Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Giant Isopod posted:

How do you build Inquisition / Sororitas command squads now? I see that acolytes, crusaders, hospitallers, etc all have their own entry under elites, do I just pay the points for them and smash as many as I want into a squad? In the case of the inquisitor, do I need to attach him to a squad then add acolytes or can I just build up a warband of him, acolytes and... whatever? Also, if that's the case, how do I tell (in battlescribe) what units can be attached to other units - I'm assuming all the ones composed of a single model can, but what about crusaders?

You can't join them together, they're all just individual units of dudes or single-model units in the case of Daemonhosts, Jokaero etc. You can't mash stuff together like used to be the case with independent characters and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Safety Factor posted:

They're all separate units now. Characters can't even join units anymore. They can only be shot if they're the closest target, however, so they still get some protection from being near other units.

Ah-ha! That explains quite a few things I've been missing, thank you.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wouldn't a car be about the size of a buggy or an old trukk?

Warbuggies are the best bet, I think. And I guess it's better to be a couple inches too long than be smaller.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SpikeMcclane posted:

Warbuggies are the best bet, I think. And I guess it's better to be a couple inches too long than be smaller.

:smuggo:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I stupidly clipped out all the legs on my Skitarii, stuck them on the bases, then had to play the guessing game of which torsos attached where. I ended up with two sets of legs which would not fit anything - 1 of them I managed to carve up a bit and he's in a slightly comical action stride, the other I had to borrow from the second Skitarii box and push the problem onto Corrode of the Future when he assembles the other 10. Coming from mostly assembling Tac Marines and Cadians, it was a bit of a fucker.

I did the exact same thing, so I could paint the inside of the robes. Ended up having to buy 2 individual Vangaurd off eBay.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

does anyone if I can get those 3-primaris starter packs in the physical GW stores? I'm near one for the next week so I figured I could save myself time and money shipping

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Babe Magnet posted:

does anyone if I can get those 3-primaris starter packs in the physical GW stores? I'm near one for the next week so I figured I could save myself time and money shipping

They're at my local FLGS so I assume GW-specific stores have them too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

neato, thanks

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
They mention doing 5 man "combat squad" boxes for the core Primaris infantry kits. Assuming they're 20-30$ I may actually grab the hellblaster box so I can have the option of running a 10 man hellblaster squad out of a repulsor.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ordered one of those Revell "Paint + Play" 40k kits, seems to be reissuing AoBR stuff. I just wanted the plastic Warboss and deffkopta out of it, so I'll confirm what actually comes in the kit once it arrives.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I remember in the early days of Finecast you'd sometimes see bright pink or yellow bits attached to the models. Took people a while to realise that those were actually parts of the mold that were stuck to the sprues which would explain the consistent deformations in the other models on the rack.

Also the ever-growing number of vents and channels haphazardly added to extremities. Good times.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Tankbustas are probably the worst finecast kit I've ever gotten. Since they have all sorts of armor plates and greeblies there are multiple flow gates coming off of every single one leading to the main body.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've had pretty good luck with Finecast, although the last set of Sword Brethren I got had a guy who looked like Sloth in it.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Ordered one of those Revell "Paint + Play" 40k kits, seems to be reissuing AoBR stuff. I just wanted the plastic Warboss and deffkopta out of it, so I'll confirm what actually comes in the kit once it arrives.

Those boxes are a weird mix of AoBR kits and 2nd ed plastics, but I'm glad they exist. If I ever need more swivel Termies I can get em there easy.

Also if any of you nerds are gonna be at NOVA, I'll be there with my Templars in tow! Correctly guess how many of my games I've lost and I'll buy you a beer!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone other than Master Twig and Naramyth going to the Renegade Open? I'll be bringing one member of my team up for the GT.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I grumble like this every time this comes up but what I like about metal models predominantly is that they are sculpted and not designed by computer for the most part. I think they look more individual than CAD designed stuff as it is too uniform. Faces are symmetrical which is weird, bits on different miniatures are identical and once I have noticed that stuff I can't unsee it. There are lots of cheats like that when sculpting which I will avoid but I think the age of the computer makes it worse.

