Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Mizar
Jul 28, 2005
Ugh

Filthy Monkey posted:

I 6L'ed a nice shavs, and want to use it for something. Maybe low life essence drain. Occultist or Trickster better for that now? Trickster gets the charges, but I am not sure how I would maintain them on bosses. Occultist seems like a stronger match with going high ES.

Oh hey this is from a few pages ago, but I've actually tried out both Occultist and Trickster with LL ED this league. Personally I like the Occultist better it feels because it feels a bit more durable and I'm a huge sucker for the noise that Profane Bloom makes. Overall mapping speed is better on Trickster, but I really prefer the Occultist on bosses. Most of the trickster survivability is based on killing lots of things to keep your ES up, but the Occultists has a much faster regen start time and once it starts it keeps going through incidental damage.

Here are my guys for reference (facemelter and madeofglass): https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/varnish/characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
attn summoners: fire golems own

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dollas posted:

attn summoners: fire golems own

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Sword I made yesterday:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So my super expensive build this league has been Ele Wander, which is completely off-meta and has never been done before"

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/interrodactyl/characters?charactername=pleasebuffwanders

I still have ~1400C to spend, and plan to take the character to 93-ish. Mapping is fine; I get to hear a ton of shatter sounds and see Vaal Power Siphon lag my entire screen for 20 years. Wise Oak is always up so resists aren't an issue. So, some questions on what's left to upgrade.

Passives:
- I will respec from Heart of Oak; I can grab 8% life + 16% evasion from the Revenge of the Hunted Cluster, and I believe it's more movespeed anyway with QoTF
- Finish the wand crit / multi cluster
- Ideally I'd like to add another jewel slot, but I'd go out to the Golem's Blood cluster if I wanted to do that, and 15% life is hard to pass up. I do have the money for an expensive jewel, though.

Gems:
- Now that I'm running Ice Bite on KB for frenzy generation, I'm thinking of replacing Blood Rage and Ice Golem to just run Empower 4 / Enlighten 4 on Wrath. Ice Golem dies too much and Blood Rage sucks to play with as VP.
- 21/20 everything.

Items:
- I have a much higher life / evasion shield I can swap in for T16/Shaper, but I still need a GG amulet. I assume the go to stats are some combo of: life, accuracy, lightning dmg, crit, multi, and % ele?
- I could buy GG opal rings, but it never seems worth the additional cost (and I don't want to re-fix my resists).
- Is Wise Oak the best flask for bossing? I was thinking about replacing it but the penetration makes a huge difference.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zephro posted:

Would I need to buy all four skellymage jewels at once for the build to work, or can you get away with two or three for a while? I'm poor but keen to try the build

You need two Dead Reckonings and one From Dust. Reckonings are 10c a pop roughly (SC), From Dust is 1a.

To Dust jewels aren't worth it. 12% minion damage and 10% cast speed isn't worth the cost, and that's max rolls. Better to get a minion damage jewel with some other stats you actually want.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vasudus posted:

I passed on the Victario shield because my mages one or two shot everything including T16 trash, are resummoned frequently and most bosses don't have the adds to keep charges rolling.

I'm pushing 88 on my skellymages necro with Minotaur down so I guess I better get working on that effortpost.

how much trouble did Minotaur give you? Any rippy mods? Take a long time? Any hopes on Shaper?

Looking forward to the effortpost.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Can anybody with experience playing a ele wanderfinder point me in the direction of a good build guide or give me some general tips? The build guide I'm looking at right now is https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1906135/page/1 but since I know nothing about playing a wander, was wondering if there was a better one.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

how much trouble did Minotaur give you? Any rippy mods? Take a long time? Any hopes on Shaper?

Looking forward to the effortpost.

Minotaur wasn't too horrible, though it does require some positioning fuckery and hoping your mages don't go all SQURREL on you and shoot at golems when they're spawned in. It had boss health and eweakness, but I was still capped on lightning.

It took about as long as any other build that is not dedicated to boss dunking. I wouldn't use it for farming guardians but it does the job. I had attempted Hydra with some stupid 8-mod madness including vuln and added fire, and out of ignorance I had forgotten that Hydra's Slivertongue shot would fork right into my face. That's more hubris than a build problem.

