Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

On Shen's Last Gift and Alien Hunters

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6wkiqj/were_the_developers_of_xcom_2_war_of_the_chosen/dm8spxw/

quote:

War of the Chosen doesn't remove the missions, but it does disable them if you use our "Integrated DLC" option to balance the DLC content (particularly how the Alien Rulers work) with the new expansion features. You can still play both of the DLC story missions if you turn off that integration!

Both the Alien Nest and the Lost Towers mission happen very early in the campaign, and we wanted to add another big narrative mission for WotC (Lost and Abandoned). Having three huge, lengthy missions back-to-back would be really draining for new players, so that was one of the reasons we turned them off for the default experience.

I'm wondering if disabling integration leads to the rulers showing up in regular missions as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Huh, good to know. I'll probably uninstall alien hunters and enable the integration for Sparks.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

There will probably be a mod in a couple days allowing integration with the story missions so I'm not super worried about it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also for people curious about mods someones been testing compatibility for some of the cosmetic ones here

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/18446744073709551615/2579854400744586375/?appid=268500

In short, its pretty hit or miss

quote:

More or less fully functional:
Military Camouflage Patterns
More eye colors
More armor colors
HistoricalCamoPack
Mass Effect Armor & Camo Pack
New Countries
Custom Face Paints
Lipstick Pack (Facepaint)
Stargate Glyphs
More hair colors
Symmetrical Kevlar Arms!
Valkyria Chronicles Country Pack
MGS 4 Frog Trooper Outfit
Anarchys Children Extra Options
SliWhists SPARK Pack
Adam Jensen's Glasses
Stenchfury Modular Armors

Tested by tiagobmiranda:
Destroyer's Female Hair Pack
Destroyer's Female Hair Pack 2.0
Lara Croft Squadmate
Hotline Miami Masks Pack [W.I.P]
Invisible Heads
XCOM EU/EW Ports: Tier 1 Armour

Barely functional:
Eyepatch Right (no texture)
[Customisation Set] Im Too Fancy For Thouse Ayys (some textures/materials might not be working right)
XCOM EU/EW Ports: Helmets (textures don't load and can cause crashing)
WA'sCustomGear (texture errors)
Halo ODST Armour (no textures)
XCOM EU/EW Ports: Extras (no texture, causes lag)
Halo Reach Marines Pack (texture errors on helmets, not textures on everything else)
EW MEC Ports (no textures, slight lag)
ME3 Tali Squadmate (no textures besides face plate)
ME3 Kasumi Squadmate (some textures load, others don't)
ME 3 Cat-6 Mercenaries Pack (no textures)
CX Praetor Armor (Doomguy / Chick 2016) (leg & 1 helmet textures work, error on transparent face plate, no textures on arms and chest)
Warden Gear (no textures and/or texture errors)
ADVENT MEC For SPARK (no textures)
XCom EW helmets for SPARK's (texture errors and/or no textures)
Spart's SPARKBashes (some textures work, others turn neon, some have bits that bug out)
Capn' Bubs (some textures work, others broken)

Tested by tiagobmiranda:
Marvel Squadmate - Deadpool (no textures)
[PAYDAY] Payday 2: Masks (no textures, which is no surprise since there is a disclaimer at its description stating that it doesn't work with the propaganda center)
Star Wars Helmets (no textures, causes lag. R.I.P. Platoon, and thanks for the awesome mod)

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does the new expansion make this a better game? The base game's difficulty curve is really off-putting to me, is it still difficult start to easier and easier game as it progresses?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Does the new expansion make this a better game? The base game's difficulty curve is really off-putting to me, is it still difficult start to easier and easier game as it progresses?

You just described literally every XCOM

LordNat
May 16, 2009

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Victory lap is always going to be a thing without heavy use of mods. The Expansion does not change that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What does the "Integrated DLC" setting do then? Put the mission rewards just in by default?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fadam posted:

What does the "Integrated DLC" setting do then? Put the mission rewards just in by default?

Makes it so that the hunter weapons/1st Spark aren't free and locks them behind research instead of being available by default. Also has the Rulers guard facilities to activate them instead of the normal activation.

Also their story missions are disabled.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Zore posted:

Makes it so that the hunter weapons/1st Spark aren't free and locks them behind research instead of being available by default. Also has the Rulers guard facilities to activate them instead of the normal activation.

