. Neither of us were in view when it happened aside from a cry from my son. In hindsight I should have taken pictures but the left half of my son's arm has puncture wounds and the right half looks like a tear.

In addition, I feel at fault for it because we knew what the beagle's fear triggers were and didn't address it this time before it happened.

It's terrible that that happened, but, for future reference, never leave your, or any, child alone on the room with your, or any, dog until it's old enough to understand what is and isn't appropriate behaviour when around the animal. No matter how trustworthy that dog may be.
I'm assuming you've had the kid checked over by a doc? Get the dog vetted as well, if this is a particularly unusual behaviour it may be an indicator that the dog is in pain or otherwise unwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

PartyCrown posted:

It's terrible that that happened, but, for future reference, never leave your, or any, child alone on the room with your, or any, dog until it's old enough to understand what is and isn't appropriate behaviour when around the animal. No matter how trustworthy that dog may be.
I'm assuming you've had the kid checked over by a doc? Get the dog vetted as well, if this is a particularly unusual behaviour it may be an indicator that the dog is in pain or otherwise unwell.

Our family has learned a painful and likely permanent lesson as a result of this. Yes, my son was checked by a doctor. No antibiotics, but we are supposed to follow up with his pediatrician today. As for Lance the dog, he doesn't appear to act any different, although my mother-in-law believes that Lance hasn't been the same for a while. He always preferred corners but he's been picking areas where he's separated from the family unit since the twins were born.

Personally, as much as I love Lance, I'm of the opinion that the dog has to go, but my wife is reluctant. I don't think any local shelter will take him though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone know of a generalized list of dog tricks and tips on how to do them? I want to train the pooch to do some more, but I'm anything but imaginative.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
if you can't keep an eye on your children and your dog then you should probably give on or the other away.

the kids will probably live longer in the system than the dog would.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

Our family has learned a painful and likely permanent lesson as a result of this. Yes, my son was checked by a doctor. No antibiotics, but we are supposed to follow up with his pediatrician today. As for Lance the dog, he doesn't appear to act any different, although my mother-in-law believes that Lance hasn't been the same for a while. He always preferred corners but he's been picking areas where he's separated from the family unit since the twins were born.

Personally, as much as I love Lance, I'm of the opinion that the dog has to go, but my wife is reluctant. I don't think any local shelter will take him though.

"my dog's been being fucky and instead of doing somehting about it I just threw my kid at it then ran away and now I'm sad and confused and made everybody sad and confused what do"

what do: give everything away. including you. just give it all away. leave this world behind and transcend to the next.

Warbird posted:

Anyone know of a generalized list of dog tricks and tips on how to do them? I want to train the pooch to do some more, but I'm anything but imaginative.

there's 180,000 youtube channels dedicated to making dogs do tricks. Do you have some ideas of what you wanna learn? Because I can shoot links.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 28, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jesus Christ, he's asking for help, no need to be complete cunts about it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

DTaeKim posted:

You can try contacting some breed-specific rescues and disclose that the dog bit a child while they were unsupervised. You might be able to find one that come pick up the dog, foster in a place without small children and place it in a child-free home.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Jesus Christ, he's asking for help, no need to be complete cunts about it.

he literally killed his dog and had his kid traumatized because he was enormously irresponsible. this is nowhere near "oval office" level. This is statement of facts.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No he still has the dog, the family are still trying to decide what the next step will be.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

No he still has the dog, the family are still trying to decide what the next step will be.

dog has a bite history, dog is dead, that's the way it works in 95% of the world.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

DTaeKim posted:

Sorry this happened to your family, that sucks.

If it were me, I would put the dog down. Big picture, there are zillions of non-bitey dogs looking for homes and placing your dog with a rescue/shelter takes a spot away from a good dog. Think of it as if he has terminal bite-little-kid brain disease and give him a really great day then do what you need to do.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If he were a mutt then his outlook would be grim for sure but not a beagle. Those much dispised breeders, and purebred dog people, tend to step up if it's one of their own. As goodbee said, try and find a breed specific rescue, no matter if it's 6 states away there is a good chance someone will come get him. Next step would be to email any breeders in the area and see if they want him or know of anyone who will take him. He needs to be in a home with no kids and muzzled in public, that's not an automatic death sentence in the purebreed world.

Edit: first hit on google is the top 10 beagle rescues http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/10-awesome-beagle-rescue-groups-in-the-u-s/

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 28, 2017

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Just FYI -- I run a breed specific rescue and we do NOT take in any bite history dogs, period. Don't lie to the rescue, either. Finding a successful place for the dog to go means understanding all of what behaviors the dog has.

