Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volmarias posted:

1. Be a monopoly
2. Set your prices however you want, deliver your service however you want
3. Profit

*sends in a choir chanting "the market will figure it out"*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Raerlynn posted:

As a fellow "scripting saved in OneNote" I'm supremely pissed at myself for not thinking of git. Then again, work probably has it on lockdown, but I'll give it a try today.

Bah. GitHub blocked along https and ssh ports.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sefal posted:

save your scripts! I do it in onenote. I was a little bit sad, that I wasn't able to help with your powershell script. I should read these threads more often.

It's actually good that your boss made the request to use powershell. it really is a gamechanger.
Have you read the book: "powershell in a month of lunches"? I highly recommend it. Teaches you Powershell in a fast and good manner

I've purchased the book, and read up to chapter 6, I also found videos on Microsoft Virtual Academy that are kinda old (I think version 3?), but co-hosted by the dude that created powershell, and those have been good too.

And I have been saving my scripts.

As individual notepad files. Time to GitHub!

Edit: account made, and the update script committed!

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 29, 2017

Notax
May 14, 2014

If you thought African spam was from Nigeria it was ACTUALLY from Bots Wanna

somehow I don't think this map is properly justified about what the bots are doing!! I NEED AN NMAP OF THIS!!!!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PLEEEASE have Windows 10 Home on it so we can't join it to the domain...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

The model of "home" and "professional" was a failed concept 10 years ago. Why is this still a thing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Thank god we don't support personal devices where I work

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mewse posted:

Thank god we don't support personal devices where I work

Owners kid, who's technically also like 2% owner.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Nah. Hope for pro. Join it to the domain, and then strangle it with GPOs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I kind of wonder what she bought. I suggested the XPS 13 but they never buy what I tell them.

And, she originally said her husband's business was going to pay for it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

I kind of wonder what she bought. I suggested the XPS 13 but they never buy what I tell them.

And, she originally said her husband's business was going to pay for it.

I was sort of impressed with the xps's of late. Pretty laptops for sure.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The good news: Told my boss today that I could not go to the conference with him next month due to some conflicting plans that I had "forgotten about". He seemed fine with this.

The bad news: Conference is in Houston, and the organizers are reviewing whether they need to reschedule or relocate it. Boss is all "looks like it's all going to work out ok, you'll get to go on your trip AND the conference!".

God dammit all.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
He probably called them on your behalf and made up a sob story so they'd reschedule.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

The model of "home" and "professional" was a failed concept 10 years ago. Why is this still a thing.

Because Microsoft that's why...

Have to extract every single possible licensing dollar.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

The good news: Told my boss today that I could not go to the conference with him next month due to some conflicting plans that I had "forgotten about". He seemed fine with this.

The bad news: Conference is in Houston, and the organizers are reviewing whether they need to reschedule or relocate it. Boss is all "looks like it's all going to work out ok, you'll get to go on your trip AND the conference!".

God dammit all.

your boss can summon hurricanes?!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raerlynn posted:

Bah. GitHub blocked along https and ssh ports.

Get a raspberry pi and set it up at home, run a repo there and use ssh.

Unless they block all offsite ssh in which case :shepface:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

Get a raspberry pi and set it up at home, run a repo there and use ssh.

Unless they block all offsite ssh in which case :shepface:

In which case serve ssh over port 443 and/or 53 :eng101:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sickening posted:

If it's such a failed concept, why's Microsoft been able to get away with it for 24 years at this point?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

fishmech posted:

If it's such a failed concept, why's Microsoft been able to get away with it for 24 years at this point?

Inertia and a really big gently caress-off stick called "like it or we'll lump you."

Notax
May 14, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

hey if you haven't already (but just to be thorough) you should test for this:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/diode1.htm

:siren:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
poo poo pissing me off:

I'm trying to automate our install process since we get PCs already pre-installed with Win7 (:sigh:). HP Client Security Manager won't uninstall unless you disable the loving CD-ROM\DVD-ROM. gently caress you HP.

Things not pissing me off:

Most of my script works :dance:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sirotan posted:

God dammit all.

You are definitely going to have to relocate your conference.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SEKCobra posted:

He probably called them on your behalf and made up a sob story so they'd reschedule.

