Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Immanentized posted:

They're not, and if you pay attention, they don't actually use a whole lotta scripture when they preach.
From the perspective of an outside observer, it's difficult to accept one sect's rejection of another sect's variant of the faith. While you may have arguments that the other does not adhere to the tenants of the theology as you understand them, they surely would argue the same of you and have equal if not greater numbers of followers. And, again from the perspective of an outside observer, all variants of the faith pick and choose slices of the literature that they then place their own differing interpretations on.

Which isn't to say that televangelists are anything but pure, exploitative evil—just that the factious nature of the faith community is perplexingly bizarre when you're not raised to accept one variant as the capital-T Truth over literally dozens of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

From the perspective of an outside observer, it's difficult to accept one sect's rejection of another sect's variant of the faith. While you may have arguments that the other does not adhere to the tenants of the theology as you understand them, they surely would argue the same of you and have equal if not greater numbers of followers. And, again from the perspective of an outside observer, all variants of the faith pick and choose slices of the literature that they then place their own differing interpretations on.

Which isn't to say that televangelists are anything but pure, exploitative evil—just that the factious nature of the faith community is perplexingly bizarre when you're not raised to accept one variant as the capital-T Truth over literally dozens of others.

My bad if I wasn't up front about that. It isn't me speaking as a Catholic, I'm not one to judge the teleology of sermons and validity of any individual faith.
I'm speaking of the tactic used by the majority of the Prosperity Gospel preachers actively avoid anything directly related to scripture or reference materials because they know that their congregations have copies of the Bible at home. When I was in grad school, they had an elective for Professional Speaking, and how to sell your ideas, and the firm that ran the lectures loved bringing up Prosperity Preachers of an example of selling enthusiasm and feel-think than anything with actual coherency.

e: TL;DR It's not the faith, or the message really, it's the persuasive techniques used by guys like this to eke money out of super vulnerable people- the lack of scripture and direct reference to a coherent faith isn't a lack of a theology- it's a fuzzy boundary that can be internalized by a huge swathe of people at once.

I really want to avoid coming across as a guy making GBS threads on other people's faiths, which is kinda hard to do with this situation- I'm trying to target the preachers specifically, and the people in the ministries that enable the abuse.

Original reply:
Guys like that put up a good front, and let the lay people take on and handle the spiritual ministry part, while they set an example of how the lifestyle pays off.
Straight up Prosperity Gospel Ministries are uniformly evil, and make their bones off the most desperate people. The vast, vast majority of their funding comes from the humblest people they got, with varying layers of suckers paying into a well-heeled enabler class, with the preacher-figure living up top in a mansion with all the trappings of a monarch.
They're so infamous and well known to be massive, massive liability pits to financial institutions that a good chunk of them rely on local or home-rolled financial services to avoid any undue influence- and a huge chunk of the communal giving stuff is to spread money around to that enabler class for their continued assistance in keeping the cash tap open.

It's really similar to what Trump did when he exited proper real estate development and focused on selling the Trump brand less as an actual commodity, but a general feeling that goes with a certain way of living. It's all projection

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 29, 2017

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Megachurches cure cancer.

Fixed PRAISE JEBUS

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I hope God is real and that people that use the bible to justify their lovely actions burn in hell, but he isn't and there will be no justice in the afterlife because their isn't one.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Matthew 6.

If you want to weed out the poo poo christians, find the ones that don't know what Matthew 6 means. Sermon on the Mount. Basically Jesus saying pray in private and not to seek attention for charity and don't be a pious dick.

Read it, then ask your favorite "christian" what it means to them, if they even know what it means.

Thanks, catholic upbringing!

E: festival of my own dumb

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 29, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lmao i'm so glad I grew up in a time and place where everyone just thought of christians as mostly harmless oddballs

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Matthew 6.

If you want to weed out the poo poo christians, find the ones that don't know what Matthew 6 means. Sermon on the Mount. Basically Jesus saying pray in private and not to seek attention for charity and don't be a pious dick.

Read it, then ask your favorite "christian" what it means to them, if they even know what it means.

Matthew 25:31-46 is my favorite bit of practical ethics.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Matthew 6.

These are the same Catholics that have constant masses and spent centuries building enormous monuments to prove they're more Christian than the next town over? Seems like a reread of the gospels might be in order.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This guy has stolen two county buses this month. Two.

https://www.bigislandwatch.com/2017/08/28/bus-thief-at-it-again-steals-second-hele-on-bus/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tremblay posted:

Got it. nope don't have it. In your cop hypothetical we just roast the bastard because it's Tuesday? Is the cop black? Mexican? Does that matter?

Yes

...or maybe no.

I'm just gonna say you win. No such thing as racism in the system at all.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

These are the same Catholics that have constant masses and spent centuries building enormous monuments to prove they're more Christian than the next town over? Seems like a reread of the gospels might be in order.

Didn't say I stayed catholic. My mother took it seriously so I got to read a lot of the big rear end catholic bible when I was young.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Woo church chat!

I was raised Wesleyan (think methodist but stricter). The modern American evangelical movement is the fuckin worst. Osteen, Dollar and countless others preaching prosperity and hate for gays, Muslims, atheists ignores the most basic teachings of Jesus. "Judge not lest ye be judged." "All men are equal in the eyes of the Lord."

When was the last time you saw an evangelical actively try to be like Jesus?

gently caress em

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
The story about the Trump tower in Moscow development project, with potential Putin involvement just got a little more interesting:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-28/lawyer-says-he-discussed-moscow-tower-plan-with-trump-3-times

It wasn't a one off communication, but rather a repeated exchange of information and requests, that was only ended pretty late into the actual campaign.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

dubzee posted:

Woo church chat!

