Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Assuming Ox goes through, Arsenal will have made a profit of £11m this transfer window. I'm sure £11m will slot in nicely at wingback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Having the money isn't a problem, having a willingness to spend it is. Wenger already sat out like five years of transfer window doing fuckall because he thought prices were exorbitant and unfair, what the gently caress kind of offers is he going to make in the post-220m-Neymar era?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Arsenal should sell Alexis and Ozil before the window closes. We are hosed either way, so I'd prefer 100m in the bank than keeping both players for no good reason.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've got a theory for how to turn around Arsenal's fortunes and it involves a Qatari multi-billionaire buying the team.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Libertine posted:

I've got a theory for how to turn around Arsenal's fortunes and it involves a Qatari multi-billionaire buying the team.

That African guy will do, too bad Kronke won't let it go until he starts seeing his profit diminish.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I actually agree. Stash as much money as possible from Liverpool/Barca/etc's last minute panic buying, let your youth/reserves get some European experience even if you go out in the group, and spend in the next window. You're already losing to Stoke domestically and you're not gonna beat whoever gets 3rd in group H of the CL so might as well call it a rebuilding year.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheQuietWilds posted:

I actually agree. Stash as much money as possible from Liverpool/Barca/etc's last minute panic buying, let your youth/reserves get some European experience even if you go out in the group, and spend in the next window.

i'm sure players will want to sign for arsenal when they finish bottom half of the table

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Jose posted:

i'm sure players will want to sign for arsenal when they finish bottom half of the table

As opposed to next summer when they're in the same situation and don't have any money to show for it?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
God I can't wait to see £11m profit in action.

e: Also I love how Wengy benched his new left back so that he could play a central midfielder who was going to be sold the next day at right back and a right back at left back.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

blue footed boobie posted:

God I can't wait to see £11m profit in action.

e: Also I love how Wengy benched his new left back so that he could play a central midfielder who was going to be sold the next day at right back and a right back at left back.

He's loving lost his mind, i'm convinced. Even if somehow he had some theory behind it, a loss means he would look like a loving buffoon and welp what do you know!

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I mean let's be honest: Wenger is not a good enough manager to finish top four this year and/or win Europa with a shallow squad with few stars worth their pay, but he's also not bad enough to get relegated without those two. He could sell both of them and buy into the mid table Everton/Southampton tier without much trouble I think, but trying to game their way back into competing for fourth place trophies isn't gonna happen either way.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Wouldn't mind seeing if Conte could rehabilitate Luke Shaw tbh.

Luke Shaw is too fat to play WB since he moved to Manchester and hired Andesron's private chef.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
drat you guys hit the maximum number of votes for arsenal being the biggest fail club, nice try blue footed boobie

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Apparently Lemar to anywhere else is now off. Monaco have decided they have enough money and don't want to sell anyone else

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Ravel Morrison is about to become the club record signing for Atlas, in Liga MX

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheQuietWilds posted:

Having the money isn't a problem, having a willingness to spend it is. Wenger already sat out like five years of transfer window doing fuckall because he thought prices were exorbitant and unfair, what the gently caress kind of offers is he going to make in the post-220m-Neymar era?

Most clubs can only dream of sitting out transfer window spending to the amount Wenger has.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

tarbrush posted:

Apparently Lemar to anywhere else is now off. Monaco have decided they have enough money and don't want to sell anyone else

GFFN are reporting it's not totally over so who knows :confuoot:

This has been a fun day

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

trem_two posted:

Ravel Morrison is about to become the club record signing for Atlas, in Liga MX

He'd going to get murdered for sure

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
City and Leicester are both in for Jonny Evans and one of the two will probably spend £30 million on him.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

TyrantWD posted:

Arsenal should sell Alexis and Ozil before the window closes. We are hosed either way, so I'd prefer 100m in the bank than keeping both players for no good reason.

i too would prefer to have 100m in the bank. don't worry about arsenal though, they already do

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EC10 posted:

i too would prefer to have 100m in the bank. don't worry about arsenal though, they already do

Who do you support nowadays

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

He'd going to get murdered for sure

Or he'll be running a cartel in a year

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EC10 posted:

Arsenal have about £180m in the bank, as of the end of FY 2016.

