Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well that and the ability is better.

IDK that it's strictly better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mcmagic posted:

IDK that it's strictly better...

Abrupt Decay did not gave a poo poo about Kira and no one is playing Lightning Bolt anymore so now your best options are Fatal Push that can't always hit it or Path which is not really that popular lately either.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TwistedNails posted:

I'll forever just call it Sailor Jace.

This Jace doesn't even get to Sailor level. This is Cabin Boy Jace.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

If this Jace is good I will never try to evaluate a planeswalker again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

If this Jace is good I will never try to evaluate a planeswalker again.

I mean its probably not good, none of the abilities it has do anything all that interesting or powerful. Unless there's a random Doubling Season reprint incoming which there isn't.

The only way it's good is if you can actually spam it's ultimate a bunch, but it isn't like he starts all that close to the ultimate and his plus isn't the protective part (unlike say, Gideon of the Trials or Liliana, the Last Hope).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 28, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Would that Jace have been too strong if the loot were just a draw?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I honestly think this Jace will be standard playable

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fingers McLongDong posted:

People still play legacy merfolk? I think most people are referring to modern, where it's probably about even with Kira. It gets benefit from the merfolk lords, but it's worse late game when someone can just pay 3 for a path, where with Kira they'd have to have 2 spells or abilities. It being a merfolk is probably enough to make it just better though.

The moment I described was something I did eay back in 2010. Modern Merfolk dorsn't use equipment, but if it did, it would be awkward to use if Kira was in play.

I guess a more likely scenario is when you need to use Merrow Reejery's ability to untap one of your own merfolk for a blocker when a Kira is in play.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 28, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would that Jace have been too strong if the loot were just a draw?

In an aggressive deck like Mono-blue Devotion from RTR-THS? Yes. Going one-drop two-drop Jace draw a card would put your opponent into a bind, because if they focus on your creatures you can ultimate Jace, making two 2/2s and drawing a lot of cards per turn, and if they focus on Jace you'd have already gotten at least one replacement card from him. Of course as it stands the + ability is comically useless so even if you hit the ultimate it doesn't really matter, two basically vanilla 2/2s and some loots aren't exactly threatening.

The + ability should have triggered for each creature you hit your opponent with, at the very least. Like if that + ability was just straight up loot, the card wouldn't be particularly powerful, and it's much worse than that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Very glad to have this in standard.... Even if walkers are getting nerfed.

Elyv posted:

I honestly think this Jace will be standard playable

Walkers that make your good board position better and do pretty much nothing on an empty board aren't usually great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean, I don't think any of the abilities are powerful enough to be worth a card when you have the option to do practically anything else unless there's some kind of trick allowing you to use the ultimate. The color pie seems a little screwy so maybe there's some kind of UG deck I'm not seeing yet with what we've been spoiled on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Walkers that make your good board position better and do pretty much nothing on an empty board aren't usually great.

How are walkers getting nerfed?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I don't think any of the abilities are powerful enough to be worth a card when you have the option to do practically anything else unless there's some kind of trick allowing you to use the ultimate. The color pie seems a little screwy so maybe there's some kind of UG deck I'm not seeing yet with what we've been spoiled on.

Even best case where you cast a Welkin Turn on T2, Jace on T3 and, attack for 2 and loot seem pretty weak.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

How are walkers getting nerfed?

The 2 best walkers in standard are rotating out and the ones left aren't nearly as powerful? It's going to be Chandra, TOD and that is pretty much it in terms of good planeswalkers as of now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

The 2 best walkers in standard are rotating out and the ones left aren't nearly as powerful? It's going to be Chandra, TOD and that is pretty much it in terms of good planeswalkers as of now.

So they aren't getting nerfed at all, the more powerful ones are just leaving.

Last hope is still pretty great.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

So they aren't getting nerfed at all, the more powerful ones are just leaving.

Last hope is still pretty great.

Last Hope is gone. As of what we know now, there is 1 Standard staple walker after rotation.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
They're almost certainly gonna push the power level of pirate-Vraska

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you can deal both first strike damage and normal combat damage, you get to loot twice. An amazing payoff that's definitely worth the effort.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you can deal both first strike damage and normal combat damage, you get to loot twice. An amazing payoff that's definitely worth the effort.