I hate having the same model twice though so posable plastic kits are still pretty awesome but the newer ones do not do anything to me. Also kids are riding their skateboards on the pavement and I am afraid to go outside because the Daily Mail tells me there are immigrants and gays everywhere. Also I keep voting Tory despite their systematic dismantling of the NHS which is odd because I am such a high user of it due to my age and frailty... I am old which is the central message here,

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are any of you nerds aside from chutche2 :haw: gonna be at DragonCon?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Finecast worked really well for Nurgle models. All the loving craters and strings made them super thematic. :stare:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

mango sentinel posted:

Are any of you nerds aside from chutche2 :haw: gonna be at DragonCon?

I thought that was an anime convention.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Uroboros posted:

General nerd poo poo. Started as a roleplaying con forever ago I think. Lots of scifi and fantasy and poo poo going on, with tons of miniature gaming apparently

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Uroboros posted:

It's a fantasy/sci-fi convention with very little anime programming. (Atlanta has two other cons for that.)

The tabletop gaming presence seems modest for how huge the con is, but it's there.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rules question regarding Inquisitors and the Authority of the Inquisition rule: If my list includes 5 Custodes in a Venerable Land Raider, 5 Vigilators in a Null-Maiden Rhino and 2 inquisitors, will the inquisitors be able to get into either transport with the already embarked squads?

I'm guessing an inquisitor won't fit inside of the Land Raider since Custodes take up 2 slots like a terminator. But I can put one inside with the Vigilators, yes?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, you'll be able to put the Inquisitor in the Rhino.

Note that there's a slight bug in the rules - a Venerable Land Raider only has 5 Custodes-sized seats, so you can't put 4 Custodes and 2 Inquisitors/Acolytes in there. It maxes out at 5 total, no matter how big.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, you'll be able to put the Inquisitor in the Rhino.

Note that there's a slight bug in the rules - a Venerable Land Raider only has 5 Custodes-sized seats, so you can't put 4 Custodes and 2 Inquisitors/Acolytes in there. It maxes out at 5 total, no matter how big.

See, that's what hosed me up. It says transport capacity, but it no longer just straight up lists how many folks it can carry. It's very specific to how many of a particular unit. I figured the Venerable Land Raider could only carry 5 Custodes and nothing else.

I wonder how the codex for those factions will end up being. Will Inquisition/Talons of the Emperor and all that jazz just be rolled into one?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im feeling there will be an imperial agents codex for all of the island of misfit toys of the imperium.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

See, that's what hosed me up. It says transport capacity, but it no longer just straight up lists how many folks it can carry. It's very specific to how many of a particular unit. I figured the Venerable Land Raider could only carry 5 Custodes and nothing else.

I wonder how the codex for those factions will end up being. Will Inquisition/Talons of the Emperor and all that jazz just be rolled into one?

Inquisitors and the Ynnari duo are the only ones that can get in non-faction transports, so it's not normally an issue. It only comes up with the Custodes Land Raider as they must have throught writing "It can carry 10 ADEPTUS CUSTODES models. ADEPTUS CUSTODES models take up two slots." would have been kinda silly.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

I remember in the early days of Finecast you'd sometimes see bright pink or yellow bits attached to the models. Took people a while to realise that those were actually parts of the mold that were stuck to the sprues which would explain the consistent deformations in the other models on the rack.

Also the ever-growing number of vents and channels haphazardly added to extremities. Good times.

As someone who has made a couple silicone molds that is super typical of a lovely mold made by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and a part not meant for the medium. The extra vents are pretty much identical to my efforts to salvage bad molds with bits that trap bubbles.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im feeling there will be an imperial agents codex for all of the island of misfit toys of the imperium.

Yeah that seems most likely. Inquisitors, Assassins, Sisters of Silence, etc. probably throwing Knights in there too for people who don't want to buy the AdMech book just for those.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Which tank is better? LR Extermiantor or LR MBT? 4 shots vs. d6 shots. S7 vs. S8. -1 AP vs. -2 AP. 2 damage vs. d3 damage. The exterminator costs 3 more points.

I'm leaning towards the MBT. Most tanks and transports are T7, so you're wounding on 3's there, and most infantry is T4, so you're wounding on 2's, there.

I think the Exterminator gets the edge in number of shots and damage, though.

Any of you math nerds have thoughts?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think they are pretty close, but the exterminator is probably more reliable. Over a full tank army the mbt probably averages out about as good but as a single tank I need to try the exterminator, as my mbt often does bubkis.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah it's a huge blower when you roll that 1 for the number of battle cannon shots.

