Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
I really don't think Naido can be Diane... otherwise he would've recognized her when he was in that outlet room in ep3 and she was making knife-swipey noises at him.

e: although the weird "oriental" aesthetic that Diane assumes seems to be something that's, something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
Also, to take the "Richard and Linda... two birds with one stone" line literally, Richard was killed on a stone... Maybe Linda will have something to do with the same stone? Whoever Linda is. Didn't Harry Dean Stanton mention a "Linda" in passing during his car ride with that dude who IRL beat up his girlfriend?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King Vidiot posted:

It's the coordinates of the Twin Peaks sheriff's office. That's what she said to Gordon, Albert and Tammy.

Did she? iirc she said "I'm in the sheriff's station" and that's all.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

astronautism posted:

Also, to take the "Richard and Linda... two birds with one stone" line literally, Richard was killed on a stone... Maybe Linda will have something to do with the same stone? Whoever Linda is. Didn't Harry Dean Stanton mention a "Linda" in passing during his car ride with that dude who IRL beat up his girlfriend?

She's the van dude's wife. Also known as the guy who beat his girlfriend with a baseball bat over koolaid

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

It's the coordinates of the Twin Peaks sheriff's office. That's what she said to Gordon, Albert and Tammy.

Diane was a lying jerk. Who cares what a lying jerk says?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was an insanely good episode, drat. All kinds of things paid off nicely and everything's set up for a great finale.

I think all the Bang Bang Bar scenes with live music and characters we never see elsewhere are set in Audrey's dreamworld. The storylines we see there often mirror events in the real world - for example this time the violent dispute at the end of Audrey's dance is similar to the fight James got into last episode (at the "real" Bang Bang Bar). The significance is that she's "the dreamer", and was used by Dark Cooper to create his tulpas (and possibly for other purposes). I also think we've seen an example of one of her creations escaping - that weird guy in police lockup has injuries that match what we've heard of Billy, and he repeats things in the same way Cooper/Dougie did after he shifted back into the real world.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I don't think Ray was a tulpa, but I also don't remember what happened to him after he got zapped to the waiting room. I was under the impression that he wooshed away because of the ring, not because of tulpaness

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Speaking of the fight in the bar at the end of this episode, did anyone else notice or think anything of the person(Monique?) saying "Ed?" (it wasn't subtitled) right before the bottle smash? Dude was wearing a canvas jacket and jeans and had a bit of the high and tight like Big Ed but the voice seemed way different.

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.

zelah posted:

I don't think Ray was a tulpa, but I also don't remember what happened to him after he got zapped to the waiting room. I was under the impression that he wooshed away because of the ring, not because of tulpaness

Ray wasn't a Tulpa. The ring brought his body to the Red Room.

Tulpa Diane appeared in the Red Room seemingly fine, unharmed, and completely aware, even though she's been shot several times. Then, just like Dougie, her head vanishes, seed floats out, and body shrivels.

Ray was a corpse before he hit the lodge floor and stayed that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why did Booper put the ring on Ray to send it back to the Lodge with his corpse? That seems like a really dumb decision when he could just... y'know, keep it. Just don't wear it around on your finger and don't plan on dying and you'll be fine, man. Him pointlessly sending it back to the Lodge is the reason Cooper now has a chance against him. :geno:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

drat, FINALLY!

That was the first episode for me that felt like the original series. And it only took 18 episodes..

Coop!!!

Go away forever Dougie

Mods please rename this joker TwoDougies1Cup

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

Why did Booper put the ring on Ray to send it back to the Lodge with his corpse? That seems like a really dumb decision when he could just... y'know, keep it. Just don't wear it around on your finger and don't plan on dying and you'll be fine, man. Him pointlessly sending it back to the Lodge is the reason Cooper now has a chance against him. :geno:

because anyone could shoot him down and put the ring on his finger in his last moments. getting the ring out of the waiting room again took a combination of serendipity and cooper's willingness to go to any lengths to end his doppleganger's wickedness, including finally shocking himself into coma-induced full awareness, something that would not even have been possible if the hillbilly assassins had done their job