Don't leave your dogs and kids alone with each other, ever. Even for a second. Your dog does not have an inferiority complex, he is resource guarding the couch. Not letting him on the couch at all and keeping him separated from the kids and learning your dog's warning signs will go a long way. Things that look like "well he just bit out of nowhere!" isn't ever out of nowhere. Sometimes their early warning signs have been taken away (like growling. Let the dog growl, then give it space or let it have a safe spot in its crate or something.) Otherwise it will go from still to bite in a second.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

paisleyfox posted:

Things that look like "well he just bit out of nowhere!" isn't ever out of nowhere.

THIS

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Cycle them out every few days. Put some of them away out of sight , then bring them out and put the current ones away. It's like getting new toys every couple of days!

Cool, going to try this. The toy for the day trick.

Sprue posted:

What a cute pup! Is she a mix? I love that coat pattern!
I'll tell you what I do, tho you might not like it cuz it's a bit of a pain. First of all I'd set up some sort of pen if you're not crate training to leave her in while you're away so she can't get at it - I've used a bathroom before, with a soft bed and water and plenty of toys. I'm a firm believer in not giving dogs the opportunity to make mistakes as much as is possible. And then when you're around, make sure to keep half an eye on her and when she goes for the furniture give her a firm "no" and as soon as she stops hand her a toy and praise her when she chews on it. Also I love "bitter apple" or any of the other chewing deterrents you can buy online or at any pet store - you just spray them where the dog likes to chew and it tastes so nasty they'll give it up. The only thing, that spray is just a quick fix and you still have to teach your dog that inanimate objects are not all chewable. Good luck!
Thanks! Kanga is probably some sort of Catahoula/Koolie mix maybe.
Going to try the anti-chew spray on just a few delicious inanimate objects she enjoys. She's actually very good about sticking to toys 90% of the time, but that spray would stop some distractions.

She's super good when I tell her to "leave it" She will immediately drop whatever and beg for forgiveness. She always gets it =)

My dog wonders if we can lighten the mood after these recent unfortunate thread events ;)

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 28, 2017

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

For what it's worth, I see plenty of local breed specific rescues post adoption listing indicating No Children, No Cats, No Other Animals. Granted, I haven't seen a listing post that the dog has actually bitten a kid or killed a cat but I assume that would be disclosed to an interested adopter. I also have coworkers who have volunteered with rescues and transported/fostered dogs for out of state adoptions.

Different municipalities can have very different rules for what they consider a "dangerous dog" and the owner's responsibilities.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

there's 180,000 youtube channels dedicated to making dogs do tricks. Do you have some ideas of what you wanna learn? Because I can shoot links.

It's a "can't see the trees for the forest" sort of issue. I'd half considered just making a list of 100 or so and rolling dice every couple of weeks to pick a new one to do.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Warbird posted:

It's a "can't see the trees for the forest" sort of issue. I'd half considered just making a list of 100 or so and rolling dice every couple of weeks to pick a new one to do.

I think that's a great idea.

GoodBee posted:

For what it's worth, I see plenty of local breed specific rescues post adoption listing indicating No Children, No Cats, No Other Animals. Granted, I haven't seen a listing post that the dog has actually bitten a kid or killed a cat but I assume that would be disclosed to an interested adopter. I also have coworkers who have volunteered with rescues and transported/fostered dogs for out of state adoptions.

Different municipalities can have very different rules for what they consider a "dangerous dog" and the owner's responsibilities.

Dogs with bite records have an almost 0 chance of a future.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Euth the dog. Don't get another one.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Supercondescending posted:

Euth the dog. Don't get another one.

Euth the dog. = Advice
Don't get another one. = Same cunty dickwavering

What is it with this loving thread? Do you practice being offensive and demeaning?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Would it be possible, if maybe, you all gave OP a chance to contact one of those many rescues before telling him to kill his family pet. Beagles are bred as pack hunting dogs, and yes sometimes they bite, very occasionally without warning, if it is a young dog and a child or the dog has food and a conflict of interest happens. Beagle rescue places will be well aware of this.

I've had working border collies, working corgis, and working gun dogs my whole life. They (working dogs) are not easy dogs to own. they are without exception, very intelligent, easily bored and need hours and hours of exercise a day. They are also not the same as pet or show lines, which are far more easy going and home friendly. Beagles as a breed are not popular show or pet dogs, so are still "pure" to the working lines. (As in the kennel club hasn't hosed them up yet)

I really really don't like seeing beagles, corgis, or rough collies, on those "great family pet" lists because none of those breeds are especially good with children. A lot of Corgis and Rough collies don't like having their space invaded and will snap, beagles can instinctively snap over food.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A hound I recall seeing with a child bite history was a basset who'd been "fallen upon while sleeping and instinctively bit." This was in Canada.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Look, what happened is incredibly sad but it is not necessarily a dog death sentence unless you are 100 percent sure the dog attacked instead of reacted.