Also their story missions are disabled.

That sounds good, i never need to play the spark story mission again

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm seriously considering using Beta Strike on my first WotC play through. Maybe I'll wait to see how easy it is to bump the squad/pod size up a bit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kris xK posted:

I'm seriously considering using Beta Strike on my first WotC play through. Maybe I'll wait to see how easy it is to bump the squad size up a bit.

Make sure you also do the one that increases timers with that or it could be insanely dicey.

Rushing for larger squad sizes is harder now too since you have to rotate your squad so EXP is distributed over a larger pool of recruits.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

I guess XCOM 2 compared to XCOM (one) of the recent games it felt a lot more inverted and the mid game felt significantly easier, not just the end game.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Zore posted:

Make sure you also do the one that increases timers with that or it could be insanely dicey.

Rushing for larger squad sizes is harder now too since you have to rotate your squad so EXP is distributed over a larger pool of recruits.

Iirc Beta Strike automatically increases timer limits. I think it also auto heals 50% of damage taken so you don't have guys in the infirmary for 4 years.

That's an excellent point about EXP and soldier rotation tho, didn't think about that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I guess XCOM 2 compared to XCOM (one) of the recent games it felt a lot more inverted and the mid game felt significantly easier, not just the end game.

They've buffed end-game enemy stats, and some of the new enemy types are pretty nasty and use things like Stasis against you, but you also get even more powerful tools to fight them so :shrug:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, Apocalypse is a rollercoaster all over the place, it's very easy at start because you actually start with non-poo poo weapons and armor, whereas aliens don't even have guns at first.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bholder posted:

They patched the game multiple times already.
Bugs reamin still, bugs will always remain, there is no such thing as a perfect work.
True in abstract, but last time I played I had to stop using Quickload because it would cause line of sight to be cast through solid walls and basically anything that wasn't hard ground. Not sure how that got past QA.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Pyromancer posted:

No, Apocalypse is a rollercoaster all over the place, it's very easy at start because you actually start with non-poo poo weapons and armor, whereas aliens don't even have guns at first.

The Apocalypse late game is hilarious. Blast a hole in the floor, jump down and systematically tear the entire map apart, killing any aliens that fall down to your death squad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Donnerberg posted:

The Apocalypse late game is hilarious. Blast a hole in the floor, jump down and systematically tear the entire map apart, killing any aliens that fall down to your death squad.

The Apocalypse entire game is hilarious. Burn down every building with dual wielded grenade launchers armed with a combination of HE and WP, stick missiles on your squadron of hover bikes, accidentally blow up all the roads and so taxis carrying your new recruits can't get to base and nobody is willing to sell you gear, so you have to source all your weapons and explosives from raiding the arms companies and gangs. XCom becomes even worse than the aliens for the city.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Xcom EW has a way easier endgame than Xcom 2. Once you finish the alien base in Xcom EW its basically impossible to lose your campaign and your soldiers are rapidly reaching the point where their OP abilities let them steamroll most missions. I found Xcom 2's pacing to be way better, and there is a lot more room for error in the endgame.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never played the Rulers dlc, everything I've seen from off-hand looks like very unfun stuff when I'm going through missions.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Apocalypse entire game is hilarious. Burn down every building with dual wielded grenade launchers armed with a combination of HE and WP, stick missiles on your squadron of hover bikes, accidentally blow up all the roads and so taxis carrying your new recruits can't get to base and nobody is willing to sell you gear, so you have to source all your weapons and explosives from raiding the arms companies and gangs. XCom becomes even worse than the aliens for the city.

Seriously, retaliatory raids felt so good in Apocalypse. Cult of Sirius holed up in their tower? Det-charge the building into rubble and execute the survivors. Or bomb the entire block to dust from the relative safety of the worldscape. Aliens playing hide-and-go-seek with you in an apartment complex? Gas & burn the building to the ground.

I seem to recall more than one occasion where I was at odds with the organization responsible for city-wide public transportation, and they refused to transport new recruits to any of my facilities. So I had to send an X-Com vehicle to pick them up as if I was starting a tactical mission (and blow up a few of the organization's roads/buildings on the way back to base, for good measure).

