Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Blattdorf posted:

You'd think they'd make a new version of the Build engine, in spirit at least, after all these years. The things people do with it are crazy.

Nearly all the fun bits of the proper BUILD engine has been incorporated into improved Doom engines in the meantime, is I think why vastly improved BUILD engines haven't caught on in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, aside from entire sectors moving around the map. You can move walls, sure (polyobjects), but the floors/ceilings themselves are statically linked to the BSP. You can't do something like a subway moving around the map like Duke 3D did.

Though really, if that's all you're missing, you can still do a pretty good facsimile of a Build-engine game even without it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

Only $20?

(This is in USD.)

EDIT:

I don't understand who is still paying $60 for Ghosts!? Black Ops is still $40 and that's a 7 year old game :psyduck:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Levitate posted:

I liked Call of Duty when it was about shooting Nazis

The original Call of Duty (and the expansion, United Offensive) are two of the best single player campaigns in all FPS imo.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm having a weird issue with High Noon Drifter where the starting pistol doesn't work. I collect bullets but the gun just dry-fires. The melee alt-fire works just fine.

The boomerang, meanwhile, is a blast.

Don't forget to reload, Dr. Freeman.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Kins posted:

Only $20?

(This is in USD.)

EDIT:

90 dollars for black ops 2?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, aside from entire sectors moving around the map. You can move walls, sure (polyobjects), but the floors/ceilings themselves are statically linked to the BSP. You can't do something like a subway moving around the map like Duke 3D did.

Floors/Ceilings can be referenced wherever at anytime. It's the walls that are static to the BSP.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, I mean the walls that move don't get separate sectors to play with floor/ceiling values - like, if you had a polyobject box moving around, the floor/ceiling heights/flats are gonna be the same inside the box as they would be outside, as that information's tied to static walls and the sectors they define, not dynamic ones.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Trailblazer, Guncaster and D4T are drat fun and on top of my favourite Doom mods.

What strikes me is, what are the main differences between Doom4Doom and D4T? I've been playing D4T lately since it had more updates and thought it was just a newer D4D.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

thanks for the recommendations friends, i'm trying out guncaster which is fun and a little overwhelming

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This is not my beautiful UAC Mars Base

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

thanks for the recommendations friends, i'm trying out guncaster which is fun and a little overwhelming

Remember to go into settings and bind stuff to the shop buttons.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Lemon-Lime posted:

Infinite Warfare's single player is dull, appallingly written and completely squanders any potential for innovation from its setting.

The multiplayer is the usual badly-designed, badly-balanced garbage CoD games on PC have been since after CoD4 (with few exceptions, like Black Ops 1) except this time it's also riddled with microtransactions, which is why it has bad reviews.

I think you are wrong, IW is really fun multiplayer. Not as fun as Advanced Warfare's, but still competent. (alot of the DLC maps are way too big) The singleplayer's writing is pretty bad but it's atleast fun to play up until the Tigris gets blown up, then it gets really stupid.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mogomra posted:

I know it's not Halloween yet, but I want to get a jump on things to make sure I'm prepared.

What are some good horror mods and WADs?

Haunted Nukem is a fun Duke Halloween mod, and I think it's supposed to be getting an update at some point this year, probably October. There's also a map called Dracula's Castle that's pretty good, a light-hearted Halloween map, if I remember right it's supposed to be a part of the Duke Spookem mod, if that's still being made (I hope it is). I've also been playing the Alien Extermination mod for Duke, and it's got a couple moments.

There's A Heretic Halloween, and for Doom2 there's Curst, a three map Halloween WAD, and dead.wire which is... strange.

Also, as always, Death Wish for Blood. Most Blood mods, really, but Death Wish is the best.

As for Call of Duty, I enjoy it now and again, but they are so hideously expensive, Black Ops was the last one I played. I do want to pick up Infinite Warfare, but mostly because the zombie mode is basically all kinds of poo poo I love. Although, I gotta say, I'm very disappointed that they decided to just do zombies, it seemed like each studio was doing their own thing. Treyarch had zombies, Sledgehammer had exo-zombies which was at least slightly different, and then Infinity Ward had an alien mode in Ghosts. And then they do a straight sci-fi game and it's zombies? You had the perfect opportunity for more aliens!