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

zeal posted:

because anyone could shoot him down and put the ring on his finger in his last moments. getting the ring out of the waiting room again took a combination of serendipity and cooper's willingness to go to any lengths to end his doppleganger's wickedness, including finally shocking himself into coma-induced full awareness, something that would not even have been possible if the hillbilly assassins had done their job

He's the only living person besides Cooper himself that knows what it does.

edit: And granted, he's probably not actually aware of that and it was meant to be just another security plan among his five million pre-existing ones (that have all failed but we'll ignore that)... but unless whatever his plan is involves his death I don't see how it's safer to send the ring back to a place where it could be retrieved by anyone who wanted to take it and use it on him.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 29, 2017

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
It's funny, I kept wondering why Diane said "Let's Rock" like The Arm said that one time (and when Chris Isaak disappeared or whatever) and now I guess I got my answer.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

so all it would take is Mike or some other interested party spiritual party getting that information to one of the many people with a reason to end booper, instead of the extra shenanigans involved in cross-dimensional ring transport

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just don't agree that sending it away (even to another dimension) when he had it in his possession to do with whatever he wanted, was the right call. He should know better than anyone that the Lodge will find a way to get it into the right hands to restore balance.

Trousers!
Sep 28, 2001
"Ummm, I don't think sushi is Japanese. It was invented in California." - Villainy, in the 'Why are so many anime fans so goddamn fucking retarded.' thread.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

About that smile.
And right after she gets the smile text, she tells about the doppelganger's smile (almost certainly Bob's) when she was raped.
I think its a lot simpler than that.
Doesn't Mr C mention to Richard he is missing two of the coordinate numbers?

His text to Diane seems more like ":-) I didn't fall for your trap. ALL (send me all the numbers)"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CJacobs posted:

Andy probably, and possibly Gordon Cole

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

Andy probably, and possibly Gordon Cole

If Booper lays a single finger on my precious Andy I swear to god

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

why didnt they just manufacture an army of tulpas or w/e the gently caress they are to take down bad coop

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

dumbass spirits

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

I just don't agree that sending it away (even to another dimension) when he had it in his possession to do with whatever he wanted, was the right call. He should know better than anyone that the Lodge will find a way to get it into the right hands to restore balance.

the ring can't do anything for booper though. all it is is a threat to him, a way to put the kibosh on all his games in the material world. if gordon and albert, or hawk and the boys, roll up on him at some inopportune moment, and he's got it on him, all Mike et. al. have to do is make sure the already supernaturally attuned hunters know the ring's relevance to events. it was only the woodsmen's appearance that stopped Ray from putting an end to booper back when. if booper throws it in a safe and sinks it under the sea, or whatever, someone like the Major or the Fireman is capable of giving actual gps coordinates to the site. if booper could destroy or hide it permanently in the material world in any meaningful sense, it'd probably be in a box buried in the desert already, or tossed in a furnace, but those kinds of impediments don't seem to mean a ton to the likes of Mike. and it doesn't seem like booper has yet realized a way to take mike or his other spiritual enemies out of the equation permanently either, though that may be his ultimate purpose in returning to twin peaks. the best he can do is set his spiritual enemies back to square one in the process of pulling him back in, which he managed fairly adroitly by slipping it on to ray's cooling corpse. it took a chance viewing of an old movie, the right amount of chocolate cake, and the wherewithal to shock himself back to awareness (plus the assassins' loving with the wrong guy) for cooper to upset that play and get the ring back in action.

e:

Turdfuzz posted:

why didnt they just manufacture an army of tulpas or w/e the gently caress they are to take down bad coop

seeds made of gold don't come cheap. something something inter-lodge escalation probably, too

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 29, 2017

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i got ur seed right here!!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Diane is in the sherrif's station, she is not her. Who else in the sherrif's station has white hair?

That's right, Diane is trapped in the dispatcher and she's been listening to voices captured by electronics just like the good ol days.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think all the Bang Bang Bar scenes with live music and characters we never see elsewhere are set in Audrey's dreamworld. The storylines we see there often mirror events in the real world - for example this time the violent dispute at the end of Audrey's dance is similar to the fight James got into last episode (at the "real" Bang Bang Bar). The significance is that she's "the dreamer", and was used by Dark Cooper to create his tulpas (and possibly for other purposes). I also think we've seen an example of one of her creations escaping - that weird guy in police lockup has injuries that match what we've heard of Billy, and he repeats things in the same way Cooper/Dougie did after he shifted back into the real world.

