Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWDFCSM87JI&t=3031s

Did Chris ask him to take the railgun off because he realized it was spazzing out and "saving new loadout" respawns the player on the physics grid?
LOL that framerate.

I think they hit single digits at some points.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Where do these guys get their info? Did CR say anything about 2 million objects?

Besides that, "It's not obvious unless one is aware of it" is my favorite new phrase.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 29, 2017

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

trucutru posted:

Where do these guys get their info? Did CR say anything about 2 million objects?

Besides that, "It's not obvious unless one is aware of it" is my favorite new phrase.

Followed by buzzwords. What do you think they meant by object container streaming? Could it be some vague networking thing, or the invisible quest box. Who knows! Buzzword.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've got an uninitiated person to expose to hilarity. Got the :pgabz: channel lined up, but

Could somebody toss a link to 'Chris Robers plays star citizen' (I almost remember the url by heart)

And that new video with commando happily relieving his nipple jets in vacuum. Not the gif.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Imagine hating someone so much you can't spend a day not talking about them, wishing they would go away so deeply you spend every waking moment trying to agitate a response from them. At what point did hate become infatuation with this guy, and is he aware of love beginning to grip his heart?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SelenicMartian posted:

I've got an uninitiated person to expose to hilarity. Got the :pgabz: channel lined up, but

Could somebody toss a link to 'Chris Robers plays star citizen' (I almost remember the url by heart)

And that new video with commando happily relieving his nipple jets in vacuum. Not the gif.

I'll steal Jobbo's goon valor on this one. Here's thumb plays his own game.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Starting to talk about the game *as such*
More 'toned down'
More friendly

Fitter

Happier

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Drunk Theory posted:

I'll steal Jobbo's goon valor on this one. Here's thumb plays his own game.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM
2 years and their chat is still poo poo.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

trucutru posted:

I have tagged Lethality with "IT'S LETHALITY" because arguing with him is kind of the same as having a go at fishmech

:fishmech:

The way to fight bullshit is with even more, better bullshit.

Like full on confusing mystery bullshit

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, last screenshot shitpost today, I promise. Because, :lol:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

trucutru posted:

Ok, last screenshot shitpost today, I promise. Because, :lol:

This is the beginning of a new phase of seeing the reality of the production.

Even more bugs for citizencum

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Remember the enourmous powerpoint last year, where the whole dev roadmap up to 4.2 or something was detailed?

Face over IP was nowhere to be seen there. So much for "this isn't scope creep". Allthough I guess they already worked at implementing it back then, it is a clear indicator that IF they whip out some dev roadmaps, it simply contains exactly what shitizens want to hear/see to rest assured everything is fine and their investment is safe.

I mean, it didn't even mention snoopy caps!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Zzr posted:

Free food and drink served by Chris in person ? Hell yeah fans would like it.

Jesus Christ!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

tuo posted:

Remember the enourmous powerpoint last year, where the whole dev roadmap up to 4.2 or something was detailed?

Face over IP was nowhere to be seen there. So much for "this isn't scope creep". Allthough I guess they already worked at implementing it back then, it is a clear indicator that IF they whip out some dev roadmaps, it simply contains exactly what shitizens want to hear/see to rest assured everything is fine and their investment is safe.

I mean, it didn't even mention snoopy caps!

That was roadmap 1.0 though which applied only for Citcon 2016.
Clearly they have an internal roadmap that they are not publishing because of all the trolls and negativity.

We know there is a new roadmap because new 3.0 is nowhere near old 3.0 ehrm *ahem* , which is to say new 3.0 is bigger and so much better.

And this is pre-alpha so anything goes really if you know anything about game development. Which you don't.

So, try to focus on the stuff that would make you put more money into the game.
Otherwise, just forget about the project and check back when it's done!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Star Citizen needs your help commandos. 1 JPEG = 1 prayer.

ahmini
May 5, 2009
After an SQ42 demo failed to materialise at Citizencon last year there was a lot of open dissent in the shitizen ranks in the hours immediately afterwards, with many openly questioning the project for the first time. However, within days of the event, and some extreme shilling from the high priests, most of the former dissenters had relapsed into stuff that could be basically summarised as, "I was a fool to doubt my Lord and Master, Chris Roberts. I now see that it is my fault for demonstrating a lack of faith in the glorious project that is Star Citizen. I will wear a goatskin shirt and self-flagellate for days as punishment and resolve never again to doubt the CRobbler-God."

Expect to see similar coping mechanisms for the train-wreck that was the Gamescom presentation.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Citizencon next. If they had jack poo poo to show at Gamescom they are really going to be scraping the barrel now.

