Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its an even worse sign than usual because im not from the city they loving flew me in lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

just bombed an interview i think

like it was the whole morning, ended right at lunchtime and i didnt get invited to go have lunch with them

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

make sure you expense them a $100 lunch

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

make sure you expense them a $100 lunch

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
seriously though. that's just rude. i never had a visitor leave with an empty stomach. even if i had to pay for it myself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

who cares so much about their company expenses that they dont buy lunch after flying someone out?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its just weird. if it was about saving money i guess they wouldnt have booked me business flights? its just a 2 hour flight and business is like 5x economy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hr were responsible for the flights, people with no social skills arranged the interview?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Thanks Ants posted:

hr were responsible for the flights, people with no social skills arranged the interview?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

did they fly you out for the day or overnight? in either case they owe you the meals between plane rides and it's not even weird to just send them a bill w/ receipts

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

no company has ever flown me > coach class :(

current job will put you in biz for international flights at least I guess

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Interviewing is such loving dogshit and I'm so glad I get to go to work everyday now.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I know I'm being impatient but how hard is it to schedule an interview when I gave them the availability of "literally any weekday at any time during business hours"?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I know I'm being impatient but how hard is it to schedule an interview when I gave them the availability of "literally any weekday at any time during business hours"?

usually when I've done this I've gotten a reply within two business days for a call later that week or early next.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ThePeavstenator posted:

If there's two people on the panel and there both busy it can be pretty hard

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

InfrastructureWeek posted:

the only time I got better than coach was when I was taking a train to an interview for an internship. it was pretty nice tbh

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

jre posted:

If there's two people on the panel and there both busy it can be pretty hard

I'm guessing this is the case. I'm just beyond ready to get the gently caress on to a new job and some real figgies and I've got a good feeling about this place.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Thanks Ants posted:

ding ding ding ding ding

The last time this happened to me it was all well and good before the lunch part, but when it came to the lunch part I couldn't participate in their conversations about fantasy novels and Fallout and all the other dorky poo poo they were going on about, so I eventually it was decided that I was not a Culture Fit. At least one of them audibly clenched his anus about brace placement, so probably for the best.

Also proof positive that your code grunts under management level should have limited input in the hiring process.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

poty posted:

like it was the whole morning, ended right at lunchtime and i didnt get invited to go have lunch with them

poty posted:

its an even worse sign than usual because im not from the city they loving flew me in lol

lmao that's loving ice cold

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jre posted:

lmao that's loving ice cold

Welp lol

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

poty posted:

hah this happened to me recently

even worse, they were interviewing several other people for other positions that day, who I met when I arrived.

They all got invited to lunch and I didn't :/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

meatpotato posted:

even worse, they were interviewing several other people for other positions that day, who I met when I arrived.

They all got invited to lunch and I didn't :/
ee-yowch

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
that one is still a bit of a frustrating mystery --I got a call back from them a few months later asking if I wanted to consult for them as a contractor on several projects, which was cool and what I wanted more than full-time anyway so I submitted babby's first bid

they emailed me back a week later saying they went with somebody else
they didn't say why or try to negotiate or anything... I asked politely too but got stonewalled

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

lmao, it's been part of my interview training to be courteous even if you think the candidate isn't up to it because they'll tell other more qualified people if you were a bunch of cunts to them

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jre posted:

lmao, it's been part of my interview training to be courteous even if you think the candidate isn't up to it because they'll tell other more qualified people if you were a bunch of cunts to them

This is so loving true. Be nice, don't make the interview unfair, and people are way less likely to talk poo poo on you on glassdoor.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

That's the one thing I never figured out. Any other team in another business uses chat or email or goes to a conference room and are fine just CC'ing other people. These folks (at least in the main office -- satellite offices are fine) really do everything face to face. This is a ~1000 employees company, with maybe 400 developers. I receive nearly no e-mail aside from people telling others that their tires are flat in the parking lot or that a phone has been found on floor 4. They otherwise use Skype for Business for conference calls (every room has giant microsoft surfaces) but most people don't really use them aside as a way to e-mail their whiteboard drawings to each other.

So I can call into the meeting rooms, but I have to be aware there is one first. They seem to be mostly improvised, or the schedule is known by tribal knowledge which you can't get if you're not there.

I've never really seen that kind of thing before at a tech company. If they ever get in a big lawsuit, there's gonna be nearly nothing but kanban boards to subpoena!

