Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sentient Data posted:

Any word on if there was/will be a patch on the ps4 that lets you use keyboard/mouse? I rented it for a day from redbox a few weeks ago, but the game doesn't feel right at all on a ds4

Not a chance.

DelphiAegis posted:

I waived this game off as my computer is a piece of poo poo, and surprisingly the demo runs moderately well. I am stunned.

Time to wait for another sale though. :( I'd go back to play SS2 but I just can't after this, even if it was just the demo. God drat.

Demo's great. You can spend hours exploring the nooks and crannies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

So is my L key permanently locked to that stupid satellite? I'm tired of having to go into my inventory to listen to transcribes.

Yup. You might as well just go and use them up right now so you don't have to deal with that and also so that you don't accidentally summon a nightmare right to yourself by pressing the wrong key.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cojawfee posted:

So is my L key permanently locked to that stupid satellite? I'm tired of having to go into my inventory to listen to transcribes.
Go into space and hit L twice (once to listen to each message) then go back in. It'll play the audio but not use up the charge, since the nightmare can't be summoned in space, and then your L key will work normally from then on. Best time to do this is right after getting the quest finished.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Not a chance.

Demo's great. You can spend hours exploring the nooks and crannies.

"Prey Demo: 7 hours on record" Yeah, it's pretty much everything you'd ever want in a demo since it's essentially the full game with a gate to the full game (and any progression at all) locked behind the paywall.

I'm guessing I can't get the "General Access" or the keycard for the office in the Trauma bay in the demo though...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DelphiAegis posted:

I'm guessing I can't get the "General Access" or the keycard for the office in the Trauma bay in the demo though...

No, but some dedicated nutjobs managed to unlock it with the boltcaster. Bounced bolts onto the monitor off a well placed GLOO ball, iirc

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DelphiAegis posted:

I waived this game off as my computer is a piece of poo poo, and surprisingly the demo runs moderately well. I am stunned.

Time to wait for another sale though. :( I'd go back to play SS2 but I just can't after this, even if it was just the demo. God drat.

The game is pretty well optimised. Reviews I've seen that tested it on multiple rigs found silky consistency, and on high end rigs no drop beneath 90 fps. Some guy on Reddit was experimenting with ancient computers and the game and got it running on some ancient poo poo (albeit at bad frame rates)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It runs pretty well on my old 660ti, although it looks like poo poo and has comically bad pop in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

StringOfLetters posted:

That's not quite my logic. The HBC is a nerf gun that an engineer put together on their own time. There are probably Gloo guns on Earth, too. Calvino is the guy who invented the Looking Glass, and there's a whole Looking Glass Laboratory which takes up extremely expensive space station floor-space.

Also Calvino doesn't know about dangerous things, but Calvino is also experiencing severe memory loss - possibly because of multiple neuromod mind-wipes. Also in a psychiatrist's log, Calvino mentions that he has dreams of a hungry alien entity trying to reach through a Looking Glass screen.

The Looking Glass technology has its own lab because it was developed for the simulation program that Morgan was put in. It seems to need a ton of computing hardware and a fancy camera, but there's nothing to indicate that there's anything particularly alien or extradimensional about it.

Floor-space on the station doesn't seem to be particularly expensive; there's a huge arboretum with an excessively large ceiling, an enormous 2-story dining facility, a big pool area that takes up 2 floors for seemingly no reason, etc.

And the fact that Calvino seems to have undergone neuromod-wiping suggests that the looking glass can't possibly rely on the kind of technology that would cause Alex to remove Calvino's neuromods. How does the lead engineer of the looking glass project know how to build a small-scale version of the looking glass in his room without knowledge of the materials that go into that technology? The answer is that the technology doesn't use any particularly extraordinary materials.

Everyone seems to be seeing the Apex Typhon through various glasses, but only Calvino specifies that it's the looking glass in his case; that's likely just because he's the looking glass engineer. Seeing the Apex Typhon in a dream shouldn't be interpreted as the Looking Glass having interdimensional properties..