Seriously, its a pretty short road until they will be selling handjobs from Mark Hamill.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Gravity_Storm posted:

Citizencon next. If they had jack poo poo to show at Gamescom they are really going to be scraping the barrel now.

Seriously, its a pretty short road until they will be selling handjobs from Mark Hamill Robert Space in a Hamill mask.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

direct link

You never go full citizen.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gravity_Storm posted:

Seriously, its a pretty short road until they will be selling handjobs from Mark Hamill.

One hour of building the spectrum, followed by Gary Oldman V2.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Gravity_Storm posted:

Citizencon will be Squadron 42, for sure. When beeing asked about Sq42, CRobberts always said "no, not at Gamescom, no", so I am 100% sure Citizencon will be Sq42. It would make sense, because it would shift attention away from the half-year-overdue 3.0, and maybe they can even sell some Sq42-stuff. Plus they can ride at the back of the upcoming Star Wars VIII hype surrounding Hamil.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I have this feeling that there needs to come a moment when the tide turns. One lovely buggy pre-alpha presentation too many or something. Another barebones demo in a row of barebones demos that shows no actual gameplay mechanics - falling apart before everybody's eyes 2 years after the promised release date of a finished product. I know that whales won't budge anyway and that's expected but I honestly don't think that CIG can stretch this out forever. Even DNF lost most of its fanbase after a few years of waiting too many.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Was messing around in ED, and looking at the Python and came across some concept art that seems fairly similar to the 600i.

Hobold fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 29, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ahmini posted:

After an SQ42 demo failed to materialise at Citizencon last year there was a lot of open dissent in the shitizen ranks in the hours immediately afterwards, with many openly questioning the project for the first time. However, within days of the event, and some extreme shilling from the high priests, most of the former dissenters had relapsed into stuff that could be basically summarised as, "I was a fool to doubt my Lord and Master, Chris Roberts. I now see that it is my fault for demonstrating a lack of faith in the glorious project that is Star Citizen. I will wear a goatskin shirt and self-flagellate for days as punishment and resolve never again to doubt the CRobbler-God."

Expect to see similar coping mechanisms for the train-wreck that was the Gamescom presentation.

With time the dissent after any sort of catastrophic display of ineptitude during a convention is only gonna go down. Reason is that only the dumbest of the dumb fucks will stay to take it.

Since this time less people gave a poo poo about the whole thing (the discussion post in r/games during the big presentation had a whole 36 replies) the push-back from the shills is gonna be milder. Besides, this time they truly have nothing new to shill about, FOIP is the least interesting thing ever. As for the diabetic prophylactic audio: nobody in r/starcitizen pointed (or noticed) that the audio channels were hosed up.

Palpek posted:

I have this feeling that there needs to come a moment when the tide turns. One lovely buggy pre-alpha presentation too many or something. Another barebones demo in a row of barebones demos that shows no actual gameplay mechanics - falling apart before everybody's eyes 2 years after the promised release date of a finished product. I know that whales won't budge anyway and that's expected but I honestly don't think that CIG can stretch this out forever. Even DNF lost most of its fanbase after a few years of waiting too many.

Doubt it, reasonable people just leave and ask for their refund if they have like 100+ invested. So the ones that will be left in the end are the trolls and the cultists (the shills will be gone) so the tide won't turn, just get smaller and smaller.

Only way for it to truly turn is them being suddenly unable to handle refunds without any MVP in sight, then poo poo is gonna hit the fan.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 29, 2017

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Hobold posted:

Was messing around in ED, and looking at the Python and came across some concept art that seems fairly similar to the 600i.

Can't belive ED stole that design from SC.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Hobold posted:

no_recall posted:

Being honest..

Looks like the most original spaceship CIG has designed so far.
It's Ben's cross, only fat.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Reddit has regressed into full ~dreams~, the GC presentation has been put in to a memory hole, they're back to discussing naval warfare and ground combat ignoring that their only glimpse of them looked lovely and nothing like their fantasies.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So in a parallel universe where Star Citizen was actually functional, I'd be able to load up a ship with clan members in space suits, disable the engines of an enemy capital ship, and have my mates fall out the airlock and board the enemy ship, shoot the crew, and take it by force?

Because that sounds like a loving nightmare to code, much less bounce between server and players. If you have ships warping in and out of a sector, you're essentially loading and/or deleting portions of the level geometry the player characters can occupy in their instance.

In my hypothetical situation, say the captain of the enemy ship initiates an emergency warp with some of my boarding party on the ship. All of these players now have to be teleported to an instance with the level geometry of just the ship they're on, and when they come out of warp, load in the rest of the instance and whatever else ships are in their sector, if they're supposed to be able to seamlessly go anywhere without boundaries. All the while, the server farm is supposed to keep track of all of this and a complex physics minefield of variables.

