Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Cryptocurrencies are now using several small countries' worth of electricity to create magic beans.

Or more accurately, cargo-culting a system used to launder money out of China and bypass its currency controls. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ And also eastern europe; it turned out that BTC-e was basically a front for the Russian mob to launder money

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Anybody else seeing a significant increase in nicehash money? I dont know why but my 1080 is staying roughly even to the previous few weeks, but my 1080ti is zooming up to 4.50-5.00 a day. Also I noticed that CPU mining has over doubled. I'm getting .40 a day on my i5 6600k, which isn't bad for 15 watts

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea whatever Skunk is when my 1080tis switch to that it's way more per day, everything else seems roughly the same as it has been for a while now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The cpu mining thing is entirely due to monero.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Hum with the last update over the weekend it now dual mines on its own, which has seemingly increased output while somehow using much less GPU power. I'm only running at 850 mv and 1650 mhz on my 1080ti and its still getting well over $4. I'll take that anyday, its barely hitting 65 degrees and the power limit is in the mid 90's

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's not the update that's earning you more money, it's what people are willing to pay for your hash power. The markets are up, so therefore are your earnings. The markets will drop, and so will your earnings.

Nicehash has had dual miners built in for a year now, you're only noticing it because it's switching algorithms for more profit. Mining ETH alone is no longer the most profitable option for AMD cards.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yeah word on the street i only sell the highest quality hashes

Still not $9 a day but im happy. Too bad that card isnt full time cause of stupid video games

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Well, theres your $4700 btc folks. Looks like 5k will happen after all

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
bbbut Crypto is crashing any day now :argh: I guess I'm going to save my crypto giftcards for volta and a 2080

ed: I bought an appliance off amazon with fake e-money

Paid by Amazon.ca Rewards Visa: CDN$ 123.97
Paid by Gift Certificate: CDN$ 180.00

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 29, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

bbbut Crypto is crashing any day now :argh: I guess I'm going to save my crypto giftcards for volta and a 2080

you'll never fool me like that again GBS/Logic/Reason/Sanity. Mining till the day I die

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

ed: I bought an appliance off amazon with fake e-money

Paid by Amazon.ca Rewards Visa: CDN$ 123.97
Paid by Gift Certificate: CDN$ 180.00

How are you cashing out in .ca? The only thing I could find to take my butts was Steam. All the other common suggestions were all "no gently caress you we only deal with americans".

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Facebook Aunt posted:

How are you cashing out in .ca? The only thing I could find to take my butts was Steam. All the other common suggestions were all "no gently caress you we only deal with americans".

https://www.coincards.ca 5% fee. Sort of high but consider you don't need to scan your photoid to quadrigacx to get actual cash. If you want cash-like convert it into grocery giftcards or costco.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.coincards.ca 5% fee. Sort of high but consider you don't need to scan your photoid to quadrigacx to get actual cash. If you want cash-like convert it into grocery giftcards or costco.

Nice.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I'm hoping my residue BTC gets up to $10 soon so I can convert it to an amazon giftcard.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sibling of TB posted:

I'm hoping my residue BTC gets up to $10 soon so I can convert it to an amazon giftcard.

Titans of industry

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

What's the preferred GPU for mining WhopperCoins?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sent from my iPad posted:

What's the preferred GPU for mining WhopperCoins?

That's based on the Waves platform and you can't mine that on GPU, noob! You need to buy a full server and set up nodes and invest like 100,000 dollars for your waves to start generating out of thin air! Gosh!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah I thought the same too. I googled services and retailers who accepted Bitcoin, I was surprised Expedia, Newegg, even Microsoft all took Bitcoin now.

I tried it at the checkout to see if it was real...but no apparently it works for US customers only, same thing with transferring money from Coinbase to PayPal.

Ah well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Junior Jr. posted:

Yeah I thought the same too. I googled services and retailers who accepted Bitcoin, I was surprised Expedia, Newegg, even Microsoft all took Bitcoin now.

I tried it at the checkout to see if it was real...but no apparently it works for US customers only, same thing with transferring money from Coinbase to PayPal.

Ah well.

