Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jetamo posted:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that most if these were probably made very quickly as a proof of concept and to get the system out the door. Wait until the next wave to actually go "yeah they're poo poo at QA".

I don't inherently think paid mods is a bad idea, and this system seems like the most likely to have a chance AT working. Like, Cities Skylines does something similar - pay four pound for a pack of building models done by a contracted modder.

Are any of these even done by modders, or are they "official" Bethesda mods?

This is the second wave, this is their second attempt at paid mods, the first attempt was also poo poo for all the same reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's the angriest I've seen Gopher in a long time.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I had been hoping that Kinggath, dude who does Sim Settlements, was one of the early adopters of the creation club and Bethesda was funding his work for eventual release on the CC. Would be a neat thing to show that their plan can produce awesome content by 3rd parties, but..fart.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

OwlFancier posted:

This is the second wave, this is their second attempt at paid mods, the first attempt was also poo poo for all the same reasons.

Yeah, after Valve / Bethesda Skyrim paid mods debacle they needed to make a really good first impression. Ideally what they should have done is used one or more well known modders to make a few small-medium sized quest mods & charged half of what they really want for them. If the modders are getting paid a wage during development (or a lump sum at the end) then you can charge whatever you want for the final product. Take a loss in the short term, but gets people in the door & using your platform, this is like Business 101.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I swear to god if this 2gb update is the creation club files I neither want nor need, Im going to put a thumbtack on todd howards chair.

Seriously, if i have to have all the files for CC mods even if Im not using them, I call bullshit.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I read earlier that the update IS the ba2 files for the mods it just doesn't include the .esp so they can be used. Someone with the update check that because that'd be the most hilarious thing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Are they going to do this with every CC mod? Because I can see myself getting real loving tired of hosting a bunch of files I'll never use.

*Double* lol if theyre just doing it this way so they can make steam pay for the bandwidth.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Currently it looks like they download the archives (.ba2) and you're literally paying for the plugin (.esp) file. Which is both hilarious and stupid, because you can conceivably take the archives and make an .esp for free. You would have to know HOW to do that, which is something else entirely, but it's possible.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So wait, before we buy a single mod we already have all the assets?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Currently it looks like they download the archives (.ba2) and you're literally paying for the plugin (.esp) file. Which is both hilarious and stupid, because you can conceivably take the archives and make an .esp for free. You would have to know HOW to do that, which is something else entirely, but it's possible.

Time before an automatic .esp generator is released?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Time before an automatic .esp generator is released?

You'd need someone to actually want these mods first.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Would it be illegal to make an esp that recreates a CC one and upload it to the Nexus? You're not actually distributing any of the original content, so uh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not against selling item or equipment mods like this per se, but they need to fix the pricing on them because five dollars for a single suit of power armour is insane. If it was a giant armour collection like Hothtrooper's Immersive Armors for Skyrim, I'd be more inclined to find that price fair, but even then I'd probably only buy it if it came bundled with all the other mods Hothtrooper made. Just because I'd like to support mod authors I like doesn't mean I don't want to get good value for my money.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Man, the most messed up stuff is always in a vault.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tombot posted:

So wait, before we buy a single mod we already have all the assets?
Yes, we do. The only thing missing is the plugin that actually puts the stuff in the game. But with a little bit of knowhow you can easily make that yourself. The meshes, textures, etc, are all there in the .ba2 archive.

I honestly thought this was some sort of bug with the steam beta. A glitch like the time Steam accidentally gave everyone the Dawnguard DLC for free. But here's the v1.10 update and all the files are there.
I'm entertaining the idea that this is some Bethesda dev that's trying to sabotage things. I know Bethesda is the company that patched in a bug that caused dragons to fly backwards in Skyrim, but even they're aren't this incompetent. Like I said before, they don't do this with the mods on Bethesda.net and I can't think of a reason why this would be genuinely necessary for the system to work.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
The high prices are probably also to entice modders to join them by showing how much $$$ they could earn

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So, uh, is this poo poo just going to keep filling my drive as more mods are introduced or what?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SplitSoul posted:

So, uh, is this poo poo just going to keep filling my drive as more mods are introduced or what?

What does your heart tell you?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If it does that, it will likely end up forcing people to uninstall. Which, of course, is entirely possible because if they were even remotely intelligent they wouldn't be pushing this poo poo.

