Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That would take two years, and be called EU5.

Still should do it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh my god I think they upstaged Corruption. The Professionalism chart is a loving farce.

dev diary posted:

20 - Supply Depot Ability unlocked for army. (2 years of 50% extra supply in a province, lost instantly if an enemy takes it)
40 - Refill Garrison Ability unlocked for army
60 - Disbanded Units are returned to the manpower pool
80 - Military Generals cost half-price to recruit
100 - Your reserves take 50% less morale damage.

Supply Depot - Should be available by default, should last longer. An Army does not to be "professional" to establish a supply depot, and it definitely should not cost mil power
Refill Garrison - Should be available by default, should cost milpower just like assaulting and cannon blasting a fort. An Army being more professional does not make it's soldiers more capable of garrisoning a fortress once they sized it.
Disbanded Units are returned to the manpower pool - Should be how it works by default, this is loving stupidity in its purest form
Military Generals cost half-price to recruit - The way generals are recruited needs to be overhauled in the first place, this helps mitigate the awful way it works right now. A nice boon to have if you have high Military TRADITION.
Your reserves take 50% less morale damage. - A nice bonus to have if you have high Military TRADITION.

I need a bigger :cripes:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

That would take two years, and be called EU5.

Still should do it though.

I'm really okay with that at this point.

I don't know what they need to do, but they need to rethink how DLC works going with their next generation of games. Paying a subscription to a single player game doesn't quite work, but they need to do seasons or something, and fold old seasons into the base game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh my god I think they upstaged Corruption. The Professionalism chart is a loving farce.

Supply Depot - Should be available by default, should last longer. An Army does not to be "professional" to establish a supply depot, and it definitely should not cost mil power
Refill Garrison - Should be available by default, should cost milpower just like assaulting and cannon blasting a fort. An Army being more professional does not make it's soldiers more capable of garrisoning a fortress once they sized it.
Disbanded Units are returned to the manpower pool - Should be how it works by default, this is loving stupidity in its purest form
Military Generals cost half-price to recruit - The way generals are recruited needs to be overhauled in the first place, this helps mitigate the awful way it works right now. A nice boon to have if you have high Military TRADITION.
Your reserves take 50% less morale damage. - A nice bonus to have if you have high Military TRADITION.

I need a bigger :cripes:

Given what I've seen in the Military History thread about armies of that time period, most of that poo poo is downright unrealistic for any amount of professionalism.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
EUIV won't get rolled into EUV until they want to revamp trade again + one more core system like colonisation or autonomy. Which is a shame because it's getting too complex to be enjoyable for even us veterans as far as I can tell.

My read is that these mini-expansions are being used to fund the map revisions on various parts of the globe, but hopefully this doesn't go for too much longer.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wafflecopper posted:

:psyduck:

I mean I get that they're trying to nerf mercs but a mercenary is literally a professional soldier by definition

Mercenaries in the EU4 time period were often closer to looters than soldiers, especially in peak EU4 (30 years' war) time period. That said EU4 does a really poor job of modelling regular armies, which really shouldn't exist for most of the time period.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think the thing its self seems pretty cool, fun, and addresses a significant balance issue, but I agree it should have not been yet another discrete system.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I also think mercs just need a harder nerf in general. Smaller pool of available units, increasingly escalating costs, etc.

Having a big proportion of your forces be mercs is fine for a small nation, but a big country should only be able to use them as supplementary forces, and China or whatever hiring 100,000+ mercs is just inane.

EDIT: Which reminds me, I keep meaning to just flat out mod mercs out of the game for a test and see how it goes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

just pretend regular soldiers are mercs and mercs are super mercs

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Make Army Professionalism tied to the Mandate of Heaven so the Ming is punished for merc spam.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, it really feels like they should have just used this as an excuse to flesh out Army Tradition and give it all of these effects. I guess they probably want a more obvious feature to sell, but this is just kind of annoying, especially with how weirdly obtuse army tradition is in the current version of the game.

Professionalism isn't even a DLC feature so I don't know why the gently caress it has to work this way. I actually like the concept but why can't it just replace army tradition or at least supplant it in some ways. Let army tradition be specifically to do with officer recruitment or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

And there's still absolutely no way to automate your armies. Late game sure is fun and not at all tedious when you have to control hundreds of thousands of troops across the entire world manually!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
there is, there's automated rebel suppression which alleviates the main reason you'd actually want to let your dudes do things unattended.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fister Roboto posted:

And there's still absolutely no way to automate your armies. Late game sure is fun and not at all tedious when you have to control hundreds of thousands of troops across the entire world manually!

It does seem like it would be cool to have a 'front commander' type AI, where you could assign the 25k troops and 30 ships in South Africa to take Objective Forts A & B, and the AI would just have at it and report back to when done. Like, for minor theateres with low threat levels.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I honestly don't think I'd want the AI controlling my armies. I mean, I guess maybe a 'run away if there's any danger' checkbox, but what else would you really automate?