That's because none of those businesses actually take bitcoin; they take Bitpay or Coinbase. It's kind of like saying "the sandwich shop on the corner accepts russian rubles" because they have a Visa logo on their cash register.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Does anybody use the Nicehash wallet? I didnt even realize they had one, and the fees look like theyre about half and the payout to BTC cutoff is ten times smaller

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last time I looked at it their fees were like twice using an external wallet and the only benefit was the lower payout time but with the transaction fees I was only cashing out weekly in 50 dollar increments anyways to try to minimize those. They might have changed it up again though, when it was still profitable they seemed to change up their wallet fees every month. They used to have a fee for spending from their wallet, but if they've removed or lowered that, or other wallets are higher now it might be worth it now.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

craig588 posted:

Last time I looked at it their fees were like twice using an external wallet and the only benefit was the lower payout time but with the transaction fees I was only cashing out weekly in 50 dollar increments anyways to try to minimize those. They might have changed it up again though, when it was still profitable they seemed to change up their wallet fees every month. They used to have a fee for spending from their wallet, but if they've removed or lowered that, or other wallets are higher now it might be worth it now.

The payout thing is a little negated by the fact any withdrawals have a flat fee of 0.0005 BTC though that is still lower than coinbase (at the moment anyway), and it would be nice to have a little more flexibility in payouts when prices spike. Its definitely not as pretty as coinbase and I don't know if this would affect selling off the BTC or not between the two, but I feel like if there arent really any downsides I dont personally have much use for coinbase being a middleman. It doesn't say whether using BTC out of the wallet is free or not, I'm assuming its not.

I mean 2% isn't much at my scope of earnings, but the withdrawal fee being less and technically they are only taking half as much from you at that point and getting rid of a step. It would be nice to track my worker ID's and get those stats as well.

edit: Nm, it appears worker ID information is attached to wallet numbers and not any nicehash account, which is nice. I'll hold off for now but it does appear the nicehash wallet is a better deal

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 30, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Please add to OP

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Is the GPU shortage finally over? I've listed my RX 480 8 GB on CL for weeks now at $290 and no one's biting.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sincx posted:

Is the GPU shortage finally over? I've listed my RX 480 8 GB on CL for weeks now at $290 and no one's biting.

did you compare current listings first? regional pricing is a thing.
You could just be bad at selling.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 30, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Looking at sold auctions on eBay they still look just as bad as a couple months ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
IMO now that you're looking at a ROI timeline of 6+ months there is no longer the massive demand to build new rigs, so prices are slowly drifting back to normal. However coin prices have remained high enough that we haven't seen an outright popping of the bubble either, people seem content to crank away at $2 per day or w/e.

(the Ethereum network hashrate has continued to increase at a pretty good clip so 6+ months ROI is effectively "never")

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ill have you know im making a whole 3.50 a day thank you very much

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fauxtool posted:

About two bux a day here. I'm sitting on nearly $140 in fake money after power. 😎

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

Between this and 4.25 a day. Mainly because Equihash is really good algorithm for NVIDIA cards and the others are dogshit.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Can we stick to a standardized burrito based measuring system in case the Fed's are watching

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Goes the standardized burrito have guac or no guac?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Goes the standardized burrito have guac or no guac?

No guac, obviously, that poo poo's premium

tehinternet posted:

About two bux a day here. I'm sitting on nearly $140 in fake money after power. 😎

If you HOLD IT FOREVER you're effectively a BILLIONAIRE

Congratulations !

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2 dollars a day at free power and living forever is infinite money

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Minting 600 sols or 45 MH/s, still making that sweet fake eMoney

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Video card money bought me an Oculus Rift! Current rates are solid and still making a premium burrito per day after electricity costs due to the two cards. Curious to see how long this lasts, being on Nvidia means it shouldn't change much until the 11 series cards come out I'd assume.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Can we stick to a standardized burrito based measuring system in case the Fed's are watching

The feds don't give a poo poo what measurements you use so long as you report your gains in USD and are paying your self-employment taxes

... You did remember to start paying self-employment taxes when you started up nicehash, right?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

The feds don't give a poo poo what measurements you use so long as you report your gains in USD and are paying your self-employment taxes

... You did remember to start paying self-employment taxes when you started up nicehash, right?

Well, no, because of the negative long term environmental impact of cryptomining I am actually losing money once you itemize the value of the future of the human race. In fact the government should provide me tax breaks NOT to mine. Im not gonna bill the IRS though cause im a nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Are you going to make more than $400 off your video card mining?

• Locked thread