Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think that was the best one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Warhound Inferno Cannon?

It's surprisingly hard to find them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This is amazing and I wasn't aware of its existence until now.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Every new episode of this trigger the same mental cycle of "Man Black Templars are cool I should paint some... oh wait painting black is a pain in the rear end... but that looks cool though... but it's a pain to paint"

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So it has been a while since I posted a battle report. I’ve been trying to get into a competitive mindset for this game, and with Ultramarines kind of riding as a viable army in this edition, I set out to Siegeworld in St.Louis, MO. This was my first true ITC event, having attended the Adepticon GT twice now, which uses modified ITC rules.
I had a good time, which is always the case with 40k for me. I play so little that I am always excited to go to an event, even if individual matches or opponents might suck the fun out of the moment.
It was a 2 day event with a total of 5 matches. For those interested you can see the results on BCP, but suffice to say things didn’t go that well for me despite taking what I had considered a strong list composed of the following:
Guilliman
Chronos in Quad-Las Pred
Techmarine w/ Conversion Beamer
3x 5-man Scout squads w/ Heavy Bolters
3x 5-man Devs w/ 2xHBs 2xMLs and Cherubs
Company Ancient with the Emperor’s Banner
Dread w/ 2x Autocannon 2x Las
4x Vets on Bikes w/ Chainsword/Stormbolter
Stormraven w/ 2xAC 2xHB 2xHurricaneBolter and Missiles
Culexus Assassin
Day 1 ended with 2 perfect draws and 1 major victory basically meaning I had no chance of winning the event, but overall this was my favorite day. I felt I had played well, and hadn’t been cheated out of anything.

Game 1 vs. Sisters
My first game almost ended on Turn 1 in disaster. My opponent came with 4 Repressors, Celestine, and 3 squads of Retributors with HBs. The Repressors are capable of scouting prior to the game beginning(Forgeworld Model, go figure). He then proceeded to seize on me putting him right in front of my lines on Turn 1. This along with using acts of faith for double shooting and movement resulted in almost all but a few infantry models being dead. My banner allowed some of my guys to shoot back, killing some seraphim and elysians who had also dropped into battle.
A testament to my amount of firepower my remaining units were capable of killing almost all of his attacking force with Guilliman sending Celestine to her first death.
Ultimately, all that remained of both our armies were his Retributors, and my Warlord along with Chronus. We ended up splitting Eternal War and Maelstrom perfectly, I was relieved to get this considering how hard his Alpha strike hit me.
In the end, we both made mistakes, better use of his drop troops could’ve tied up Chronus, saving his own vehicles, and in his zeal to get warlord kill all he did was throw Celestine on to Guilliman’s blade twice. I forgot that ITC has an additional stratagem that allows for rerolling Maelstrom objectives, something that might of broken the tie in my favor.

Game 2 vs. Astra Militarum
I got paired up with a buddy from my team, with the Relic mission. The game was basically a shooting match with my Culexus grabbing the Relic and sitting on it most of the game. Going first really swung the momentum in my favor as my shooting was capable of killing his Shadowsword, and injuring one of his flyers to its lowest profile on turn 1. In hindsight, if he had gone first I may have been tabled.
Fortunately for him he rolled hot on Maelstrom, while I did not, which split the objectives resulting my second tie of the day. Once again forgetting about the reroll objectives stratagem might of cost me.

Game 3 vs. Harlequins
My only true victory of the event. While my opponent played well, using terrain to cross the table with minimal casualties, a combination of vicious overwatch and Guilliman’s melee resulted in all but one single hiding model were killed. I did suffer heavy casualties myself, but his guys were just too few and too fragile to withstand what I was putting out.

His guys did look cool though, he had different chess pieces representing different parts of the force organization chart on their bases.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Nice table my man, thanks for the battle reports

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Scouting sisters are no joke man, as is a guard gunline. I'm not surprised you gunned down harlies. They are just so fragile. It sounds like you might have ate some losses the next two games?