If you really want AI control of your armies, feel free to attach to a friendly AI army, but they always manage to screw up in new and interesting ways whenever I do that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd be fine with the just the ability to hand over control of an army to the AI. The AI is definitely capable of getting poo poo done, and when you've got a million dudes to smash into the enemy you don't need whoever's controlling them to be perfect. In any case I think it's ridiculous that you need to manually control every unit in a game of this scope and scale.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fintilgin posted:

It does seem like it would be cool to have a 'front commander' type AI, where you could assign the 25k troops and 30 ships in South Africa to take Objective Forts A & B, and the AI would just have at it and report back to when done. Like, for minor theateres with low threat levels.

Similarly, it would be very nice to assign an army to a region or whatever, tell it to defend this from any stacks it thinks it can beat, and yell if a more powerful army enters. Would be even better for Fleets.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Only one way to stop the game from heading more and more into this bad direction, stop buying the DLCs. They need to refocus and merge systems, because some of it is just way too complex and achieves nothing. This Army Tradition V2 is a perfect example for it.
EU4 has been on a downwards slope for the last two DLCs, hopefully they fix that.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

AnoHito posted:

I honestly don't think I'd want the AI controlling my armies. I mean, I guess maybe a 'run away if there's any danger' checkbox, but what else would you really automate?

carpet sieging, that poo poo is incredibly tedious and if you get to the point where you can do it safely theres not much reason not to do it

this is already kind of in the game but you can only retake things that rebels have captured from you. even if it was just Rebel Suppression But Also War Enemies that'd be plenty

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They already have a really great system for automating fleet actions, why not have a similar system for armies? I just want to select an army and give it general orders like "hold the frontline" or "besiege enemy forts" or "hunt down enemy armies", not specific orders like "go to Stockholm and do absolutely nothing until I tell you to".

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Prop Wash posted:

I'm glad for army tradition and army professionalism to be two entirely different and completely unrelated statistics

If you're Prussia you het militarization too!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fintilgin posted:

I also think mercs just need a harder nerf in general. Smaller pool of available units, increasingly escalating costs, etc.

Having a big proportion of your forces be mercs is fine for a small nation, but a big country should only be able to use them as supplementary forces, and China or whatever hiring 100,000+ mercs is just inane.

EDIT: Which reminds me, I keep meaning to just flat out mod mercs out of the game for a test and see how it goes.
One possibility would be to make available mercs be based on the total development of bordering provinces.

Alternatively, the Condottieri system and mercenaries could be combined into a sort of middle ground between the two - since they're basically modelling the same thing as far as I can tell? Hiring mercs would then be a diplomatic action of sorts, though probably best integrated into a simple recruitment interface which just showed you available mercs (based on whether these countries actually wanted to allow you to hire their troops), their cost, the country you're hiring them from, and how large a chunk of the cost the country in question gets. With the addition of national ideas that modify those numbers, you could make it so some countries can even make mercenaries a significant part of their income.

In both cases, the number of available mercs relative to your own army would drop as you grow larger, plus you might grow so large that countries would be more reluctant to offer your mercs, further restricting their use. Conversely, if you're rivaling/fighting the country everyone is afraid of, you'd be able to supplement your forces far more easily - which would be a natural anti-snowballing mechanism.

Fister Roboto posted:

They already have a really great system for automating fleet actions, why not have a similar system for armies? I just want to select an army and give it general orders like "hold the frontline" or "besiege enemy forts" or "hunt down enemy armies", not specific orders like "go to Stockholm and do absolutely nothing until I tell you to".
You could literally just use the subject interaction system, except you select the "stance" for each army.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I agree 100% with Fister Roboto - the game needs something to reduce micro in mid-to-late game wars. Needing to occupy dozens (or hundreds) of individual provinces manually is a huuuuge slog. Even if I had the ability to tell little 1 man armies to occupy any land in state/region autonomously, with a checkbox to avoid hostile armies, I would be a really happy camper.

Right now they are making army management more complicated without removing any of the tedium.

I also think that they need to make level 6 and 8 forts more expensive both to build and maintain (50% for level 6 and 200% for level 8) - anyone covering their country in them is just annoying as gently caress to deal with and historically no one had that many massive fortification complexes across the length and breadth of their lands - they were used strategically in highly important areas (crossings, passes, major cities, ect). Lower level forts still block movement and re-claim adjacent provinces from occupiers so there would not be a loss of functionality, but it would mean that high-level forts would be a more strategic decision.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
As part of the merc nerf you could let the player spend money to increase recruitment and effectively buy manpower (with diminishing returns) and draft/press manpower with big war exhaustion & stability hit.

Remove the current mercs altogether and enhance the condottori system.