I think your wife might be being a bit more level headed in this case tho I can understand that your childs safety is your main priority.

My advice would be to take the dog to the vet for a clean bill of health, get a behaviourist in to help you work on training the dog and don't leave your child alone with it ever again.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Just reread the post , sounds like the dog could be feeling pushed out/ jealous since the children were born? If so and your MIL is right, you have been ignoring some big warning signs.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Euth the dog. = Advice
Don't get another one. = Same cunty dickwavering

What is it with this loving thread? Do you practice being offensive and demeaning?

thank you for your nuanced and biting critique

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

gooninawell.txt but with dogs

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

For clarification, we still have Lance. The state requires a quarantine for 10 days in case of rabies (he's vaccinated) and then we are free to do anything with him. He's not our only dog although I feel some of you guys would advise we get rid of our other dog as well because of this.

I can't blame Fluffy Bunnies for her reaction. While harsh, I understand the sentiment and I accept responsibility. Like I said earlier, I didn't pay attention and now Lance and my son paid the price. It's also clear I missed warning signs with Lance and that I also accept blame for that. I don't want to euthanize him either because we've had him for three years. So far, I'm currently contacting local animal groups to see what we can do for Lance.

I am 95% certain Lance did not intentionally attack my son. I think my son reached for Lance on the couch and he reacted to that.

Currently, our local county animal control is willing to take the dog back. They say they will test for aggression and then rehome him if he passessbv. If I don't find another shelter, I might go that route.

As for Supercondescending's post regarding not adopting another dog, I don't entirely disagree with this sentiment. I don't think we should house another dog until our kids are older but she disagrees. However, that's a discussion for another time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That's polite talk for "he bit a kid and we're gonna euth him the second he walks in the door".

Either euth the dog yourself and be responsible this time and watch your dog's light go out in his eyes so you actually learn something or go to a trainer and teach the dog that it can gently caress right off with it's stupid couch bullshit.

You'll send the dog back to the animal death camp and it'll be tossed in a landfill because that's what happens in reality but we can hold out hope. I'm a blunt person. You condemned your dog to death and your kid is traumatized. You don't need someone to cuddle kisses it better. You need blunt facts about your options.

If you choose to train the dog then get on that poo poo yesterday.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's polite talk for "he bit a kid and we're gonna euth him the second he walks in the door".

Why would animal control say that? Not saying that's not exactly what they're going to do but why lie that they will assess the animal and then not do it?

Animal control handles all the abuse and neglect issues. They have seen all the way an owner can fail their dog and they keep at it. The ones around here try their best to place all adoptable animals and "owner left tiny child and dog unsupervised and tiny child got bit" doesn't strike me as un-adoptable. There are plenty of homes without children who are looking to adopt.

I don't have any practical experience with the issue, I've only seen the data side where different municipalities keep track of dogs with bite history. It ranges from practically non-existent to detailed mapping, with photos of the dogs and the restrictions the owner must abide by to keep the dog (from restrained at all times to muzzled at all times off the property). I never saw any actual cases, the most detailed records only had stuff like "killed cat", "killed dog", "bit child", "bit adult, required medical treatment", stuff like that. Those dogs may all have been owned by the same owner who owned the dog at the time of the bite and they chose to keep the dog. That wasn't part of the data set.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GoodBee posted:

Why would animal control say that? Not saying that's not exactly what they're going to do but why lie that they will assess the animal and then not do it?

Animal control handles all the abuse and neglect issues. They have seen all the way an owner can fail their dog and they keep at it. The ones around here try their best to place all adoptable animals and "owner left tiny child and dog unsupervised and tiny child got bit" doesn't strike me as un-adoptable. There are plenty of homes without children who are looking to adopt.

I don't have any practical experience with the issue, I've only seen the data side where different municipalities keep track of dogs with bite history. It ranges from practically non-existent to detailed mapping, with photos of the dogs and the restrictions the owner must abide by to keep the dog (from restrained at all times to muzzled at all times off the property). I never saw any actual cases, the most detailed records only had stuff like "killed cat", "killed dog", "bit child", "bit adult, required medical treatment", stuff like that. Those dogs may all have been owned by the same owner who owned the dog at the time of the bite and they chose to keep the dog. That wasn't part of the data set.

