Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i mean yeah if you want everything to take way longer go ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Maybe I'm just bad at them, but nearly every monster I tried ambushing always turned around, so this was my strategy pretty much always anyway. Also for CS2:

Really Pants posted:

you can't spell "field attacks" without Fie

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://my.mixtape.moe/ckrrcn.webm

in cs2 you swing twice each time, and rean is the only character who's good at it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/901225996250038272

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

This is not going to apply for months when CS 2 comes out, but don't rely on triple advantage all day. They change how field attacks work, and it's much much worse and slower.

Terper posted:

Just use ranged attackers/run away until they turn their backs :confused:

This right here.

lets hang out posted:

Baiting an enemy, waiting for them to turn around and then snipe and engage them does take a little while longer, say, 5 to 8 seconds. But getting triple advantage consistently, instead of just every once in a while, still means the battle itself will be over much sooner since enemies take damage right at the start and you get enough free turns in to kill everything before it has a chance to move. If you're able to consistently hit and circle enemies, the bait and snipe method takes longer, but otherwise it's probably still the most efficient way to take out randoms in the long run.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
With Rean you can very easily keep hitting them quickly while inching around them after every hit, it's annoying that I only discovered this towards the end of the game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fie and any of the grown-ups in CS2 can faint 90% of monsters before they notice you, and enough swings from Laura will faint the other 10% from any angle.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wait what the hell you could examine the message board outside the classroom all this time??

I've missed so much flavor text :negative:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Terper posted:

Wait what the hell you could examine the message board outside the classroom all this time??

Wait what? Where? When? :stare:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Wait what? Where? When? :stare:

Right outside Class VII's classroom.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Terper posted:

It seems like it changes only once a chapter, so if you have any save in Trista between returning from a field study to about to leave on the next in each chapter, that's all you need.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 27, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

On one hand, I hope that they manage to fix the in-game signs being the same that they were in the Japanese version so it doesn't look so sloppy, on the other hand, lol

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
That's clearly their training facility, doesn't seem to be a problem.

I typed that stupid joke up, and then I noticed "Militaly"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Machias sleeps with his glasses on, this is the worst game ever.

Jusis imitating Sara's voice and Machias is loving it, best game ever.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
got a 3.9x multiplier on a boss and my exp gain capped at 9999, wtf

why do they let you stack multipliers if the cap is so low? I'm only at the end of chapter 3 and I'm already hitting it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

and his necktie

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

To be fair, Machis is a dweeb.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Billzasilver posted:

It gets worse. Emma and Machias SWIM with their glasses on.

da beeper king BABY posted:

got a 3.9x multiplier on a boss and my exp gain capped at 9999, wtf

I got a 3.5x multiplier on the Chapter 3 boss myself. I think it's all the spiders it keeps summoning. Alisa had leveled up in the Chapter 3 semi-final boss seconds earlier and gained an entire level afterwards - and my party was already a couple levels higher than expected at level 31.

Also, gently caress swimming. It took me about a dozen tries to win. On Hard you have basically zero room for error, although bafflingly, I somehow managed to win despite two misses on my sucessful attempt. I guess getting many Greats are required. Just Goods do not cut it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 29, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Also, gently caress swimming. It took me about a dozen tries to win. On Hard you have basically zero room for error, although bafflingly, I somehow managed to win despite two misses on my sucessful attempt. I guess getting many Greats are required. Just Goods do not cut it.
:allears:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
git gud at rhythm games

I was really grateful for Turbo Mode last week when I played through Chapter 3. Lots of backtracking all over the area that I got to fast-forward through, especially since I decided to hunt a few extra U-Materials

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

:shepicide: And why was there an annoying swimming section right after two boss fights and a billion cutscenes when I just wanted to saaaave? By the time I got a chance to save, my Time Played had gone up by - no kidding - an hour and 20 minutes since the save before the Chapter 3 boss.

I learned that if you hit no buttons at all you can come in third in the swimming race. That's right, Rean putting in no effort is still a better swimmer than Elliot.

