Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And More posted:

I think it's charming. Just old David Lynch sitting in front of his old computer and slowly photoshopping the pattern on Diane's dress so it wiggles back and forth, and then he adds in the rattlesnake sound and goes: "THAT'LL SCARE THE DICKENS OUT OF 'EM."

ok I like it a lot more when I picture it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

And More posted:

I think it's charming. Just old David Lynch sitting in front of his old computer and slowly photoshopping the pattern on Diane's dress so it wiggles back and forth, and then he adds in the rattlesnake sound and goes: "THAT'LL SCARE THE DICKENS OUT OF 'EM."

I too can only picture David Lynch talking like Gordon Cole

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The special effects are one of the elements of the show that are pure Lynch absurdism. He's been working DIY with software for the past 15 years at least. The old davidlynch.com (RIP) had a ton of Flash animations, etc. that presaged what he's doing in Twin Peaks now. Not to mention stuff like the special effects in Inland Empire, the short he made for OneDreamRush, etc.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm going to be anime guy now and say that the black lodge effects reminded me of the "barriers" Madoka Magica. It works because it's unreal looking and totally unlike the otherwise completely realistic style of the rest of the story. Diane disintegrating looked like some kind of paper cutout stop motion kids' cartoon. The copy is supposed to be two dimensional and fake, so it makes sense that the way they show their real self makes them look like they're made of cheap cardboard.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

^^^^^ that's a great example.

Not to mention the Bacon and Magritte paintings, Magritte's in particular have brushstrokes similar to the aesthetic of the floating seeds/red curtains. The gold seed in the magritte was larger though, like a tennis ball.

I was surprised at the effects the first scene that had them, after noticing it was just more moving paintings from Lynch I settled back into it and never thought about it again.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Bibendum posted:

Speaking of the fight in the bar at the end of this episode, did anyone else notice or think anything of the person(Monique?) saying "Ed?" (it wasn't subtitled) right before the bottle smash? Dude was wearing a canvas jacket and jeans and had a bit of the high and tight like Big Ed but the voice seemed way different.

I would swear that was Bobby Briggs. But he says, "That's my wife!" and Shelly's not there. So, I have no idea. Still looks like Bobby, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I too can only picture David Lynch talking like Gordon Cole

He literally does though. The only difference between day-to-day Lynch and Gordon Cole is that David Lynch is more soft spoken.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

Bad Coop seems to love to stick the middle finger to people so I read everything he does as that. He doesn't seem to in as much control as he plays out be. He's really just fumbling through everything. He got real lucky his son followed him so he had a pig to use. Got lucky Ray is an idiot twice. Bad luck with his assassins. Bad luck with Diane. Phillip worked him. But what I wanna know is what the gently caress is he looking for or what does he want? He knows Coop is back but he doesn't know he's what he's doing or where he's at. He doesn't communicate with any black lodge people or anything. So what is he looking for? Is BOB still there in him?

Iirc Mike said in one of the episodes that Booper didn't go back into the lodge and that one of him or Cooper must die.

So what he wants is pretty clear. If he kills Cooper, presumably the lodge spirits stop harassing or trying to coerce him back into the lodge because at that point he's the only Coop left so things aren't out of balance any more. But as long as there are two of them one of them either needs to die or get sucked back into the lodge.

Of course Booper did die but got resurrected by the Woodsmen so not all the lodge spirits want him back in I guess.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Wow, hadn't watched the aforementioned short from OneDreamRush in a minute.

Uh.

https://vimeo.com/23020369

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bibendum posted:

Speaking of the fight in the bar at the end of this episode, did anyone else notice or think anything of the person(Monique?) saying "Ed?" (it wasn't subtitled) right before the bottle smash? Dude was wearing a canvas jacket and jeans and had a bit of the high and tight like Big Ed but the voice seemed way different.

that was little Ed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chime_on posted:

Wow, hadn't watched the aforementioned short from OneDreamRush in a minute.

Uh.

https://vimeo.com/23020369

oh poo poo

this also explains that weird effect on Dougie and Diane's faces, it's meant to be like a hatching egg

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

He literally does though. The only difference between day-to-day Lynch and Gordon Cole is that David Lynch is more soft spoken.

Yeah, wasn't there that Naomi Watts interview where she said that Lynch just kinda stands on set with a megaphone and yells at people?

e: yeah 5:30 here, with bonus Lynch impression.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLreaAQA9kA&t=331s

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 29, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've seen behind the scenes footage of Lynch talking to people six feet away from him through a megaphone, it was cool as hell

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheMaestroso posted:

They're absolutely intentional. They look more like sculpture art than people, which adds this feeling of unease and horror at what's being seen. In fact, pretty much every corpse in the show has been like this.