EDIT: Yeah, yep. The archives are there, just no plugins. Also this patch breaks F4SE again.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 29, 2017

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Apparently, Atomic Surgery has made all my companions bald. Anyone who have had this problem? It doesn't seem to matter where in the load order I place the relevant mods in relation to each other.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I doubt that the patch was meant to include all the assets of the CC poo poo, this looks a lot like the Dawnguard mistake back when they patched Skyrim and Dawnguard was part of the patch.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/6wub9p/for_the_good_of_all_pc_gaming_please_do_not/

This is how you know your attempt to monetize modding is going swimmingly. The internet is responding with pleading "DO NOT loving GIVE THEM MONEY FOR THIS poo poo" posts, and open worry that they'll pollute future games with microtransactions and bullshit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does it install the mods on every game or do I have to sign up to this creative club thing because that's gonna be a problem if it's every mod in every game as I don't have a lot of hard drive space.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

turn off the TV posted:

There are two pipe shotgun mods on the workshop anyways.

One MADE BY THE GUY WHO MADE THE SHOTGUN ON CREATION CLUB.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Does it install the mods on every game or do I have to sign up to this creative club thing because that's gonna be a problem if it's every mod in every game as I don't have a lot of hard drive space.

Currently it's part of the patch. If Steam has kept FO4 up to date, you have the archives for the CC stuff on your drive, even if you haven't bought anything.

Fenrax
Oct 9, 2012

Gonkish posted:

If it does that, it will likely end up forcing people to uninstall. Which, of course, is entirely possible because if they were even remotely intelligent they wouldn't be pushing this poo poo.

EDIT: Yeah, yep. The archives are there, just no plugins. Also this patch breaks F4SE again.

Yeah it sure is great they patched in this thing nobody asked for and most people asked for them to not do, still managed to mess that up and make us download a bunch of assets we can't use, and also in the process break F4SE.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Fenrax posted:

Yeah it sure is great they patched in this thing nobody asked for and most people asked for them to not do, still managed to mess that up and make us download a bunch of assets we can't use, and also in the process break F4SE.

Bethesda has become the master of unforced errors.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Gonkish posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/6wub9p/for_the_good_of_all_pc_gaming_please_do_not/

This is how you know your attempt to monetize modding is going swimmingly. The internet is responding with pleading "DO NOT loving GIVE THEM MONEY FOR THIS poo poo" posts, and open worry that they'll pollute future games with microtransactions and bullshit.

downloadable_content.txt

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Gonkish posted:

Bethesda has become the master of unforced errors.

nope.
ccp still has that title.

otoh, thanks for the uh, assets, beth.
so I guess I will make an esp with all this junk and put it somewhere.
an esp with no assets. thus not "stealing" anything.
Edit :
I'm so glad I play with a seperate install.
so, for this post to have some meaning : latest nexus gems.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17927/ grow resources. special plants that pull the stuff you want from the living soil. metal.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25307/ Do you think Strong needs a waifu.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25983/ Textured Judge Dredd & Robocop pewpews.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26384/ Han shot first.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25070/ Game over, man..
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20994/ Dual knify.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23983/ A battlestaff you may use to subdue ninja's and poo poo.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24255/ Everybody was Kung Fu Fightin' (it was a lil' bit frightnin').
I resisted the urge to put the big floppy pink dildo weapon here because we are classy.

staberind fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 30, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My favourite part is, because the assets are downloaded by default, mods that add these to the game for free can be distributed legally without being valid C&D or takedown targets because they're not redistributing copyrighted material.

Less good is the fact that they'll C&D/DCMA said mods anyway because gently caress it, nobody's gonna spend money to fight it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Can I just take Steam offline to prevent this update? I'm not using any other Steam games right now.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Dick Trauma posted:

Can I just take Steam offline to prevent this update? I'm not using any other Steam games right now.

You can postpone the update indefinitely by setting steam to update on launch only. Then only launch the game with F4SE.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUpw9KnTYsM

Nerds found some of the info on upcoming CC stuff, listed here:

Note that that includes the stuff already out there.

Long story short:

- More pip boy skins
- The Mauler from The Pitt DLC for FO3
- Doomguy's Praetor armor suit from DOOM 2016.
- The BFG? THAT BFG? What?
- The chainsaw from DOOM... I'm sensing a trend.
- Another settlement decorations thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So 'modders' are selling a whole bunch of Bethesda game tie-ins for them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MikeJF posted:

So 'modders' are selling a whole bunch of Bethesda game tie-ins for them.

It looks like these are just straight-up ports done in-house by Bethesda themselves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What do you mean, these aren't Bethesda DLC microtransactions, this is the Creator's Club, a way to pay back high quality content from the community!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

:psyduck: Are you saying they're just trying to implement lovely, lazy microtransactions in their singleplayer game?!

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
I'm just amazed that those 8? mods take a up whooping 2gb of space.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gonkish posted:

:psyduck: Are you saying they're just trying to implement lovely, lazy microtransactions in their singleplayer game?!

And they would've gotten away with it if -- well, no they wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, almost the most insulting part is where they're putting out three of the pip-boy colors this time and three next time. Gotta space em out for maximum sales potential uh I mean the modder hadn't finished making the red tinted version yet.