Edit: vv For some reason I keep forgetting this and so it's a wonderful surprise when I'm reminded.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 29, 2017

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

catlord posted:

Also, as always, Death Wish for Blood.

I'm updating this before Halloween this year!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RyokoTK posted:

The original Call of Duty (and the expansion, United Offensive) are two of the best single player campaigns in all FPS imo.

Yeah all the IW campaigns were good, it was when JV treyarch had to fart out a mid-cycle sequel they were lousy. CoD3 didn't even come out on pc for gods sake

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Regular Nintendo posted:

Yeah all the IW campaigns were good, it was when JV treyarch had to fart out a mid-cycle sequel they were lousy. CoD3 didn't even come out on pc for gods sake

Not like we missed much on PC with that one. We had much better WWII games on PC these days.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Call of Duty: United Offensive is still to this day one of my favorite multiplayer experiences. The larger levels with more complex objectives, the greater weapon variety and the addition of vehicles add a lot to the CoD1 gameplay. It changes multi into something closer to Battlefield 1942, except actually good ( :colbert: )

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 29, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Guillermus posted:

Now let's talk about videogames that actually came out and this goddamn amazing video recreating a single map for Half-Life, Opposing Forces and Blue Shift, tracking down what happened all the time on these three games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu4GXUHfU0

This was way cool. Ty

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Regular Nintendo posted:

I dunno, I preferred World at War and Black Ops to Modern Warfare 1 and 2. And I never did finish the American campaign of CoD2. Haven't played the first game or UO though (seriously? $30 on Steam?). 3 had a Polish campaign, I kinda wish it'd come to PC because you don't really see that perspective in media.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Afraid of Monsters is good

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Halfquake Amen is the best HL mod

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Nah that's rocket crowbar

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Does nobody seriously remember Hammy-Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRklHMh0kQ

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Now let's talk about videogames that actually came out and this goddamn amazing video recreating a single map for Half-Life, Opposing Forces and Blue Shift, tracking down what happened all the time on these three games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu4GXUHfU0
The only real quibble I have with that video is that I kinda think Shephard's story should have started earlier, since there's a scene somewhere in the first third of Blue Shift where Barney spies some Marines bitching about how Shephard's team didn't make it, and that's relatively soon after the resonance cascade. On the other hand, I guess the creator didn't like the idea of Shephard showing up at the beginning, only to be knocked unconscious for an entire day before his story starts.

I also noted that Half Life: Decay wasn't included, but that's no skin off my nose because a) the guy doing this project may either have not have known about the PC port or been unable to get it running, and b) including Decay may have made the project ever more difficult, since apparently its storyline makes an even bigger mess of the sequence of events.

Quibbles aside, this is a fantastic piece of work. Reminds of the sort of nerdly timeline-organizing stuff I liked to do as a kid. I can't really think of any other games with multiple player characters wandering through the same location simultaneously that you could use for a project like this. The only one that immediately comes to mind is the first Dishonored and its DLCs, and that doesn't really count since Corvo and Daud only visit the same parts of Dunwall weeks apart from each other.

Also, I think the Black Mesa emergency broadcast bulletin was a teaser the Black Mesa team put out to promote the retail release of their remake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCrrmKwBCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLQJ4b1AQJk (a second bulletin released shortly after that's slightly more ominous)

Levitate posted:

I liked Call of Duty when it was about shooting Nazis
Gotta ask, what do you think about the new game that's coming out? I've been wondering lately if people wanting to make WW2 shooters have a major problem with trying to find some angle on the conflict that games from the WW2 boom of the 2000s didn't cover. As an example, the newest WW2 shooter I've played yet was Enemy Front, and while I was going through it, I kept looking at the locations, weapons, and setpieces and thinking "yeah, I've seen that before in MoH/CoD/RTCW." The only thing that really stuck out for me were the parts taking place during the siege of Warsaw, and while I suspect that was only there because the game's developer was Polish, it was still the most memorable part of the game for me. With WW2 these days, it feels like you not only have to fight the memories of games past, you also have to fight the memories of the movies and miniseries that inspired those games.

