Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Shmoses posted:

Yeah whichever you slice it this is still Geelong having to play their home final at the home ground of the team they're playing and it's bullshit
Even if the game was at Kardinia you'd have to give half the seats to Richmond members because it's a final.

NTRabbit posted:

There are a lot of Crows fans who consider every coach to be a placeholder until Nathan Bassett or Simon Goodwin "come home", and they were really upset when we didn't hire Bassett straight out of Norwood instead of Sanderson, or Goodwin from Melbourne instead of both Walsh and Pyke.
poo poo, Hawthorn people were even like that with Lethal "yeah when he's done with Brisbane..." before Clarkson came along.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Who could possibly look at the history of "favourite son" coaches (Voss, Buckley, Hird) and decide that it's a good idea?

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Shmoses posted:

Yeah whichever you slice it this is still Geelong having to play their home final at the home ground of the team they're playing and it's bullshit

Were you this upset every single time an interstate team had to play their "home" grand final at the MCG?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If we can't beat Richmond at the g we sure as gently caress can't win the grand final there. I'm fine with it.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

racing identity posted:

Who could possibly look at the history of "favourite son" coaches (Voss, Buckley, Hird) and decide that it's a good idea?

I think most Saints fans are cautious about the idea of Harvey one day being head coach for this exact reason. Don't want a poor coaching career to be his lasting memory.

Although if he did come back and was the head coach for a Premiership team...

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Bucks was never going to go cause then Eddie would have to go and lol if you think Eddie is going to leave the Pies without a fight.

boy undead posted:

I think most Saints fans are cautious about the idea of Harvey one day being head coach for this exact reason. Don't want a poor coaching career to be his lasting memory.

Although if he did come back and was the head coach for a Premiership team...

Yeah, unless they've done a big apprenticeship at other clubs I don't want em anywhere near the senior coaching role.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

With Richmond's current offer reportedly just shy of $1.2 million a year over the same period, Martin would go from earning around $8.4 million dollars in total at Richmond to around $10.5 million at the Roos.

Despite this, Robinson says that Martin would be seen to be greedy if he moved away from his current club, doubting just how much of a say his father can have by watching from afar.

“I think Dustin Martin would be terribly greedy to leave,” he said on SEN’s Crunch Time.

“I think he has been offered a really good deal to stay at Richmond… Richmond have been a really strong component of his life.”

“Is it right that a father from afar says - if he does - just take the money, it’s really important?

“Life’s not all about money. He’s got a big start. He’s going to get between $1.1 and 1.2 million (a year at Richmond).”

The Herald Sun chief football writer also took aim at the current AFL free agency system for allowing such a move to be possible.

“I don’t like what it does to the fabric of footy,” said Robinson.

“I find it staggering that a couple of years after it started, one of the best players in the competition is going to leave his club purely for money, if he leaves.

“This is not what free agency is about, is it? Ripping a young player out of a club?”

David King agreed with Robinson, believing the system is not achieving what the AFL originally intended it to provide to players.

“When it first came in, I called it the cane toad effect. When it’s in, it’s in forever,” he said.

“You’ll try and find ways to alter the problem and address the problem and you never really get on top of it.

“What it was designed to do was for the Shane Tuck’s of the world, guys who are on the periphery of playing senior footy that get forced to play reserves because their club decides to rebuild and give other players opportunity, they can then play somewhere else.

“All it’s done is allow players to make $300,000 a year more. That’s all it’s done. The Players Association will come out and say we’ve had 50 players move but you only concentrate on the six or seven, but the six or seven change clubs.

“Richmond go from a premiership contender to an also-ran if Dustin walks out the door. That’s the sort of dramatic change it makes.”