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 28, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I'm having a problem where whenever I try to put a spider suit on a guy, the game stops responding and closes. I'm validating files at the moment, but has anyone else had a similar problem and remember what fixed it?

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Apocalypse was my favorite growing up for this reason. Almost everyone got autocannons with HE and Incindiary ammo, and high explosive charges. I would just level everything I could and go down into smouldering basements to clean up the survivors.

It was the Ghostbusters method to bustin' aliens. :black101:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

This is one of the things that I think makes Apocalypse something to keep going back to when you are looking for XCOM game ideas - the difficulty curve is a rollercoaster all over the place. Entropy and homing missiles are the worst kind of difficulty, but it really strives to break that 'the game is trivial at the end' problem.

Even though most of the potential in the design pitch never panned out, dropping the scale of the game down to a single future-city where you have to manage your relationship with all the power groups keeping the lights on and the water flowing was also a fantastic move.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

So I'm having a problem where whenever I try to put a spider suit on a guy, the game stops responding and closes. I'm validating files at the moment, but has anyone else had a similar problem and remember what fixed it?

Have you removed any mods recently on that current save?

Caros
May 14, 2008

How has no one posted this?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

God I love that. XCOM 2 bringing us closer to being able to do that in a modern game is fantastic, and I want to cheat a game to have, like, 12 shredders cannons on every mission so I can drop buildings on fools.

Fun fact I learned yesterday: If you blow up the ground someone is standing on, and their tile was right above someone elses, they land on that person and damage them! In my case he took 4 damage, but I don't know if it scales with height or health or anything.

Bolow posted:

Have you removed any mods recently on that current save?

No. However, I have had the problem where I disabled a cosmetic mod before starting the save and the mod pieces are still appearing on the characters, so maybe that's contributing to it glitching out?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 29, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

I never played the Rulers dlc, everything I've seen from off-hand looks like very unfun stuff when I'm going through missions.

Whether or not you enjoy rulers really depends on how much you enjoy the difficulty aspect of these games. I love them because they are unique threats that require a drastically different approach to deal with. If you're someone that just enjoys casually blowing up aliens though they are just an extra headache.

The gear is pretty fun to play with though. I'd really miss boltcaster rangers if I disabled the DLC.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Re: Apoc

Demoing hostile corp buildings was the best. Run around planting high explosives and then level the place.

Now if only that had been an option for TFTD Cruise ship terror sites...

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kris xK posted:

Re: Apoc

Demoing hostile corp buildings was the best. Run around planting high explosives and then level the place.

Now if only that had been an option for TFTD Cruise ship terror sites...

"Sir! There is an alien terror mission on the Titanic III."

Hit it with a cruise missile and tell the press it ran into a coral reef or something.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

C'mon GMG, seriously? It unlocks in four loving hours, get your poo poo together.

Edit: I just checked and of course, their refund policy is garbage. Welp, guess I know not to buy from these guys again if I actually want to play the game on time.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 29, 2017

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

C'mon GMG, seriously? It unlocks in four loving hours, get your poo poo together.

People on the GMG page for War of the Chosen bitching them out in the comments over it, too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I still think that Xcom 2 is setting up for an Apocalypse style game with the creation of megacities and the state of the setting at the end of the campaign.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Edit: I just checked and of course, their refund policy is garbage. Welp, guess I know not to buy from these guys again if I actually want to play the game on time.

Kinda hosed up, I have never been screwed by them before. Though as long as I get the key before it launches I'll be ok with it.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

MikeC posted:

Kinda hosed up, I have never been screwed by them before. Though as long as I get the key before it launches I'll be ok with it.

I wonder if Valve's new policy on generating keys is going to start affecting things like this. Didn't really think about that until today.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I still think that Xcom 2 is setting up for an Apocalypse style game with the creation of megacities and the state of the setting at the end of the campaign.

With sparks and skirmishers we even have androids and hybrids

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

MikeC posted:

Yeah I've never had a problem with GMG before, I hope that doesn't change.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
On Amazon, you're getting it midnight tonight. The complaining is kinda crazy to me. Unless they offer you a guaranteed 'here's your key at X time,' always assume you're gonna get it when it goes live for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I've had good experiences with their support but I've also read claims of them locking accounts over refund requests so who knows.