Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FaustianQ posted:

All the work for Polaris 13 was done, they need only schedule production basically. They wasted money, they did not save any, and if the Vega reception is anything to go by they may lose more from that decision. Releasing Polaris 13 late in 2016 would have just been the better financial move, but I think AMD expected more form Vega, that it promised much better performance on paper and that with Vega 11 and Vega 12 (with Vega 11 likely expected to compete with Polaris 13 in this scenario) they'd only end up with an exceptionally short run of an expensive to build GPU. Vega just did not pan out at all and it's barely meeting the potential of Polaris 13 while consuming an insane amount of power to do so. With Vega for 7nm being entirely scrapped I can only assume this means AMD knows what's wrong with Vega and it is utterly unfixable. I am very very interested in an indepth takedown on what is going on inside Vega, I want someone to tell me if the brakes failed and how on this train wreck.

Or it's some hilarious dumbshit like the TLB bug.

I think they did expect much better performance from Vega, it would explain why they did that whole "Poor Volta" thing, they thought they were going to make something significantly faster than whatever Nvidia could do. As far as Polaris, maybe Vega was someone's pet project and Polaris was trashed because of that? Oh well, we'll find out years from now if we find out at all.

Man, I wonder what's up with Raja going silent for the past few weeks, you'd expect him to be out there trying to do something, anything PR wise but he's just been silent, internal politics or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Finding out some time ago that 2816 shader Polaris was a thing before it got shelved and and shipped off exclusively to Bone Xs is pretty :cawg:

And wasn't it when yields on Polaris were improving rapidly? Holy poo poo

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Just as I made a post about where AMD expected actual revenue to come from for Vega - https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...-MI-Series.html

If you're wondering where Vega is at all, well it looks like Apple and Baidu took them all. Maybe the earnings report will reveal a hilarious profit in GPUs for AMD regardless of the consumer disaster.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The biggest gains in compute datacenters came from AMD APUs though. Sure, you need to buy more chips, but they're cheaper and *far* more power efficient than cpu+dgpu combos for most compute tasks due to some memory bullshit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

Just as I made a post about where AMD expected actual revenue to come from for Vega - https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...-MI-Series.html

If you're wondering where Vega is at all, well it looks like Apple and Baidu took them all. Maybe the earnings report will reveal a hilarious profit in GPUs for AMD regardless of the consumer disaster.

With all their data center stuff with Epyc, AMD is killing it, especially with Baidu:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-epyc-datacenter-2017jun20.aspx

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

China is the only place they're being sold atm, they're kind of dragging their feet getting it to general vendors

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Who was the guy at AMD who said discrete GPUs were going the way of the dodo a few years back? Did AMD actually neuter their GPU division because of what he said? It would explain a lot.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yikes

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/3037-destiny-2-gpu-benchmark-frametimes-graphics-optimization

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Hoooly poo poo, dude.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Lol, reminds me of a 660ti graph

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
poor vega, so young and already has parkinson's

eames
May 9, 2009

Eh, that's so bad it's gotta be driver related.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh man, and Ryzen's pretty drat good with frametimes.

SAD!

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Looking at the data, the frametime results for "High" are what most would consider normal. Some setting in this application's "Highest" preset is causing Vega huge problems right now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Riflen posted:

Looking at the data, the frametime results for "High" are what most would consider normal. Some setting in this application's "Highest" preset is causing Vega huge problems right now.

Could it be related to the MSAA troubles that Vega has? I think that is one difference between the high and highest setting, SMAA vs MSAA

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Could it be related to the MSAA troubles that Vega has? I think that is one difference between the high and highest setting, SMAA vs MSAA

Destiny 2s highest preset does enable MSAA, but GN changed it to FXAA for their tests because Bungie says the MSAA path is still a work in progress. So it's not that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's probably one of the HBAO++++ things. It's a nvidia thing and it makes my 980Ti seem slow as a dead horse and outputs all the loving heat if I turn it on, and there's not even any perceptible difference between it and SSAO or whatever it's called.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

poor vega, so young and already has parkinson's

Nah, that's just the DTs. Drinking to forgets its launch. Or existence.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

It's probably one of the HBAO++++ things. It's a nvidia thing and it makes my 980Ti seem slow as a dead horse and outputs all the loving heat if I turn it on, and there's not even any perceptible difference between it and SSAO or whatever it's called.

Hmm, the highest AO setting is called "3D" which implies it's a world-space AO technique akin to Nvidia's VXAO. Bungie haven't said which algorithm 3DAO is based on, but if it's voxel based like VXAO then Vegas geometry bottleneck might be the problem.

Fast camera movement or a large number of moving objects would spike the amount of re-voxelization required per frame, which could push Vegas geometry processor over the edge and cause a stutter. That would explain the lulls where Vegas frametimes become smooth, if those are points where the scene is mostly static.

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 29, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

1gnoirents posted:

Lol, reminds me of a 660ti graph

:downs: I'm still running one of these.

repiv posted:

Hmm, the highest AO setting is called "3D" which implies it's a world-space AO technique akin to Nvidia's VXAO. Bungie haven't said which algorithm 3DAO is based on, but if it's voxel based like VXAO then Vegas geometry bottleneck might be the problem.

This was my assumption. They did note that 3DAO and DOF settings had the largest impact for an RX 580.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 29, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Man, I wonder what's up with Raja going silent for the past few weeks, you'd expect him to be out there trying to do something, anything PR wise but he's just been silent, internal politics or something?

Like I said I can't imagine the boardroom is super happy with how this launch went, RTG can't keep stumbling through launch after launch. Their competitiveness is dropping further and further, by the time Vega is actually available in non-paper-launch quantities with actual working drivers it may be going up against Volta. And this time they can't even dump it in the x60 market due to excessive manufacturing costs.