In the event that this isn't a joke post, Houston is underwater at the moment.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Someone just put a ticket in for a new employee...they don't start for 19 days.

:neckbeard:

When I started my current job, I logged in to my email to find that it went back to a day after I accepted the offer (2 weeks prior). Yay for following process!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Inertia and a really big gently caress-off stick called "like it or we'll lump you."

So it's a successful concept then.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volmarias posted:

In the event that this isn't a joke post, Houston is underwater at the moment.

And as far as rescheduling it, the area is expected to be hosed for YEARS

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Oh, hey, official "on call" schedule for weekends with all the usual rules but no actual bonus or anything from being on call.

Why is it not acceptable to tell your boss to gently caress off?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Khisanth Magus posted:

Oh, hey, official "on call" schedule for weekends with all the usual rules but no actual bonus or anything from being on call.

You could seriously ask why they're lowering your hourly wage, since they're adding time to your responsibility but not increasing pay to match. Request paperwork backing your new demotion.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

You mean "why is it not acceptable to tell your JOB CREATOR to gently caress off?"

You should fall to your knees and kiss his boots every day for deigning to employ you. </U.S.A.! U.S.A.!>

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Khisanth Magus posted:

It's perfectly acceptable to tell your boss to gently caress off. It's just a good idea to line up a fresh rear end to kiss first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could see how long you can get away with not signing the new contract and keeping your current hours

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

You could see how long you can get away with not signing the new contract and keeping your current hours

lmao if you think there is going to be a new contract, and the extra hours aren't just assumed to be lumped under "exempt" status.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Judge Schnoopy posted:

lmao if you think there is going to be a new contract, and the extra hours aren't just assumed to be lumped under "exempt" status.

Yep. The idea of a new contract is amusing. I'm exempt, if I want to keep my job I do whatever my boss tells me because USA USA USA.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yep. The idea of a new contract is amusing. I'm exempt, if I want to keep my job I do whatever my boss tells me because USA USA USA.

Lol get a new job then. I tell my boss "no" quite a bit. I wasn't hired to be a yes man, I was hired for my skills and knowledge.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

App developer team getting all worked up because Google announced (months ago) they would require some sort of verification of apps if you wanted to use Google Login to authenticate users, after the fake Google Drive phishing emails went around. Developer ignored all the warning emails and now users are getting scary warnings that an app identifying itself as being linked to somebody's personal Gmail account might not be very secure. Then he tried to make this my problem because I have the keys to our G Suite tenant and they both say Google on so clearly it's something I did.

Dug out the CYA material I'd been sending across to that team highlighting the upcoming changes :smuggo:, went back to other tasks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

App developer team getting all worked up because Google announced (months ago) they would require some sort of verification of apps if you wanted to use Google Login to authenticate users, after the fake Google Drive phishing emails went around. Developer ignored all the warning emails and now users are getting scary warnings that an app identifying itself as being linked to somebody's personal Gmail account might not be very secure. Then he tried to make this my problem because I have the keys to our G Suite tenant and they both say Google on so clearly it's something I did.

Dug out the CYA material I'd been sending across to that team highlighting the upcoming changes :smuggo:, went back to other tasks.

poo poo like that is such a good feeling.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Irritated Goat posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

I'm trying to automate our install process since we get PCs already pre-installed with Win7 (:sigh:). HP Client Security Manager won't uninstall unless you disable the loving CD-ROM\DVD-ROM. gently caress you HP.

Things not pissing me off:

Most of my script works :dance:

Are you installing on the factory image for some reason?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

poo poo like that is such a good feeling.

I got to do this yesterday with a couple certificates for a critical production system. Sent 60/45/30/15 day warnings, nobody with access ever responded to those or my emails. System goes down, and they called me on my week off.

Took me 5 minutes to log into webmail, forward everything in the Revenge! folder to a couple people, and go back to puppy cuddles.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

CYA is the sole reason I have become a email hoarder. I haven't deleted a work related email since the day we switched to Google Apps in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Conference calls are hell. Conference calls where the organizer is on a cellphone with increasing poor signal and dropping words are a special part of hell.