Reminds me of the crime scenes from Hannibal. Shot to accomplish a certain effect with realism as a completely secondary concern.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I'm still holding out hope that the real sheriff Truman returns. I believe! Is it just him and Donna that never came back from the original series?

I guess drawer knob Josie counts too

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love the effects because they a: make great use of Lynch's sculpture, painting, and animation talents and b: are so utterly unconventional that they break the standard language of effects and convey something otherworldly by being thoroughly unexpected and fresh. Not only are they entertaining to watch, but they're artful and creative and meaningful, which puts them head and shoulders above the masses of dully acceptable "normal" effects. If Diane's tulpa had disappeared in a conventional manner, it would've had almost no impact because there's really nothing in the conventional visual language that's, you know, unconventional, and would've given us no new information (however mystifying) about the situation. I love that they break the language, because it short-circuits the part of your brain that you've trained to "read" visual storytelling and produces something that's actually otherworldly. It obviously doesn't work for everyone, but little things like Diane freezing for half a second or how they whip out of the frame are spookier and more dreamlike than anything I've seen in any movie in a long time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love the effects because they a: make great use of Lynch's sculpture, painting, and animation talents and b: are so utterly unconventional that they break the standard language of effects and convey something otherworldly by being thoroughly unexpected and fresh. Not only are they entertaining to watch, but they're artful and creative and meaningful, which puts them head and shoulders above the masses of dully acceptable "normal" effects. If Diane's tulpa had disappeared in a conventional manner, it would've had almost no impact because there's really nothing in the conventional visual language that's, you know, unconventional, and would've given us no new information (however mystifying) about the situation. I love that they break the language, because it short-circuits the part of your brain that you've trained to "read" visual storytelling and produces something that's actually otherworldly. It obviously doesn't work for everyone, but little things like Diane freezing for half a second or how they whip out of the frame are spookier and more dreamlike than anything I've seen in any movie in a long time.

:agreed:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That except they would still be more effective if they didn't look like a child trying out computer graphics for the first time. I dig most of them but stuff like Diane's shuddering just looks amateur as poo poo and no terrible "but it's good because it's not what you expect!!!" argument can cover that up

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

That except they would still be more effective if they didn't look like a child trying out computer graphics for the first time. I dig most of them but stuff like Diane's shuddering just looks amateur as poo poo and no terrible "but it's good because it's not what you expect!!!" argument can cover that up

Except some parts of the effects look quite professional, look at fat Dougie's hand morphing to become smaller. That looks completely real. The "flat" or kusoge-style parts of the effect aren't like that because of low budget or incompetence, but as a design choice.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Escobarbarian posted:

wurx 4 me sory it dunt wurk 4 u : - (

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yeah Diane's shoulder shimmy was actually just trash and even if it was on purpose, it looked really bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

I think a lot of the reason I think it looks "amateurish" or whatever is because the effect is meant to play with your sense of dimension, i.e. things that should be three dimensional all the sudden look and feel two dimensional. I think it's 100% purposeful because the Lodges play into that, we're being visited by entities that seem to be able to traverse other dimensions that we don't yet understand.

zelah posted:

Yeah Diane's shoulder shimmy was actually just trash and even if it was on purpose, it looked really bad.

Pretty sure it's exactly the kind of technique used to make the Red Room scenes so offputting in the original series. The movement is unnatural, and it's supposed to be that way. So you just maybe don't enjoy Lynch's aesthetic but it has nothing to do with the quality of the effects.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
With computer graphic effects in general usually the goal is, or is assumed to be, realism. With Lynch that's not necessarily the case, anymore than that was the goal of practical effects like smoke machines suddenly filling the room with smoke after Diane's suicide in Mulholland Drive.

If you've seen Lynch's paintings and visual art the effects in this season look much like those, and some even appear to be copied directly.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm still holding out hope that the real sheriff Truman returns. I believe! Is it just him and Donna that never came back from the original series?

Pete and Catherine, too. Jack Nance is dead, of course.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 29, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lord Krangdar posted:

With computer graphic effects in general usually the goal is, or is assumed to be, realism. With Lynch that's not necessarily the case, anymore than that was the goal of practical effects like smoke machines suddenly filling the room with smoke after Diane's suicide in Mulholland Drive.

If you've seen Lynch's paintings and visual art the effects in this season look much like those, and some even appear to be copied directly.

Pete and Catherine, too. Jack Nance is dead, of course.