Except we saw someone run to the Double R and ask if anyone had seen Billy, so he must have some previous existence.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Trousers! posted:

I think its a lot simpler than that.
Doesn't Mr C mention to Richard he is missing two of the coordinate numbers?

His text to Diane seems more like ":-) I didn't fall for your trap. ALL (send me all the numbers)"

Eh, maybe, but I don't think that's right. She gets that message twice, once before sending the coordinates and once after. If he was just after the digits then he wouldn't have sent the message again.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm very ready for a Julee Cruise Road House performance.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

el oso posted:

I'm very ready for a Julee Cruise Road House performance.

Same. I've been anticipating it harder than Coop's return.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Top 15 new characters this year:

15. Tammy
14. Rookie cop who wants Frank Truman to see his car
13. Freddie
12. Creepy woman outside of Jeffries' hotel room
11. Road House MC
10. Polish Accountant
9. Bill Hastings
8. FBI guy who yells at WILSON!!!
7. Gotta Light Woodsman
6. Candie
5. Janey-E
4. Chantal & Hutch
3. Diane
2. Super Mitchum Bros
1. Wally Brando

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So, we know that tulpa-Diane was deceptive and dishonest at times with Cole et al. What are we to make of her claim that Janey-E is her sister? Why would she reveal that if she was essentially in thrall to Booper?

I guess it makes sense that they're estranged since if they had kept in touch Janey-E would have picked up on Diane not being herself. But, assuming they are sisters, how and why did Booper arrange to get Dougie and Janey-E married? Why her?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

regulargonzalez posted:

So, we know that tulpa-Diane was deceptive and dishonest at times with Cole et al. What are we to make of her claim that Janey-E is her sister? Why would she reveal that if she was essentially in thrall to Booper?

I guess it makes sense that they're estranged since if they had kept in touch Janey-E would have picked up on Diane not being herself. But, assuming they are sisters, how and why did Booper arrange to get Dougie and Janey-E married? Why her?

Could be Janey-E and Sunny-Jim are tulpas too. Maybe the idea was to give Cooper his ideal family, just to take them away?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I assume DoppelCoop sent Ray back with the ring as a kind of "gently caress you" to MIKE - "see? Your plan was total poo poo. I'm not falling for it again."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's one thing I do hope they explain. Maybe he used Janey-E because she was someone Diane could keep tabs on and show up at her door if need be, but was still far removed from Diane's life and career at the FBI there was no way anyone would find Dougie/Coop lookalike with her.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I never for one second bought into the idea whenever someone points to a scene and says "That's Lynch trolling us," but the moment in the hospital where someone (I forgot who) said "sometimes comas can last for years," I laughed for about a minute straight. Would have been funny.

Interesting how they used CG bullet hits in the Duncan Todd scene but use squibs in the Chantal and Hutch scene.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

I never for one second bought into the idea whenever someone points to a scene and says "That's Lynch trolling us," but the moment in the hospital where someone (I forgot who) said "sometimes comas can last for years," I laughed for about a minute straight. Would have been funny.

Interesting how they used CG bullet hits in the Duncan Todd scene but use squibs in the Chantal and Hutch scene.
Someone mentioned the Todd scene might have been shot in actual persons office and not a set which seems pretty logical.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

caligulamprey posted:

Lynch knew it wouldn't have been Tarantino-ish enough if he used CG for that scene.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bad binoculars, bad bionoculars

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Sonny Jim was wearing a gold sweatshirt over a green shirt. Looked like the ring.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I want Lynch to make a zany heist shoot em up movie next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kyle McLachlan is so good in this, I'd completely consciously forgotten that it's the same actor for good and bad Cooper. I mean obviously I know that, but at the beginning of this episode I found myself thinking "I hope Dougie and Booper meet this time" before I realised that would require all kinds of awkward double exposure tricks because it's the same dude.