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
PREVIOUSLY: Oh poo poo, I'm so hosed aren't I?

COUPLE HOURS LATER: Oh it's Nightmare 20 feet in front of me as soon as I enter greenhouse land, waiting around by the corpse of his friend, Nightmare.

I appreciate the incentive to use all this ammo I've been hoarding and refusing to use on mimics and basic phantoms.

Because things would be such a drag if he was a contractually immortal jumpscare monster. Particularly with how I love to take my sweet time poking around. I'm only injecting myself with Psyshock 2 because you're a pain in my rear end, and I already had a bit over 100 Exotic materials before he started showing up. Don't make me use these needles Nightmare, think of your family.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 29, 2017

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

DelphiAegis posted:

This game is amazingly well-optimized. It's on the same level as Metal Gear Solid V and Mad Max.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

QuarkJets posted:

The Looking Glass technology has its own lab because it was developed for the simulation program that Morgan was put in. It seems to need a ton of computing hardware and a fancy camera, but there's nothing to indicate that there's anything particularly alien or extradimensional about it.

Floor-space on the station doesn't seem to be particularly expensive; there's a huge arboretum with an excessively large ceiling, an enormous 2-story dining facility, a big pool area that takes up 2 floors for seemingly no reason, etc.

And the fact that Calvino seems to have undergone neuromod-wiping suggests that the looking glass can't possibly rely on the kind of technology that would cause Alex to remove Calvino's neuromods. How does the lead engineer of the looking glass project know how to build a small-scale version of the looking glass in his room without knowledge of the materials that go into that technology? The answer is that the technology doesn't use any particularly extraordinary materials.

Yeah okay, that follows, you're probably right.

Also, this game is a bit more fun when you don't hoard things. It's quite generous about letting you find more useful poo poo scattered around everywhere, and eventually recycle&replicate more of every ammo type.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 29, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It could be that the looking glass tech is largely based on nanotech thats only allowed spaceside, that would explain why its being developed in space. Access to recyler and fabrication tech is probably a big deal for development of lots of technical projects, even if you could eventually figure out earth safe industrial methods to build it.

Its a 3d printer that prints complete and fully functional components!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bought this during the recent steam sale, and just started playing. Seems fun. I picked up recycle and necropsy. Recycled everything I could, and used the crafter thing to make about 15 neuromods. I threw them into leverage 3, and now my main combat method is throwing couches at enemies for 100 damage, so that is fun. Also have hacking 2, and the first inventory size boost.

Just got to the point where I have to go out of an airlock to loot some dead nerd's corpse. I wonder if I can chuck couches in zero-g.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Couch-fu is a viable martial art in all gravity levels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Thanks for the tip on using those files in space. Now I can use my transcribe again, though, probably too little too late. I just got the achievement for looking at every email, so I'm probably done with transcribes. I've really enjoyed this game so far, with just a few nitpicks. It seems like I've hit a couple glitches where it will just pop up with various things. Like I'm just walking around a room I've been in several times before and it says I've found a new keypad code. Or I'm just looking through a desk and then it says the nightmare is hunting me and then I've completed the objective and the nightmare is gone in less than a second. Maybe it's all the save scumming I do.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Couch-fu is a viable martial art in all gravity levels.
Nice. Does sneak attack worth with couch chucking? I haven't picked that up yet. 250% damage for surprise sofa sounds even better. It already does a lot of damage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Nice. Does sneak attack worth with couch chucking? I haven't picked that up yet. 250% damage for surprise sofa sounds even better. It already does a lot of damage.

As a huge fan of Leverage and reployers-to-the-face, just remember that eventually you'll want a replacement weapon skillset, be it improving your guns, your psi, or both. Eventually Leverage starts becoming pretty clunky, but its great early game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sneak attack does work with couch-throwing

But I wouldn't spend points on improving sneak attack, instead Ravenfood has good advice: be sure to invest in an alternative

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Ravenfood posted:

As a huge fan of Leverage and reployers-to-the-face, just remember that eventually you'll want a replacement weapon skillset, be it improving your guns, your psi, or both. Eventually Leverage starts becoming pretty clunky, but its great early game.