Or.. yeah... add "army tradition 2" instead...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

As part of the merc nerf you could let the player spend money to increase recruitment and effectively buy manpower (with diminishing returns) and draft/press manpower with big war exhaustion & stability hit.
This is already in the game with the State Edict granting a manpower increase.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

YF-23 posted:

Mercenaries in the EU4 time period were often closer to looters than soldiers, especially in peak EU4 (30 years' war) time period.

this is really untrue, read some of HEY GAL's posts in the milhist thread, she studies 30YW mercs

sure they provisioned themselves by looting and extorting from local villages but they were definitely professional soldiers and for many of them it was a family affair, your dad was a merc and you grew up in army camps then you became a merc too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is already in the game with the State Edict granting a manpower increase.
Oh, yeah. Those are in the game. I keep forgetting about them since they are a little hidden away.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
So I'm playing Castile as my first game, took over most of Iberia and lucked into a personal union over England (which sent my Aggressive Expansion through the goddamned roof since I had to fight Austria for it) by 1500. England is the only other colonizing power so far so I have no real competition on that front.

I picked Exploration/Expansion as my first ideas. From searching online it sounds like most people view Expansion as a trap pick? I picked it up for the quick extra colonist but am curious about what everyone else thinks of it. I'm starting to wish I'd gone with Administrative instead since my coring costs are pretty intense and the bonuses from Expansion are much weaker than Exploration overall.

Are the military ideas relatively well balanced? I'm looking into picking up either Quantity or Offensive but leaning toward the former because my manpower is heavily depleted.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm no expert but Expansion seems pretty much garbage to me and I can't think of any reason to pick it over any other admin idea group.

Those are considered very good choices for military ideas. Military ideas are fairly well balanced, if you ignore Naval. Not sure about Aristocratic but it does provide some nice bonuses.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Eldred posted:

So I'm playing Castile as my first game, took over most of Iberia and lucked into a personal union over England (which sent my Aggressive Expansion through the goddamned roof since I had to fight Austria for it) by 1500. England is the only other colonizing power so far so I have no real competition on that front.

I picked Exploration/Expansion as my first ideas. From searching online it sounds like most people view Expansion as a trap pick? I picked it up for the quick extra colonist but am curious about what everyone else thinks of it. I'm starting to wish I'd gone with Administrative instead since my coring costs are pretty intense and the bonuses from Expansion are much weaker than Exploration overall.

Are the military ideas relatively well balanced? I'm looking into picking up either Quantity or Offensive but leaning toward the former because my manpower is heavily depleted.

Quality and Defensive are the two people usually go with, which one is a matter of taste. Offensive is pretty okay, too.
Quantity is a bit of a trap. You get more troops, but they don't fight nearly as well. Especially when you run into France's 20% morale bonus. Take it only if you're really having trouble with manpower.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eldred posted:

Expansion is overall a really bad Idea group, yeah. However, if you are colonizing, it is critical for that extra colonist, +10 base Colonists/month, and the Policy that you get for having Exploration and Expansion that grants you +20 colonists/month. The extra merchant, 20% Trade Power, and reduced State Maintenance also help but, if you ask me, any admin pick is better than Expansion unless you are colonizing, and even then, once you get your colonial Nations off of the ground you could drop it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I started the flame of the revolution but it's giving me an absolutely ridiculous -100 papal influence. What the gently caress? I have amazing relations with the Papal States, religious ideas and 100% true faith everywhere. Why would they get so blorged about things? It takes away the entire point in being Catholic. It's like if it gave a -100% penalty to church power and fervor as well. :smith:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hadn't you heard that being a fanatic absolutist is a necessary component of Catholicism

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Poil posted:

I started the flame of the revolution but it's giving me an absolutely ridiculous -100 papal influence. What the gently caress? I have amazing relations with the Papal States, religious ideas and 100% true faith everywhere. Why would they get so blorged about things? It takes away the entire point in being Catholic. It's like if it gave a -100% penalty to church power and fervor as well. :smith:

Part of the revolution involved telling the pope to go gently caress himself, and refusing to accept papal supremacy on any matters.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bah. But then why didn't I get any negative relations at all? They're still at 170+ relations.

And why would my government and people suddenly not listen to the pope? The popes have done nothing but being bros and supporting no matter what my country did. We would be all like hey we're running this place in this way now and the pope would be all like cool I support you guys as always and if you want to I can tell the other nations god is totally in favor of you guys and we'd be like thanks dude and things would remain good.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 29, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Poil posted:

Bah. But then why didn't I get any negative relations at all? They're still at 170+ relations.

Well I mean they got to protect the brand, it ain't personal.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

"But they were just so darn nice about it!"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Poil posted:

The pope as leader of the Catholic Church has different interests than the pope as leader of the Papal State.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eldred posted:

Expansion isn't very good unless you're a colonizer, which you are. You can drop it later in the game (late 1600s or so) when the extra colonist becomes less valuable.

Quantity or Defensive would probably be my top picks in your situation. Castile gets morale and discipline from their ideas and a strong Age bonus (Tercios) so your armies will still be pretty decent. However, you will want a large army to expand your colonial holdings, fight in Europe, and also keep England happy. Having a large army reduces their Liberty Desire.

Exploration-Expansion-Quantity (or Defensive) is 100% what I would pick as Castile, Portugal, or England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Friendship transcends politics :unsmith:

• Locked thread