Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Did anyone else get a tax bill this week? I'm guessing it's the pm selfie plan to redistribute income to the working classes kicking in?

I have no idea why I owe this money and there's no explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you had extra income and had to pay some amount extra last year I believe they assume you need to pay instalments throughout the following year, unless it was a one time thing. Not sure exactly how that works as it's never happened to me.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

Did anyone else get a tax bill this week? I'm guessing it's the pm selfie plan to redistribute income to the working classes kicking in?

new head tax

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

namaste faggots posted:

Nothing, was it an assessment notice or did you just a letter straight from the desk of Trudeau asking for money?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

namaste faggots posted:

You shouldnt be such a dick in this thread... some people might work for the CRA.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well let me be the first to tell y'all cra employees to get hosed

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
they're taxing renters in anticipation of the special "pride of ownership mortgage assistance project for middle class Canadian families" they'll be rolling out soon.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Evis posted:

If you had extra income and had to pay some amount extra last year I believe they assume you need to pay instalments throughout the following year, unless it was a one time thing. Not sure exactly how that works as it's never happened to me.

Yeah, sometimes they'll calculate quarterly installments if not enough has been withheld in prior years.

We've also had quite a number of clients get their assessments in the mail still saying it's not been paid. CRA has had a habit in the past year or so with not matching up payments before they send out the NOA. I'd check with them to make sure.

Reminder to everyone: set up your online CRA account. It saves a lot of time in the future.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

apatheticman posted:

You shouldnt be such a dick in this thread... some people might work for the CRA.

I work for the CRA and I tried to look him up in the system so I could send him a random bill but he's using a fake name, there's no one under Namaste Fucker in our system. :(

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

HookShot posted:

I work for the CRA and I tried to look him up in the system so I could send him a random bill but he's using a fake name, there's no one under Namaste Fucker in our system. :(

Did you try the old CI name? This is very important.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HookShot posted:

You gotta use the actual name (not "Fuckers"). Typical CRA failure to catch the details!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Did you guys know that you can't actually snitch on someone to the CRA without knowing their social insurance number?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://intaxicating.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/your-questions-answered-about-the-cras-informant-leads-snitch-line/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Did you guys know that you can't actually snitch on someone to the CRA without knowing their social insurance number?

I regularly submit tips about cash business STEALING from me so you're wrong.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And 100% of your snitches end up in the dumpster

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Sadly not as I tried to tip them off about you but yet here we are.

Serious note just say they don't charge hst and have an income in the hundreds of thousands.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
There's a Greek food place near me that is cash only.

I just realised how key the "Greek" part is in this.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The Greeks are extremely private about their finances.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ACB question - I got a tax slip from questrade that had a small amount (like ten cents) that was considered return of capital. Is that per share or across all holdings? The values I was dealing with at the time were really small so I can't tell which it was.

e. CI this is unrelated can you consult the asian hive mind and tell me why all the take-out joints are closed today man i just watn some pepper steak

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 23, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Guest2553 posted:

ACB question - I got a tax slip from questrade that had a small amount (like ten cents) that was considered return of capital. Is that per share or across all holdings? The values I was dealing with at the time were really small so I can't tell which it was.

T3's are usually per fund or per investment firm, depending (I've seriously had clients with multiple T3 slips for like, a few dollars per box on the slip). It's probably not per share.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, my experience (noting that I haven't done tax filing for strangers in a long while, so just my stuff) is that a T3 from a broker will generally be across all holdings and if you have multiple holdings with capital return and want to actually track it properly (I can see not caring on a dime) you end up needing to look up info sheets for each ETF/REIT/etc to track down the per-unit amounts.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Figured this would be the best thread to ask, but any recommendations for best points credit cards? Getting a joint credit account with the spouse so we can track food/house expenses, so we figured might as well get the one with the best combination of low/no fees and points out there.

I've been using PC Financial for a long time now, no fees and all that. She has been using an Avion card from RBC, and pays something like $180 in fees per year. To me, that sounds crazy, but she claims in the 4 years she's done it she's had a free flight to the east coast, and now has enough points for another flight. I wonder however if the amount of points she gets on this card is really all that much more than a card with less cost (or no cost) that also gives points but at a lesser rate.

