Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This isn't a traditional "cute" but it's adorable and made me smile like a loon.

Man uses a 3D printer to make a 5x scale Lego gocart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDz1jJxER-I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/AnimalsGalore/status/902440154094125056

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
http://jalopnik.com/hawk-avoids-hurricane-by-taking-a-cab-1798495085

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Why don't more people have rabbits like these, instead of cats? No offense to cat people, they're great! But it seems like a bunny like this would be an equally cute snuggle companion and house warmer.
Are they difficult to take care of or something?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dennis McClaren posted:

Why don't more people have rabbits like these, instead of cats? No offense to cat people, they're great! But it seems like a bunny like this would be an equally cute snuggle companion and house warmer.

They aren't predators. They don't want to play pouncing games. They don't want to wrestle. Cute but boring.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dennis McClaren posted:

Also if you give them a bath that's apparently really, really dangerous and bad for them?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Facebook Aunt posted:

They aren't predators. They don't want to play pouncing games. They don't want to wrestle. Cute but boring.

Also they poo poo all over

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dennis McClaren posted:

While they're very cute, their personalities often leave a lot to be desired. I've been around one or two rabbits that were cool, but I think I heard it summed up best as "they're like autistic cats."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also if you give them a bath that's apparently really, really dangerous and bad for them?

I thought that was chinchillas?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also they poo poo all over

But their poop is like, little pellets. Even if they poo poo on the floor it's easy to clean up.

StandardVC10 posted:

I thought that was chinchillas?

It's both.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

yeah, rabbits are also a lot more work than cats/dogs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah with chinchillas (and i'm assuming rabbits) if they stop for more than 2 seconds there's going to be a couple of poop pellets left behind. While they are certainly easy to clean up, you pretty much have to follow them around with the dust buster and keep an eye on them at all times to make sure they don't chew on something dangerous or slip into some tiny hole under your counters you had no idea even existed and you spend like an hour trying to coax their fluffy rear end out of it with raisins as you ponder the practicality of sawzalling a hole in the cupboards.

Uh, as a completely arbitrary example.

With dogs and cats you can let them out of your sight and free to roam your house on their own

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

pro-click :kimchi:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Any pet other than dogs and cats that you wont keep in a cage or glass box is a lot more work

Cats and dogs are popular not only because they are fun and cute, but also because they are the most adapted to living with humans

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Does anyone have any good videos of cats or dogs being petted? I really miss my cats right now. :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Request: I'd like to see the most Powerful cat pics you have.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/tatuya01/status/902367068418449408

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

a kitten posted:

Yeah with chinchillas (and i'm assuming rabbits) if they stop for more than 2 seconds there's going to be a couple of poop pellets left behind.

I saw a show about birds of prey at Dollywood and they mentioned that owls can hunt mice so easily because they can see in ultraviolet. It just so happens that urine reflects ultraviolet light, and mice have such tiny bladders that they need to pee all the time.

Basically mice are constantly leaving a glowing trail of urine everywhere they go.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

krinklechip posted:

Took a trip to Hogle Zoo (SLC) after the eclipse for design inspiration. Hadn't been in... flip... over a decade. The larger animals have actual enclosures now instead of just cages; its super great.

Tall Girls

Stripey Lads

Savannah Breadwinners

Savannah Mooch

Literally Me

Cooler Tester

Water Yodeler

Tired Bicorns

Brian Blessed

Stompy Friend

Striped Tabby

Spotted Tabby

...and OHMYGODS THERE ARE PALLAS KITTENS AT HOGLE ZOO RIGHT MEOW :kimchi:

Well poo poo looks like I need to make a trip to Hogle. Haven't been in years.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Yo, dawg, we heard you like cats, so...

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
I would disagree with most of what has been said recently about rabbits. I've had them for sixteen years, and they are generally easier to care for than dogs and cats; as they don't need walks, will take to using a litter box much quicker than cats, and because they don't leave much of a smell don't need their litter boxes emptied as frequently. They aren't big on cuddling, but do generally like people once they get used to them and are very easily bribed with food (And although they do eat a lot, hay is cheap).
To demonstrate, I will provide information and pictures of my rabbits.
Rabbit 1, Tumbleweed:

A feral rabbit that I adopted as a baby, she was sweet but very skittish and unfortunately died young because I didn't know much about taking care of rabbits. Also initially had to deal with having two cats stick their paws through the bars of her cage to try and eat her, as well as a dog dutifully sitting outside to see if she needed to be retrieved (The cats eventually just ignored her, while the dog befriended her). Despite her skittishness, she was the only one that would climb into people's laps to cuddle; although they had to stay very still to avoid spooking her.

Rabbit 2, Cadbury:

The cat tried to attack her when he was a kitten. It didn't work.