I'm glad to see someone has finally spoken out, now that a potential Brownlow winner is on the move for the first time in history, and I'm looking forward to identical comments from Robinson and King about Josh Kelly and Jake Lever

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I'm glad to see someone has finally spoken out, now that a potential Brownlow winner is on the move for the first time in history, and I'm looking forward to identical comments from Robinson and King about Josh Kelly and Jake Lever

Tom Boyd left GWS cause he got a deal he couldn't refuse. Dustin Martin might leave for a deal he couldn't refuse. One is deemed to be greedy the other was just making the logical decision. One was contracted and the other isn't.

The AFL media is stupid.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Word on the street is that the Cats, Eagles, Roos & Saints to get aflw 2019 licenses.

Announcement will be sometime today, rumour is it'll be down at Kadinia Park (so geelong are 100%) giving the competition a new venue capable of twilight/night games.

I guess the saints getting up over the tigers is the fact their redevelopment is happening now and they will have facilities for the women ready for the 2019 season.

And an additional venue in moorabbin not taken up by cricket.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Periphery posted:

Tom Boyd left GWS cause he got a deal he couldn't refuse. Dustin Martin might leave for a deal he couldn't refuse. One is deemed to be greedy the other was just making the logical decision. One was contracted and the other isn't.

The AFL media is stupid.

Boyd was traded and had barely played a game. Martin is the first player people think of when they think of Richmond and is just walking away from the team. It's not comparable, although if I was Martin, I wouldn't give a poo poo what people said about it. Not to mention that from what I've seen, players leaving their teams because they want to play for one of the Melbourne clubs is a bigger issue than players leaving for money.

Question, does the AFL give any sort of compensation to teams losing a free agent of that magnitude? Last guy I remember moving like that was Buddy, but I can't remember if the Hawks got anything for him leaving.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Question, does the AFL give any sort of compensation to teams losing a free agent of that magnitude? Last guy I remember moving like that was Buddy, but I can't remember if the Hawks got anything for him leaving.

Yes. They will get a first round pick at an absolute minimum, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the middle of the first round, 10~12.

Compensation is given at the AFL's discretion, but they have some sort of formula that feeds into it (based on things like the players age and the value of their new contract).

What is kinda poo poo about compensation picks is that all other clubs lose by having their draft position moved back, despite having nothing to do with the trade.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Lmao if all they get is pick 10

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm sure Dean Gore will be available as a DFA

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
They will get a first round pick, which will come immediately after their first pick. So if they finish with the flag, they get pick 19 as compensation.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Ticketek system is loving ordinary, offered me two tickets, and when I went to change them to another vacant set, it took away the ones I had, didn't give me new ones, then put me to the back of the long queue again

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah you don't gently caress with it like that. It is pure poo poo, but you have to take what you're given and be thankful if it's a final with limited seating.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Boyd was traded and had barely played a game. Martin is the first player people think of when they think of Richmond and is just walking away from the team. It's not comparable, although if I was Martin, I wouldn't give a poo poo what people said about it. Not to mention that from what I've seen, players leaving their teams because they want to play for one of the Melbourne clubs is a bigger issue than players leaving for money.

My point was more that calling Dusty greedy and complaining that FA is destroying the game is pretty stupid because there's other ways for players to leave clubs to take big money offers. If FA didn't exist then Dusty would be in exactly the same situation except he'd have to be traded. But being traded also doesn't guarantee the club losing the big name player gets fairly compensated -- see the Dangerfield deal (he was a FA but the Crows matched the offer).

FA has issues, but I think blaming it for hurting 'the fabric of footy' (as Robbo put it) ignores broader cultural changes that would have happened regardless (eg. players becoming more business focused and less loyal).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Managed to get back in and get a comparable bay to my regular one, but on the fence in row A rather than S, so might be a less good view across the ground, and annoyingly got stuck in the middle of the row.

Site was spewing "not enough available" errors at me for 5 minutes before I got those though, so just took them.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Managed to get back in and get a comparable bay to my regular one, but on the fence in row A rather than S, so might be a less good view across the ground, and annoyingly got stuck in the middle of the row.

Site was spewing "not enough available" errors at me for 5 minutes before I got those though, so just took them.