The silence from Raja this past month has been notable and at this point I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's because he was attempting to justify his continued tenure as head of RTG. Navi is going to be a long time off, and if he whiffs again where does that leave AMD?

I just don't see Raja getting more than one additional shot at the brass ring here, and even that one seems iffy to me.

(on the "paper launch" note: on top of the report of "a few hundred units for the North America region", some people who backordered Vega 56 from Amazon yesterday are showing October ship dates)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 29, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

All the work for Polaris 13 was done, they need only schedule production basically. They wasted money, they did not save any, and if the Vega reception is anything to go by they may lose more from that decision. Releasing Polaris 13 late in 2016 would have just been the better financial move, but I think AMD expected more form Vega, that it promised much better performance on paper and that with Vega 11 and Vega 12 (with Vega 11 likely expected to compete with Polaris 13 in this scenario) they'd only end up with an exceptionally short run of an expensive to build GPU. Vega just did not pan out at all and it's barely meeting the potential of Polaris 13 while consuming an insane amount of power to do so. With Vega for 7nm being entirely scrapped I can only assume this means AMD knows what's wrong with Vega and it is utterly unfixable. I am very very interested in an indepth takedown on what is going on inside Vega, I want someone to tell me if the brakes failed and how on this train wreck.

Or it's some hilarious dumbshit like the TLB bug.

[desire to know more intensifies]

Can you source this, or at least make a plausible argument for Polaris 13's existence? Also, can you source 7nm Vega being off the roadmap?

I'm a little dubious on the former. XB1X is a semi-custom SOC and the fact that XB1X has a bigger-than-P10 GPU doesn't prove a bigger-than-P10 standalone mask exists. On the other hand I don't think scaling GCN is as difficult as some people think it is, I don't fully understand why 4x 1024-core partitions would be some hard limit. Nothing is ever as easy as "just stamp out another shader engine" in practice but the engineering problems involved seem straightforward.

If the latter is true then holy poo poo, I've been musing about whether Vega is actually a solid enough base to build Navi on, and dropping Vega derivatives from the roadmap would be a massive red flag that AMD has absolutely no confidence in Vega.

I agree with the general thrust of your argument though. Around the end of Q1 2016 was when AMD dropped Fat Polaris, so I'd say at that stage they must have been confident that Vega would be releasing in Q4 2016, and that it would be competitive. Then it whiffed hardcore on performance, they probably expected it to be 30-50% faster than it actually was.

I don't tend to weight the whole "poor volta" thing too seriously, I think it was a throwaway jab from marketing rather than a serious attempt to telegraph that they were going to smoke Volta, but I would say that it probably shows they still had at least some confidence as late as the beginning of Q1 2017. By the start of Q2 they obviously knew it was going to be a dud and went radio silence, then lately of course we've gotten the blind-taste-test and other bullshit.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 29, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, can you source 7nm Vega being off the roadmap?

Early leaks mentioned a 7nm Vega20 coming in 2H 2018, but the official roadmap from a few months ago only slates Vega for 14nm and 14nm+. Presumably Vega20 was abandoned.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh my, dirty Vega :dong:

eames
May 9, 2009

Not what you're thinking, they blurred out the connector for the external power supply

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Also, lol that they were planning to make three 64CU chips in a row.

"4096 shaders ought to be enough for anybody" - Raja, probably

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Destiny 2 card comparison from Youtube:

Well with a few lowered settings my 980 ti can play @1440 at 60 fps. At 1080p midrange users in the 970/580/1060 range look alright.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 29, 2017

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Who the hell ordered the cards on those graphs? What a shitshow.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why don't they use a horizontal bar chart in desc order

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

CFox posted:

Who the hell ordered the cards on those graphs? What a shitshow.

Too busy rendering the cosmic reflections

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah they look super hosed up. Kids in basic excel classes can do a better job with graphics lol. The ones on GamersNexus look much better. But hey at least its good for comparison purposes

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
https://twitter.com/gchip/status/902578993920073728

Seems legit :rolleye:

edit:

https://twitter.com/cmurray201720/status/902609740693430278

:vince:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 29, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

last seen in a car steered by Nvidia Pascal :laffo:

eames fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
[ XP053D ]

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Oh wow. :munch:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

[desire to know more intensifies]

Can you source this, or at least make a plausible argument for Polaris 13's existence? Also, can you source 7nm Vega being off the roadmap?

I'm a little dubious on the former. XB1X is a semi-custom SOC and the fact that XB1X has a bigger-than-P10 GPU doesn't prove a bigger-than-P10 standalone mask exists. On the other hand I don't think scaling GCN is as difficult as some people think it is, I don't fully understand why 4x 1024-core partitions would be some hard limit. Nothing is ever as easy as "just stamp out another shader engine" in practice but the engineering problems involved seem straightforward.

I'm using Polaris 13 to refer to fat Polaris considering Polaris 10, 11 and 12 codenames are taken up. Sorry for any confusion. Repiv sources my source of Vega being dropped just below your post.

Also the issue with scaling GCN seems to be the 64 ROP barrier, not so much the shader limit. Adding more shaders past 3584 (possibly 3072) is quickly diminishing returns with 64 ROPs, and from what I can tell GCN can't just double the ROPs.

There is no way Raja isn't in danger of losing his job. No one pulls such a hard duck and cover and have fellow employees risk their reputation on poo poo like this unless it's that serious.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh no, no no no.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Did I miss something, why do they feel the need to explain where the guy is again? Did he miss a meeting or something?

Edit: Also I got "Baidu" confused with "Taobao", it's much funnier if all of Vega got snapped up to be resold on Taobao.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It wouldn't be RTG without massive, stupid unforced errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Those charts were rear end, so I fixed them.