Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yakuza 0 is simply incredible so start with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a shame they couldn't reuse the old Mark Hamill dub

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd be alright if a new Yakuza game just had a pandering American character named Marty Hamilton that was modeled after and performed by Mark Hamill.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

FutureFriend posted:

some majima anywhere fights end up with him talking a lot about the stuff he did in 0

Oh, hmm... Okay, yeah, I guess start with 0.

Sakurazuka posted:

I would love it if Majima was the only character in the game speaking english, and that fact was never explained or even addressed. Everyone just goes along like business as usual.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd be alright if a new Yakuza game just had a pandering American character named Marty Hamilton that was modeled after and performed by Mark Hamill.

Hamilton is a surviving member of Black Monday who left the country to try and rebuild the organization before challenging Kiryu, so he would not throw away his...shot.

Content: I would kinda like to see Black Monday come back in some form, maybe as a subplot in the online game. It's not like the franchise's US fan base would really care about the unsubtle ultra-nationalism associated with that particular plot thread, and I really enjoyed the Wesker-wannabe from 3.

SpacePig posted:

I would love it if Majima was the only character in the game speaking english, and that fact was never explained or even addressed. Everyone just goes along like business as usual.

Doesn't Nioh do this, basically treating English like the alien languages from Star Wars?

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 29, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SpacePig posted:

They did this joke wonderfully with Ilsa in Danger 5.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxgeniKPik4

Too good for this world.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kiwami is cool but drat I'll be glad when 6 comes out and looks better than an upscaled PS3 game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fist of the North Star does not use Yakuza 6's Dragon Engine.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

I just want this game so much. If it doesn't get a localization, I think I've found the first thing I'm going to go the distance to import.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought Kenzan years ago thoroughly intending to play it but it turns out I'm really bad at playing games I don't understand.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, how do I trigger Ultimate or Climax or whatever the hell Heat Actions. I'm on chapter 3, fighting the bald guy at the funeral and when he goes into recovery I can't trigger it.

I have purchased the first Heat bar and I'm matching the aura colour, which I assume is the right stance to pick.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, how do I trigger Ultimate or Climax or whatever the hell Heat Actions. I'm on chapter 3, fighting the bald guy at the funeral and when he goes into recovery I can't trigger it.

I have purchased the first Heat bar and I'm matching the aura colour, which I assume is the right stance to pick.

Gotta unlock the actions as well, they're the three ones under that climax bar upgrade.

I'm pretty sure the tutorial for climax heat actions occurs just before you lose all of your abilities so it's confusing.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's really confusing. The tutorial should really mention that they'll need unlocked, since I'm pretty sure it's the only time they can be used before you lose everything.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Game is great but I cant. stop. golfing.

Never woulda thought another game could pull me away on a Yakuza release day.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks, found the abilities. More importantly, Kiryu still falls for every scam under the sun :allears:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So far the substories feel a bit lackluster. They've all just been fight->done with not a great deal of amusing talky stuff, but then I'm super early on so who knows. I get the vague feeling that for $30 this is basically a holdover title until Y6 comes along but, whatever, still fun and I never actually played Y1 directly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's still a remake of a ten year old game. I think if I come away from it feeling lackluster, I'll finish up and do the sidestories I missed in Zero.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Played a few minutes of Kiwami, I can already feel the game is very PS2 and won't be as awesome as 0 from the few heat moves I could perform, but man it's good to be back in Kamurocho. Went straight to the Tachibana estate and couldn't get into my comfy real estate lair, so sad.
I'm sure I'll love the poo poo out of it, but maybe I'd recommand to play this one before 0 since it seems so far (I'm like 10min in) a step back from 0. I'm here for the story and the feels anyway, and I believe it will deliver.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dang I wish there was a handy guide like the Yakuza 0 guide for the sub stories, all the ones online feel a bit more awkward because as far as I can tell they don't list them by chapter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
am i crazy or is Kiwami a lot harder than vanilla Y1

i actually died to the faux-Mr. Shakedown sidestory in chapter 4 :stare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seems like it to me, I've been burning through the healing items at a rate. Bald funeral boss who's name I can't remember took way too many hits to put down on Normal.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you didn't buy the rush move before fighting shimano get hosed i guess

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I dont think you can get enough xp before that point to afford both the climax heat action and the dodge during attacks ability, and it seems like that boss requires both

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually found Shimano to be super easy once I figured out the trick is to either use Rush and clown on him for an hour, or use Beast and clown on him for 5 minutes. He telegraphs all his attacks and has such long recovery that once I figured out his patterns I stopped taking hits period.

e: oh and also figuring out that locking on to powerful enemies helps them more than you, don't use lock-on to fight him at all

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hey. Hey Kiwami. I love you, you're great, etc. But hey, if i skip the cutscene, please actually skip the cutscene. Dont make it nine cutscenes that i have to skip separately. Thats bad.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The MesuKing substory is weirding me out. :gonk:

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:confused: It's just a game about insect fairies fighting evil insects, nothing weird about it. Kids love it!

me too :gonk:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Sakurazuka posted:

I bought Kenzan years ago thoroughly intending to play it but it turns out I'm really bad at playing games I don't understand.

I play along with the LP and it's not a bad way to experience it.

Stelas posted:

So far the substories feel a bit lackluster. They've all just been fight->done with not a great deal of amusing talky stuff, but then I'm super early on so who knows. I get the vague feeling that for $30 this is basically a holdover title until Y6 comes along but, whatever, still fun and I never actually played Y1 directly.

none of the Y1 sidequests were funny or even interesting. Kiwami is absolutely 100% a filler title between 0 and 6

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I jumped into the series with 0 after failing to make it very far in 3.
Waiting for Kiwami to arrive, but should I just play the story missions and not bother with the sidequests then? Or are there any that are highly recommended?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Waiting for Kiwami to arrive, but should I just play the story missions and not bother with the sidequests then? Or are there any that are highly recommended?

Zero has some of the best sidequests in the series, friend. But yeah, only do certain ones in Kiwami that give useful rewards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The sidequests are fine, having a new translation helps a lot.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

VolticSurge posted:

Zero has some of the best sidequests in the series, friend. But yeah, only do certain ones in Kiwami that give useful rewards.
Good to know. Yeah, 0 blew my socks off. What a game. I haven't played Nier Automata or Nioh yet but Yakuza 0 is definitely my GotY so far. I believe I did about 95% of the side quests, but my completion score was low because I basically ignored crafting after getting that shotgun that kills Mr. Shakedown in a few hits.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The badass dad sidequest is good.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

It's good that they added actual gameplay to their tittywrestling sub-game.

It's shame that the progression is locked behind finding more cards before you can fight next opponent.
Let me beat that smug Professor Tittywrestling, I don't need more cards for that. :argh:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Pegnose Pete posted:

I just found it easier to do zoom through the story and Majima everywhere as much as I could. Then complete side quests in premium adventure where you can control day/evening/night. Some quests require Haruka be with you which you can choose in premium adventure

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I just saw Maijima while I was playing in the photo booth. I think I'm gonna get sick of Maijima Everywhere.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the whole thing is like when a TV shows writers realise that one of the side characters is super popular and shove them in everything until you start hating them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm interested in seeing where that Majima side-story in Kiwami 2 goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Policenaut posted:

I'm interested in seeing where that Majima side-story in Kiwami 2 goes.

you stalk kiryu everywhere but then get hilariously sidetracked right before you're about to pick a fight with him