Atziri isn't likely doable due to the reflect clone. Vaal and trio were a breeze, but that goddamn reflect clone is a problem. I've got a positioning idea I still want to try before I write it off entirely. Uber Atziri is likely impossible though.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I don't think running a huge number of aura's is going to be worth it for a skele-mage, only haste and anger really up your damage output, and you don't really need to worry about the skeletons survivability. The unique skelly sword also seems like kind of a poor idea, as the buffs it gives you aren't super strong, and using it for your 6link for your skels is impractical because of socket colors. You also don't need to be running a pierce gem. You can get more than enough pierce (as well as more projectile damage and knockback) from projectile weakness.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Minotaur wasn't too horrible, though it does require some positioning fuckery and hoping your mages don't go all SQURREL on you and shoot at golems when they're spawned in. It had boss health and eweakness, but I was still capped on lightning.

It took about as long as any other build that is not dedicated to boss dunking. I wouldn't use it for farming guardians but it does the job. I had attempted Hydra with some stupid 8-mod madness including vuln and added fire, and out of ignorance I had forgotten that Hydra's Slivertongue shot would fork right into my face. That's more hubris than a build problem.

Atziri isn't likely doable due to the reflect clone. Vaal and trio were a breeze, but that goddamn reflect clone is a problem. I've got a positioning idea I still want to try before I write it off entirely. Uber Atziri is likely impossible though.

As long as it gets the job done. I don't know why, but I find myself steering away from builds that cannot get strong enough to do complete T16+. Being locked out by mechanics like the reflect clone I can deal with, but for some reason builds that can't scale up just bother me. Even though I don't buy GG gear 99% of the time.

I'm weird, I guess.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I've been introduced to necromancers, though, I kind of like the gameplay feel of them, and want to try a couple more. Zombies, spectres and SRS are the three other basic kinds of summoning characters I could focus around besides skelemages, right? Are any of them particularly better for boss clowning?

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Mirror Arrow and Blink Arrow build is also a summoning build that works. It got buffed in 3.0 with the removal of the aspd cap on the clones, and some people killed shaper with them. I'm running it with traps and the new trap-centric body armour and it's really fun. You just summon lots of clones of yourself filling the map with a shitload of arrows.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Can anybody with experience playing a ele wanderfinder point me in the direction of a good build guide or give me some general tips? The build guide I'm looking at right now is https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1906135/page/1 but since I know nothing about playing a wander, was wondering if there was a better one.

I wouldn't use that. I assume his 1ex was at standard/legacy rates (~80-100c toward the end of the league), and it hasn't really been updated it looks like. It really depends on how much money you have to spend (see my post a few above yours for some decked out gear), and what your goals are. Wanders are pretty flexible because barrage and kinetic blast do so much damage from just added damage from gems and auras.

Wanders are also really meta right now so things are going to be pretty drat expensive. If you don't have currency, scion is much easier to start with (~200c will get you in decent shape), but pathfinder scales way better late because flasks are broken as poo poo. For reference, my character is wearing probably 35ex of gear and I could easily pour another 30ex in before it before it would be done. The cool thing is that you can definitely feel every upgrade you put into the character.

e: Note I do not actually recommend doing scion wander but if you're determined and you don't have poo poo for money you can use mathil's guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy2KsELejwc

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 28, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Control Volume posted:

Question for things that have multiple strikes per attack (specifically ice crash). Do effects that say "on hit" or "each enemy hit" trigger once or multiple times per attack?

hits trigger every time, the only thing that triggers once is the crit check

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Just got an exalted orb drop at lv46. How many chaos orbs is an exalted orb worth?

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Not much this league. About 40c or so last I checked.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

I wouldn't use that. I assume his 1ex was at standard/legacy rates (~80-100c toward the end of the league), and it hasn't really been updated it looks like. It really depends on how much money you have to spend (see my post a few above yours for some decked out gear), and what your goals are. Wanders are pretty flexible because barrage and kinetic blast do so much damage from just added damage from gems and auras.

Wanders are also really meta right now so things are going to be pretty drat expensive. If you don't have currency, scion is much easier to start with (~200c will get you in decent shape), but pathfinder scales way better late because flasks are broken as poo poo. For reference, my character is wearing probably 35ex of gear and I could easily pour another 30ex in before it before it would be done. The cool thing is that you can definitely feel every upgrade you put into the character.

e: Note I do not actually recommend doing scion wander but if you're determined and you don't have poo poo for money you can use mathil's guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy2KsELejwc

Thanks for the info. I've got a good amount of pathfinder gear and a few of the more expensive flasks already along with about 250c so I'd like to do a pathfinder build. I haven't been able to find any good guides for one, though. Any ideas?