So I was getting ready to do transfers for some poo poo I'm trying to get together for NOVA and I was stressing about the fact that I didn't have enough 9's. Then I remembered what happens when you turn 6's upside down.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

mango sentinel posted:

It's a fantasy/sci-fi convention with very little anime programming. (Atlanta has two other cons for that.)

The tabletop gaming presence seems modest for how huge the con is, but it's there.

I'm not actually going but if anyone's down for a game sometime Friday or Saturday while in town I'd be interested.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Sex Cannon posted:

So I was getting ready to do transfers for some poo poo I'm trying to get together for NOVA and I was stressing about the fact that I didn't have enough 9's. Then I remembered what happens when you turn 6's upside down.

nice

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Sex Cannon posted:

Which tank is better? LR Extermiantor or LR MBT? 4 shots vs. d6 shots. S7 vs. S8. -1 AP vs. -2 AP. 2 damage vs. d3 damage. The exterminator costs 3 more points.

I'm leaning towards the MBT. Most tanks and transports are T7, so you're wounding on 3's there, and most infantry is T4, so you're wounding on 2's, there.

I think the Exterminator gets the edge in number of shots and damage, though.

Any of you math nerds have thoughts?

I'm assuming same Ballistic Skills for each, so those factor out:

VS T7 3+

MBT: 3.5*2/3*1/2 = ~1.2 expected wounds-per-volley = ~2.3 damage-per-volley
EXT: 4*1/2*2/3 = ~1.3 expected wounds-per-volley = 2 damage-per-volley

VS T8 3+

MBT: 3.5*1/2*1/3 = ~0.6 expected wounds-per-volley = ~1.2 damage-per-volley
EXT: 4*1/3*1/2 = ~0.7 expected wounds-per-volley = 1 damage-per-volley

VS T4 3+

MBT: 3.5*5/6*1/2 = ~ 1.5 expected wounds-per-volley
EXT: 4*2/3*2/3 = ~ 1.8 expected wounds-per-volley

Numbers will be a bit lower with actual hits. MBT has a much higher variance, and is more consistent against 2W infantry. It's pretty much whichever you want, the numbers are all close enough.

Can't wait to fly in tomorrow. Want me to bring some spare IG transfers?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I'm good, bruh. I got plenty of 6's.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Yeah it's a huge blower when you roll that 1 for the number of battle cannon shots.

Nice.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, the plastic missile launcher arm. It comes in the standard nonVen nonIron dread kit that no one buys because Black Reach dreads are so cheap and abundant.

I'm garbage and I forgot about this for like two weeks, but I do have this bit, if you still need it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Corrode posted:

I added a bunch of commentary on the following:

Corrode commented version

Some queried stuff and also some nitpicky grammar things - I think better writing improves the presentation significantly but I am a fussy bastard.

Hey, I really appreciate it. I looked it over and made several alterations based on your suggestions. Didn't use all of them, but greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks much.

What I would REALLY like is for people to actually play some games with it. Tell me how they went. If you enjoyed it. If anything seemed broken. Right now we're still on the fence about allowing 2+ saves, a thing that had been banned from Combat Patrol before, but doesn't seem too bad so far in 8th edition.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

Hey, I really appreciate it. I looked it over and made several alterations based on your suggestions. Didn't use all of them, but greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks much.

What I would REALLY like is for people to actually play some games with it. Tell me how they went. If you enjoyed it. If anything seemed broken. Right now we're still on the fence about allowing 2+ saves, a thing that had been banned from Combat Patrol before, but doesn't seem too bad so far in 8th edition.

Let it all in and let things get degenerate. :getin:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

Look at this fuckboi who can't even 69 right, too busy thinkin bout the 9 to get the 6

I've also spent a good 12 of the last 24 hours working on this loving Land Raider Crusader and my hands are actually trembling, I'm like 98% done with it and I can't wait for it to be over

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

SRM posted:

Look at this fuckboi who can't even 69 right, too busy thinkin bout the 9 to get the 6

I've also spent a good 12 of the last 24 hours working on this loving Land Raider Crusader and my hands are actually trembling, I'm like 98% done with it and I can't wait for it to be over

I've not put one together yet- what's the pain point on this model? The bolters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Where the heck is Magnus in Battlescribe?