Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

why.

this sounds revolting in every possible way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomPauI posted:

Is it possible to make a good tasting savory cereal?

Grits

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

i cant disagree with whitey on this

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Grits are disgusting. Fight me. :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Zipperelli. posted:

no.

food is dumb to fight about.

sorry bout your tastebuds friend.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

scrapple is sort of a cereal loaf, right?

it's also AFP in appearance

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

Don't make me break my foot off in your rear end. :colbert:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Lutha Mahtin posted:

scrapple is sort of a cereal loaf, right?

it's also AFP in appearance

Scrapple is leftover pork meat, lard, flour and spices. One of god's own creations if done right. I live in Amish country and drat if the local butchers don't make a mean scrapple.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zipperelli. posted:

Regarding that whole medium rare chicken thing, it's actually real. As long as it's cooked to 165°F, you're safe. Apparently, right at 165°F, there is still a SMALL strip of pink on the inside, but it would still be safe to eat.

:science:

165 is just the easiest to use, but the temperature can be lower if you can hold the food there long enough. Sous vide science research shows me that the lowest general food temperature is 130 F (I use 129 for good steaks because I'm a madman) which you could totally cook chicken at if you want to, but it has to hit that and stay there for a couple of hours, and it'll be all chewy and slimy and gross.

The "food safe temperature" thing is based on a 1 in 10 million survival rate for bacteria. I.e.: if you killed off 99.9999% of them, it's considered safe.

At 130 it takes a couple of hours, at 165 you hit that kill rate in under a second. :black101:

http://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magazine-archive1/februarymarch-2004/the-danger-zone-reevaluated/

According to this you could go as low as 125 for six hours if you really wanted to, but eeeeeeeugh.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I sous vided a piece of chicken at 140f the other day, because I was also cooking pork and 140 is the perfect temp for pork.

Unfortunately, Chicken only cooks to medium-rare at 140f. There's no pink, it's all completely white. It looks >amazing<. It also still partially has the texture of raw chicken. I nearly threw up when it hit my teeth. The difference between 140 and 145 in chicken is staggering.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Scrapple is leftover pork meat, lard, flour and spices. One of god's own creations if done right. I live in Amish country and drat if the local butchers don't make a mean scrapple.

it isn't just flour, corn meal is often used too. the mention of grits made me think of how scrapple has grain in it

it also reminds me of another dish my family makes that we call cornmeal "mush". it's basically cornmeal with just enough water added so that it reaches the semi-solid loaf consistency of scrapple (or, ya know, polenta). then we cook it like scrapple, cutting off a slice of the loaf and frying it on a griddle. this is served beside white beans that have been cooked with bacon ("beans & bacon"). and if you want a lil something on your mush, pour a bit of Karo syrup on there. yes, my family used to be dust bowl farmers, how could you tell??

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

iRend posted:

I sous vided a piece of chicken at 140f the other day, because I was also cooking pork and 140 is the perfect temp for pork.

Unfortunately, Chicken only cooks to medium-rare at 140f. There's no pink, it's all completely white. It looks >amazing<. It also still partially has the texture of raw chicken. I nearly threw up when it hit my teeth. The difference between 140 and 145 in chicken is staggering.

This. Most of us humans have a visceral reaction to chicken that has raw texture even if it is safely cooked.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I hate just touching raw poultry.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I recently discovered and became a fan of goetta, a related product pretty much only known in and slightly around Cincinnati: ground pork, possibly some pork sausage, onion, maaaybe a little sage, and steel-cut oats, formed into a loaf, sliced up, and fried. I regret only buying one package while I was down there, and am already calculating when I can justify another ten-hour round-trip drive for more.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah, that sounds similar to scrapple. try looking for scrapple in grocery stores, there is at least one company that makes a frozen scrapple that i can sometimes find here in Minnesota

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The cornmeal puts me off. :( I'll look for a recipe or have the stuff shipped, I suppose.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

if you're allergic to corn, sure. if not, you can't taste it, and it has its own unique texture. maybe some brands don't even use corn, i just remember it from when i used to help my grandparents make it :)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Is it possible to make a good tasting savory cereal?

I have done some interesting things with oatmeal and ham bouillon and various seasonings. When I was poor (Well, I am ALWAYS poor, but when the groceries are low) and all I had in the cabinet was oatmeal...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

I got your six, gritshate bro.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it isn't just flour, corn meal is often used too. the mention of grits made me think of how scrapple has grain in it

it also reminds me of another dish my family makes that we call cornmeal "mush". it's basically cornmeal with just enough water added so that it reaches the semi-solid loaf consistency of scrapple (or, ya know, polenta). then we cook it like scrapple, cutting off a slice of the loaf and frying it on a griddle. this is served beside white beans that have been cooked with bacon ("beans & bacon"). and if you want a lil something on your mush, pour a bit of Karo syrup on there. yes, my family used to be dust bowl farmers, how could you tell??

