Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not to get into an argument with a meme but I thought the MP 40 was fairly well regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There wasn't anything particularly special about the MP38 and MP40, but they were solid, reliable designs that made a perfectly adequate short-range weapon. They suffer in magazine capacity to the more famous Soviet designs, and aren't quite as accurate as the Thompson (which was closer to the modern definition of a carbine in size and weight), but they served quite well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

bavarians own hth

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

bavarians own hth

Yeah is this supposed to be about how prussians are good? I'm getting the opposite tbh

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Napoleonic Bavarian uniforms are styling.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

Not to get into an argument with a meme but I thought the MP 40 was fairly well regarded.

They were good. The metal stamping technique for the MP40 was really, REALLY great for the time and helped make SMGs cheap enough to be ubiquitous.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cyrano4747 posted:

They were good. The metal stamping technique for the MP40 was really, REALLY great for the time and helped make SMGs cheap enough to be ubiquitous.

Honestly most of the ww2 sub machine guns were pretty nice shooting guns because they were bulky enough to be controllable in full auto and they were still pretty handy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cheap and ubiquitous enough that Soviet documents from the era generally refer to German infantry as submachinegunners. The post-war stereotypical image of a German soldier also invariably includes an MP-40.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Honestly most of the ww2 sub machine guns were pretty nice shooting guns because they were bulky enough to be controllable in full auto and they were still pretty handy.

The Reising wasn't well liked. Under good conditions it was probably better than the Thompson in several categories but it wasn't used in good conditions. In the harsh conditions of the South Pacific it stood out for it's poor tolerance to dirt and wet.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Turns out that sandbags do actually work to resist Panzerfausts, if sandwiched in between metal plates.

Things that definitely do not work: spare track links, cans filled with water, blankets.

Interesting that on some models of T-72 the armor has a void filled with 'sand'. Not sure what the composition of the 'sand' is.

Also, water and fuel do provide some added protection to HEAT and by mass is more efficient that RHA but being less dense you need quite a bit of it for a noticeable improvement. Fuel tanks are often placed such that they provide a little extra protection, famously the drivers compartment of the M1 Abrams has fuel tanks lining the sides because it provides a little more protection as long as they are full (those tanks are the last to drain).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cheap and ubiquitous enough that Soviet documents from the era generally refer to German infantry as submachinegunners. The post-war stereotypical image of a German soldier also invariably includes an MP-40.

IIRC towards the end of the war entire German formations were being armed with SMGs, what time period are these documents from?

HEY GAIL posted:

that face swims queasily into your mind, like sebastian gorka

too soon :911:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What are some of the rarest tanks that have seen action? I know during WWII, there was a single Porsche Tiger (the only one not modified into a Ferdinand) that fought and was destroyed in Poland, and the Soviets used both the KV-3 prototype and the SU-100Y at Leningrad and Moscow, respectively.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Murgos posted:

The Reising wasn't well liked. Under good conditions it was probably better than the Thompson in several categories but it wasn't used in good conditions. In the harsh conditions of the South Pacific it stood out for it's poor tolerance to dirt and wet.

Also weird design decisions like having the reciprocating cocking handle be in a slot in the forend of the gun, right where you'd want to put your hand. Slip a finger in during firing? Now you have a broken finger.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
My father allegedly annoyed a lot of boat drivers in Vietnam by making them take out their log "armor"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ugh its Troika posted:

What are some of the rarest tanks that have seen action? I know during WWII, there was a single Porsche Tiger (the only one not modified into a Ferdinand) that fought and was destroyed in Poland, and the Soviets used both the KV-3 prototype and the SU-100Y at Leningrad and Moscow, respectively.

Not super rare compared to single-prototype stuff and what-have-you, but P26/40s are pretty rare.

The Skink Anti-Aircraft tank should definitely be mentioned.

Also depends on what you classify as a tank, I guess

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Murgos posted:

The Soviets despised the Reising. I think it negatively affected how they saw .45 ACP SMGs as a whole.

MikeCrotch posted:

IIRC towards the end of the war entire German formations were being armed with SMGs, what time period are these documents from?

too soon :911:

I've seen them all over the place in the war.

Murgos posted:

Interesting that on some models of T-72 the armor has a void filled with 'sand'. Not sure what the composition of the 'sand' is.

Also, water and fuel do provide some added protection to HEAT and by mass is more efficient that RHA but being less dense you need quite a bit of it for a noticeable improvement. Fuel tanks are often placed such that they provide a little extra protection, famously the drivers compartment of the M1 Abrams has fuel tanks lining the sides because it provides a little more protection as long as they are full (those tanks are the last to drain).