Because that's how you get dangerous dogs out of the hands of people who can't handle them and let kids get bit before the kid gets their face tore off, or something. Sincerely. I spent a while doing this stuff. Closed doors and everything. It absolutely makes the dog unadoptable because it's an insurance risk. All someone has to do is crossreference this dude's post and they can sue the poo poo out of the county animal control. That's why they euth dogs like this. They aren't going to do any kind of test. They're going to go "wow it bit a kid? I'm so sorry, we'll see how he reacts in the back". And then they'll take him straight back and euthanize him. It's what they do. I'm telling you as someone who has years and years of experience -across the entire US and oversesa-.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's fair. The entirety of data points could very well have been owners who have chosen to retain their "dangerous dogs", like the poster has the right to do.

I suppose animal control might lie about an assessment if they believed the owner might not disclose bite history and they don't track "dangerous dogs". Places that track "dangerous dogs" better seemed to have relatively few data points (<100). It seems manageable to keep tabs on them.

Rescues would be less likely to lie. Some rehabilitate neglected and abused animals. The whole thing about legal liability is disclosure. There is still an insurance issue though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GoodBee posted:

That's fair. The entirety of data points could very well have been owners who have chosen to retain their "dangerous dogs", like the poster has the right to do.

I suppose animal control might lie about an assessment if they believed the owner might not disclose bite history and they don't track "dangerous dogs". Places that track "dangerous dogs" better seemed to have relatively few data points (<100). It seems manageable to keep tabs on them.

Rescues would be less likely to lie. Some rehabilitate neglected and abused animals. The whole thing about legal liability is disclosure. There is still an insurance issue though.

There are incredibly few rescues that rehabilitate dogs because most of them are overrun with dogs that don't need rehab. Though in truth this dog is piss easy to fix up.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There are incredibly few rescues that rehabilitate dogs because most of them are overrun with dogs that don't need rehab. Though in truth this dog is piss easy to fix up.

There may also be way more rescues who have rehabilitation in their mission statement and more feel-good stories floating around than actual dogs helped in a given year. Missions statements are easy to find, details usually aren't.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Lots of angry and dramatic people here. Maybe... contact a good behavior specialist and see what he says. Behavior stuff is nuanced as hell, not an easy thing to discuss on an internet forum imho.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I've been using this guide to work on "Come" with my puppy - http://sue-eh.ca/page40/page4/page10/

It requires you to use another person. I've only been able to practice that article's training a few times because no one is around during the day when I have time to train my pup.

Does anyone have some guides/advice/videos they can link on teaching your dog their name and to come? Guides that only require 1 person preferably!

*Edit* I'm using a clicker/kibble for her training, in most forms.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 29, 2017

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dennis McClaren posted:

I've been using this guide to work on "Come" with my puppy - http://sue-eh.ca/page40/page4/page10/

It requires you to use another person. I've only been able to practice that article's training a few times because no one is around during the day when I have time to train my pup.

Does anyone have some guides/advice/videos they can link on teaching your dog their name and to come? Guides that only require 1 person preferably!

Do the "Name Game". Works best with a clicker and treats (really small bits or kibble since you're gonna be using a lot; can even feed them their dinner this way, one bit at a time) but I've had success with just treats. Say the dog's name; every time she looks at you after you say it, toss her a treat. No look, no treat. She'll learn really quick that paying attention to her name is fun and profitable! Make sure to do this in different rooms, inside/outside, from different distances. Even once she's good at it, pull a surprise session every once in a while to keep her sharp.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Do the "Name Game". Works best with a clicker and treats (really small bits or kibble since you're gonna be using a lot; can even feed them their dinner this way, one bit at a time) but I've had success with just treats. Say the dog's name; every time she looks at you after you say it, toss her a treat. No look, no treat. She'll learn really quick that paying attention to her name is fun and profitable! Make sure to do this in different rooms, inside/outside, from different distances. Even once she's good at it, pull a surprise session every once in a while to keep her sharp.

Oh drat this is a really great idea. Why don't these obvious trainings occur to me?? Thanks!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i could have sworn at one point we had a dedicated dog training thread.. did all the pros get burned out in there or what?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dennis McClaren posted:

Oh drat this is a really great idea. Why don't these obvious trainings occur to me?? Thanks!

Forgot an important part of this. Once she's got it down and it's becoming a reflex, start to "fade" the treat. Now she gets one every 2 or 3 times, etc. Still give her positive reinforcements ("Yes! Good girl!" Etc), but gradually reduce the treats so that you build a trust with her that isn't just food based. You won't always have a handful of treats when you need her to listen. The whole process could take days or weeks, but it should be fun for both of you. It also has the added bonus of tiring her out from running and jumping to catch the yummies.

I taught Come by training a sit-stay first, and then using high value bits to entice coming over to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

sneakyfrog posted:

i could have sworn at one point we had a dedicated dog training thread.. did all the pros get burned out in there or what?

There is a dog training thread with a really thorough OP but all the megathreads are super old and original PI posters are old/busy/burned out now.