What worked with your list? What didn't you like? What would you change?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Playing a few casual 1000pt games with friends tomorrow. Will I lose my gaming buddies if I field a Demon Prince, two units of Berzerkers and a Hellforged Spartan?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Scouting sisters are no joke man, as is a guard gunline. I'm not surprised you gunned down harlies. They are just so fragile. It sounds like you might have ate some losses the next two games?

What worked with your list? What didn't you like? What would you change?

Yeah, definitely, just wanted to separate it into two posts, and because I don’t have a lot of pics from Day 2 for reasons I will get into.
So, an important detail going into the event was that the TOs adopted the recommended ITC change that all bottom levels of ruins count as LoS blocking. This is a change I actually agree with because my list is absolutely vicious at range as are many others.
What I would come to find out during the second turn of Game 4 was that this was taken to mean that the ENTIRE base of a ruins piece was considered to have walls, not just to mean that walls with windows were considered to not have them. This bomb was dropped on me mid-game by a rather insufferable opponent. I immediately called bullshit and asked the TOs, who sided with him claiming that was what ITC had recommended. I would come to find out after the event that this is not the case, but it basically made my second game unwinnable, because my opponent had placed all 3 of his objective markers in building with Obj Sec troops, while my only infantry models, were scouts and Devastators. This rule change basically meant that bikes and Guilliman were not only incapable of shooting into the bottom floor of a ruin, regardless of angle, but they couldn’t assault through the “walls” because that is something only infantry can do.

Game 4 vs. Astra Militarum

To this guy’s credit he brought a largely infantry force with troop transports, and Creed of all models, and some Rough Riders. This was of course off set by finding out I couldn’t possibly dislodged him from his objectives, and that he was easily one of the biggest “know-it-alls” I’ve ever met. Knowing what I know now, I should’ve given him a thumbs down on sportsmanship. Either way it is a name I’ll remember…

So here is the only pic I have of the game, my zeal to record matches seems to drop the less fun I am having. The building with the Objective marker on the right is a 3 point scouring objective, with the other 3 pointer in the center with my army standing on it. Basically what he had done is but obj Sec guys inside the building within 3 inches of the marker, then claimed my bikes couldn’t go around and enter from the open side, once the TO confirmed this I was basically hosed.

The more I dwelled on the match the more I felt cheated. My opponent basically did nothing the entire game but stayed where he deployed, all the aggression was on my part. He rolled more favorable Maelstroms, and then broke the tie on the Eternal War by using “Move, Move, Move” to push his infantry squads out of their buildings on the final turn to contest the center(since he had bottom turn). At the end you basically had Guilliman running around murdering everything he could reach outside of buildings unable to clear the guys from the inside.

Game 5 vs. Grey Knights

Another game that was lost basically entirely on this rules change. My opponent put his terminators and strike squads inside buildings with objectives, I killed everything outside of them, and since scouts and Devastators were the only models capable of entering I was once again screwed.
I did my best to place my objectives in open areas where I could reach them, but it wasn’t enough the inability of Guilliman to enter the ruins, along with the Grey Knight ability to essentially gate of infinity from building to building made it hard to pin him down. I suffered almost no casualties this game, and nearly tabled him but we tied on Maelstrom and he had me on Eternal War simply because Guilliman couldn’t finish the job. It was a very unsatisfying game against a very mediocre list, that definitely put a final sour note on the day.

Final thoughts.
So I got a little vindication afterwards. I contacted the ITC guys to go over the changes to terrain, and they confirmed it was not their intent that ruins or buildings block all sides, but merely ruins with windows on the bottom floor we counted as not having them since so many boards lack terrain that blocks full LoS.
Beyond that I would’ve saved more command points to reroll Maelstrom Objectives in my favor. These are the main strategic take aways.

Devastators with MLs and HBs – Totally the way to go, the Flakk Missile and Hellfire Round Stratgems are money. These are the only two Heavy Weapons with a stratagem devoted to them, and they are the most versatile.

Heavy Bolters on Scouts – Wasted points.

Sgt Chronos – A must take for Ultramarines. I love this bastard.

Guilliman – Don’t fall into the trap of keeping him in your back lines. While castling has its place, Guilliman only earns his points back if he is buffing as many units as possible while murdering as many as possible. Changes going forward is to take units that can keep pace with him, while still providing significant fire. I.E. Chronos.