Truth be told, I was kinda hoping Activision would go nuts and ask for a Korean War CoD. Touchy subject given the current political climate, but, hell, has anyone made a Korean War shooter before?

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

The correct answer is "Point of View," since you get to be a vortigaunt, and everything's better with vortigaunts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Marshal Radisic posted:

With WW2 these days, it feels like you not only have to fight the memories of games past, you also have to fight the memories of the movies and miniseries that inspired those games.

Honestly, I think you keyed onto the answer to this: they need to go for deeper pulls instead of poaching SPR/Band of Brothers/The Pacific constantly.

Like, gimme a walking simulator/survival-horror shooter set in WWII Russia inspired by Come and See. Gimme something with Wehrmacht levels based on Cross of Iron. Hell, just straight-up adapt The Inglorious Bastards as a shooter. There's a loving wealth of really, really great WWII movies out there that these games aren't even touching in favor of going for the really obvious poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Marshal Radisic posted:

The only real quibble I have with that video is that I kinda think Shephard's story should have started earlier, since there's a scene somewhere in the first third of Blue Shift where Barney spies some Marines bitching about how Shephard's team didn't make it, and that's relatively soon after the resonance cascade. On the other hand, I guess the creator didn't like the idea of Shephard showing up at the beginning, only to be knocked unconscious for an entire day before his story starts.

I also noted that Half Life: Decay wasn't included, but that's no skin off my nose because a) the guy doing this project may either have not have known about the PC port or been unable to get it running, and b) including Decay may have made the project ever more difficult, since apparently its storyline makes an even bigger mess of the sequence of events.

Yeah I kept waiting and waiting for it to start, I mean it's been a long time since I've played opfor but I didn't remember it starting half way through hl proper

Is decay considered canon for hl? Tbh I've never played it, but I was under the impression it was just something that got thrown together for the ps2 version as a selling point

...and I have to admit what really got me was that this person didn't have hud_fastswitch 1 on lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've only played CoD1, 4 and (shudder) Ghosts. I wanna play through the Black Ops games and AW at some point though.

Also MoHAA was very good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Marshal Radisic posted:

[...]

Also, I think the Black Mesa emergency broadcast bulletin was a teaser the Black Mesa team put out to promote the retail release of their remake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCrrmKwBCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLQJ4b1AQJk (a second bulletin released shortly after that's slightly more ominous)

Ah, that's where the evacuation warning came from. Neat. As for Shephard, did they just say that he didn't show up or was there more to that conversation? Because that could just mean that his team was delayed from wherever they were coming from rather than them dying. Of course, like I mentioned, it's been a while since I played Half-Life or its expansions.

As far as I know, Medal of Honor: Breakthrough is the only WW2 shooter to cover Italy, I think you could get some interesting stuff from that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I want to play Half Life: Uplink but I can't remember if it was good

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So I just reinstalled Half-Life and noticed that the security guards are actually saying 'boop boop boop boop' when they use keypads.

(I know it's probably just a glitch that snuck in sometime in the last couple decades but it's funnier this way)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

verbal enema posted:

I want to play Half Life: Uplink but I can't remember if it was good
It's pretty fun. Short but fun.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Casimir Radon posted:

It's pretty fun. Short but fun.

When I first heard of Half Life is was that game and I got it in a PC Accelerator magazine

Those demo discs were p cool to 9 y/o Verbal.