I was raised Wesleyan (think methodist but stricter). The modern American evangelical movement is the fuckin worst. Osteen, Dollar and countless others preaching prosperity and hate for gays, Muslims, atheists ignores the most basic teachings of Jesus. "Judge not lest ye be judged." "All men are equal in the eyes of the Lord."

gently caress em

I'm not Roman Catholic anymore but I was raised in The Religion, and Pope Francis is the most decent Pope we've had for quite a while. JPII and Benedict both had failings, Benedict much more than JPII but at least Benedict was a placeholder pope.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

I absolutely agree. Not a fan of organized religion anymore, but New Pope owns.

He's walking the walk, and I have infinite respect for that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I was raised Episcopalian/Anglican (or Church of England if you wanna be a dick about it). It wasn't too bad, everyone was super liberal for the most part, we did a ton of charity and community work. It had it's issues like any organized religion but I'd like to think they stuck pretty close to Jesus' message most of the time.

I remember when we had our first openly gay bishop and it seemed like most of my church didn't give a poo poo. Only people who seemingly gave a poo poo were culture warriors and a few congregations in the deep south.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Immanentized posted:

The story about the Trump tower in Moscow development project, with potential Putin involvement just got a little more interesting:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-28/lawyer-says-he-discussed-moscow-tower-plan-with-trump-3-times

It wasn't a one off communication, but rather a repeated exchange of information and requests, that was only ended pretty late into the actual campaign.

Ended? Or switched to more secure channels...

I was raised Mormon, but am mostly agnostic/humanist now.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

dubzee posted:

Woo church chat!

gently caress em

Chris Stroop (former Evangelical) has some interesting articles about why Evangelicals support Trump as well as a movement to get Evangelicals to leave in protest: https://chrisstroop.com/2017/08/18/emptythepews-if-you-attend-a-trumpist-church-its-time-to-leave-in-protest/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Ended? Or switched to more secure channels...

I was raised Mormon, but am mostly agnostic/humanist now.

whats humanist

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Only went to church (Presbyterian) once in my life :twisted:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

"I freaking love SCIENCE!!!!"

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

A donation in your name has been made to The Human Fund.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Ruh roh!

https://twitter.com/BrazoriaCounty/status/902539081841827842

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hail Sagan.

at the date posted:

"I freaking love SCIENCE!!!!"

Pretty much.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

At its most basic, valuing people and their agency in the world more than that of supernatural forces.

The humanistiest quote:

Robert Ardrey posted:

But we were born of risen apes, not fallen angels, and the apes were armed killers besides. And so what shall we wonder at? Our murders and massacres and missiles, and our irreconcilable regiments? Or our treaties whatever they may be worth; our symphonies however seldom they may be played; our peaceful acres, however frequently they may be converted into battlefields; our dreams however rarely they may be accomplished. The miracle of man is not how far he has sunk but how magnificently he has risen. We are known among the stars by our poems, not our corpses.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddpl1zl5sYg

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Darius McCollum's way of life is spreading.
Edit: if you've somehow never heard of New York's famous train and bus "thief".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/12/darius-mccollum-train-thief-dreams-new-york-transit

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 29, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/902507855584092160

Yes, this is the president of the United States confessing to sabotage.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Levee breach just due South of Houston.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...twitter-premium

Harvey now a record-breaker.

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/902553296765947904

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Clicked that link about Darius McCollum and stumbled upon this.

Lurid Drumpf allegations made by Louise Mensch and co-writer came from hoaxer

:lol: at anyone who ever takes her or Claude Taylor seriously ever again.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/902507855584092160

Yes, this is the president of the United States confessing to sabotage.

That's not really his decision to make, right? His job is picking who fills the slots, not whether or not the slots should exist, Congress created the positions.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oh hey Tony Perkins got hosed by the storm's Louisiana branch. If you don't know Tony Perkins:

Louisiana floods destroy home of Christian leader who says God sends natural disasters to punish gay people

He has also claimed that paedophilia is a 'homosexual problem'

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hahaha omg nope nope nope

https://twitter.com/The_Reliant/status/902536760038711296

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

If ever there was a time to dump oil in the river then that would be it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

my kinda ape posted:

If ever there was a time to dump oil in the river then that would be it. we

And the oil should be on fire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Devos' brother, head of Blackwater, was implicated that he killed employees in order to prevent a Government investigation, as well as ran a campaign to kill as many Muslims as possible as part of a Evangelical Christian Crusade.

https://www.thenation.com/article/blackwater-founder-implicated-murder/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Periscope stream of the newly rising flood waters after the levee breach.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1LyxBEEwjBzJN

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
We're going to rebuild that levee and make Mexico pay for it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

Devos' brother, head of Blackwater, was implicated that he killed employees in order to prevent a Government investigation, as well as ran a campaign to kill as many Muslims as possible as part of a Evangelical Christian Crusade.

https://www.thenation.com/article/blackwater-founder-implicated-murder/

Gonna guess they pick up lots of people who get kicked out during basic for being obnoxiously racist in front of the wrong people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

We're going to rebuild that levee and make Mexico pay for it
"Well actually the Mexicans just showed up with food and medicine to distribu..."
"Tell those murderers and rapists they can't come in! They didn't send their best! SAD! Prepare to drop MAGA hats and election maps on my signal!"

• Locked thread