Bike Vets – I am still on the fence, at times they shined, other times they flopped. With sufficient terrain they can be a great harassment unit, or kept back in your lines coming forward to counter enemy alpha strikes. I’ll likely give them another shot.

Culexus Assassin – Best assassin

Devastators – Superior to tacticals, but still fragile at the end of the day. I might not take as many in the future, but at least one squad to use the Hellfire and Flakk Stratagem seems like an auto-pick.

Stormraven – So still gun-per-point one of the best units in the game, but losing the ability to take objectives is actually a huge hit in my opinion. The TOs extended this to secondary objectives like linebreaker, and Maelstrom missions. For example my opponent scored the “have 3 scoring units in your deployment zone and none of the opponents” three drat times on game 1. This meant my Raven was unable to interfere with this. They also have the downside of being visible from basically anywhere on the table. I plan on replacing it with a Leviathan Dread.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

LOS ruin nonsense

I saw some posting on the competitive 40k group and wondered if that was you. I don't agree with the TOs and I'm glad you had some clarifications.

Your takeaway is always discuss terrain, even nitpicky things with your opponent before you even pick sides. That conversation would have stopped this, and would have made the guy either back down because nerds don't like to be confronted, or you would have known going into it and played super hard for maelstrom.

A useful tool for things like that (especially when needing to argue with a TO that is misinformed) is to have them show you it in the packet. Same thing with the maelstrom/tertiary objectives and fliers thing. If it's not in the packet you have a pretty solid standing if only for that game.

Those are a tourney experience things that gets easier the more events you play. I'll bring crap like that up to the TOs before rounds start if I feel the packet is poorly worded so it gets into pregame announcements. It's important, and games (and whole events) can hinge on things like that.

e: what exactly did the culexus do for you in those 5 games? You did not mention him (except for the relic) in any of your writeups.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 28, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That LoS thing is one of the stupidest tournament rulings I've ever heard.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

A few things to realize about the Culexus, in some ways he is superior to his older version in other ways he is not. In his old version he just straight up negated buffs, which isn't something he does now. But he is so insanely cheap that if your opponent lacks flamers, he will always take a disproportionate amount of guns to kill(excluding things like Dark Reapers or Khorne).

In game 1 he actually did the least, my opponent had no psykers, and he ended up getting caught in a slap fight with the other Culexus, before Guilliman chopped it in half.

Game 2: Held the Relic, my opponent's was used for Linebreaker. A Culexus holding a Relic out of LoS is basically an auto win on that objective or really any objective that is isolated from enemy infantry. Considering my opponent had done a good job of killing most my scouts with Earthshakers so the Culexus was a nice FU in the end.

Game 3: This guy really messed with my opponents 3 shadowseers who he just dogged the entire game. He caused a good number of their powers to fail and continually harassed them.

Game 4: No enemy psykers, but walked in front of Guilliman, and laughed as my opponent wasted a significant amount of shots on him.

Game 5: Killed an entire strike squad on his own. My opponent hid from me for the most part. Voldus ended up killing him in melee, had Guilliman been right on his heels as originally planned he would've done is job of shielding very adequately. He also made my opponent fail a lot of tests.

I will definitely be more aggressive about that kind of poo poo if someone tries to pull it at the Renegade.

It is also worth noting that the winning lists had malefic lord spamming out the rear end, had I ended up at the top, he would've been vital to stand a chance.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 28, 2017

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Uroboros posted:

It is also worth noting that the winning lists had malefic lord spamming out the rear end, had I ended up at the top, he would've been vital to stand a chance.

Is there any way to view this armylist?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear about the Culexus. I picked one up to use in my Custodes/Sisters/Knight/Inquisition army. I'll definitely use him as a shield for characters.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Alright, getting back in. Haven't played since... 6th? Whatever edition had the WD codex for sisters. Could definitely use a little help building a force.

