Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ok cool, it was just a lot to take in and try to parse the "rules" of All for One on the fly. it helps a lot too to understand more what One for All actually is which i realized when talking with a friend. i was of the understanding that One for All was a collection of quirks that kept growing, like for example first OFA gets passed to someone with flight, then when it get passes to a guy with super strength that guy also has flight, then when it gets passed down to a guy with xray vision he can now fly and be super strong. my friend corrected me that One for All is more a power in its own right, something that just started out super weak and the more it gets passed down the more it evolves and gains power.

my original thinking of the power made things confusing because it was hard to tell what the differences between One for All and All for One actually were since they sounded pretty similar. now I better understand OFA is one power biding its time and getting stronger and AFO is just literal 1-for-1 quirk redistribution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All For One is a spectacular villain, but probably won't actually be doing much until Season 3. :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kaubocks posted:

ok cool, it was just a lot to take in and try to parse the "rules" of All for One on the fly. it helps a lot too to understand more what One for All actually is which i realized when talking with a friend. i was of the understanding that One for All was a collection of quirks that kept growing, like for example first OFA gets passed to someone with flight, then when it get passes to a guy with super strength that guy also has flight, then when it gets passed down to a guy with xray vision he can now fly and be super strong. my friend corrected me that One for All is more a power in its own right, something that just started out super weak and the more it gets passed down the more it evolves and gains power.

my original thinking of the power made things confusing because it was hard to tell what the differences between One for All and All for One actually were since they sounded pretty similar. now I better understand OFA is one power biding its time and getting stronger and AFO is just literal 1-for-1 quirk redistribution

Basically All For One and his Brother had quirks that mirrored eachother.

All For One himself has no powers innate to himself other than to steal the powers of others and either use them, or distribute them.

One For All has no innate power either- his quirk isn't to steal anything. His quirk can only pass itself on, and only when he wants to. All For One cannot steal it. It merged with a Power Stockpiling quirk that was forced on him by All For One (either out of pity, or as a means to control him). Thus you now have a quirk that stockpiles super strength slowly with the benefit of being able to be passed on from user to user.

All For One is insanely loving dangerous- if it isn't insanely clear from the explanation he creates the Noumu. He steals quirks from other people, then modifies victims to be able to handle the burden of multiple quirks. Well, "Handle the Burden" by fixing their bodies/brains just enough that they can fight and follow orders- the person they were is utterly dead.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm very excited for what is to come based on this episode's exposition

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The soundtrack during the whole explanation is great.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm catching up on the dub and holy hell Stain's scene before he passes out after saving Deku is fully sick and insanely good. Really happy with how well they adapted it.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

They've been killing it on the dub, I don't mind being a week or two behind as a result.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dj Meow Mix posted:

They've been killing it on the dub, I don't mind being a week or two behind as a result.

Yeah I totally agree, I feel like all the voices are really well done and two weeks is such a small price to pay. I'm a manga reader too and it's been great imagining dialogue from the manga in the dub voices, really makes it a much more fun experience!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

I'm catching up on the dub and holy hell Stain's scene before he passes out after saving Deku is fully sick and insanely good. Really happy with how well they adapted it.

Yeah the scene where Stain's killing will is so strong even Endeavor is taken a back and then they realize he's already passed out is my favorite from the comic and the show did an excellent job with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I should catch the dub. I feel like having two extra weeks would really improve the dub, give it some time to gestate.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Radish posted:

Yeah the scene where Stain's killing will is so strong even Endeavor is taken a back and then they realize he's already passed out is my favorite from the comic and the show did an excellent job with it.

It was so well done! What I really appreciated and I can't recall if it's in the manga but if it is it doesn't quite have the same impact is in the following episode when you see a recording of that scene. The contrast between how it felt for people present and how it is in the recording is really stark.

Waffleman_ posted:

I should catch the dub. I feel like having two extra weeks would really improve the dub, give it some time to gestate.

I haven't noticed any changes in quality but maybe if you watched old episodes compared to new there'd be audio improvements or less awkward lines. Not that I thought either of those things were present in the simuldub. If it's just so the VAs and script writers aren't under crippling pressure that's pretty fair imo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I've only seen clips but the dub has a super good translation of a lot of poo poo in addition to good VA which is really nice for a series with lots of gags and also in general.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

It's gotten better since the tournament arc in my opinion, but that might influenced by the number of Bakugou scenes. His english VA is so drat good

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I haven't watched much of the season 2 dub, entirely because Tsuyu's Japanese VA is so good

That's literally my only reason

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I just started watching the dub of this show and I'm greatly enjoying it. I think Deku also sounds a lot like Morty (from Rick and Morty) so that also enhances the experience.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah I recently caught up with the dub and it's really good. If it wasn't two weeks behind the sub, I'd probably watch the dub exclusively.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Funimation has been doing some excellent dub work for the last few years now all around. Their script writing/localization usually makes for an equal-or-better experience compared to subtitles. Helps too when their casting pool is as huge as it is. Even when they bring in Chris Sabat we're still far removed from the time when Steve Blum/Wendy Lee voiced everyone in everything.

I can't really imagine what kind of work flow goes behind their simuldubs, especially when they kept up with the actual weekly releases for as long as they did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chris Sabat in particular must have a tent set up in the recording booth. He's doing both DB Super and MHA every week, and he's a pretty accomplished audio director, too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Was anyone else kind of hoping Stain would get away with killing Souga?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wrong thread hon

e: for anyone who saw it don't worry it's from the spin-off prequel not future stuff :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wrong thread.

We even changed the titles so this would not happen.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 22, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't think he's gonna be back to edit the post. :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/copyquirk/status/897477057428553732

:yeah:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bell peppers and gently caress YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ein should've just been the principal. Or basically anyone but Mineta, because people liked Ein.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Mei Hatsume should have been Edward

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 26, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's neat but All Might should be Jet and Bakugo Vicious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wish I woulda been told earlier that there was no episode this week.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:(

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

oh, this explains why i can't find it anywhere

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was preempted by something called 24 Hour TV, according to the Crunchy page.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWO8GWmdN3U this kinda rules

Waffleman_ posted:

:negative:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Let's look at some prototype character designs to tide us over.

All Might
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/902510797732986880

Deku: now with 100% more edge
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/902512865600389120

Mt. Lady, who maybe was actually going to be the lead?
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/902517062672687104

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/902513466065301505

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/902517788002025472

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've always been glad Deku's bunny ears costume lasted basically one fight then never returned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kinda dig Mt. Lady's totally-not-Evangelion suit, though it's probably not the right kind of aesthetic for Western superhero stuff. One of the best little things about MHA is the consistency of the character aesthetic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Radish posted:

I've always been glad Deku's bunny ears costume lasted basically one fight then never returned.

I think you mean Fiend Kid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I realize the thematic importance, but a part of me still wishes that Deku had come up with a better hero name.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
sadboy deku owns and mt lady should've been the protag.

a lazy mid-late 20's woman who just wants money and fame is a great lead

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

PMush Perfect posted:

I realize the thematic importance, but a part of me still wishes that Deku had come up with a better hero name.

For someone who had been quirkless only a few months ago, and who doesn't fully understand exactly what his quirk is, I don't think he had a whole lot of options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's stated that he can change it later, at least.

Somewhat related: I love the thematic consistency of Deku becoming a better hero by using the lessons learned from observing other characters in his own way. Most notable recent examples being his Gran Torino bouncing and his Bakubatics.

• Locked thread