Maxed out leverage and maxed out remote manipulation seems like an awesome combo. No need to clunkily carry reployers everywhere, just use the force to grab them from a distance and throw that poo poo at the enemy.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I made it to the fabricator in Deep Storage but managed to alert the telepath somehow and now I can't do anything with it unless I kill a complete bullet sponge enemy. Which I can't do since I have no ammo or anything really.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Do you have any nullwave grenades? Or the psychoshock ability?

Or the q-beam?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Do you have any nullwave grenades? Or the psychoshock ability?

Or the q-beam?

I find myself often bringing out the Q-Beam or spamming the pistol to finish the job even with my fancy shotgun, due to their love of "gently caress this, I'm going to float directly upwards/out over a balcony" until my Shotgun is only dealing like, 10 damage.

If you are trying to kill it entirely with the Q-beam, but don't have fancy powers or grenades to disable it's abilities, watch out for it's attacks that will interrupt and force you to reload your Q-beam.

Ravenfood posted:

They must really hand out mods like candy in any department. Even the Janitorial staff needs at least leverage 2 to do their job pushing wheeled laundry carts :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can also disable their abilities with the stun gun, which lets you blast them with the q beam

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I only have the Pistol and the Shotgun (so really just the pistol), and I'm trying to go just Human powers. I can't actually fabricate enough ammo to kill the loving thing anyway so it's a moot point.

I seriously have to reload and go to find a fabricator and recycler that aren't being camped by a bullet sponge. I can't even really explore this area until I kill the thing unless I want to run away all the time.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 30, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably the easiest way to kill a telepath is to use a turret. Turns out turrets aren't particularly put off by mind rending psychic energy, owing to not having minds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I beat the game, I didn't get the full effect, since unwantedplatypus blurted out the ending without spoiler tags earlier in the thread. It was still pretty cool though. Kind of want to play it some more over the next few months to get some more achievements.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh drat I would have mentioned if I'd spotted a spoiler fail.

E- Unggg everyone should get platinum.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 30, 2017

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just got this game, and it's neat. That's all there is to say, it's really neat :3:

The difficulty is really all over the place though. Mimics are hilariously non-threatening while Phantoms just nuke me in seconds sometimes. Guns kinda suck rear end, too, unless you've GLOOed em.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I beat the game, I didn't get the full effect, since unwantedplatypus blurted out the ending without spoiler tags earlier in the thread. It was still pretty cool though. Kind of want to play it some more over the next few months to get some more achievements.

I mean, if you don't want spoilers then don't read the thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

Or just don't be a douche, and put things in spoiler tags.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I bought this game because of all the positive reviews and after playing far enough to reactivate the main elevator I am uninstalling it because I have played this game before. This is just bad Bioshock prop hunt.

A Scientist's paradise (Rapture)(Talos) is destroyed after experiments with something they didn't fully understand goes haywire (Adam)(Typhon). A clean slate with a fabricated backstory appears on the scene to end the situation(Jack)(Morgan). Along the way you are contacted over communication by the leader of the paradise that you are related to(Ryan)(Alex) as well as a assistant with a rash ideology (Atlas)(January).

The enemies are more annoying than threatening. The game has no consistency with what is being said/seen and what is happening. The weapon selection is total loving garbage and the game's gimmick gun is a glue gun. The game absolutely had to exclude normal conventional weapons because of how simple the enemy is. If you want to nullify a rifle go do what Dead Space did and make the weapon less effective because of how the enemy functions. You can't even use the excuse that a space station would not have rifles when they show the alien entity has been present for decades and has breached containment and killed the crew once before. On top of the addition that everything on Talos is loving flammable and you can start a fire by kicking a can down a hallway the whole setting makes no sense. The lore entries contradict themselves by saying Talos has made massive advancements in understanding the Typhon and then states that they know nothing about what they are made of or even how they function. The Mimic teleports to an alternate universe to grab a prop and move it to our dimension so it can jump at us? Why do the props loving move all over the place, why does the mimic take damage if I shoot the prop? The Story is poo poo. The weapons are boring and terrible. The enemies are just annoying.