Adopted from a feed store while buying hay for Tumbleweed, with the idea that having two rabbits would help them socialize. Unfortunately, she relentlessly bullied Tumbleweed and the two spent the rest of their lives separated; with Cadbury outside and Tumbleweed inside. Large and independent minded, but friendly. She would happily eat any treats offered to her, but spent most of her time foraging for herself and digging elaborate tunnel networks under the back yard. Would also chew holes in the garden hose if her water wasn't kept clean and run around in circles at 5 AM.

Rabbits 3 and 4, Ganesha and Gaia (Formerly Biscuit and Cookie):

A sibling pair rehomed at an advanced age from some acquaintances who couldn't keep them. The only two rabbits I've had who actually liked each other, they would spend hours grooming each other, snuggling, and eating massive quantities of food from both ends. Unfortunately, this meant that they never really established much of a bond with people or other animals; and while they still liked to be petted and would sit in laps if placed there, they much preferred to be with each other. Due to their age and sedentary lifestyle, they didn't last very long.

Rabbit 5, Igaluk (Formerly Selene, as he was mistaken for a girl):

By this point, the dog knew very well to do with rabbits.

Her replacement figured it out pretty quickly too.

Easily the best of the five, he was adopted after Gaia's death in the hopes that having another rabbit around would be good for Ganesha. Unfortunately, Ganesha only lasted two more months; but Igaluk has been going strong for nine years and survived a twisted ankle, a hereditary brain parasite, and a gut obstruction. Since he grew up around other pets who were very used to rabbits, he has no issues with them; he loves people and will hop up to passersby to get his ears scratched and hopefully get a treat; and if you get down to his level he'll rub up against you and kiss your hands.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aaa they're so cute! I didn't know they could be litterbox trained, that's pretty awesome.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Cats divide asexually. Frickin knew it

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Iamyourking posted:

Rabbit 2, Cadbury:

The cat tried to attack her when he was a kitten. It didn't work.

The bunnies are super cute, but that cat is gorgeous

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well poo poo looks like I need to make a trip to Hogle. Haven't been in years.

Same. My parents took my nephews to Hogle last week and were impressed by how much it's improved since I was little. I need to try to get up there next time I'm in Salt Lake, if the weather allows it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Catception.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Some friendly ducks joined me for lunch today. Apart from being overly eager to snatch some dried mango, they were perfectly happy to sit on my legs and be pet :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/chanelpuke/status/902009597589905408

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Say Nothing posted:

Catception.

Purrsistance of Memory

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

a kitten posted:

Aaa they're so cute! I didn't know they could be litterbox trained, that's pretty awesome.

My brother had rabbits when we still lived together amd while generally they were good about it, when they were out of the cage playing they generally didn't bother. As a result I never went to the bathroom at night without a flashlight to navigate the minefield (even though they were mostly dry pellets it was still gross to step on). And I can definitively say their litter boxes do smell bad if you're lazy about cleaning them, which he was.

They were really cute though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/rocketttpower/status/902557351261085696

Humans are cute, dogs are cute, together they are a force too cute for words :kimchi:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/gifsdegatinhos/status/902652080413749248

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"porquinho" :kiddo: :3:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

a kitten posted:

Rabbits are excellent pets, and the reason so many people have bad rabbit experiences is that up until the last decade or so, really good rabbit information was hard to find. Imagine how difficult caring for a dog would be if you didn't know anything about dogs, none of your friends and family did, you couldn't find a vet that worked on them, and dog information online was like four amateur websites. Rabbits are significantly less work than a dog, but people have been raising them wrong for decades.

Also, rabbits and children are mostly a bad mix, so tons of people had bad childhood experiences with rabbits.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rabbits are excellent pets, and the reason so many people have bad rabbit experiences is that up until the last decade or so, really good rabbit information was hard to find. Imagine how difficult caring for a dog would be if you didn't know anything about dogs, none of your friends and family did, you couldn't find a vet that worked on them, and dog information online was like four amateur websites. Rabbits are significantly less work than a dog, but people have been raising them wrong for decades.

Also, rabbits and children are mostly a bad mix, so tons of people had bad childhood experiences with rabbits.

most people can barely raise a dog anyway so

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kennel posted:

"porquinho" :kiddo: :3:

that's 'little pig" in portuguese

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is my girl Jynx sleeping on my foot like a floofer (I can never rememeber how to make an image post)

http://imgur.com/a/ubhNF

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/lauraolin/status/902276388975034368

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

cinni posted:

Here is my girl Jynx sleeping on my foot like a floofer (I can never rememeber how to make an image post)

http://imgur.com/a/ubhNF

Awwwww, my girl is a Jinx as well.

I just started student teaching. Today my coordinating teacher was out so I had subs all day who were more than happy to have me run things. I'm exhausted and I have my first (informal) observation tomorrow.

Jinx is the best therapy I can ask for.

Crazy Ferret has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7X3Q0wCZB8