Preemptive ban on Jace, don't make the same mistake you made with Felidar Guardian WotC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=ADORNED+POUNCER

This thing on 2, Jace on 3? Is that even good? What the hell does a 1/1 Double strike attack through?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I honestly think this has a real chance in legacy. Pithing Needle is a fine SB card and being able to T1 or T2 it and name the fetch in their hand seems solid if you're an Ancient Tomb deck.

mcmagic posted:

I dunno, I think it has potential as a sb card against control. Probably too slow, though.

-----------

this card reminds of rogue elephant, which was ok because everything was bad back in the day. Then they remade it as scythe tiger and it was bad. I think this is also bad

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jenx posted:

It just streamlines rules. It removes another corner case and defaults to an already existing rule. That's good.

I've been trying to learn the Blood Wars card game from way back in the 90s, and my god do I appreciate Magic's consistent terminology and rules language. I still have literally no idea how something like a half of one type of cards are even supposed to work, because the rule book is this horrendous thing of vague explanations and inconsistent wording.

So yes, everything that pushes Magic away from that is good in my book. (I mean, Magic has been doing that basically since it's birth in the 90s.)

My friends played that game a bit in high school and the only thing worth remembering about that game is that there is a combat phase named FLEX POLITICAL MUSCLE.

Angry Grimace posted:

Zatara Jace.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

this card reminds of rogue elephant, which was ok because everything was bad back in the day. Then they remade it as scythe tiger and it was bad. I think this is also bad

Without Hexproof or even Trample I can't see this being a great card. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I feel like at one point or another the new Jace +1 probably read loot, but it was deemed too powerful, so they nerf'd it until its current form probably went through a couple revisions. It seems like the effect would be an uncommon blue enchantment that no one would want except the dude drafting a the UW flyers deck

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Lone Goat posted:

My friends played that game a bit in high school and the only thing worth remembering about that game is that there is a combat phase named FLEX POLITICAL MUSCLE.

*Pushes up glasses up his nose* Well actually, it's an Intrigue phase, not a Combat one.

Honestly, the game itself looks fun enough for a 90s card game - it has some neat ideas, lots of room for design, it's just a shame that 1. It just got dropped fast and left to rot and 2. Nobody got around to making the rules more readable.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

I honestly think this has a real chance in legacy. Pithing Needle is a fine SB card and being able to T1 or T2 it and name the fetch in their hand seems solid if you're an Ancient Tomb deck.

It also gets around Chalice, which is the only reason to play Ancient Tomb.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wanderwine Prophets going up up up.

EDH is a mysterious beast.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

That's an infinite combo with the new wizard commander, isn't it?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

New Jace is loot on damage instead of just loot because they thought that would make it more piratey.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

uninverted posted:

That's an infinite combo with the new wizard commander, isn't it?

Yup, you can win as early as turn 1 with a godly hand.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

He's not the only one.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 29, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Count Bleck posted:

Yup, you can win as early as turn 1 with a godly hand.

How are you cooking up 7UU on turn 1? (4UU for prophets and 3 for the needed Inalla triggers)

Also I'm surprised Empress Galina isn't spiking harder/faster if we're talking about EDH nonsense

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Even best case where you cast a Welkin Turn on T2, Jace on T3 and, attack for 2 and loot seem pretty weak.

That's not best case. Best case in standard is:

T2 heart of kiran
T3 jace, plus, swing with heart, loot. Then you also have heart on defense (but hopefully it doesn't come to that)

I feel like Jace is gonna preorder for way too much, but then drop, and that's when I'm gonna play it in a bad deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My opinion is that I've given up on trying to accurately evaluate three-mana planeswalkers so :shrug:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

C-Euro posted:

My opinion is that I've given up on trying to accurately evaluate three-mana planeswalkers so :shrug:
Agreed, I just stare at them and shrug now.

Isn't the Boros one supposedly 2 mana?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

That's not best case. Best case in standard is:

T2 heart of kiran
T3 jace, plus, swing with heart, loot. Then you also have heart on defense (but hopefully it doesn't come to that)

I feel like Jace is gonna preorder for way too much, but then drop, and that's when I'm gonna play it in a bad deck.

Fair. That still isn't all that great.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Cabin Boy Jace isn't good. It's not bad and it's probably fringe playable but it's not good.

Vraska's Contempt though? Is that enough upside for it to not be bad at 4 mana?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

Cabin Boy Jace isn't good. It's not bad and it's probably fringe playable but it's not good.

Vraska's Contempt though? Is that enough upside for it to not be bad at 4 mana?

4 Mana is full loving price to kill something. Maybe it's a 2 of in certain tap out control decks but it won't be more than that.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

tap out control decks

It's an instant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

It's an instant?

I thought so...