Had a buncha hot chicks in bikinis in the background

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

Is decay considered canon for hl? Tbh I've never played it, but I was under the impression it was just something that got thrown together for the ps2 version as a selling point

Valve doesn't seem to have any policy on "canonicity," but according to the two wikis I checked (of course there's two), the fandom considers Decay to be canon while Uplink, being a demo built around some level ideas Valve were never able to integrate into the main game, is not. On the other hand, I don't believe the story for Decay really adds anything to the greater canon other than some background details, so I suppose it can be ignored with little repercussion.

catlord posted:

Ah, that's where the evacuation warning came from. Neat. As for Shephard, did they just say that he didn't show up or was there more to that conversation? Because that could just mean that his team was delayed from wherever they were coming from rather than them dying. Of course, like I mentioned, it's been a while since I played Half-Life or its expansions.

The only thing the grunts in that scene say is that Shephard's team "didn't make it," which was probably intended to mean Shephard's team had been lost in the crash, but there's a sliver of room to weasel around in and assume they were delayed. I'm not gonna get too bent out of shape over it; more effort was made by this guy in putting together a coherent timeline than Valve and Gearbox combined put in twenty years ago.

Also, anyone know where all the background music/dialogue for the video comes from? I noticed the VOX voice and some Marine voices from Black Mesa, as well as some Marine transmissions from the original Half-Life and Opposing Force (and Modern Warfare 2?). I'm assuming all the music is from Black Mesa too.

FAKE EDIT: I've just realized the guy forgot to put in a Marine KIA counter for the video. We need to know how many souls Freeman The Blood-Drinker fed on that day. (Also, someone in the comments for the video posted that headcrabbed Black Mesa personnel aren't counted as casualties for some reason.)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Marshal Radisic posted:

The only thing the grunts in that scene say is that Shephard's team "didn't make it," which was probably intended to mean Shephard's team had been lost in the crash, but there's a sliver of room to weasel around in and assume they were delayed. I'm not gonna get too bent out of shape over it; more effort was made by this guy in putting together a coherent timeline than Valve and Gearbox combined put in twenty years ago.

[...]

FAKE EDIT: I've just realized the guy forgot to put in a Marine KIA counter for the video. We need to know how many souls Freeman The Blood-Drinker fed on that day. (Also, someone in the comments for the video posted that headcrabbed Black Mesa personnel aren't counted as casualties for some reason.)

Ah, the English language. Did the creator explain the Killed/Saved counter and how they came to those numbers? And at the end after the bomb went off, there was a huge number on the MIA counter. I assume that there's a canon personnel number and they just subtracted the numbers for dead and saved?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

Ah, the English language. Did the creator explain the Killed/Saved counter and how they came to those numbers? And at the end after the bomb went off, there was a huge number on the MIA counter. I assume that there's a canon personnel number and they just subtracted the numbers for dead and saved?
He didn't provide an explanation, but I think he was just counting the number of scientist/guard corpses and scientists/guards killed onscreen for his totals, and those that were "saved" are just people who didn't die onscreen before the nuke, rather than how many actually made it out of Black Mesa (which I think is, like 10-12 according to HL2 and Blue Shift?).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Marshal Radisic posted:

He didn't provide an explanation, but I think he was just counting the number of scientist/guard corpses and scientists/guards killed onscreen for his totals, and those that were "saved" are just people who didn't die onscreen before the nuke, rather than how many actually made it out of Black Mesa (which I think is, like 10-12 according to HL2 and Blue Shift?).

I was always curious as to how eli and whatshisface are supposed to have made it out

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

site posted:

I was always curious as to how eli and whatshisface are supposed to have made it out

They saw Gordon climb up a ladder in a collapsing elevator shaft, then took the stairs. :shrug:

Also, when and why did we get this: :dukedoge:

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I still play They Hunger around Halloween. It's easily my favorite mod. I love those vortigaunt skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Marshal Radisic posted:

I can't really think of any other games with multiple player characters wandering through the same location simultaneously that you could use for a project like this. The only one that immediately comes to mind is the first Dishonored and its DLCs, and that doesn't really count since Corvo and Daud only visit the same parts of Dunwall weeks apart from each other.

Resident Evils 4 and 6. Possibly 2 and 3 as well? Probably not RE1 though as I'm pretty sure the two campaigns are necessarily concurrent events.