That's really made "being the sole remote employee" a lot harder than what it would have been in any other company. I ended up being more focused on their satellite offices because they see the same problems with regards to the mothership, so they're more open to non-face-to-face communication to begin with.

dude you are turbo-hosed

i would be looking for a new job already, because the first time someone is looking to cut payroll, your rear end is grass

• 100% remote
  • high rank/pay, but no reports
  • nobody uses conference calls
  • high value placed on face to face interaction
  • all critical employees are in a single office

you put your dick in the beehive on this one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

InfrastructureWeek posted:

i'm not flying 4+ hours in coach

that's just a bad look. if you treat candidates this badly, what are you doing to your employees?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not flying 4+ hours in coach

lmao

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

By the value they put on face to face meetings, it sounds like nobody there actually does anything much productive.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dude you are turbo-hosed

i would be looking for a new job already, because the first time someone is looking to cut payroll, your rear end is grass

• 100% remote
  • high rank/pay, but no reports
  • nobody uses conference calls
  • high value placed on face to face interaction
  • all critical employees are in a single office

Eh no it's not so bad. I'm involved in 3 high-profile projects and provide training & recruiting in one full office as well. I get some meetings, but only those where I'm actually necessary and won't be sitting alone doing jack poo poo. I'm not extremely worried, but wouldn't expect them to keep me for a million years either, which is fine.

Also at this point I'm not too worries about cutting payroll. They've been growing their market nearly 30% a year for over 10 years non-stop. When it stabilizes and stalls I'll see, but something tells me people, corporations, and governments investing in security and surveillance is not going to become an irrelevant market in a couple of weeks.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nbsd wrong again?? who could have foreseen this

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

"yeah...we only communicate 'face-to-face.' that's totally the reason we haven't been bothering to email/call in that rear end in a top hat who won't come into the office. because we don't do that here, and not because we all generally don't like him or really consider him part of the company. it's because we just have such a weird culture and have never heard of this 'electronic-mail' stuff at this tech company."

*emails all coworkers to complain about that useless piece of poo poo again*

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you had to use skype for business you would also avoid contacting anyone whatsoever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

Eh no it's not so bad. I'm involved in [...] training & recruiting in one full office as well.

this is another red flag

you are deep in the danger zone, son

MononcQc posted:

Also at this point I'm not too worries about cutting payroll. They've been growing their market nearly 30% a year for over 10 years non-stop. When it stabilizes and stalls I'll see, but something tells me people, corporations, and governments investing in security and surveillance is not going to become an irrelevant market in a couple of weeks.

firms are prone to cut dead wood whether or not total payroll costs rise afterwards

every high-dollar 100%-remote do-nothing you cut is potentially two new headcount for your division!

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 29, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
btw i am not trying to be mean mononcqc. your posting is good and i bet you can actually deliver cool and good stuff for your employer

i just want to emphasize you are on thin ice and you should keep a tight focus on actively demonstrating how much cool and good stuff you are delivering!

your job situation is intrinsically precarious and it will take effort to overcome the obstacles set in your way

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

if mononcqc was just some random dude, you would be 100% spot on nbsd

I mean, of course he's only one leadership turnover from being some random dude (and who isn't)

anyway continued goongratulations to everyone getting and making and achieving figgies

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'd like to call out this phrase for special appreciation as well while im here, okay thats all

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

As an aside, and despite not knowing the facts of this one situation, I can definitely believe that there are organisations out there that earnestly believe that F2F interaction is inherently superior to just answering a question over email. It would probably be run by the same sort of people that get confused at why people have a conversation on messenger at work to a guy who is sitting 6ft away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Yeah I always treat it that way (the precariousness and having to demonstrate the value) -- nbsd is right about that. Any employee could benefit to do that[1], but being remote forces you to do it all the time because you do not want to become totally forgotten. Face to face is higher bandwidth, and easier for most people who have a fraction of social capability. It's part for the course and a thing to keep in mind.

If you're remote and people won't talk to you, you have to go talk to them. But I'm fine not going to "let's re-discuss prioritization of sub-tasks A-32" and only being invited to "please help us make sure we designed this protocol right" in terms of meetings. This is easier to do when people publish their work internally company-wide, but these people don't really do it, so you have to go in and ask the teams about some projects, or get involved from day 1.

Training is a bad sign if you're showing basic training like "how to write babbi's first makefile" or "how to use powerpoint" because they're giving you busy work (or maybe training your own replacement), but right now it's "here's a group of 12 people wanting to use <tool you know>, help train them and show them how to ship software with it". The precariousness of that role is limited to a) doing such a good job they never need training again, and b) the org abandoning that tech -- it's closer to consultation which, while short term, can last a decent while in an org with hundreds of engineers.

I would not last very long if this were my first remote job, but I'm at like year 7 of remote work right now and I've seen a few of the patterns around. I'm not too worried and can smell a sinking ship.

[1] That's how you get people up the hierarchy to root for you in perf reviews and to give promotions and raises, particularly when Remote, but even when local. Since you can't advocate for yourself behind the closed doors of directors and/or managers giving reviews, your best way forward is to have any single one of them (hopefully not one seen as an idiot) push on your behalf without being prompted to other managers and/or directors. If you don't have that relationship, you'll never have a promotion outside of union rules if any.

• Locked thread