On the plus side, Alisa'a VA had some of her best delivered lines in the swimming pool cutscenes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 29, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

:shepicide: And why was there an annoying swimming section right after two boss fights and a billion cutscenes when I just wanted to saaaave? By the time I got a chance to save, my Time Played had gone up by - no kidding - an hour and 20 minutes since the save before the Chapter 3 boss.

I learned that if you hit no buttons at all you can come in third in the swimming race. That's right, Rean putting in no effort is still a better swimmer than Elliot.

On the plus side, Alisa'a VA had some of her best delivered lines in the swimming pool cutscenes.

There should have been a save point just before that, as I recall.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's the end of the chapter beginning of the next so yeah there was a save right before the swimming.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

How extreme is the exp scaling in cold steel, compared to sky? The exp multipliers are making it a bit harder for me to figure out.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Probably pretty much the same.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Early Chapter 4 stuff.

- I've switched up my party members so much that somehow, JUSIS has more XP than Rean, and he sat out one field study, two trips to the old schoolhouse, and half a day of one of the field studies he participated in. That's solely on merit of the slight XP difference between participating in a fight and being in reserve.
- I've also managed to get Rean and Alisa to link level 4 before entering the Old Schoolhouse in Chapter 4, although that was on purpose. I probably won't be able to get them up to level 5 before mid-chapter 6, though.
- Sara really tuned up the combat shell for the Childhood Friend quest in Chapter 4, because on Hard, forget Rean holding back to make the NPC look good, the fight was genuinely difficult. It kept me on my heels pretty well and I needed to use a lot of items, and I drained all of Rean’s EP on buffs and healing. I am really enjoying the challenge of Hard difficulty.
- I complained about the swimming earlier, but Machias was a much less challenging swimming opponent than Sara. I made several screw-ups and still won by an arm-length.

The Seraphic Gate guardian of floor 4 was a pain as expected. I came prepared with a little knowledge though. Not as much as would have been helpful. I brought the Magic Squad of Emma, Elliot, Jusis, Alisa, with Rean and Laura as backup. I hosed up Alisa’s orbment setup, gearing her with +physical stuff for the dungeon and forgetting to give her ANY attack arts save for Golden Sphere. I also forgot to wear anti-confuse gear, so Emma, in the center of the formation spent at least half her time confused. I took the first prick down fairly quickly, but attrition meant that I was spending too many turns healing the confuse and failing to do damage. Emma died once, but I eventually managed to get the fight under control. Laura came in, did one Armor Break for 0 damage, then I swapped her back out immediately.

- I never use the warp points to return to the elevator - I need the sepith masses to buy equipment. I'm getting close to my goal of 25000 2,500 of them. EDIT: I accidentally left an extra zero on. I meant 2,500.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I never use the warp points to return to the elevator - I need the sepith masses to buy equipment. I'm getting close to my goal of 25000 of them.

This is overkill. You're reaching the point where your slots should mostly be open, so you can start turning your sepith into cash and you'll be getting big chunks of sepith masses from your monster hunts in the remaining chapters.

Also, you shouldn't need to totally kit out your entire team every field study.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Are the Prankster and Effort quartzes (70% chance for a Peculiar/Superb dish) something which applies to Rean only? And I assume you need to first have someone create those before anyone else can make them.

Some Numbers posted:

This is overkill. You're reaching the point where your slots should mostly be open, so you can start turning your sepith into cash and you'll be getting big chunks of sepith masses from your monster hunts in the remaining chapters.

Also, you shouldn't need to totally kit out your entire team every field study.

Says the guy who started out with 600,000+ mira. Just saying. EDIT: Whoops, I left an extra zero on there. I meant, 2500, not 25,000. That would definitely be overkill. I'm not quite that nuts yet.

I unlocked the last of the slots sometime after returning from the field study, so yeah I'm probably just about at the point of selling off a lot of Sepith. I have been making a few extra Quartz with the unneeded surplus to trade with Micht for better quartz, but I'll probably see if there is new quartz available on the field study.