I tell you what, if you get far enough, you're gonna love how it behaves for grand finals! Actually, you'll probably be a club member ballot, won't you? So you won't have to go through it. I'm an AFL member, and grand final tickets have always been such a joy. Oh good an error after everything has been entered, and the website says to try again. But you can't try again because now your membership is locked out because it simultaneously thinks you have used them and not! So did the transaction go through? Who can say? I guess you'll find out in 12 hours when the website recovers!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So let me (the stupid American) get this straight. Dustin Martin is out of contract after this season, and is eligible to be a free agent. That means he has free choice of teams, right? The way it works in the NBA and NFL, the team the player leaves gets nothing in this situation; baseball does give compensatory picks, but they have almost literally a hundred rounds of drafting so it barely counts.

I get that it's different and a change and the reflex of more lower-c conservative people in the sport is to grouse and complain about the change. We still get that (see Kevin Durant, he moved as a free agent to Golden State). "All it's done is earn players a few hundred grand more" and? If the sport is earning more, shouldn't the players do better as well?

What I admire in the AFL is that the clubs are just that - community clubs. Compare that to the single-ownership franchises we have in most of the other sports, and it's far better. And I know that some clubs have teetered on the brink in the past, but now that the league is doing better, I don't see how improving player pay is a hamper.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Free Agency is very new in the AFL, people here aren't used to it yet, as opposed to over there where you've had it since the 1980s.

We also have an additional problem that the US has ever had, which is over half the teams being in one city, Melbourne, and consequently all of the media and most of the additional individual player endorsement money is based in that city. This not only disadvantages the teams not in Melbourne, but creates a class of haves and have nots within it. Much of the media gravitates towards positions that naturally support the haves, and dismiss the have nots and non-Melbourne teams, and ruminate about how unbecoming of them it is to complain.

We'll figure it out eventually. Hopefully.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Volkerball posted:

GWS also poached another clubs captain while he was under contract but that conveniently gets ignored.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I think another issue with Dustin Martin, (although it barely gets mentioned), is that he walked away from Richmond and tried to shop himself around the other teams a few years ago. Nobody wanted him, (or at least not at the price he was asking), so he was forced to come back to teh Tigers tail between his legs.

So he does have form in being prepared to walk.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think another issue with Dustin Martin, (although it barely gets mentioned), is that he walked away from Richmond and tried to shop himself around the other teams a few years ago. Nobody wanted him, (or at least not at the price he was asking), so he was forced to come back to teh Tigers tail between his legs.

So he does have form in being prepared to walk.

Same thing happened with Rockliff last year. He'll probably have dropped his asking price and it sounds like he's worked on his attitude problems but jeez I would be cautious with him

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
ive had over a day to cool off about things and have landed on: footy is loving garbage and this year can eat it

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

also dusty should take the money, the gap between offers is a lot of dough and its not like he has to leave victoria. he harped on about being able to support his family last contract negotiations so following that through he should leave i reckon.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
My solution to all this bullshit is max contracts based on seniority like in the NBA.

No Godfather contracts for young players like Kelly and Lever because they are only allowed to get paid x% of the cap.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sloane in hospital getting his appendix out - the bye week is Good now

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

racing identity posted:

Sloane in hospital getting his appendix out - the bye week is Good now

Seriously, two cases of appendicitis on one team in one season?

Bye week won't really matter so much, he's no chance of playing against the Giants

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 29, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Got 3 tikkies to the Qualifying final. Could not for the life of me figure out how to buy a single ticket for my sister who is not a club member but for some silly reason wants to sit with us. Surely we should be allocated a single guest pass amongst 3 full memberships.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

For every 1 member ticket Port Adelaide members have we could buy 2 tickets, is that the norm? Seems strange to me.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It all depends on what they think the demand will be for member tickets. Geelong/Tigers is going to go close to selling out so guest passes aren't available for club members afaik. AFL members can get a couple each in certain sections of the ground (up top).