The Soviets also found that T-34 fuel tanks are great protection against APCR and HEAT. APHE, not so much, if the tank was full of fumes, that actually enhanced the explosion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Murgos posted:

In a lot of ways the Reising was more of a failed, early M2 Carbine than a failed SMG. Reising basically designed his gun as a lighweight carbine that also had a select fire feature. There was a semi-auto only version as well. The biggest advantage it had was that it cost about a quarter what a Thompson did, mostly due to the heavy use of stamped parts. While it was more accurate, it accomplished this through a delayed blowback system that was over complicated and prone to breaking. Simple blowback is dirt loving easy to make work right, but delayed blowback always runs into issues. It's worth noting that the roller delayed blowback developed by the Germans is probably the best implementation of it, but even that has some nasty little issues with parts wear.

IIRC the gun couldn't get through 3,000 rounds in testing without a mechanical failure in the bits of the bolt that did the delaying, which is loving atrocious. The Army turned it down flat and the only reason the USMC adopted it was because they were desperate for guns. It's worth noting that when they went ashore at Guadalcanal with Reisings they were also carrying m1903s and the old water cooled m1917s.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The academic publisher Rowman & Littlefield is having a bigass sale, in case you need some light reading for those cozy autumn evenings. https://rowman.com/Page/17sumsale

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Huh, looks like the Germans used sandbags too. I don't think I've seen any photos of German tanks with sandbags on them, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh, looks like the Germans used sandbags too. I don't think I've seen any photos of German tanks with sandbags on them, though.

I did some light GIS'ing of sandbags and the thinner skinned german vehicles (thinking thats where you'd find the most added armor) and turned up a BUNCH of scale model sets incorporating them. Now, I'm always wary of taking anything modelers say as gospel, but they must be getting the idea somewhere.

I also turned up a single image of a PzKpfw IIIN with a bunch of sandbags on it.

They're not nearly as thick or as organized as what you see on Shermans, but it's also a little much to just be where someone set one down for a moment. For what it's worth the model kits also feature the German ones being a little more haphazard and spotty. Maybe it wasn't about slowing AT cannon fire and more about protecting weak spots that had important things (like men) behind them from AT rifles? A sand bag isn't going to do too much against even a 40mm AT round, but it could possibly slow some 12-ish mm ATR penetrator enough to make a difference.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I think them being on the roof meant that they were protecting from attacks from the air. The document references tanks encountered in Africa, it's a bit hard to hide an anti-tank rifleman in the open desert.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think them being on the roof meant that they were protecting from attacks from the air. The document references tanks encountered in Africa, it's a bit hard to hide an anti-tank rifleman in the open desert.

You mean you haven't seen any open desert anti-tank riflemen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Are those pictures made by people who have never seen a history book, or do they spring into existence spontaneously near insane asylums?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Libluini posted:

Are those pictures made by people who have never seen a history book, or do they spring into existence spontaneously near insane asylums?

Dying in the largest war in history is easy, comedy is difficult.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If they're referencing poo poo they saw in Africa it could just be misunderstanding trying to protect the roof from some rear end in a top hat in an airplane with a .50.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://gfycat.com/EqualEssentialAxisdeer

Are folding card tables a battalion or division level asset

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Libluini posted:

It started out as just the "Virgin Walk", with a bunch of traits labelled to shame slightly awkward nerds. Somebody got annoyed and added "The Chad Stride" to lampoon the nonsensical ideations of the 4chan losers sharing the original.

Then uhhh more memes happened. imo the ones posted are lame and bad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah they're awful and just annoying

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Edit: ^ lol

I thought the war one was funny as an ironic use of dumb internet loser philosophy to talk about the wermacht and red army the same way I think interpreting all media in terms of the characters' imagined competing sexual pathologies is funny. It may have been serious though, which is even funnier.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Go straight to so much hell.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I didn't think that meme could get any dumber than it is by default, but you proved me wrong. Congratulations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hahaha

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This made me laugh far harder than it should've, bravo :golfclap:

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

Gnoman posted:

I didn't think that meme could get any dumber than it is by default, but you proved me wrong. Congratulations.

I'm ashamed to admit that it made me laugh out loud.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I read it as "real titties of war" which I think is almost textbook freud.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

You mean American commanders :colbert: Don't lump those of us in the Commonwealth in with your crazy bullshit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

You mean American commanders :colbert: Don't lump those of us in the Commonwealth in with your crazy bullshit.

I mean we built cruiser tanks which is not really much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean we built cruiser tanks which is not really much better.

The only thing they'll be cruising for
is cruisin
for a bruisin