I'm not totally outfitting my team. I get everyone a new weapon - because I saw in your LP how crappy damage is with out-of-date weapons. Sometimes if I have a decent amount left over a couple pieces of armor, but usually not. I'm also buying books and cooking ingredients (not 99 of each, only up to 25 at most), and maybe an accessory or two.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 31, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Says the guy who started out with 600,000+ mira. Just saying. EDIT: Whoops, I left an extra zero on there. I meant, 2500, not 25,000. That would definitely be overkill. I'm not quite that nuts yet.
Yeah, I started with 300,000 mira and a shitton of sepith and that is very definitely overkill.

I have a lot less money on my PC playthrough, so things are going to be a lot tighter going forward.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Are the Prankster and Effort quartzes (70% chance for a Peculiar/Superb dish) something which applies to Rean only? And I assume you need to first have someone create those before anyone else can make them.

I think the way they work is they do all the calculations first (characters involved in the cooking + random factor) and then apply a 70% multiplier to change the result at the very end, regardless of whether it was created before or not.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So, replacing the music in the Trails in the Sky games was easy enough since the files were just .oggs and you could insert loop points into them, but can you do the same with the .wavs that Trails of Cold Steel uses? Since TitS FC I've liked replacing the battle themes with some of the more punchier arranged versions, but as far as I can tell it's not as simple to get ToCS's .wav files to loop like .oggs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Finished Chapter 4, also known as Reveal Your Childhood Weekend Machias did get better. Also I have a really bad/sorry feeling about Elliot considering what he wants.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Finished Chapter 4, also known as Reveal Your Childhood Weekend Machias did get better. Also I have a really bad/sorry feeling about Elliot considering what he wants.

Post your reaction to Elliot's dad when you get there.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Last Celebration posted:

Post your reaction to Elliot's dad when you get there.

THE MUSCULAR EMBRACE OF OLAF CRAIG, GENERAL OF THE 4TH ARMORED DIVISION AND PROUD AND LOVING FATHER, WHO IS EVER OPTIMISTIC ABOUT HIS SON'S PROSPECTS FOR THE FUTURE

Please tell me he has to answer to Fiona at some point. :3:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

THE MUSCULAR EMBRACE OF OLAF CRAIG, GENERAL OF THE 4TH ARMORED DIVISION AND PROUD AND LOVING FATHER, WHO IS EVER OPTIMISTIC ABOUT HIS SON'S PROSPECTS FOR THE FUTURE

Please tell me he has to answer to Fiona at some point. :3:

I'm not gonna say no...

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is there any way to force this best pc port of all time to display fullscreen on a 16:10 monitor? Is there a keyboard shortcut somewhere?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terminally Bored posted:

Is there any way to force this best pc port of all time to display fullscreen on a 16:10 monitor? Is there a keyboard shortcut somewhere?

nope

considering how much work went into the graphical end of the game i'm going to assume something about the engine just makes it literally impossible, like how they still couldn't fix non-xinput controllers having weird issues with diagonal movement

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 16, 2017

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Just fought s and v, how much game do I have left?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

poe meater posted:

Just fought s and v, how much game do I have left?

Did you mean C and V? If you just fought those two, you've got one more chapter after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moldy Sausage
Oct 5, 2004
Where am I going?
I'm getting close to finishing ToCS1 on PC and am enjoying it much more than I thought I would, so much so that I'm considering getting ToCS2 now while I actually have time to play it instead of getting it on pc when it comes out. I just had a couple questions about the PS3 version and importing saves and google wasn't very helpful

I know clear data from the first game gives some quartz/septium and changes some dialogue but how big of a change is this? Just a couple sentences or more noticeable?

Is there a way to transfer a ToCS1 save from the pc version to the PS3 or download someone else's PS3 save?

Will any QoL things I'm used to be missing from the PS3 version, besides turbo mode and graphics?

Thanks for the help

• Locked thread