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

hiddenmovement posted:

Got 3 tikkies to the Qualifying final. Could not for the life of me figure out how to buy a single ticket for my sister who is not a club member but for some silly reason wants to sit with us. Surely we should be allocated a single guest pass amongst 3 full memberships.

I've never bought tickets to a sellout final and didn't realize they would go that quick. I was in the queue before 2pm and couldn't secure anything beyond single seating.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

harperdc posted:

So let me (the stupid American) get this straight. Dustin Martin is out of contract after this season, and is eligible to be a free agent. That means he has free choice of teams, right? The way it works in the NBA and NFL, the team the player leaves gets nothing in this situation; baseball does give compensatory picks, but they have almost literally a hundred rounds of drafting so it barely counts.

The NFL has compensatory picks when a free agent leaves; it's formula based taking into account the net gain and loss of players for the team in free agency each year.

I believe NHL does too though that I'm not sure how it works.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
As if West Coast didn't hurt Melbourne enough this weekend, their For (1964) and Against (1858) points rub salt in. Melbourne FC founded in 1858 and last flag in 1964

e: Melbourne also missed out on the 8 by .48%, the smallest margin VFL/AFL history. This some hella revenge for that late Tom McDonald goal earlier this year against West Coast
Also, after taking a dive against West Coast earlier this year, Oliver misses AA selection despite being one of the best midfielders in 2017. And, if Melbourne had scored 9 more points across the course of the year they would have been in. All this coming off the back of arguably the worst 10yr stretch in a club's history is....Richmondesque.

And yet Melbourne supporters have a sort of learned hopelessness that Richmond's never mastered. Melbourne will pick of Lever and still believe bottom 4 beckons in 2018. If this were Richmond then the addition of Lever is indisputable proof that they get the flag in 2018

thepokey fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 29, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

There's a handful of tickets at the back decks of the Great Southern and Ponsford left. Tiger army hungry.

snoremac posted:

I've never bought tickets to a sellout final and didn't realize they would go that quick. I was in the queue before 2pm and couldn't secure anything beyond single seating.

Got in at 9am. Refresh refresh refresh etc

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 29, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snaeksikn posted:

also dusty should take the money, the gap between offers is a lot of dough and its not like he has to leave victoria. he harped on about being able to support his family last contract negotiations so following that through he should leave i reckon.

This. But only if it's to the Saints as a FA thanks.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Testekill posted:

Same thing happened with Rockliff last year. He'll probably have dropped his asking price and it sounds like he's worked on his attitude problems but jeez I would be cautious with him

Rockliff went looking at options because Brisbane kinda wanted him to; iirc a lot of issues with his personality and a feeling that he'd ?burnt bridges? during his captaincy.

Dusty went looking for money and got, rightfully, slammed from all comers. I don't really care but he was a fan favourite and his potential exit could've been handled with a bit more grace.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

thepokey posted:

As if West Coast didn't hurt Melbourne enough this weekend, their For (1964) and Against (1858) points rub salt in. Melbourne FC founded in 1858 and last flag in 1964

e: Melbourne also missed out on the 8 by .48%, the smallest margin VFL/AFL history. This some hella revenge for that late Tom McDonald goal earlier this year against West Coast
Also, after taking a dive against West Coast earlier this year, Oliver misses AA selection despite being one of the best midfielders in 2017. And, if Melbourne had scored 9 more points across the course of the year they would have been in. All this coming off the back of arguably the worst 10yr stretch in a club's history is....Richmondesque.

And yet Melbourne supporters have a sort of learned hopelessness that Richmond's never mastered. Melbourne will pick of Lever and still believe bottom 4 beckons in 2018. If this were Richmond then the addition of Lever is indisputable proof that they get the flag in 2018

tom mcdonald also had a negative player rating for champion data in the game against collingwood, he got revenge on his own performance against the eagles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mitch McGovern signed a 3 year extension :toot:

• Locked thread