I could be getting this totally wrong, but it seems loving impossible.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Star Citizen is the Donald Trump of Gaming.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Star Citizen is the Donald Trump of Gaming.

Trump actually accomplished something

it's the Ron Paul of gaming

catte tax: textured rock

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Taintrunner posted:

So in a parallel universe where Star Citizen was actually functional, I'd be able to load up a ship with clan members in space suits, disable the engines of an enemy capital ship, and have my mates fall out the airlock and board the enemy ship, shoot the crew, and take it by force?

Because that sounds like a loving nightmare to code, much less bounce between server and players. If you have ships warping in and out of a sector, you're essentially loading and/or deleting portions of the level geometry the player characters can occupy in their instance.

In my hypothetical situation, say the captain of the enemy ship initiates an emergency warp with some of my boarding party on the ship. All of these players now have to be teleported to an instance with the level geometry of just the ship they're on, and when they come out of warp, load in the rest of the instance and whatever else ships are in their sector, if they're supposed to be able to seamlessly go anywhere without boundaries. All the while, the server farm is supposed to keep track of all of this and a complex physics minefield of variables.

Well they did take 150 million bucks to do it, so they had better make it possible.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Taintrunner posted:

The promised functionality of the game is completely impossible. Roberts is only really experienced in directing games, not solving actual coding problems and in the past he was always controled by publishers in what's actually doable within even big budget constraints. What happened to SC is roberts having nobody above him that would tell him that the poo poo he's promising is not possible.

As a comparison - imagine some big movie production like LotR - you can do a lot of stuff with a big budget movie like that but you still can't do everything you want - you don't have unlimited funds or ulimited time. What Roberts is doing with SC is as if he was shooting LotR and saying that he will shoot the big battles using 10.000 real extras for realism's sake instead of using CG, that they'll all be dressed up in detailed quality costumes the same that the main actors wear in close-ups and that they'll wield actual weapons forged specifically for this occasion. It's a complete overkill impossible to implement on any reasonable money and time constraints. And he just keeps promising more, answering yes to every request and adding poo poo that nobody asked for that complicates the entire project exponentially.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

tuo posted:

Citizencon will be Squadron 42, for sure. When beeing asked about Sq42, CRobberts always said "no, not at Gamescom, no", so I am 100% sure Citizencon will be Sq42. It would make sense, because it would shift attention away from the half-year-overdue 3.0, and maybe they can even sell some Sq42-stuff. Plus they can ride at the back of the upcoming Star Wars VIII hype surrounding Hamil.
I can't even imagine what they could show for Squadron 42 at Citizencon; that interview Chris gave during Gamescom really made it sound like they didn't have anything working for it. The mocap's all hosed and is taking them even longer than anyone thought it would to correct, there's no AI, and they've only blocked out what they want the missions to be so far with none of them actually implemented yet. I mean, maybe he was coming down off something and feeling really depressed, but considering that his default position is to say everything's going great and there's nothing to worry about and it'll all be done "soon," he really did go out of his way to let the interviewer know that they shouldn't expect to be seeing Squadron 42 for quite some time.

So at Citizencon, the only thing they could show would have to be a cinematic trailer full of the absolute purest bullshit -- maybe take one scene from his massive script and rush to hammer the animations into shape, slap some background music in, play Hollywood director with it using some camera moves and set dressing cribbed from whatever he saw most recently, and pretend it's "a glimpse" of what they've got ready for 2018 2019 "very soon." Which, yeah, that'd totally be in character for Chris to do (the man loves to imagine he's still able to work in the movie industry!), but for gently caress's sake, why even bother when they can keep not showing anything for at least another year and know for a fact that the backers aren't going to give a poo poo?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FTL managed to code enemy ships warping away with your boarding crew still on board so I'm sure Croberts can figure it out. I would love to see the forums dedicated to whales whining about getting ganked if any of this were to actually work at all.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Palpek posted:

I think the tide will turn, but not for everyone. Some people say that SC, as it is, already has more content than most games. Some people are truly hopeless.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Star Citizen is a real shame. If they'd kept themselves to just "an MMO where you can fly spaceships, drive space cars, and also get out and run around and shoot guys" they might actually have released something worthwhile. Instead it's a thousand gimmicks that barely work, a bizarre allergy to the normal shortcuts every other game designer uses, and it's all built on sand (AKA CryEngine).

On the plus side, Gary Oldman got paid, and I'm always in favour of that.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I can't get over the fact there're idiots out there who're proud of being gamers and protective of their identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also lol at anyone expecting anything more than another road to citcon