Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In Cars 4 Lightning McQueen learns about Malaysian sweatshops where all his US merchandise gets made. In the closing montage we watch all the laborers Lightning befriended making toy versions of themselves to be shipped overseas, because Lightning learned his lesson about responsible Capitalism or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Lotters stay out or get shoot

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Somebody pointed out that it should have said "loiters" and after a brief pause they started shooting at each other..

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Lotters stay out or get shoot

You can tell they really have a morbid desire to shoot people

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

cnut
May 3, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trig Discipline posted:

The thing about most streets having no name is awesome when you use voice navigation on Google maps, because it just goes "turn left on and then right on". Like it just gives the gently caress up.

Okay, serious question; how does Japanese post work then if there are no streetnames as reference points?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Luck

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, serious question; how does Japanese post work then if there are no streetnames as reference points?

Instead of street names each block has a name and every building in said block is numbered in either the construction order or clockwise/counterclockwise. Many apartment buildings also have names you can use for the address.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's... actually not a bad system

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

What band is that

Probably The Adicts

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mokinokaro posted:

Instead of street names each block has a name and every building in said block is numbered in either the construction order or clockwise/counterclockwise. Many apartment buildings also have names you can use for the address.

Interesting! I've been here six months and I honestly have no idea what's going on with my own address other than "if you write this sequence of words and numbers on a package it gets to me eventually".

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Each block has a NUMBER - the last part of the name is the ward which covers more than just a "block" - and the construction order based numbering means that it can be totally counterintuitive. Japan Post has obviously got all sorts of databases and maps to know what they're doing but everyone else has directions (the name of the apartment building isn't much help other than to let people know which unit you live in, the 3rd number of the 3 after the ward already tells people what building you are.)

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What the gently caress is pancreas denial?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What the gently caress is pancreas denial?

The theory goes that the Pancreas does not actually exist and that the procedure that they put you through to remove it is actually an operation to remove a "Chakral Energy" point that has been poisoned through the food we eat, meticulously planned by a group of evil arch wizards hell bent on taking magic away from the masses.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
These are all just false-flag things that only exist so that when you google them, you end up on a watch list, right?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

The theory goes that the Pancreas does not actually exist and that the procedure that they put you through to remove it is actually an operation to remove a "Chakral Energy" point that has been poisoned through the food we eat, meticulously planned by a group of evil arch wizards hell bent on taking magic away from the masses.

still more rational than bronies

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Memento posted:

These are all just false-flag things that only exist so that when you google them, you end up on a watch list, right?

Some are legit some are just 4chan shitposts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'God was raped' has showed up more than once now, is that something specific as well?

'America was never discovered' and 'Memphis rag sigil' definitely deserve explanation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tag yourselves. I'm "solar plexus clown gliders"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tag yourselves. I'm "solar plexus clown gliders"

I'm "Sentient Water". Every time you bathe I laugh at your dong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm pretty sure that "Mountains are giant trees" refers to the Hollow Earth conspiracy theory that the trees we see these days are lovely dumb trees and back in the day they had really big trees OMG like you have no idea and mountains like these are actually petrified tree stumps

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Evidence: The only mountain that looks like it could have been a big tree stump.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Each block has a NUMBER - the last part of the name is the ward which covers more than just a "block" - and the construction order based numbering means that it can be totally counterintuitive.

Given that so many houses in Japan are considered disposable and get rebuilt every time the property changes hands, doesn't that mean the numbers regularly change and keep counting up indefinitely? Like, if you went clockwise around a block 30 years ago the numbers might have gone 1-2-3-4 but now they go 11-7-12-9?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure that "Mountains are giant trees" refers to the Hollow Earth conspiracy theory that the trees we see these days are lovely dumb trees and back in the day they had really big trees OMG like you have no idea and mountains like these are actually petrified tree stumps

I hope that's canon in the next Godzilla movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not gonna lie, if Godzilla stood on that mountain and fought the aliens from Close Encounters, I'd watch it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is that one of the characters from Cars up there?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Phanatic posted:

Given that so many houses in Japan are considered disposable and get rebuilt every time the property changes hands, doesn't that mean the numbers regularly change and keep counting up indefinitely? Like, if you went clockwise around a block 30 years ago the numbers might have gone 1-2-3-4 but now they go 11-7-12-9?

I've been doing work with some less-developed countries and the businesses there have official addresses like:

No 12
Next to the Walmart
<townname>

and I can't help but think of the confusion that would happen if that store closed down, moved or changed name

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is that one of the characters from Cars up there?
It's David Mitchwheel.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

spog posted:

I've been doing work with some less-developed countries and the businesses there have official addresses like:

No 12
Next to the Walmart
<townname>

and I can't help but think of the confusion that would happen if that store closed down, moved or changed name

this confuses the poo poo out of me. i work in shipping and theres a large population of ethiopian immigrants who send documents back to family in their country and don't provide an address, they just say to call the recipient and they will pick it up. when i ask for the address the customers say 'they don't have addresses'.

that can't be the case, i cant comprehend it. modern society would cease to function if there were no addresses. what happens when there's an emergency and they call 911 or whatever? where do they tell them to send the ambulance? do they have the ambulance call them?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

im pooping! posted:

this confuses the poo poo out of me. i work in shipping and theres a large population of ethiopian immigrants who send documents back to family in their country and don't provide an address, they just say to call the recipient and they will pick it up. when i ask for the address the customers say 'they don't have addresses'.

that can't be the case, i cant comprehend it. modern society would cease to function if there were no addresses. what happens when there's an emergency and they call 911 or whatever? where do they tell them to send the ambulance? do they have the ambulance call them?

Numerical addresses are a comparatively modern thing. Mail delivery has traditionally depended on carriers who knew their routes and knew who lived where. If you addressed a letter to "Mrs. Smith in the house across the street from the crooked Oak tree" it would get delivered.

Deteriorata has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Aug 29, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or like you could write

WOOD
JOHN
MASS

on the envelope and it would get delivered to John Underwood, Andover, Massachusetts

(lol I bet)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Nah it's get delivered to John Underwood, but the fat one not the skinny one. The one who has a lot of mass.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Phanatic posted:

I think it only refers to the original construction order, when they first develop the area. A house that gets rebuilt keeps the same address.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

At first I thought it was a hosed up list of "This caused that" and when I got to "White genocide caused the moon landing" it was an extremely :wtf: moment.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

That's... actually not a bad system
When I lived there in the days before Google Maps, every retail store flyer or party invite had a map insert to show you how to find the place, and taxi drivers would regularly have to pull over to consult a paper map.

im pooping! posted:

I worked our shipping/billing software for some places in Latin America and we had to re-jig the whole "Address 1 / Address 2 / City / State / Zip" fields because in some places the address was like "Go past the big banana tree on the left and it's 2 houses past the dead tractor on the right".

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I like how "Androids" is listed twice. Like there's a conspiracy of androids, then there's another, deeper android conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MacheteZombie posted:

My buddy works for a programming company that takes day trips to places all the time for company bonding. They went to one of those trampoline facilities that people can bounce off walls and poo poo. Within 15 minutes 5 people had rolled ankles, jacked up their knees, and in 2 cases torn acls.

Haha programmers are frail