Also, I don’t give a poo poo about buying players. Wenger signed two great players and they played a combined 30 minutes yesterday. Arsenal won’t solve Wenger by adding more players.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

drat you guys hit the maximum number of votes for arsenal being the biggest fail club, nice try blue footed boobie

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Meh. Offer 80m for VVD.

https://twitter.com/skysports_bryan/status/902257989737963520

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Pierce, Joyce, Reddy, Hunter and King generally get leaks from LFC, so those are the ones to watch out for. Bascombe used to get stuff but got cut off.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Diva Cupcake posted:

Meh. Offer 80m for VVD.

You're pretty optimistic that Southampton will break down to sell to Liverpool. Liverpool had to "end all interest" due to the tapping up scandal and the big ITK on SaintsWeb says the club are going through all kinds of contortions to try not to sell to Liverpool (although Liverpool are definitely the closest to Saints' valuation for Van Dijk).

I don't see it happening. There's too much fan anger and some very good club discipline reasons for Saints not to sell.

Strawman posted:

Pierce, Joyce, Reddy, Hunter and King generally get leaks from LFC, so those are the ones to watch out for. Bascombe used to get stuff but got cut off.

I like Rory Smith a lot, but I don't know if he lets himself be used as a mouthpiece often enough to get the "ITK" scoops.

Tony Evans used to be really clued in, but I think he lost his best sources once FSG took over Liverpool. Now he goes on really convoluted anti-FSG rants and it's kind of sad.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lmao, Anderlecht just bought a new striker and he immediately posted this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RobertBeric/status/902242625020768256

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

it's real dumb that VVD was seemingly the only CB we were even looking at

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

tarbrush posted:

The big sources say it's all just foreplay and we'll probably loan them Origi on top. Don't be so pessimistic this year Tarbrush, we don't even have to bust properly this time, we can just say Keita will come in and fix it all whenever things go wrong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BBC reporting Ox to Chelsea: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41077833

Good riddance, really glad Wenger forced him into the team for three games for no good reason.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

it's real dumb that VVD was seemingly the only CB we were even looking at

On the flip side, maybe it's good that Liverpool are concentrating on someone who they strongly believe will be an improvement. Otherwise, changes are Liverpool will ruin any new guy just like they ruined so many other defenders.

I mean, remember when Lovren was going to fix everything?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/jamie-carragher-exclusive-dejan-lovren-7552212

quote:

Loud, commanding, an organiser and a leader - all the qualities that suggest Lovren is more than capable of making the step up from Southampton to the even bigger stage of Liverpool.

At the same time, I acknowledge that I'd feel more comfortable if more players were available once the inevitable injury crisis kicks in.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Klopp is generally happy with the squad and only wanted a few key players to add to it. I think we'll wait on VVD if it don't go through, Southampton will chill out after a while we just gotta let them be mad at us for a bit, get it out of their system. No point of just going down some list of sick FIFA defenders and signing the first one that says yes if Klopp is fine waiting.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Brony Car posted:

You're pretty optimistic that Southampton will break down to sell to Liverpool. Liverpool had to "end all interest" due to the tapping up scandal and the big ITK on SaintsWeb says the club are going through all kinds of contortions to try not to sell to Liverpool (although Liverpool are definitely the closest to Saints' valuation for Van Dijk).

I don't see it happening. There's too much fan anger and some very good club discipline reasons for Saints not to sell.
I'm not optimistic at all; I just think there's a certain threshold that can be met, especially for a club with a brand new majority owner since 80m is a shitload for any defender.

I get the fan sentiment though. Mané must hurt a lot. It's certainly possible Gao will try to win fan points to taking lesser money from Chelsea.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Barca were at their best when they picked their targets and endlessly tapped them up with full on tunnel vision, over the course of several transfer windows. I wanna try it out tbh it looks fun.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I love wengy and I hope he stays forever

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

trem_two posted:

Or he'll be running a cartel in a year

There is an opening on the cartel that just transferred Rafael Marquez to federal custody...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
as i understand it about half of the italian male population are elite defenders, perhaps they should look there more carefully

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

bewbies posted:

as i understand it about half of the italian male population are elite defenders, perhaps they should look there more carefully

that proportion reduces substantially outside of italy (or a radius of their familial home)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Brony Car posted:

I like Rory Smith a lot, but I don't know if he lets himself be used as a mouthpiece often enough to get the "ITK" scoops.

Tony Evans used to be really clued in, but I think he lost his best sources once FSG took over Liverpool. Now he goes on really convoluted anti-FSG rants and it's kind of sad.

let it go, Jen

• Locked thread