Here's my jumble of owned models:
~40x bolter sisters
6x flamers
6x meltas
1x heavy flamer
1x heavy melta
3x tanks, magnetized, rhino or immolator, 1 can be an exorcist
1x cannonness
4x seraphim (not enough to be useful, and annoyingly expensive)
1x celestine
1x penitent engine (I assume these are still terrible?)
1x hospitaller
1x banner sister
1x inquisator coteaz
1x inquisator karamazov
1x vindicare

What's the easiest direction to take this for a ~1000pt force, with plans to go to 1500?

Just get more tanks and run mechanized?
Beef up the inquisition component? (I never really had a chance to use them, don't know how that works, but it seems like in 8th I can just slot them into the HQ slot and lose nothing?)
Get more seraphim to run celestine in a group?

Just adding more tanks seems the cheapest and most versatile, I don't know what I am doing.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

Alright, getting back in. Haven't played since... 6th? Whatever edition had the WD codex for sisters. Could definitely use a little help building a force.

Here's my jumble of owned models:
~40x bolter sisters
6x flamers
6x meltas
1x heavy flamer
1x heavy melta
3x tanks, magnetized, rhino or immolator, 1 can be an exorcist
1x cannonness
4x seraphim (not enough to be useful, and annoyingly expensive)
1x celestine
1x penitent engine (I assume these are still terrible?)
1x hospitaller
1x banner sister
1x inquisator coteaz
1x inquisator karamazov
1x vindicare

What's the easiest direction to take this for a ~1000pt force, with plans to go to 1500?

Just get more tanks and run mechanized?
Beef up the inquisition component? (I never really had a chance to use them, don't know how that works, but it seems like in 8th I can just slot them into the HQ slot and lose nothing?)
Get more seraphim to run celestine in a group?

Just adding more tanks seems the cheapest and most versatile, I don't know what I am doing.

Just download battlescrible, select a detachment (battalion is a good start) and build to whatever points level you want to play with.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

I saw some posting on the competitive 40k group and wondered if that was you. I don't agree with the TOs and I'm glad you had some clarifications.

Your takeaway is always discuss terrain, even nitpicky things with your opponent before you even pick sides. That conversation would have stopped this, and would have made the guy either back down because nerds don't like to be confronted, or you would have known going into it and played super hard for maelstrom.

A useful tool for things like that (especially when needing to argue with a TO that is misinformed) is to have them show you it in the packet. Same thing with the maelstrom/tertiary objectives and fliers thing. If it's not in the packet you have a pretty solid standing if only for that game.

Those are a tourney experience things that gets easier the more events you play. I'll bring crap like that up to the TOs before rounds start if I feel the packet is poorly worded so it gets into pregame announcements. It's important, and games (and whole events) can hinge on things like that.

e: what exactly did the culexus do for you in those 5 games? You did not mention him (except for the relic) in any of your writeups.

This is why I want you to go over the combat patrol packet for The Renegade Open. I want to make sure that poo poo is as clear as can be before that tournament. Even if the hogs are too chicken to come down early to play it.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

TWSS posted:

Just download battlescrible, select a detachment (battalion is a good start) and build to whatever points level you want to play with.

I'm fiddling with that right now actually, I just have no idea what I'm doing. 40k has always been full of trap choices and I'm assuming this edition is no different.

edit: I should also add I'm struggling with the force org component a bit - it's hard to know what detachment to pick and annoying that I have to remake the roster to pick a different one?

Am I correct that I can only take an assassin if I take the -1 CP Aux support detachment?

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 28, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

TWSS posted:

Is there any way to view this armylist?

Winning List was Renegades

Battalion Det 1
Changleling
27x Brimstones
3x Malefic Lord
6x Wyverns
3x Earthshakers

Battalion Det 2
27x Brimstones
2x Malefic Lord
1x Valkyrie

Supreme Command Det
1x Magnus
5x Malefic Lords

Yeah, sounds fun, right?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I sometimes wish Forgeworld wasn't so enthusiastically embraced by the tournament crowd.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

Battalion Det 1
Changleling
27x Brimstones
3x Malefic Lord
6x Wyverns
3x Earthshakers

Battalion Det 2
27x Brimstones
2x Malefic Lord
1x Valkyrie

Supreme Command Det
1x Magnus
5x Malefic Lords

Yeah, sounds fun, right?