Mush is the poo poo. I put regular syrup on it.

It's one of those foods that's better than it should be.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lol bull loving poo poo I've lived in or around amish country for most of my life and amish/mennonite scrapple is almost entirely flavorless. Amish savory food is trash, amish sweets are amazing. People make fun of Midwestern food but that might as well be from the French Laundry compared to what amish people eat for dinner

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Scrapple can be good but not if it's made by the Amish or Mennonite communities. I had Hogs Maw made by a Mennonite restaurant and then one made by an Italian dude in Philly and jesus the Italian verson was insanely more flavorful. Don't buy savory food from the plain folk. Do buy absolutely everything they make that's sweet though

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

lol bull loving poo poo I've lived in or around amish country for most of my life and amish/mennonite scrapple is almost entirely flavorless. Amish savory food is trash, amish sweets are amazing. People make fun of Midwestern food but that might as well be from the French Laundry compared to what amish people eat for dinner

I used to drive thirty minutes one way just to get Amish baked rhubarb pie. :flashfap:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually Dutch country pot pie is really good and I like it better than normal chicken pot pie but it's one of the rare exceptions that proves the rule. It's not really a pie though

https://www.voxcreative.com/sponsored/10756514/searching-for-the-birthplace-of-chicken-pot-pie-in-lancaster

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can eat raw/undercooked ostrich, I don't know why you would but you can do it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

angerbeet posted:

You can eat raw/undercooked ostrich, I don't know why you would but you can do it.

It'd take at least 2 guys to do it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

el dingo posted:

Is it actually safe to have rare chicken if you know everything about the bird? Like you raised it yourself, called it Dave and made sure it ate only the finest corn/worms/whatever, kept it healthy and all that jazz would it be OK to undercook it?

Yes it is, there are places in Japan that specialize in it and chicken sashimi. Chicken isn't actually a radioactive deathtrap it's just the most likely of any of the common commercial meats to have nasty bacteria on it. It's still not at all common.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

bunnyofdoom posted:

It'd take at least 2 guys to do it

:canada:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

To be faie, I'm just glad someone got the reference

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sometimes I put butter on my oatmeal or Red River cereal.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
All this scrapple talk is making me reeeal homesick, assholes. :(

My sister visited a few weeks ago and brought a couple boxes of Butterscotch Krimpets. We can get them in LA, and also they're really terrible in the grand scheme of things, but it's still special somehow. :circlefap:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

bunnyofdoom posted:

To be faie, I'm just glad someone got the reference

The second episode of S1 of Letterkenny remains one of the greatest pieces of television I have ever seen

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

iRend posted:

Yeah just because you can doesn't mean it turns out good. 150f for a bit too long seems to be my magic number for chicken (seriously like six hours and a pan sear, it's incredible), but I love the science/math kind of poo poo you can apply to all of it.

Low temp chicken is usable, but not at all good.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Savory oatmeal is a big thing right now (in the coastal US, at least). I had a really good oatmeal with bacon, cheddar, spinach, and a poached egg on top at a restaurant about a year ago, then saw some savory oatmeal bowls in the frozen meals section of some grocery store and bought a bunch of them, but they disappeared from that grocery, at least, soon after. Edited to add: these! and it turns out they have them at Wegmans!

I am of course too drat lazy to make my own, but there are tons and tons of recipes out there.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Aug 29, 2017

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Hirayuki posted:

I recently discovered and became a fan of goetta, a related product pretty much only known in and slightly around Cincinnati: ground pork, possibly some pork sausage, onion, maaaybe a little sage, and steel-cut oats, formed into a loaf, sliced up, and fried. I regret only buying one package while I was down there, and am already calculating when I can justify another ten-hour round-trip drive for more.

There's a Chinese place in Hyde Park that makes goetta fried rice.

It's amazing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Does congee count as a savory cereal?

e: congee is loving rad

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Aug 29, 2017

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Dewgy posted:

Yeah just because you can doesn't mean it turns out good. 150f for a bit too long seems to be my magic number for chicken (seriously like six hours and a pan sear, it's incredible), but I love the science/math kind of poo poo you can apply to all of it.

Low temp chicken is usable, but not at all good.

I usually do my chicken at 140. I've never done it for more than a few hours though.

Doesn't it get mushy after 6 hours at 150? I cooked a steak for 6 hours at 132 and it was on the border of being too soft.

e: while at the same time being the most amazing piece of meat i've cooked yet.

I got distracted and seared one side for 30 seconds too long :(

iRend has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Aug 29, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
All you grits-haters can kiss mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love the cereal video so much.