What the hell did you all see in this game other than "It runs great on my X".

The original Prey game with Indian man fighting in a alien mothership that is actively abducting and slaughtering people was loving worlds better than this garbage. I got robbed.

Lastly. How the gently caress did I build multiple AI robots AFTER my memories got reset and stuck into a loop of apartment bullshit and be aware of anything that was going on. January can't exist from the onset.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I just got this game, and it's neat. That's all there is to say, it's really neat :3:

The difficulty is really all over the place though. Mimics are hilariously non-threatening while Phantoms just nuke me in seconds sometimes. Guns kinda suck rear end, too, unless you've GLOOed em.

The gun power curve goes exponential with upgrades. A fully-upgraded shotgun 1-shots phantoms, 2-shots better phantoms, and 3-shots elemental phantoms. The fully-upgraded q-beam disintegrates anything bigger than that, and the fully-upgraded stun gun keeps things disabled for so long that you can shotgun them down easily

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

I wouldn't recommend anyone read a thread for a game they haven't finished yet (specifically because of people like you) but maybe don't get flippant about posting ending spoilers without tags eh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Drinkfist posted:

I bought this game because of all the positive reviews and after playing far enough to reactivate the main elevator I am uninstalling it because I have played this game before. This is just bad Bioshock prop hunt.

A Scientist's paradise (Rapture)(Talos) is destroyed after experiments with something they didn't fully understand goes haywire (Adam)(Typhon). A clean slate with a fabricated backstory appears on the scene to end the situation(Jack)(Morgan). Along the way you are contacted over communication by the leader of the paradise that you are related to(Ryan)(Alex) as well as a assistant with a rash ideology (Atlas)(January).

The enemies are more annoying than threatening. The game has no consistency with what is being said/seen and what is happening. The weapon selection is total loving garbage and the game's gimmick gun is a glue gun. The game absolutely had to exclude normal conventional weapons because of how simple the enemy is. If you want to nullify a rifle go do what Dead Space did and make the weapon less effective because of how the enemy functions. You can't even use the excuse that a space station would not have rifles when they show the alien entity has been present for decades and has breached containment and killed the crew once before. On top of the addition that everything on Talos is loving flammable and you can start a fire by kicking a can down a hallway the whole setting makes no sense. The lore entries contradict themselves by saying Talos has made massive advancements in understanding the Typhon and then states that they know nothing about what they are made of or even how they function. The Mimic teleports to an alternate universe to grab a prop and move it to our dimension so it can jump at us? Why do the props loving move all over the place, why does the mimic take damage if I shoot the prop? The Story is poo poo. The weapons are boring and terrible. The enemies are just annoying.

The original Prey game with Indian man fighting in a alien mothership that is actively abducting and slaughtering people was loving worlds better than this garbage. I got robbed.

Lastly. How the gently caress did I build multiple AI robots AFTER my memories got reset and stuck into a loop of apartment bullshit and be aware of anything that was going on. January can't exist from the onset.

If you think the GLOO gun is the gimmick gun, you haven't seen all the guns. And conventional weapons aren't in the game for a canonical reason. If you play through the game, it addresses a lot of your issues. But if you aren't having fun, there's no point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OH poo poo A WRONG PERSON I MUST FIGHT THEM

Drinkfist posted:

A Scientist's paradise (Rapture)(Talos) is destroyed after experiments with something they didn't fully understand goes haywire (Adam)(Typhon).

Talos collapses because a hostile alien organism breaks containment. Rapture collapses because it was founded on "gently caress you got mine" idiot libertarian principles. The powers in Bioshock were auxillary to Rapture's collapse but not necessary for it.

