Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BMan posted:

Just the move controllers I think. Probably nobody has cared about this since Oculus Touch came out.
There's software for the headset also, its compatible with SteamVR, idk if its any good or not though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I don't really understand people who seem eager for VR to fail. Wasn't this always the thing video games were supposed to be striving for? Tons of ads in the last 30+ years have claimed "it's like you're IN THE GAME", which was laughable then, but now that it's actually true it's gimmicky bullshit? Sure, there are some things that need improvement, like locomotion systems and nausea, system requirements, and overall affordability, but new tech is always finnicky in the first gen, why do some seem to expect perfection?

That said, I hope some secret headway is being made on foveated rendering, because dropping the system requirements would be a huge boost.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Declaring VR dead before Valve even released their VR games seems premature to me, but what do I know.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BMan posted:

Declaring VR dead before Valve even released their VR games seems premature to me, but what do I know.
I mean let's be totally realistic here, the Valve game isn't gonna come out until the next gen of VR if it does at all. I definitely believe Knuckles will be my friend and come out soon though

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
VR is definitely real and here, but the current offerings feel a bit more like early access.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I don't really understand people who seem eager for VR to fail. Wasn't this always the thing video games were supposed to be striving for? Tons of ads in the last 30+ years have claimed "it's like you're IN THE GAME", which was laughable then, but now that it's actually true it's gimmicky bullshit? Sure, there are some things that need improvement, like locomotion systems and nausea, system requirements, and overall affordability, but new tech is always finnicky in the first gen, why do some seem to expect perfection?

That said, I hope some secret headway is being made on foveated rendering, because dropping the system requirements would be a huge boost.

There is a natural desire to see others fail. It is enjoyable to look down upon them and lecture them for something they "should have seen coming."

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I tried Doom 3 VR today; it's either not working like I thought it would or something's wrong with my config. The movement controls move the protagonist forward into the play area, out of the player's first-person view, and IIRC head movements snap the camera back, while the turning control only turns the view in steps rather than smoothly. It's not playable in that state. :shrug:

Then I tried Alien Isolation; it works better, but it's still clearly not as good as a native VR title. The text is hard to read, aiming is difficult if not impossible (not that you're really supposed to be shooting everything) and interacting with objects (computers, etc.) puts them right in your face so you have to lean back. Other than that, it works and is at least as spooky as playing the game traditionally. You can hide in a locker and then move your head around to peek out the vents like IRL! Turning using the controls without using your head is a little disorienting, although to be fair that's more realism than a bug. I only played a little bit, continuing off my save, and probably won't try playing it in VR again until it's much more improved, but it's nice to know that it's at least possible to retrofit older games to mostly work in VR.

This is my first experience of the contrast between native and non-native VR games, and the difference is pretty obvious. I've got to re-think how I expect to use the Rift.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Atomizer posted:

I tried Doom 3 VR today; it's either not working like I thought it would or something's wrong with my config. The movement controls move the protagonist forward into the play area, out of the player's first-person view, and IIRC head movements snap the camera back, while the turning control only turns the view in steps rather than smoothly. It's not playable in that state. :shrug:

Then I tried Alien Isolation; it works better, but it's still clearly not as good as a native VR title. The text is hard to read, aiming is difficult if not impossible (not that you're really supposed to be shooting everything) and interacting with objects (computers, etc.) puts them right in your face so you have to lean back. Other than that, it works and is at least as spooky as playing the game traditionally. You can hide in a locker and then move your head around to peek out the vents like IRL! Turning using the controls without using your head is a little disorienting, although to be fair that's more realism than a bug. I only played a little bit, continuing off my save, and probably won't try playing it in VR again until it's much more improved, but it's nice to know that it's at least possible to retrofit older games to mostly work in VR.

This is my first experience of the contrast between native and non-native VR games, and the difference is pretty obvious. I've got to re-think how I expect to use the Rift.

Theres a lot of options in doom 3 for movement. It sounds like you had it set to the mode where you move the player around in 3rd person to get around not having to physically move the camera. You can also set it to teleport, or to use the stick to just move like normal based on your head direction, or the direction the controller is pointed. Check in the options and see how you have it set.

