Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life presents the rare two-pronged speech bubble.

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

"The walls are covered in bioluminescent algae so we'll be fine."

Mary Worth

The Phantom

That's how you know this isn't Newspaper Spider-Man: he can use a brick.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Small child not very good judge of the impact of adopting another child, full story at eleven.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mother From Another Country

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Wreckage

Was the ship Sam stole carrying a ribcage for some reason?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I think that's a different boat, that was also wrecked on that island.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 8, 1996)

Garfield Classic (January 7-8, 1986)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Is this blog in any way related to us here at BSS because it's the gooniest thing I've ever seen:

https://sonofstuckfunky.com

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (August 28-30, 1970)

Considering how good Peanuts was in the beginning, it's a loving crime that it degenerated into ... this poo poo.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
U.S. Acres

Pluggers

wednesday's Pluggers

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 28, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set needs to crack a window.

Working Daze thinks this makes it okay.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix jams its esallen.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
The pigs in u.s. acres have little buttcracks

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Working daze assumes a lot about how much people care about its continuity or own dumb little mythology, which is none

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2002 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Tina's Groove

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Working daze assumes a lot about how much people care about its continuity or own dumb little mythology, which is none

Looking forward to a callback to CatsAreTasty dot com

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Working Daze has a fanbase.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

breaker breaker one-nine, this is your old pal Pastry telling you that if you love the old school Dick Tracy, holy smokes the Warren Beatty movie is worth a reassessment

Seymour Cassel as Sam Catchem, my god, perfect

e:

The more you've read of Ye Olde Dick Tracy, the better this movie is, and it's the fault of the rights holders not cranking out caper-length omnibii to make this landing stick

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 29, 2017

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 3, 1952)

Nancy (May 22, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (January 18, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (February 16, 1924)

Lil' Abner (October 16, 1937)

Barney Google (February 17, 1923)

Alley Oop (May 19, 1934)

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I finally caught up on this thread and I just wanted to thank whoever's posting US Acres now for showing me the nastiest art I've seen in a non-Oh Baby comic strip in a good long time. I don't know what it is - the eyelashes, the rear end cracks, the identical colors on their blobbish bodies - but good god I hate those loving pigs. They really skeeve me out. It's got that Holbrookian vibe, "I'm not a fetish artist but maybe if I was younger and hipper I would be"

Also wanted to chime in on Spirit of the Staircase. At first I thought I would hate it because, oooh twee pixary tumblr style, its gonna be baad but it really grew on me. It was wise of them to start off with all the strips about the little fuzzy guy observing humans and documenting them, because I and I bet lots of other people are suckers for that sort of thing.

Also also I started reading Fleep when I was much younger and gave it up in disgust after a couple of pages, then never spoke of it again to anyone, so it's pretty satisfying to see it was just as contrived as I thought it was when I was nine. No offense to the person posting it. If you, like me, were wondering how on earth such a suck-my-own-dick strip ever got published in newspapers, the answer is it got cancelled two thirds of the way through. It only intelligibly develops its plot in the last 10% lol

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Zippy

Ripley's

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Fleep would have been so much better if after he figures out that he's the terrorist it just picks up Jerry's plot from bomb threat episode of Seinfeld

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks US Acres is loving revolting.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

For reference here's what Garfield looked like during the time period

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (January 7-8, 1986)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Fleepman also has a comic strip where library detectives (as in detectives who investigate book and library related crimes) solve a crime of who stole a book (it was the chief of police) written in the most insufferable and in the most tedious manner possible it's unreadable and another comic strip where it turns out some human beings are demons and don't know it until they die of natural causes except one guy commits suicide and discovers this and essentially discovers that demons jump from person to person after their previous host dies and just goes around doing the most disgusting poo poo possible like killing people with a knife made of frozen cum and loving camels and poo poo

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Calaveron posted:

(it was the chief of police)

actually it was the guy who ran the library
:goonsay:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I can't believe our technology to make people have hallucinations was foiled by people pretending they weren't having hallucinations!

(Also that's some pretty lame mind-control tech, really. I was expecting something a lot more impressive from the build-up.)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Double comics incoming today

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens There is no Sunday edition

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
From my brief memory of US Acres as a kid I mostly remembered the comic being more like the cartoon, where the only pig was Orson who acted as the straight-man for a neurotic duck and a chick still hiding in its shell.

Hoping the strip makes that shift soon because all that wall-to-wall pink hog-flesh feels like watching a comedy take place in a men's locker room.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

Lucky Cow

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Richard's Poor Almanac

Spirit of the Staircase

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Back to B.C.

Random Acts of Nancy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Simian_Prime posted:

From my brief memory of US Acres as a kid I mostly remembered the comic being more like the cartoon, where the only pig was Orson who acted as the straight-man for a neurotic duck and a chick still hiding in its shell.

Hoping the strip makes that shift soon because all that wall-to-wall pink hog-flesh feels like watching a comedy take place in a men's locker room.

As I recall it does eventually get to that point, this is pretty much just an origin story (I think the weird eyelashes on Orson go away at some point too).

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't believe our technology to make people have hallucinations was foiled by people pretending they weren't having hallucinations!

(Also that's some pretty lame mind-control tech, really. I was expecting something a lot more impressive from the build-up.)

Could someone remind me why they went to the trouble of kidnapping Willie and Maude in the first place instead of just testing it on their own people? Like, do they start out with kitchen hallucinations and move on to normal mind control or something?

Honestly I stopped paying much attention to this arc when the Soviets showed up. Evil Communists as a stock villain just have not aged well.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a lampshade..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Could someone remind me why they went to the trouble of kidnapping Willie and Maude in the first place instead of just testing it on their own people? Like, do they start out with kitchen hallucinations and move on to normal mind control or something?

Can't prove it works when there's funding on the line for someone to placebo it working.

• Locked thread