Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Touché I believe they suffer from Ben Carson Fighter Pilot Syndrome.
And this is why we shouldn't scoff at liberal arts requirements. You may not enjoy having to do them but they expose you to people who are different than yourself, and hopefully make you a more well rounded person.

Also the service academies should be shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mexico has started sending aid and troops across the border to support Houston

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
WALL

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Also the service academies should be shut down.

good god yes along with A&M and other turbo retard ROTC programs

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

let me get all the bullshit of an academy with none of the prestige or good old boy connections lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMCs are dumb and shouldn't exist anymore.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

quote:

Blackwater Founder Erik Prince Implicated in Murder

quote:

By Jeremy Scahill
August 4, 2009

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm more relieved than anything else

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Apropos of nothing, here's Oma (Grandma) toasting Hitler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE-DEt85uVU

This is more than a year old but I just found it so now you get to laugh/suffer with me.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Let's see the aftermath of Trump's meeting with the Finnish prez:

Finland says no fighter deal with Boeing after Trump's comments

quote:

HELSINKI (Reuters) - President Sauli Niinisto on Tuesday denied that Finland was buying new fighter jets from American planemaker Boeing (BA.N), following remarks by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Finland is looking to replace its ageing fleet of 62 F/A-18 Hornet jets with multirole fighter aircraft in a procurement estimated at 7-10 billion euros by 2025.

“One of the things that is happening is you’re purchasing large amounts of our great F-18 aircraft from Boeing and it’s one of the great planes, the great fighter jets,” Trump said on Monday at a news conference with his Finnish counterpart in the White House.

Niinisto, who was standing next to Trump, looked surprised but did not follow up on the comment. He later denied the deal with Boeing on his Twitter account and on Tuesday in Washington.

“It seems that on the sale side, past decisions and hopes about future decisions have mixed ... The purchase is just starting, and that is very clear here,” Niinisto told Finnish reporters.

(We're probably gonna end up buying 60+ F-35 anyway)

'No President in the U.S.' Leads $53 Billion Fund to Sell Stocks

quote:

A leadership vacuum in the world’s biggest economy has driven the largest private-sector pension fund in Finland to cut the weight of U.S. stocks in its 45 billion-euro ($53 billion) portfolio.

“It seems as if there is no president in the U.S.,” Risto Murto, chief executive officer of Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Co., said in an interview in Helsinki on Wednesday. “If I look at what is the moral and practical power, there is no longer a traditional president.”

The unorthodox start to Donald Trump’s presidency -- dominated by Twitter outbursts that have included nuclear saber rattling with North Korea and a defense of white nationalist protesters -- has turned the U.S. into a source of global political risk. The legislative program that many investors had hoped would support economic growth looks to have stalled, and Murto says Trump’s apparent inability to work with Congress is particularly worrying, given the global ramifications of decisions made in Washington.

“The lesson from 2008 is that if we have a problem in the U.S., then we all have a problem,” Murto said. He described Trump’s response to demonstrations in Charlottesville as a “breaking point if you look at how business leaders reacted,” retreating from association with the president.

Once again, the best deals :discourse:.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Man trump is like a monkey wrench in game theory. How do you predict your opponent's moves when they aren't a rational actor?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
hello

https://streamable.com/hgrl7

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So even though the insurers are going to laugh off most of the (non-affluent) victims claims, what are the betting odds that insurers and re-insurance markets don't have enough solvent cash on hand to even cover the surface level recovery from this and the credit crisis isn't in student loans like I was expecting as instead starts in the insurance markets.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

So even though the insurers are going to laugh off most of the (non-affluent) victims claims, what are the betting odds that insurers and re-insurance markets don't have enough solvent cash on hand to even cover the surface level recovery from this and the credit crisis isn't in student loans like I was expecting as instead starts in the insurance markets.

I only have experience with working for Mutual Life Insurance companies, but my former employer had about 13bbn on hand in 2009 and was told by the government that they needed to park their assets in something other than cash. Property and realty insurance probably maintains a similar on hand reserve, with individual risk appetites for each company dictating where the rest is stashed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

The reinsurer for flood claims is the federal government. Take from that what you will.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

M_Gargantua posted:

The National Flood Insurance Program will probably go bust, but State Farm and the like should make out OK.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

They get bailed out

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

They get bailed out

:perfect:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

let me get all the bullshit of an academy with none of the prestige or good old boy connections lol

poo poo like a&m, vmi, etc still get the good ol boy connections, big time. There are people who will do these schools and programs without even going into the military afterwards because ~family legacy~ and said connections. They just have kind of a smaller footprint but it's kind of more intense, maybe because of that smaller size and lack of not being an actual academy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Mattis to Trump: go gently caress your Transgender Ban, I'm putting together a study and implementation plan/panel like we normally do. Until then, continue to gently caress yourself and nothing is changing.

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/902674630892290048

Sounds like Mattis wants to run out the clock or let the court system do the job, or at worst, try to convince Trump otherwise.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's true every Citadel grad I've ever met has been the biggest rear end in a top hat I've ever met but they float straight to the levers of power

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Mattis to Trump: go gently caress your Transgender Ban, I'm putting together a study and implementation plan/panel like we normally do. Until then, continue to gently caress yourself and nothing is changing.

