Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Okua posted:

Here's some venting: Coming up with titles is haaaaard.
Is it even possible to come up with a fantasy title that doesn't sound cliche as hell.

Just shamelessly steal some 70s song title or something that sounds like a mis-remembered quote from a well-known franchise. That's what my Kindle keeps recommending to me, anyway.

Like, I just played a show this weekend, I don't need you going "Play Read Free Bird!", too. rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Thranguy posted:

Nah, the people chasing Eddings readers beat it into paste; the people following Jordan beat it the paste into dust, and the Martin followers are beating it to atoms and quarks.

(And X of Y where Y stays the same for at least a few books was an established formula even earlier. Shanarra/Gor/Dray Prescot)

Yeah, this is far more accurate than what I said.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Seriously, check all this poo poo out:
Name of the Wind
House of the Scorpion
Sword of Destiny
Six of Crows
Wheel of Time
Lord of the Rings
Tale of Two Cities
Count of Monte Cristo
Stranger of a Stanger Land

Edit: 30 minutes later remembered my working title right now is Amulet of Air :lol:

A third of those were written before it was cliche though (and another third of them are garbage).

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 28, 2017

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Edit: 30 minutes later remembered my working title right now is Amulet of Air :lol:

Consider jazzing it up with a subtitle like "Amulet of Air: A Good Book, part of the Hell Yeah Fantastical Book Cycle"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
amulet of air: ascension; a novel by a novelist, part 1 in an epic fantasy series

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Seriously, check all this poo poo out:
Wind's Name
Scorpion's House
Destiny's Sword
Crows' Six
Time's Wheel
The Rings' Lord
Two Cities' Tale
Monte Cristo's Count
Stranger Land's Stranger

Here, I made these titles better for you.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

crabrock posted:

here are some fantasy titles i came up with for you:

SWORD TROMBONE
SEASONAL VESTIBULE
THE OWNER OF A VARIABLE AMOUNT OF THINGS
THE REVERSE ECLIPSE
GONE BONES
LAFFY TAFFY GOBLIN SLAYER
VALEDICTORIAN KNIGHT
WIRELESS TREBUCHET
THE JOY OF IMPROPER FOOD SANITATION
A LIFE DEFINED BY BUBBLES
HUGE JACKMAN
THE GREENTHUMB WIZARD'S GROWING DIARY
WHET HOT AURTHURIAN SUMMER
EQUESTRIAN FINESSE
UNITED STEAKS
PIG WHIP
THE PERILS OF THE FACE HUNT
THE STORM THAT WAS CANCELED

I am legitimately interested in reading most of these. "The Owner of a Variable Amount of Things" is great but I want to learn more about this whole Growing Diary.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I detect a new Thunderdome theme in the making.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

I detect a new Thunderdome theme in the making.

Someone make this a thing please! And also mine crabrock for more fantastic titles

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
PIG WHIP

WHIG PIP

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

anime was right posted:

amulet of air: ascension; a novel by a novelist, part 1 in an epic fantasy series

Amulet of Air: Ascension, a novel by a novelist, part 1 of the Summermist Knight of Dragons Cycle

Stuporstar posted:

A third of those were written before it was cliche though (and another third of them are garbage).

this.... this was the joke ;___;

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 29, 2017

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I name my stories after what I feel is the most important element in them, which is why the serious ones have dumb names like Blue Star. Although last year's Nano novel was Have Phylactery, Will Travel, which is dumb for different reasons and not all that accurate to the feel of the story.

Relevant to discussion: Neural network makes story titles.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I name my stories after what I feel is the most important element in them, which is why the serious ones have dumb names like Blue Star. Although last year's Nano novel was Have Phylactery, Will Travel, which is dumb for different reasons and not all that accurate to the feel of the story.

Relevant to discussion: Neural network makes story titles.

So what's going on with Blue Star anyway?

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Sitting Here posted:

So what's going on with Blue Star anyway?