Also, Ryan was not a scientist, he was an idiot libertarian with money.

quote:

A clean slate with a fabricated backstory appears on the scene to end the situation(Jack)(Morgan). Along the way you are contacted over communication by the leader of the paradise that you are related to(Ryan)(Alex) as well as a assistant with a rash ideology (Atlas)(January).

The first one's true, but I see that as both games playing homage to System Shock 1 and 2. The other theories here have several problems. You could claim that Spec Ops: The Line fits this same mold, but obviously the story and gameplay of that game is drastically different from Bioshock and System Shock.

quote:

The enemies are more annoying than threatening. The game has no consistency with what is being said/seen and what is happening. The weapon selection is total loving garbage and the game's gimmick gun is a glue gun. The game absolutely had to exclude normal conventional weapons because of how simple the enemy is.

Conventional weapons like pistols and shotguns? Because the game has those. The Q-Beam even functions as an effective "Rifle", with upgrades, since that seems to be a sticking point for you.

quote:

If you want to nullify a rifle go do what Dead Space did and make the weapon less effective because of how the enemy functions.

Wait, Dead Space is your example of a game with a good choice of conventional weapons? Uhh....

quote:

You can't even use the excuse that a space station would not have rifles when they show the alien entity has been present for decades and has breached containment and killed the crew once before.

This is actually an important plot point

quote:

On top of the addition that everything on Talos is loving flammable and you can start a fire by kicking a can down a hallway the whole setting makes no sense. The lore entries contradict themselves by saying Talos has made massive advancements in understanding the Typhon and then states that they know nothing about what they are made of or even how they function. The Mimic teleports to an alternate universe to grab a prop and move it to our dimension so it can jump at us? Why do the props loving move all over the place, why does the mimic take damage if I shoot the prop? The Story is poo poo. The weapons are boring and terrible. The enemies are just annoying.

Those are theories posited by scientists in psychotronics, and later you see that they basically rule those out and throw their hands in the air. Yes, the Typhon are not well-understood; what technology has been derived from them is empirical. There's nothing wrong with this.

quote:

I don't know man, maybe it's just not for you. Fundamentally, it's the System Shock successor that Bioshock failed to become, but it sounds like you don't want to play a game like System Shock, you want something more like Bioshock. That's fine. Some of your opinions are misinformed, but if the gameplay doesn't grab you then the gameplay doesn't grab you. It has obviously grabbed a lot of other people

quote:

This is explained in the game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

It's like somebody just took all the wrong in the world and condensed it into one post.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Justin_Brett posted:

I only have the Pistol and the Shotgun (so really just the pistol), and I'm trying to go just Human powers. I can't actually fabricate enough ammo to kill the loving thing anyway so it's a moot point.

I dont understand. How? How have you gotten so close to the end game while also so incredibly underequipped? WHERE is your stun gun? WHERE is your qbeam? Where is your gloo gun? Where are your nullwave grenades? How are you possibly so low on ammo on a human only run?

None of this makes any sense, but "dont go into deep storage until you do some more of the rest of the game since you skipped like 90% of it" is probably good advice here. You should pretty much be a god of death by the time you get to that point.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 30, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

maybe they didn't explore, just went from objective marker to objective marker? but yeah, it's very weird, human only is arguably the most op build in the game.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 30, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Doing just the major quests in order will actually you a stun gun before you reach deep storage so its even weirder than that.

And of course if you do the other quests you end up getting at least the GUTS qbeam but I suppose if hes absolutely refusing to look at the stuff right in front him he might not even be picking up the quests?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cojawfee posted:

Please report people who post untagged spoilers, they will be punished.

unwantedplatypus posted:

No, many great games that fly under people's radar find their audiences thanks to threads on the forums. This is one of those games, don't post spoilers. It's also a game where player choice matters and much of its equipment/side-content is optional so of course people want to discuss these things with others while their playthroughs are still ongoing.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 30, 2017