Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

TFRazorsaw posted:

the point I'm trying to make is that classic Sonic ISN'T a conceptual dead end, but if they follow the pattern of remixing the same stuff over and over and not building on it, it will be.

Like, does the next game of this nature really need a Sky Chase act? or the Hilltop Zone seesaws? or the spinning gears from Scrap Brain? Why are those even IN Titanic Monarch?

Remind me what mario game we're on now of him running sideways and doing the exact same poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kin posted:

Remind me what mario game we're on now of him running sideways and doing the exact same poo poo?

it's almost like people say exactly that about the New Super Mario Bros. series and that the last installment of that series earned diminishing returns to the prior one, and the next proper Mario game is full of significant changes and new ideas.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Super Mario 3D Land was basically Sonic 3D Blast but good.

Maybe it's time for Sonic 3D Blast Mania?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kin posted:

Every new Mario game has new power ups and enemies and level gimmicks, sometimes even new playable characters much like all the poo poo people are suggesting itt.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, also that

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Beasteh posted:

Verdict from my twin 9 yr old nieces who watched me play through Mania:

Sonic is the best one because he is the fastest, and blue is the best colour

Tails gets cute points though

Your nieces have bright futures ahead of them

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I patiently explained to them how to spindash and when to notice that the game wants you to just hold right and enjoy the ride (Mania does this a lot)

Watching a 9 yr old go from 'how do I go right/jump' to 'clearing a stage' was fun

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Honestly i'm very impressed with how the mania team remixed old mechanics in cool ways that I have no doubt a full original sonic title from the same team would be rad as hell. These guy are good a level design and theres a whole bunch of new gimmicks and mechanics that aren't recycled in mania aready.

The remix zones sped up development, with the critical success of mania I imagine a sequel would have a longer development and a much higher budget.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I want to play as Vector in the next Sonic Mania.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Golden Goat posted:

I want to play as Vector in the next Sonic Mania.

when i said i wanted chaotix mania it was a truth

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Mania brings a lot more fresh stuff to the table than the NSMB games.
The NSMB games got stale horribly quickly and tossing in "new features" didn't do much to help them, especially not when a lot of these new features were actually just stuff that was in old games but they waited before bringing them back.
kinda goes to show that there's more to the game than what you can check off as a feature on the back of the box.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sonic fans are mentally ill. I've never seen any other fan base make fan art on glitches or poo poo that isn't even there.:lol:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

Not many? The latest Mario game involves him using a magic hat to take over the bodies of his enemies. Prior to that he went into space, had a water-themed jetpack, and completely reinvented the franchise in a way that involves running around levels collecting stars and wearing different hats to power himself up. In addition he has JRPGs, sports games, kart racing games, and other poo poo which is all fairly successful.

The direct 1-to-1 comparison between New Super Mario Bros and Sonic Mania runs into the fact that even Nintendo was seeing fan backlash to repeating the same basic ideas over and over which is why you got stuff like Mario 3D World which attempted to bridge the gap between 2D and 3D Mario. (Literally the stated goal of the games.)

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sonic fans are mentally ill. I've never seen any other fan base make fan art on glitches or poo poo that isn't even there.:lol:

You, uh, haven't looked very close. I mean right off the top of my head the giant neon example of Missingno in Pokemon? or Ermac in Mortal Kombat?

FFXIV literally has a minion based off the fact that some people viewed Emperor Ghestal from FF6 as a dog-man because of the design of his sprite.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 28, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I want a 3d sonic game as good as Mario 64. That's my kokoro wish

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mario 64 isn't even the best 3d Mario but I think it's a bar that sonic team could clear

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

That design is effing rad though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Sonic Mania is great for us old people in our 30s who post on this dead gay forum but the reality of our times is that most gamers below that age group grew up with the 3D Sonics and connect with them more.

I think even for people who didn't grow up with Sonic, Mania is a good time because it's just a genuinely really fun game. If it's good and fun people will like it and I think that goes for any Sonic title.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

corn in the bible posted:

when i said i wanted chaotix mania it was a truth

The taxman wants to do a port of chaotix and ristar. Maybe we can get a chaotix remake that fixes some of its issues

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

The taxman wants to do a port of chaotix and ristar. Maybe we can get a chaotix remake that fixes some of its issues

This would be so good. Even more so if it had netplay.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

this manages to be horrifically offensive and horrifically inaccurate.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I may be a stupid moron, but seeing the video of sonic forces where you team up with sonic, do an epic high five and perform the 'Duo Boost' power and just wreck all opposition with crazy butt rock music about the power of friendship in the background put a stupid smile on my face like it's 1999.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I may be a stupid moron, but seeing the video of sonic forces where you team up with sonic, do an epic high five and perform the 'Duo Boost' power and just wreck all opposition with crazy butt rock music about the power of friendship in the background put a stupid smile on my face like it's 1999.

Nope, you're smart and also cool.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic forces will be good in the modern levels, not as good as mania in the classic levels, and mediocre in the oc levels. The story will be cheesy but enjoyable in its own right. I will purchase the game because I'm a sucker

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I want to play as Vectorman in the next Sonic Mania.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Al-Saqr posted:

you're target audience guy

for people with taste, blasting through content effortlessly using your sonic OC to music by the hoobastank man sounds bad

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Zand posted:

for people with taste, blasting through content effortlessly using your sonic OC to music by the hoobastank man sounds bad

it's good for some value of good and bad for some value of bad

but the biggest thing is that it's going to get real loving boring real loving quick

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

my oc is big the cats cousin and he's brown in color and he's half muck but not alolan muck

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

NecroMonster posted:

my oc is big the cats cousin and he's brown in color and he's half muck but not alolan muck

Half... slime...?

Never mind I think I found a picture.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Legin Noslen posted:

Half... slime...?

"found"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Zand posted:

well of course I think the game will be meh and I definitely wont buy it but the video did make me smile even if my objective brain knows that its just a few seconds of non-gameplay but it does make the 11-year-old sonic fan in me happy for a little bit.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Legin Noslen posted:

Half... slime...?

no, bigger and browner

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Legin Noslen posted:

Half... slime...?

What is this non canon bullshit blaze doesn't wear a dress, get the gently caress out of here

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blaze is the only good post Sonic Adventure character. Shadow is only ironically good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How dare you say such a thing about my friend, E-123 Omega

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You dissing Infinite? Don't diss Infinite. You are not prepared for the consequences. He is the sharpest of blades and Illidan Stormrage's fursona.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Zelder posted:

I want a 3d sonic game as good as Mario 64. That's my kokoro wish

Have you played the Sonic Utopia prototype?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it was discussed earlier. it has problems.

http://www.tssznews.com/2016/11/05/reasonable-assessment-sonic-can-work-in-3d/

this article does a good job of sussing out the issues with Utopia and Freedom

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TFRazorsaw posted:

How dare you say such a thing about my friend, E-123 Omega

E-102 Gamma is better. He died for our sins

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

E-102 Gamma is better. He died for our sins

E-102 Gamma isn't a post-Sonic Adventure character.

They're also like comparing apples to oranges and both are enjoyable in their own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

google "missingno"