Also Josie and the little man

Man, I still cant believe that Lynch made we wait 16 episodes to give us Cooper, and that it worked so well and was so satisfying. If someone told me a year ago that in the return of twin peaks we would have the long awaited return of Cooper delayed for 80% of the show, while following the adventures of Dougie the Catatonic hero and Bad Cooper the supervilain, I would say they it would be crap. It was so good, though

And Kyle truly deserves all possible awards for his amazing performances with all those characters

edit: vvvvvv idk, one was "the arm", the new one is "the evolution of the arm". I guess it counts as a new character

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 29, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also Josie and the little man

His actor didn't appear but the character did, as with BOB and Jeffries.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Elias_Maluco posted:

Man, I still cant believe that Lynch made we wait 16 episodes to give us Cooper, and that it worked so well and was so satisfying. If someone told me a year ago that in the return of twin peaks we would have the long awaited return of Cooper delayed for 80% of the show, while following the adventures of Dougie the Catatonic hero and Bad Cooper the supervilain, I would say they it would be crap. It was so good, though

I was pretty certain Cooper would be stuck in the lodge until the last episode, and that the show would revolve around finding a way into the lodge to rescue him. I don't think anybody on earth could have predicted Dougie Jones lol

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

Very early on in the first or second episode, he pointedly tells Ray that he doesn't "need" things, he "wants" things. Later he shows the playing card with the symbol of The Mother drawn on it, and before killing Darya explains to her that this is what he wants with more passion in his voice than anything else he's really said since.

But that also doesn't exactly explain why Bad Coop 'wants' that, or what his intentions are for it. We don't even know if that's something DoppelCoop wants, or something BOB wants, or both.

In fact, where Bad Coop ends and Bob begins in that character is something I'm pretty drat curious about, at this point.

This is back a page, but the "I don't need things" lines are word for word from The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. So that part at least is Bob talking, or Bob and booper's interests perfectly aligned. My sense is Bob is the power and booper the ambition (basically what Whindam Earle wanted to be), and booper has more understanding about their enemies within and outside the lodge.

Pigthe
Feb 24, 2006

on an incredible journey

eSporks posted:

Diane is in the sherrif's station, she is not her. Who else in the sherrif's station has white hair?

That's right, Diane is trapped in the dispatcher and she's been listening to voices captured by electronics just like the good ol days.

My implausible theory is that the Diane in the Sheriff's station is trapped inside in the bleeding mouth guy (not Naido) because he just repeats the last thing that he heard like not-yet-awake Cooper

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Polo-Rican posted:

I was pretty certain Cooper would be stuck in the lodge until the last episode, and that the show would revolve around finding a way into the lodge to rescue him. I don't think anybody on earth could have predicted Dougie Jones lol

I dont think anyone on earth could have predicted most of what happened in this show

And speaking of unpredictable, I loved how that when Audrey scene started I was "well I guess she is in reality, after all, unlike what people predicted" and then.. wait what

And the 2 super killers getting murdered by an angry neighbour while the FBI and the Mitchum brothers watch. And Diane's reveal and death. This episode was a big :wtf: from beginning to end

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Pigthe posted:

My implausible theory is that the Diane in the Sheriff's station is trapped inside in the bleeding mouth guy (not Naido) because he just repeats the last thing that he heard like not-yet-awake Cooper

Ewww then that means that Audrey has been bonking Diane

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it's going badly underappreciated that Candie is going to Twin Peaks, possibly to meet Andy and Lucy, and if there is any justice to get adopted by them.

e: not that she isn't in good hands right now, I mean, they have hearts of gold.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I want Candy to get a job at the RR

edit: pls change the thread title to Twin Peaks The Return: FINALLY

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 29, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, they have hearts of gold.

They Do. They Really, Really Do.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i love the drat super mitchum bros

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it's going badly underappreciated that Candie is going to Twin Peaks, possibly to meet Andy and Lucy, and if there is any justice to get adopted by them.

e: not that she isn't in good hands right now, I mean, they have hearts of gold.

The actress who plays Candie has done a really good job. I love her mannerisms.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

My Lovely Horse posted:

the mitchum brothers get adopted by andy and lucy

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Mitchum brothers start dressing in flannel and buy a stake in the great northern and/or jerry's weed business

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely really hope the Mitchums + showgirls end up settling in Twin Peaks. I doubt it'll happen but it would be hilarious

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Mover posted:

The Mitchum brothers start dressing in flannel and buy a stake in the great northern and/or jerry's weed business

This is the best argument for a fourth season I've seen yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Mitchum Brothers go up to 2 peaks and get arrested immediately because although they have hearts of gold, they also have a litany of priors