When set up right, doom 3 practically feels like a native VR game.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That makes sense! Thanks, I'll give that a try the next chance I get.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I would suggest standing while playing Doom and physically turning yourself in the space, also, rather than using turn controls. It feels a lot better.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'd suggest throwing your VR set in the garbo because who wants to play with a ghost? The ghost is VR because it's dead you see

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

October is spooky month, and I'm gonna put my spooky ghost helmet on, for it

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

homeless snail posted:

October is spooky month, and I'm gonna put my spooky ghost helmet on, for it
And then play Fallout 4 VR

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ShadowHawk posted:

And then play Fallout 4 VR

That was pushed back to december.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Also, I'd rather play a good game.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Five years till VR is an actual mainstream thing appears to be right. Also, five years passes in the blink of an eye. VR will not be the smartphone, naturally. That's the problem, I think. A lot of people are thinking that anything that doesn't reach smartphone level is an automatic failure. Like the smartwatch. But the smartwatch doesn't offer anything particularly different or superior to a smartphone, so it was never going to set the world alight. VR does offer something different and superior, and the tech and software will keep improving. Smaller, lighter, wireless, inside-out, FOV, eye-tracking. All these are needed, and as much as they are difficult problems they are not insurmountable.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

ZombyDog posted:

Also, I'd rather play a good game.

then why did u buy VR????

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The Vive controllers are good. VR is fun. Onward is a great game. IronWolf is fantastic. Very excited for Knucks but I won't hate on Vive controllers in the slightest. Motherfuckers are comfortable and I feel like I'm shooting a gun at someone. Perfect size, good heft, trackpads are superior to joysticks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone know where/if TPCast is sold in brick and mortar stores in China? The wife's over there and I'm debating having her pick one up.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

I think you should lurk more. You talk a lot of bullshit and snide comments. I'd honestly hit you in the mouth in real life if we were all standing around chatting. You're a dick.

Indeed I feel the same way about Zaphod42. I think one thing we can agree on is that Zaphod42 is a complete tool.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 29, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Exioce posted:

Five years till VR is an actual mainstream thing appears to be right. Also, five years passes in the blink of an eye. VR will not be the smartphone, naturally. That's the problem, I think. A lot of people are thinking that anything that doesn't reach smartphone level is an automatic failure. Like the smartwatch. But the smartwatch doesn't offer anything particularly different or superior to a smartphone, so it was never going to set the world alight. VR does offer something different and superior, and the tech and software will keep improving. Smaller, lighter, wireless, inside-out, FOV, eye-tracking. All these are needed, and as much as they are difficult problems they are not insurmountable.

Outside-in will remain the better option as long as some definite improvements happen to make it hassle-free to setup. Inside-out, however, will definitely be the less expensive option in the long run.

Better lenses to accomodate those with eyesight problems would also be a huge thing. Perhaps lenses that you place on top of the headset lenses and have them be locked in place?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

When set up right, doom 3 practically feels like a native VR game.

Look, you obviously like it, but this is a huge exaggeration. There are a whole bunch of issues with it (many of them seemingly small but they quickly add up) and I would basically advise anyone prone to sim sickness to steer clear. I've tried it multiple times, tested all the different comfort settings, it never fails to ruin my brain. He's right to say there is an obvious difference between built-for-VR and VR-retrofit.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 29, 2017

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Using regular locomotion, it feels like Pavlov or anything like that. Maybe buy some seasickness pills for your little baby tummy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah Doom 3 VRs default settings are garbo but it works better than most native vr titles when configured correctly, even though it doesnt have my favorite movement style (the ski poles one) that makes sense for an fps and the proper comfort mode setting is OFF.

I actually like that you can have two movement styles on at the same time, a lot. Walking when appropriate, teleporting when I want to. Good combination.

I love the interactive screens and computers, that is some good poo poo especially.

The whole first loving hour of the game is still complete garbage but thats a design problem and VR makes it bearable

Should come packaged with a save that skips it haha

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Sintax posted:

Using regular locomotion, it feels like Pavlov or anything like that. Maybe buy some seasickness pills for your little baby tummy

Yeah. I don't find the experience of Doom 3 VR mod to be any different than playing Pavlov. Doom 3 VR mod feels like a native VR game.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I'm fine with the smooth locomotion in Pavlov (but I still think it feels silly and floaty). While I wish I had a stronger stomach, I also feel like it makes me a good weathervane of what will and won't work in VR. People won't play games/use apps that make them feel like poo poo and that's something that VR is going to have to keep working at. Until we invent crazy inner ear magnets that simulate motion. I might also get used to it if I played single-player games more often. The really compelling experiences that keep me coming back are the online socials (theWave, Rec Room, BigScreen, Echo Arena). Also I totally love teleport locomotion. I'm inside a computer world, why should I have to use these squishy obsolete legs of mine? Or even pretend to be using them? Of course, giving all the options is by far the best way to go.