I just started leveling a ranger using this wander leveling guide by Mathil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN74j6jE9V0 but he's a scion in it and he recommends using a volley fire jewel which i don't know where to put early on a ranger tree.

Phil Tenderpuss fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 28, 2017

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

If I am capable of tier 11-12 maps and want to supplement my drops with the Chaos Orb vendor recipe, do I need to I run lower tier maps to get (at least 1) ilvl 60-74 gear?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1764075/page/1

The guide I'm using for qotf pathfinder wander. gotta go fast zoom zoom

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Yas posted:

If I am capable of tier 11-12 maps and want to supplement my drops with the Chaos Orb vendor recipe, do I need to I run lower tier maps to get (at least 1) ilvl 60-74 gear?

If you're capable of maintaining a red map pool, then the chaos recipe is likely an inefficient use of your time.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Social Media posted:

Not much this league. About 40c or so last I checked.

poo poo. That's a fortune to me.
How do you go about trading an exalted orbs for chaos orbs? Just poe.trade like anything else?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Yeah, but specifically currency.poe.trade.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

whydirt posted:

If you're capable of maintaining a red map pool, then the chaos recipe is likely an inefficient use of your time.

I am. I suppose I just need to put more effort into selling the gear I'm finding. Thanks.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Thanks for the info. I've got a good amount of pathfinder gear and a few of the more expensive flasks already along with about 250c so I'd like to do a pathfinder build. I haven't been able to find any good guides for one, though. Any ideas?

I just started leveling a ranger using this wander leveling guide by Mathil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN74j6jE9V0 but he's a scion in it and he recommends using a volley fire jewel which i don't know where to put early on a ranger tree.

Holyshoot posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1764075/page/1

The guide I'm using for qotf pathfinder wander. gotta go fast zoom zoom

that guide is a good start but i'd also suggest looking into esh's mirror and a vaal power siphon setup for really fast clear. the guide is optimized for endgame boss killing with safety (good goals) but you can level much faster with a clearspeed setup, and you'll still melt t15 bosses because barrage is stupid.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Yas posted:

I am. I suppose I just need to put more effort into selling the gear I'm finding. Thanks.

Regal orbs are .75 chaos, so if you like running the recipe don't worry so much about the ilvl. Also you can get low level items from dailies.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

SpacePope posted:

Mirror Arrow and Blink Arrow build is also a summoning build that works. It got buffed in 3.0 with the removal of the aspd cap on the clones, and some people killed shaper with them. I'm running it with traps and the new trap-centric body armour and it's really fun. You just summon lots of clones of yourself filling the map with a shitload of arrows.

I'm not a fan of traps but the idea of a build based on those skills is incredible to me.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm not a fan of traps but the idea of a build based on those skills is incredible to me.

Yeah cluster trap makes you able to summon way more clones, and it fixes the cooldown issue. With double 5-link plus a 4-link essence crafted glove, traps work really well. With double 6 links I think simply summoning the clones is better though.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

that guide is a good start but i'd also suggest looking into esh's mirror and a vaal power siphon setup for really fast clear. the guide is optimized for endgame boss killing with safety (good goals) but you can level much faster with a clearspeed setup, and you'll still melt t15 bosses because barrage is stupid.

Can you elaborate on what you mean with esh's mirror and vaal power siphon?

I also just found this guide which is a general wander guide and looks very helpful: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1979794 Only thing is I question whether his assessment that raider is better than pathfinder is true. If he's right though thats interesting and scion looks like a viable candidate too.

Phil Tenderpuss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 29, 2017

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean with esh's mirror and vaal power siphon?

I also just found this guide which is a general wander guide and looks very helpful: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1979794 Only thing is I question whether his assessment that raider is better than pathfinder is true. If he's right though thats interesting and scion looks like a viable candidate too.

With esh's mirror, every mob you kill in the last 4 seconds adds lightning damage to your attacks, and with how fast a qotf wander clears, this can stack up to be huge numbers. You're also staking souls for a 4L Vaal Power Siphon, and with enough crit and chain, you can obliterate 3 screens worth of trash mobs, which adds more damage to esh's mirror and recharges VPS, which means you can run to the next pack and keep spamming VPS with good positioning. If you ever played vaal spark, it clears at that level of speed and makes headhunter/inspired learning more worth. Even if you don't go balls to the wall with it, it's still a nice clearspeed/DPS increase for very little investment. When you want to switch to boss killing just pop in orb of storms / power charge on crit / curse on hit / projectile weakness.

Raider might have higher peak DPS but that's under absolute ideal conditions. Realistically, Pathfinder will be a billion times smoother and will let you turn on the gas at will. It's not like you need the extra damage for KB or Barrage, so I don't see the benefit of going raider.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Raider is definitely not better than Pathfinder because Pathfinder gets +3 Barrage projectiles from Dying Sun while Raider only gets +2. Deadeye/Ascendant make up for it with the +1 projectile ascendancy but Raider has nothing to make up for it. Outside of the +1 projectile, comparing Raider vs Pathfinder:

Pathfinder (5 Frenzy Charges): 50% damage, 10% pen, 20% attack speed
Raider (6 Frenzy Charges): 58% damage, 32% attack speed, 3.33% more damage (going from 5 to 6 FCs is 1.20x -> 1.24x)

Raider is barely better, and that's without counting any bonuses you get from flasks or the general QoL of flask regen/duration.

E: Guy in that guide is probably an idiot and missed out that Pathfinder gets +1 Projectile from Dying Sun if you spend a jewel socket on the flask effectiveness jewel. But that doesn't explain why he thinks Raider is more damage than Deadeye because it absolutely is not.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 29, 2017

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I could see a version that takes every frenzy charge and like 100% life being better DPS wise but there's no way otherwise

As a wander you have plenty of damage to kill things from just wrath/hoi/added lightning/penetration. Everything is doable with a Piscator so you don't even need an insane wand. So it's really about how much defense you can stack comfortably without losing DPS. If you have play money after that then buy insane gear. The nice thing is that wander scaling means every expensive item you buy, you can feel the impact.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

This seems like it could be worth something I tried price checking using poe trade and failed.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
My guess is a few chaos.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Beo posted:

This seems like it could be worth something I tried price checking using poe trade and failed.

maybe 2c.

Bad base and no aspd

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Beo posted:

it's worthless, the crit affix is pretty decent but the rest is bad

you might be able to sell it for 1c but it will sit for a while before you do

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I finished the game last night, and really enjoyed the new content. I also like how they throw you straight into maps once you complete the final battle.

PoE is definitely my favorite ARPG of all time, and the devs are absolutely amazing.

That being said, I don't know what the dev team's obsession is with small arenas and bosses battles that make 2/3 of the area deadly. It makes for a lot of really unfun fights, and is the only thing I truly don't enjoy about the game. Maybe I'm just not great, but it feels to me like boss fights seem to be more about endurance than skill.

e: I found a Belly of the Beast recently, and just realised how much currency it is worth. It doesn't really fit with my essence drain build, so am wondering if it's worth selling it so i can purchase other gear, or if it's worth hanging onto for another character.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 29, 2017

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
With life being so strong, it's not a bad idea to hang onto it. But if you don't think you'll reroll sell it to fund your current character.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

I finished the game last night, and really enjoyed the new content. I also like how they throw you straight into maps once you complete the final battle.

PoE is definitely my favorite ARPG of all time, and the devs are absolutely amazing.

That being said, I don't know what the dev team's obsession is with small arenas and bosses battles that make 2/3 of the area deadly. It makes for a lot of really unfun fights, and is the only thing I truly don't enjoy about the game. Maybe I'm just not great, but it feels to me like boss fights seem to be more about endurance than skill.

e: I found a Belly of the Beast recently, and just realised how much currency it is worth. It doesn't really fit with my essence drain build, so am wondering if it's worth selling it so i can purchase other gear, or if it's worth hanging onto for another character.

sell. prices go down over a league in general unless an item is popularized by a streamer or something, so you can always rebuy a belly later, probably for a bit less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Question: Does the Assassin Toxic Delivery bit "Poisons do 30% more damage on Critical Strikes" affect spell crits or just attacks?