I played something like that I've looked into stuff like that but I don't understand Maggy in these lists. I suppose reroll ones on saves? You do have to kill a ton of brims and survive smites for a turn. That kind of artillery can high roll you like crazy but doesn't do as much damage as bobby g and his backup band

Master Twig posted:

This is why I want you to go over the combat patrol packet for The Renegade Open. I want to make sure that poo poo is as clear as can be before that tournament. Even if the hogs are too chicken to come down early to play it.

Oh come on, we can't take all your lunch money.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I sometimes wish Forgeworld wasn't so enthusiastically embraced by the tournament crowd.

Agreed. Their rules are complete poo poo.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fortunately, I don't really do tournaments. If someone wanted to play that list against me outside of one I would politely, but firmly, invite them to gently caress Off.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deptfordx posted:

Fortunately, I don't really do tournaments. If someone wanted to play that list against me outside of one I would politely, but firmly, invite them to gently caress Off.

Yeah, exactly, this is only partially a FW problem. If someone put down 200 brimstones and Magnus I'd say the same thing, and that's all GW.

I just want to stop getting dirty looks if I want to use a rad model like a Sicaran or a Leviathan dread.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Uroboros posted:

Battalion Det 1
Changleling
27x Brimstones
3x Malefic Lord
6x Wyverns
3x Earthshakers

Battalion Det 2
27x Brimstones
2x Malefic Lord
1x Valkyrie

Supreme Command Det
1x Magnus
5x Malefic Lords

Yeah, sounds fun, right?

Jesus loving christ.

Reminds me of a memorial tournament my lgs club had. Two man team tournament in 7th. Two teams brought brimstones, khorne dogs then Magnus, a changer of ways Fate Weaver. Total poo poo show an the prize was store credit I think.

I get that curb stomping is some peoples fun but you know how about just don't sometimes?

Edit: three guesses what lists were on winners table.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I mean bringing that poo poo to a LGS tourney is dumb.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ain't nothin dumb about winning

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

I played something like that I've looked into stuff like that but I don't understand Maggy in these lists. I suppose reroll ones on saves? You do have to kill a ton of brims and survive smites for a turn. That kind of artillery can high roll you like crazy but doesn't do as much damage as bobby g and his backup band

Oh come on, we can't take all your lunch money.

Agreed, the explanation I was given is the new tzeentch powers basically make him 3++ rerolling 1s so he is more survivable. Then on top of that he is still one of the nastiest guys around, double movement power means he can be wherever he chooses.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I like that forgeworld units make it into tournaments, and I hope their continued use means they get ‘chapter approved’ and FAQd quickly like the other stuff is.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Last unpainted pic- I really wanted a Leman Russ Punisher but didn't have one. I was lucky in that when FW sent me the punisher cannons for the vultures they sent an extra- so I made my own.

Now I begin my paint-a-thon

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
godspeed, sweet ham

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Last unpainted pic- I really wanted a Leman Russ Punisher but didn't have one. I was lucky in that when FW sent me the punisher cannons for the vultures they sent an extra- so I made my own.

Beastman got a sweet whip.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeast posted:

I like that forgeworld units make it into tournaments, and I hope their continued use means they get ‘chapter approved’ and FAQd quickly like the other stuff is.

It won't. GW views them as being entirely separate.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OhDearGodNo posted:

Drive me closer I want to hit them with my Axe

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

Glad to hear about the Culexus. I picked one up to use in my Custodes/Sisters/Knight/Inquisition army. I'll definitely use him as a shield for characters.

How do you structure such a list? I'm still trying to get my head around properly representing a fluffy GK/inq list.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah I mean bringing that poo poo to a LGS tourney is dumb.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Are all FW models finecast? I recently assembled a few (GW) Necron HQs in finecast, and it was a terrible experience.

I kinda want to buy a FW Leviathan dread, but if it's finecast I'd rather carve one out of wood or something.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Theyre resin yes, but a much better quality resin than finecast.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I never purchased a "finecast" model before, but I only heard horrible things about them, what was so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Bent pieces that needed to be heated and straightened (carefully, because they were always the most spindly and brittle bits), scads of bubble-pits, and horrific mold-slippage were all typical of "Fine"cast.