Most online advice is geared to the USA so its hard to find any good resources. I'm not looking to get into churning points or anything, but just curious what people's thoughts are on here about cards as they stand in Canada.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I don't have a specific recommendation for you, but I always recommend people consider cash back cards instead. At least with those you can see if you're getting enough back to make the fee worth it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Oysters Autobio posted:

Figured this would be the best thread to ask, but any recommendations for best points credit cards? Getting a joint credit account with the spouse so we can track food/house expenses, so we figured might as well get the one with the best combination of low/no fees and points out there.

I've been using PC Financial for a long time now, no fees and all that. She has been using an Avion card from RBC, and pays something like $180 in fees per year. To me, that sounds crazy, but she claims in the 4 years she's done it she's had a free flight to the east coast, and now has enough points for another flight. I wonder however if the amount of points she gets on this card is really all that much more than a card with less cost (or no cost) that also gives points but at a lesser rate.

Most online advice is geared to the USA so its hard to find any good resources. I'm not looking to get into churning points or anything, but just curious what people's thoughts are on here about cards as they stand in Canada.

One flight in four years for $720 in fees? That's the price of a flight, so sounds like a bad deal.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

cowofwar posted:

One flight in four years for $720 in fees? That's the price of a flight, so sounds like a bad deal.

Sorry that was all bad guesstimates.

The actual rate is 45,000 points for up to $900 flights, which roughly is about a 2% rate (as $1 spent earns 1 "point"). I think she's gotten two flights now over 4-5 years. I guess essentially she should be calculating the yearly cost of $120, and making sure she's coming more than $120 per year in rewards to come out on top.

Cashback seems like a good option, but the best ones seem to be AMEX which may not be accepted everywhere. I'm using GreedyRates.ca to check out the cost vs rewards benefits here (cost of annual fee vs rate of return on points/cashback).

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 27, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

How long does it take before RESP grant money is received? That's something I haven't been able to find on the internets.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guest2553 posted:

How long does it take before RESP grant money is received? That's something I haven't been able to find on the internets.

Usually a couple months, they seem to get submitted or processed as a batch once per month (I feel like a brokerage rep once told me the cutoff date, but I've forgotten) and deposited around five weeks later. I've been accurately told when to expect it several times.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I've recently gotten really anxious about retirement. I make around $2000 a month an I'm at the senior level in my career so my salary won't grow by much. I used a retirement calculator to figure out that I need to save $1000 a month for 30 years to have a comfortable retirement. I'm actually managing that now, but it's because I live like a student. Really cheap rent with a roommate, no traveling or vacations, no car, etc.

I'm fine with it for now but I'm not sure how I can keep it up for 30 years. At this point kids seem a total impossibility as does getting a house. Yet I have co-workers who make a similar amount with all these things. Maybe by getting into debt and doing no saving? They're gonna be screwed when they hit retirement age.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ccs posted:

So I've recently gotten really anxious about retirement. I make around $2000 a month an I'm at the senior level in my career so my salary won't grow by much. I used a retirement calculator to figure out that I need to save $1000 a month for 30 years to have a comfortable retirement. I'm actually managing that now, but it's because I live like a student. Really cheap rent with a roommate, no traveling or vacations, no car, etc.

I'm fine with it for now but I'm not sure how I can keep it up for 30 years. At this point kids seem a total impossibility as does getting a house. Yet I have co-workers who make a similar amount with all these things. Maybe by getting into debt and doing no saving? They're gonna be screwed when they hit retirement age.

Speculate in real estate

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ccs posted:

Get married. Also, move to Calgary or somewhere in Saskatchewan.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If the absolute peak salary of your chosen career is $2000 a month, you seriously need a different career.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah if you're making only $2k a month and your job doesn't even have a pension to help you out you need to dip out and go back to school.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ccs posted:

Get married, and get into the trades

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Risky Bisquick posted:

How does wife swapping improve the situation?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

James Baud posted:

How does wife swapping improve the situation?
By trading up until you get a rich one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Helps you meet their rich husbands so you can get *stock picks*.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
what's the best place to buy US cash, generally? we're going to maui in January and now seems like as good a time as any to get some with the dollar at .80

Risky Bisquick posted:

seriously, go be an electrician or plumber or something. work hard and you'll be making $40 an hour in a few years with pension and benefits.

large hands fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 28, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Get an Amazon.ca visa card. They don't charge for foreign exchange.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Get an Amazon.ca visa card. They don't charge for foreign exchange.

Chase stopped issuing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahahahah get a hometrust preferred visa