Personally I won't be happy until there's giant empty warehouse tetherless VR deathmatch arenas. Unreal Tournament for reals.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 29, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
They have those though. Does that mean you are happy?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Not in Australia. Not happy. And if you mean paintball/laser tag, it's not the same without a flak cannon and gibs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Isnt the biggest and best VR arena warehouse in the world in Australia? The ones who developed their own back mounted vr kits and have the terrain in the warehouse match the terrain in vr.

I was gonna add a "but only in Australia lol" comment since the us ones are mostly small or still under construction but if you are actually there at ground zero that doesnt work!

Edit: Looks like it is in Melbourne and Brisbane

The first US one opens September 8th so thats cool too

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 29, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to the same basic reasoning as console warriors. People who have chosen a gaming platform and either can't afford to or don't want to get another one to play something unavailable on their own. They don't want to think that other gamers might be having a better experience than they are, so anything that doesn't work their way must suck.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
^^^ Yeah, I figured it's that (fear of missing out), and schadenfreude-lust. And that Wii and Kinect sort of poisoned the well for motion controls.

nth-ing the sentiment that Doom 3 VR feels like a native VR game, given that the current standard for VR games can include nausea-inducing movement systems. I've acclimated to the point that the only thing that keeps me from playing is how loving nervous the game makes me. If someone could mod in a co-op mode also, that would work wonders (although I'd still have no friends with a top-tier HMD).

There was a bit where you have to ride around on a moving platform that started edging me into :barf: territory, though.

The Hover Junkers guy commented on his 2-handed gun video that VR is like the transition from 2D to 3D, but I see it as more like how video games were in the mid-to-late 70's and early 80's. Tons of fun but shallow experiences that get by on novelty factor, but also the excitement of a new medium and all the experimentation that comes with it, along with the stumbles because best practices haven't been ironed out yet.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 29, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I've been holding out for ~gen 2~ for a while, and for more VR games to be released, but I am really glad I purchased a Rift recently. The price drop didn't hurt the decision either, but I've been having a blast with VR games so far. Maybe it's because I've only been playing Good Games (tm), but I highly recommend anyone waiting around to go ahead and jump in.

I've also been able to play without wearing my glasses, so that's a huge bonus I wasn't expecting :woop:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kloa posted:

I've been holding out for ~gen 2~ for a while, and for more VR games to be released, but I am really glad I purchased a Rift recently. The price drop didn't hurt the decision either, but I've been having a blast with VR games so far. Maybe it's because I've only been playing Good Games (tm), but I highly recommend anyone waiting around to go ahead and jump in.

I've also been able to play without wearing my glasses, so that's a huge bonus I wasn't expecting :woop:

You didn't set unrealistic expectations for yourself. That's why you're having fun.

If I would have gone into this expecting crystal clear visuals and zero loving around I'd be upset. But it's so fun and even non big budget titles have been fun.

Accounting, the red stare and heaps of other good free content, all exist.

Haters can hate but I really feel like the people who don't enjoy it went on with too high of expectations and or had tons of tech issues they couldn't figure out or wanted to blame something other than there own hardware.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bridge Crew is half off, now everyone can stop complaining and buy it

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
4 of us played it last night and did pretty well. The only time we failed horribly was when we tried the OG Enterprise, somebody lost the ability to speak, and we couldn't figure out how to bring our shields back up.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

There is a natural desire to see others fail. It is enjoyable to look down upon them and lecture them for something they "should have seen coming."

this "us against the sheeple" mentality is 90% of why there's people that don't like VR, it's not about the hardware so much as how it gets overhyped by people

hitting the $300 and under mark should go a very long way to get new people and devs interested in the medium though

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

Bridge Crew is half off, now everyone can stop complaining and buy it
oh god dammit ubisoft, it requires uplay so you can't launch it from VR, you have to take the headset off and then launch it manually

loving hell guys, dump your poo poo launcher already

still, it's a good price point at $25 and I'll pick it up :/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I haven't played it since they patched it so maybe it changed but I don't remember that being the case, launches just fine out of SteamVR home. It does use uplay though for networking to facilitate cross platform stuff

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I haven't launched it yet; just going by the steam review. Maybe it was just a problem with that guy plus my lingering generalized hate for uplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't know how it is with steam, but i've never launched uplay for it. I just click on it in oculus home and it loads the game :shrug: