Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think we're waiting for this Wednesday because Cohen said there would be something particularly good after there being no interview last Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zeruel posted:

So what's the date we're waiting on now? 31st August/1st September?

4/13 again

and again and again and again

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
They will announce the release date which will be 10/25, and that there won't be any more interviews or press until release so they can focus. Then when 10/25 rolls around, there will be nothing.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thanks alot assbag posted:

They will announce the release date which will be 10/25, and that there won't be any more interviews or press until release so they can focus. Then when 10/25 rolls around, there will be nothing.

Europe dates, 10th of Octember. They'll ship it with that bird that comes by on the first.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It will come out on the 10th day of '25.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ancient software proverb: Promise a date but not a year.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What a surprise that Cyberpunk 2077 is the actual epilogue to Homestuck and Hiveswap was just a distraction

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

they let any old rubbish get greenlit
Like Hiveswap! :v:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Pants Donkey posted:

Like Hiveswap! :v:

:thejoke:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yo I got a question. Soon after Jade is introduced, why does she have some of these trolls in her Pesterchum list: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002727

I thought Sollux never trolled the humans, so I don't understand why he'd be in the list.

edit: As a general comment, my main issue with later Homestuck (by later I mean post-retcon, not all of Act 6) is that it had a general "fanfiction" sorta feel to it. It's hard to pinpoint specific things, but it seemed like the events that happened were the same sort of events that you'd expect to see people include in fanfiction (i.e. the sort of stuff random fans might write about when thinking "it'd be really cute/cool if X happened!"). The way Vriska was dealt with was a good example; it read like the fanfiction of someone who really likes Vriska.

The best way I can think of to describe it is that some things sounded sorta like those shit_that_didnt_happen.txt stories where an interaction between people is unrealistically positive in a way that is clearly meant to be heartwarming (or something) to the reader. Like, there's a difference between "people being nice to each other" and "people being nice to each other in this weird exaggerated way that doesn't accurately represent how most people interact."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 29, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Karkat thought Jade was responsible for their predicament and he probably badgered him into going along with his harassment at least once.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clawtopsy posted:

When she met all the other characters after having all her problems solved and giving her a ring that restores life instead of good characters John had met, everyone pretty much said how beautiful she was except Terezi who said she was badass instead

This scene kinda bugged me because it's one thing to be nice, but it's another to be so nice it comes off as downright patronizing.

The whole thing with the ring always bugged me because it was a clear example of a situation with an opportunity cost. Like, Feferi or Nepeta or some other good (morally speaking) character could have been revived instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yo I got a question. Soon after Jade is introduced, why does she have some of these trolls in her Pesterchum list: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002727

I thought Sollux never trolled the humans, so I don't understand why he'd be in the list.

edit: As a general comment, my main issue with later Homestuck (by later I mean post-retcon, not all of Act 6) is that it had a general "fanfiction" sorta feel to it. It's hard to pinpoint specific things, but it seemed like the events that happened were the same sort of events that you'd expect to see people include in fanfiction (i.e. the sort of stuff random fans might write about when thinking "it'd be really cute/cool if X happened!"). The way Vriska was dealt with was a good example; it read like the fanfiction of someone who really likes Vriska.

The best way I can think of to describe it is that some things sounded sorta like those shit_that_didnt_happen.txt stories where an interaction between people is unrealistically positive in a way that is clearly meant to be heartwarming (or something) to the reader. Like, there's a difference between "people being nice to each other" and "people being nice to each other in this weird exaggerated way that doesn't accurately represent how most people interact."

basically you're saying it's fanservicey

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Still, better than characters that got hyped up and did all of jack poo poo, like Karkat, Jake, and so on.

This is from a while back, but I feel like he didn't really know what to do with Karkat, because Karkat basically finished his whole character arc by the end of Act 5 and was a generally good, if a bit cranky, dude beyond that point.

Jake always bugged me because I sorta found him interesting as an anti-John - like, someone who shares a lot of John's superficial traits/behavior but lacks most of his strengths - and was curious to see if he'd develop in an interesting direction later. But nope!

edit: Oh, another thing that really bugged me is that post-retcon Vriska basically steals Karkat's whole role from him. Karkat is supposed be the "not personally powerful, but keeps everyone working together" guy, but everything goes to poo poo in the timeline without Vriska, which makes it seem like Vriska is better at doing his own job than he is. Then again, a lot of things related to Vriska are dumb as hell. I like how in that fan-continuation thing Vriska just fucks everything up.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAEs-NlcRtU

Sept 14th 2017

its finally real

quote:

Important: for ALL reward tiers, the game and soundtrack are slated to be delivered in 2014. All other items, however, should be delivered around December 2012, in time for the holidays!

right on time

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Kelp Plankton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAEs-NlcRtU

Sept 14th 2017

its finally real

right on time

I don't believe you.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Oh, another thing that really bugged me is that post-retcon Vriska basically steals Karkat's whole role from him. Karkat is supposed be the "not personally powerful, but keeps everyone working together" guy, but everything goes to poo poo in the timeline without Vriska, which makes it seem like Vriska is better at doing his own job than he is. Then again, a lot of things related to Vriska are dumb as hell. I like how in that fan-continuation thing Vriska just fucks everything up.

to this day im still bummed about their character arcs

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also that rolling away animation looked so bad holy smokes

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ArfJason posted:

Same. Everybody was so much better developed in the GAME OVER timeline.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Hiveswap's coming out?

Eh, I'll see it when I believe it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Today's the day they tell us a day

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

RandallODim posted:

Today's the day they tell us a day

They've done that before, then they took it away

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hussie didn’t even post about it on the mspa site.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It's often overlooked, but it's Terezi that held everyone together, not Vriska. Ultimately everything that tore apart the meteor crew the first time round was down to Terezi falling apart herself over the guilt. Dave and Karkat were at each other throats fighting over Terezi; Dave was eventually pushed out of his relationship because he couldn't handle her black romance with Gamzee; Rose took up drinking because of the stress of wanting to do the auspistice thing with Terezi and Gamzee but not equipped to do it. Having Vriska back kept Terezi properly centred and focused so none of those problems came up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tenebrais posted:

It's often overlooked, but it's Terezi that held everyone together, not Vriska.

Bull-loving-poo poo.

God, I wish this was true, but it's loving not and don't pretend that it is.

Post recon Vriska was the one that magically kept everyone, Vriska was the one who came up with the plan that saved everyone, and Terezi was her simpering sidekick there to do whatever Vriska said.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 29, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Sometimes I remember the Karkat conversations in Meenahstuck and laugh at how naive we all were to think they'd actually lead somewhere.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Goddammit, I thought I was over getting mad about Homestuck but thinking about how poorly Terezi was handled post retcon is angering up my blood.

Her friendship with Dave? Gone. Her friendship with Karkat? Gone. Her drive and motivation to do things not related to Vriska? loving gone.

She's miserable, talks about how miserable she is, then after the comic she fucks off into space to look for Vriska because being Vriska's friend is now her sole goal and personality trait and John is the only one who gives a poo poo about her doing that and even then just barely.

Fuuuuuuuck that sucked, so much of the ending sucked.

....so is anyone excited about Hiveswap?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I don't think the devs are excited about Hiveswap

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to wipe my mind clear of prejudice, and to look forward to Hiveswap with open eyes, and not care if it's good or bad until I have completed it.

Let go of worldly desires for a good Hometuck game. That game will never exist the way you imagined it in your head, anyway.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Hiveswap that can be played is not the true Hiveswap.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well I mean this is just episode 1 of part 1 of a trilogy or some poo poo, so I expect roughly an eighth of a real game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, the one post-retcon thing I actually kind of liked was the Dave/Karkat thing, even though I know most people don't like it. Not so much because they had much chemistry, but more because I feel like someone like Karkat is better for Dave than someone like Terezi. Dave's irony stuff is partly a front used to avoid expressing his true feelings, so I think the idea of him being in a relationship with someone who is generally sincere and not also constantly sarcastic/ironic is good for him.

Tenebrais posted:

It's often overlooked, but it's Terezi that held everyone together, not Vriska. Ultimately everything that tore apart the meteor crew the first time round was down to Terezi falling apart herself over the guilt. Dave and Karkat were at each other throats fighting over Terezi; Dave was eventually pushed out of his relationship because he couldn't handle her black romance with Gamzee; Rose took up drinking because of the stress of wanting to do the auspistice thing with Terezi and Gamzee but not equipped to do it. Having Vriska back kept Terezi properly centred and focused so none of those problems came up.

I could be forgetting something, but during the montage it definitely seems like Vriska is more directly involved. She's the one who knocks the alcohol out of Rose's hands, and also seems to be mostly involved with trying to keep Terezi out of the toxic relationship with Gamzee. And that's not even getting into the fact that spending a bunch of time with still-egotistical/crazy Vriska can't be good for someone. A lot of characters in homestuck didn't have good/complete character arcs, but what I think particularly annoys me about Vriska is that she did have a character arc that ended in a reasonable place (with her chilling out and letting go of her desire to always be in the spotlight), and then the retcon undid all her character growth and just said "nah she was fine as she was before." That "act omega" thing is satisfying just for the scene with Vriska having a mental breakdown after her plan doesn't work correctly.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Her friendship with Dave? Gone. Her friendship with Karkat? Gone. Her drive and motivation to do things not related to Vriska? loving gone.

She's miserable, talks about how miserable she is, then after the comic she fucks off into space to look for Vriska because being Vriska's friend is now her sole goal and personality trait and John is the only one who gives a poo poo about her doing that and even then just barely.

The aforementioned "act omega" thing seems to share this view, because it has a scene with Karkat getting angry at Terezi for effectively defining herself as "Vriska's handler."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 29, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Goddammit, I thought I was over getting mad about Homestuck but thinking about how poorly Terezi was handled post retcon is angering up my blood.

Fuuuuuuuck that sucked, so much of the ending sucked.

....so is anyone excited about Hiveswap?
Her whole deal was being in relationships with toxic people that used her and eroded her self-confidence. As nice as the Remember flash was, it was about two largely irrelevant dead characters reconciling, meanwhile living Vriska just keeps on going having learned jack.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i think after 5 years we have still seen less than one minute of gameplay

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Hussie didn’t even post about it on the mspa site.

this is the most lol-worthy part

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

i've never wanted a date to come sooner. not because I actually want to play the game, I just desperately need to see what the finished product apparently is

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Color Printer posted:

i've never wanted a date to come sooner. not because I actually want to play the game, I just desperately need to see what the finished product apparently is

it's not finished it's Act 1 of a 4(?) act story.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

At least Tweetman can't gently caress up writing for characters we've never met

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Music composed in the visionary new genre of ENnhHhstep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

ArfJason posted:

I still literally think that the Trolls were all meant to have character arcs that totally troll the reader

Vriska manages to steal the spotlight, having learned nothing
Karkat never does anything actually leader-y, he only gets one small victory at the end out of dumb luck
Kanaya didn't have to do anything but stand around and look pretty. She had plot armor for basically no reason

Then again, the problem is that all of the kids had arcs that troll the reader, too.