It's been sitting, mostly, while I write other stuff. I reread what little I have of the third draft yesterday so it's been on my mind again. It's been hard to get back into it for a number of reasons- plotting, pacing, tightening up characters- and I can't seem to get my thoughts in order. I've actually been thinking of doing the post-it note method to try and get things ironed out but I'm leery of trying that until we get moved into our new place, and I want to use the deadline of Nano to push myself into actually writing the drat 3.5 draft but before then I have to have things plotted so that I know where I'm going. I still have some really good emails saved from- what, two years ago? (Three? Jesus.) that I'm using as my current basis for reworking but it'll be a lot easier if I have someone sitting down with me and talking it out chapter by chapter. Whatever. That's probably editing and I'm getting ahead of myself.

I've tried rewriting Star multiple times but every time I try I get overwhelmed and go immerse myself in writing new stuff instead. I'm honored that you remember it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

It's been sitting, mostly, while I write other stuff. I reread what little I have of the third draft yesterday so it's been on my mind again. It's been hard to get back into it for a number of reasons- plotting, pacing, tightening up characters- and I can't seem to get my thoughts in order. I've actually been thinking of doing the post-it note method to try and get things ironed out but I'm leery of trying that until we get moved into our new place, and I want to use the deadline of Nano to push myself into actually writing the drat 3.5 draft but before then I have to have things plotted so that I know where I'm going. I still have some really good emails saved from- what, two years ago? (Three? Jesus.) that I'm using as my current basis for reworking but it'll be a lot easier if I have someone sitting down with me and talking it out chapter by chapter. Whatever. That's probably editing and I'm getting ahead of myself.

I've tried rewriting Star multiple times but every time I try I get overwhelmed and go immerse myself in writing new stuff instead. I'm honored that you remember it.

I still think Blue Star has a wicked cool premise. I hope you keep at that one, but if you're writing new stuff, that's awesome as well.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Guys I'm about sixty thousand words (hope to end at 110k) into a fantasy novel. I've avoided a bad name like the ones listed above, but what else should I avoid? Mine involves dragons, which makes me feel a little like a hack, but I'd like to avoid other huge offenders.

What do you hate most about fantasy, basically?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TequilaJesus posted:

What do you hate most about fantasy, basically?

Apostrophes or other names that are FANTASY AS HECK.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"dragons are a myth"

*twenty two chapters later*

"this is a flying lizard that shoots fire... excuse me, heat energy from its mouth... its called a fire terror lizard god and it is absolutely NOT a dragon. dragons are a myth"

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fantasy races that have no real reason to be fantasy races other than the author really likes elves, except the elves act exactly like humans and the fact that they're elves doesn't matter. Conversely, fantasy races that are so alien as to be unrelatable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just please don't write the next Eragon

And if you do please don't make John Malkovich star in it.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sorry guys, that list was 45 years in the making and I don't have any more fantasy titles to share.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crabrock posted:

Sorry guys, that list was 45 years in the making and I don't have any more fantasy titles to share.

i got one

A Published Author, by Crab Rock

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

anime was right posted:

i got one

A Published Author, by Crab Rock

i have multiple publications tyvm :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that's another good title

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
does anyone in here write anything other than genre fiction?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

yes

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

good question btw

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah I guess?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

im only asking cuz ive got an idea for a novel i want to write but when i think about the premise of it and how i want to write it, it sounds very much like a kind of book that some other authors ive read would have written. authors with very distinctive styles.

how do you avoid the trap of mimicry or pastiche?

i know this is ultimately a dumb question cuz i haven't actually written anything yet and i won't get a chance to start writing anything for a while due to life and not even owning a computer but wondering if anyone else struggles with anything similar?

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
What does that have to do with non-genre fiction writing?

Also there is nothing new under the sun, good writers borrow great writers steal, etc etc. Just write it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

What does that have to do with non-genre fiction writing?

Also there is nothing new under the sun, good writers borrow great writers steal, etc etc. Just write it.

most of the topics discussed in this thread seem to be about character development or plot progression. my question was about style, which is generally not very important to genre fiction

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

fridge corn posted:

most of the topics discussed in this thread seem to be about character development or plot progression. my question was about style, which is generally not very important to genre fiction

thats very wrong and im not even a genre writer

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

fridge corn posted:

I think you might be wanting nonfiction instead if you don't care about plot or characters, bub.

wow you're dumb

edit: More seriously, why do you think style isn't important to genre fiction?