Sounds like Mattis wants to run out the clock or let the court system do the job, or at worst, try to convince Trump otherwise.

I hope the panel's conclusion is to convene another panel. :allears:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Being a former member of A&M corps, they really pound that good ole boy connection poo poo hard even when you're new.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

Sounds like mattis should have a beer with this guy

https://youtu.be/QaqpoeVgr8U

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

I worked for Accenture and MBAs are loving idiots. If my project lead or client liaison was an MBA poo poo was always waaaaay harder than it needed to be

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the velocity on our counter-insurgency user stories?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Waroduce posted:

I worked for Accenture and MBAs are loving idiots. If my project lead or client liaison was an MBA poo poo was always waaaaay harder than it needed to be

Truth.

I ended up being the subject matter expert on a lot of poo poo at my old job; for some reason the MBAs didn't like my "negative attitude" when it came to their projects being physically impossible or downright illegal (think "we'd need to dredge for ten years or so" or "that would be a flagrant violation of the Jones Act.", not nitpicky poo poo).

I no longer work there, the MBA's all got promoted and the business unit is failing in a spectacular fashion.

From the few classes I've taken, the MBA curriculum is so focused on success stories, they never get to the "accept the things you can't change" and "some poo poo is downright impossible" parts. I shudder to think of the result when one applies that kind of thinking in a military context.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FrozenVent posted:

Truth.

I ended up being the subject matter expert on a lot of poo poo at my old job; for some reason the MBAs didn't like my "negative attitude" when it came to their projects being physically impossible or downright illegal (think "we'd need to dredge for ten years or so" or "that would be a flagrant violation of the Jones Act.", not nitpicky poo poo).

I no longer work there, the MBA's all got promoted and the business unit is failing in a spectacular fashion.

From the few classes I've taken, the MBA curriculum is so focused on success stories, they never get to the "accept the things you can't change" and "some poo poo is downright impossible" parts. I shudder to think of the result when one applies that kind of thinking in a military context.

And here I was thinking about getting a MBA after I graduate with a BS.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
MBAs seem to want to build castles on air generally speaking and the can-do, go get it attitude is Def usually a positive from a leadership perspective espc if you are bringing a wide ranging diverse team together imo but it really can become overbearing particularly when people enjoy huffing their own farts and live in a different reality.

But you were all military so I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Two Finger posted:

Sounds like mattis should have a beer with this guy

https://youtu.be/QaqpoeVgr8U

Or this fellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIto5mwDLxo

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

I hope the panel's conclusion is to convene another panel. :allears:

Panels all the way down

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I ended up working in marketing so it's an almost daily struggle to remember not to start talking smack about business majors. My boss has his own little annoying quirks but at least he didn't go to business school.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Anyone who doesn't get that business degrees (with the exception of accounting, which should be its own thing) and ESPECIALLY MBA's are about how you play the game probably haven't been to business school

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chilichimp posted:

Panels all the way down

Before they appoint the panel they'll need to make a study of the right people to appoint to the committee which will draw up the terms of reference for the board that will choose the members of the panel.

All of this will be preceded by a rigorous and thorough preliminary inquiry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Devos' brother, head of Blackwater, was implicated that he killed employees in order to prevent a Government investigation, as well as ran a campaign to kill as many Muslims as possible as part of a Evangelical Christian Crusade.

https://www.thenation.com/article/blackwater-founder-implicated-murder/

Did you mean to post an 8 year old article?

That's kind of already a thing, especially in the AF. You (usually) need a master's to make O-4, and MBAs are a dime a dozen and available at every base ed center or online. Loooots of MBAs in the AF officer corps. Explains a lot.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

bird food bathtub posted:

It's not a bad supposition, not that long ago that the FBI was looking into white supremacist organizations infiltrating law enforcement in an organized manner. More organized than "racist assholes want a chance to shoot them" anyway

Starting in the 1970s white supremacists had a very successful run at infiltrating / recruiting from various special operations groups.

Not surprising they'd try it with law enforcement.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were masterpieces.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Smiling Jack posted:

Starting in the 1970s white supremacists had a very successful run at infiltrating / recruiting from various special operations groups.

Not surprising they'd try it with law enforcement.

Checks out. The "patriot" movement in Australia was littered with Army and operator types; likewise the private security firms running the offshore torture camps that the department of customs and immigration set up (the ones who either straight out raped or facilitated the rape of hundreds of refugee women they were supposed to be protecting) were full of ex-ADF hardcases.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I don't mean stupid poo poo like a seal team flying trump flags, I mean no-poo poo green berets looting wepons caches, conducting armed robberies and actively recruiting.

poo poo, a neo nazi convinced the marine scout snipers to adopt the SS logo in the 1980s and they kept it for thirty loving years before anyone said anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
People I know keep posting poo poo about how antifa is horrible and proves the left is just as bad. I'm sorry but most times antifa is fighting back against literal Nazis so they'll never be as bad.

I also notice all of the older people i see posting about right wing stuff are baby boomer types trying to maintain a desperate grasp of their reality in which they're the great white redeemer or whatever. When brown people get too much freedom it's obviously bad for everyone.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 30, 2017

• Locked thread