CantDecideOnAName fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 29, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Style is SUPER important to genre fiction

I'm trying for a particular one in my thing, where I have very horrific things happen very innocuously so the reader doesn't realize it, until it's drawn attention to later

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fridge corn posted:

im only asking cuz ive got an idea for a novel i want to write but when i think about the premise of it and how i want to write it, it sounds very much like a kind of book that some other authors ive read would have written. authors with very distinctive styles.

i know this is ultimately a dumb question cuz i haven't actually written anything yet and i won't get a chance to start writing anything for a while due to life and not even owning a computer but wondering if anyone else struggles with anything similar?

Once you've written it, it will be your own; sounding vaguely like a successful author is not actually a problem. The opposite, mostly.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

fridge corn posted:

It's not something to really worry about until you start writing it. Two different authors can have the same outline and same goals in mind, and end up with two completely different stories, simply because they're different people drawing from different experiences when they write. If you're worried about unconsciously mimicking the prose style of the writers you're drawing inspiration from, that's something to look for in editing, where you'd be able to pull out and revise anything you feel is too close to mimicry.

Right now, this sounds like the sort of excuse your brain will make to keep you from writing, along the lines of 'but I can't write it until it's perfect'. Every author, whether consciously or unconsciously, is using elements of style picked up from other people.

Are you worried that your personal voice as a writer isn't strong enough? That's something I'm often concerned about, because my voice varies a lot between the pieces I write, but again, that's something you can sort out in editing. One of the major things I end up doing when I edit is trying to work everything back into a cohesive style.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The only way to develop a style is to write more.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

fridge corn posted:

It's true that style questions apply to genre books as well, BUT it's also true that we don't talk about style as much as plot and stuff, so I'm going to try to answer that question instead of arguing about genre (just imagine I c/p-ed my last post on that, ok).

First, you say the premise/how you want to write it sounds like how some other authors WOULD have written. That's a good start, b/c if I understand correctly, it's not very much like something they have already written. Second, if it feels like many authors to you, then there is a chance it won't actually sound like mimicry or pastiche, because it will be pulling elements from different places, and most likely, just by default, will have some element of yourself in it. So, baseline, I think you are probably overthinking this and worrying when you don't need to.

Second, you write what you are going to write and then you edit it, and if while doing that you think it sounds too much like mimicry or pastiche you figure out why and change it.

I was actually going to write more about style in general, but I see that you were only asking that specific question, and also that you aren't even planning to try writing it soon, so I'm gonna stop for now and hopefully get back to that subject when I have more time. I think the OPs are pretty sparse on style advice right now, too. Didn't we talk about this a few months ago? Possibly starting from nearly the exact same intro of genre v. not? Early March, I think.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

It's true that style questions apply to genre books as well, BUT it's also true that we don't talk about style as much as plot and stuff, so I'm going to try to answer the question about not sounding like mimicry/pastiche, instead of arguing about genre (just imagine I c/p-ed my last post on that, ok).

First, you say the premise/how you want to write it sounds like how some other authors WOULD have written. That's a good start, b/c if I understand correctly, it's not very much like something they have already written. Second, if it feels like many authors to you, then there is a chance it won't actually sound like mimicry or pastiche, because it will be pulling elements from different places, and most likely, just by default, will have some element of yourself in it. So, baseline, I think you are probably overthinking this and worrying when you don't need to.

Second, you write what you are going to write and then you edit it, and if while doing that you think it sounds too much like mimicry or pastiche you figure out why and change it.

I was actually going to write more about style in general, but I see that you were only asking that specific question, and also that you aren't even planning to try writing it soon, so I'm gonna stop for now and hopefully get back to that subject when I have more time. I think the OPs are pretty sparse on style advice right now, too. Didn't we talk about this a few months ago? Possibly starting from nearly the exact same intro of genre v. not? Early March, I think.

edit: lol somehow i managed to immediately empty-quote myself on accident. GJ me.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 30, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Every time we talk about style someone just recommends The Elements of Style and then the conversation collapses. No one wants to talk about the tiny author foibles, or how different people have different sentence construction habits, or the kind of plot elements different authors gravitate to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
I have no idea how to talk about my personal style and voice. I ape some of what I read but a lot of it is just how it evolved. If I want to influence my story towards a certain style then I'll read things in that style.