Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

I think something like this is correct. Even the 3.0 quote from Roberts at the 2016 gamescon was, "..so, it’s our big end of the year release. er so er yeah, so we’re gonna get it out the end of the year; hopefully not on December 19th but, er, like last year….but it is a big one, so, not making er, I got shot for making promises, but er, that’s our goal.”

It's pretty clear Chris was peddling the idea that 3.0 would be released much earlier than 19th December 2016 and this was really a worst case scenario to him at that time. With hindsight, his confidence seems... misplaced.

No. He was lying. Several sources (including TheAgent's I think) confirmed that not only did 3.0 not exist at the time he was pitching it, but there was no way in hell he thought it could have been released by then, even if it was original 2.7 that was to be re-branded to 3.0

His lies netted them about $5M. And a lot of grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

Right. More importantly, by leap frogging planetary tech, they got to sell ground vehicles like the Nox and the Ursa rover. And of course whatever mining ship they were selling. It was all carefully planned. This was more about making money, than it was about making a game sensibly.

Right, so they spent a year working on tech in order to achieve:

1. Sales of land vehicles
2. To stay contemporary with planetary landings

And in doing so sacrificed:

1. The opportunity of an MVP
2. Gamescon
3. Squadron 42

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The avatar wars still rage! :eyepop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

lol at the 600i barely going to bring in 2 million bucks

this was a ship backers have been hyping for a year+ and it's gone over the same as the tumbril

CIG is truly hosed at this point. good job ben

It's barely broken $1M in funding, and we don't know if the 600i is even the bulk of it. Where are you getting $2M from?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spatial posted:

What a time to be alive.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

What a time to be alive.

I'm still pissing myself with laughter at

"Why is she wearing dazzle camo?"

:)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

We've been busted. Quick! To the bat cave!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What have I missed over the last 800 posts?

My latest opus (updated) that's been heralded as my best yet, since the famous July Blog

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/5685/

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Let the voyage begin with the 2947 600i from Origin Jumpworks. This multi-role luxury vessel from Origin Jumpworks features an exquisitely detailed hull design that . The 600i is designed with a cutting edge modular technology, allowing you to customize your ship for your needs. Taking the family on a long-distance trip across the stars? The Touring module lets your guests relax in ease with stunning furniture from some of the Empire's top designers. Looking to stamp your name in history with the discovery of a new star system? The 600i's Explorer module swaps the lounge for a robust scanning station as well as additional utility hardpoints to increase the ship's effectiveness even more. Regardless of where your journey takes you, the 600i guarantees that you'll get there fast and in style.

Doesn't punch above its weight, but you do get incredible furniture

Also yes, that sentence just ends

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

What's the hot take from your inside source moma? The one that tipped you off about the summer 3.0 release.

Well, apparently the surprise was the face-tracking tech. I wasn't too impressed.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well, apparently the surprise was the face-tracking tech. I wasn't too impressed.

Really? Face over IP really was your sources "big surprise". Ha ha ha ha.

And you know, it's actually accurate because I'm sure we were all surprised.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'll say this. It's a neat loophole that they did so that they can make people believe it's VR

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This is one of my favorite things SC_White_Knight has ever posted about me :allears:

Not just because I've explained that I originally came from reddit like a billion loving times but also because it makes me picture some goon breaking the glass over the "Thaw" button and unboxing me like some kind of an extremely stupid Master Chief.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

But now (not now, sometime in the future) you'll be able to see all the commando's gurning, contorted mugs as they struggle to achieve climax as they imagine their little sisters playing SC in their kecks.

:barf:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

I'm pretty sure his BREAKING NEWS tweets are generated using a few D20 rolls and a lookup table.

Yeah, don't dox me, bro :negative:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Get most of your money out, even if you don't want to tell us, people are going to laugh no matter what but at least then you can relax and join in. How anyone can believe there will ever be a game after the presentation amazes me.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Right, so they spent a year working on tech in order to achieve:

1. Sales of land vehicles
2. To stay contemporary with planetary landings

And in doing so sacrificed:

1. The opportunity of an MVP
2. Gamescon
3. Squadron 42

Yes. But Spergs get to ride their over-priced chariots on terrain now. As long as they don't try to go up ramps or anything like that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

No it wasn't. It was the Idris.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Spatial posted:

SA Avatar War stats

Changed (me) x 19 @ $5

Changed (them) x6 (Variable 5, Lazrin, big nipples big life x2, Jobbo Fett, Krycek) @ $9.95

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Get most of your money out, even if you don't want to tell us, people are going to laugh no matter what but at least then you can relax and join in. How anyone can believe there will ever be a game after the presentation amazes me.

loving :laffo: if you think he has money in this poo poo-show.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile, over there

quote:

After the Gamescom reality bite, out of the 30 or so friends who had backed at similar levels to myself ($300 or so)...I'm the only one left. 22 of them asked for refunds within hours of Gamescom with no intention of buying back in with even a starter package.

As for me...I keep hovering over the figurative refund button then not doing it, no real idea why. Sure, I can afford to write the sum off without much thought...but should I be encouraging CR's directorial cinematic fantasies on the whim of ever landing my Cutlass Black on a planet/moon and actually completing a simple trade mission?

I can't keep extending my deadline to cut off my support much more without feeling like so many of the hopelessly and tragically emotionally invested drones... I'm not one of those...but wishful thinking is fast becoming a guilty passion

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ManofManyAliases posted:

What's wrong with face-tracking tech? Wasn't being able to walk around inside a ship the big defining thing for you? Wouldn't you want to get out of your captain's chair, wander around and look at your all-player crew and vaguely make out the movement of them chewing their food as you fly to thehahahahaha

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Lol, your source is taking you for a ride.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
UNSEAL THE BUGGED WANKPOD

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

I hope by citizencon they can add hand-tracking. How the gently caress am I supposed to communicate properly without flailing my hands around?!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

Yes. But Spergs get to ride their over-priced chariots on terrain now. As long as they don't try to go up ramps or anything like that.

Well it isn't really 'on' the terrain, doesn't look like they figured that part out yet. Even the ships don't sit on the terrain.

The buggy floats above it at a fixed height and the wheels are popped up and down, it's absolute poo poo. loving Halo had proper vehicle physics.

It doesn't look like there is a physics engine anywhere at all, it looks like they modify the control input going to a free floating camera.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

There are some things all of us missed in the demo.

Two Gamescom demo observations:

1: When they grabbed the box from the wreck, and made their way back to the rover, they very explicitly never showed the box being taken onto the rover. We've seen this problem before with them not being able to put the cargo boxes onto vehicles. So, when the rover got ramp killed, we all thought the demo got jammed because the box got blown with the vehicle. I'd say the game never gave a poo poo about that box, the box was never on the vehicle, and no box was destroyed. I propose that the thing that got blown was the character driving the Ursa was required for the follow on space fight. "noooooooOOOoooooo"

2: Both playthroughs, when they lifted the Ursa into the ship, they explicitly acted out having the passenger stand outside and help to carefully align the Ursa on the elevator platform. Then, the passenger took a separate elevator into the ship. The obvious janky reason, is, somebody had to guide the rover perfectly into place on the barely big enough elevator platform, because the driver couldn't position it himself, and the game couldn't handle a misaligned vehicle on the elevator.

This was a total misdirection.

When they unloaded the Ursa onto the destination, one player got in, and rode it down the elevator. The other player took the separate elevator down to the surface, then got in the rover after it was unloaded. Why didn't they both get into the Ursa before it was lowered? Nothing needed an outside eye for lining up, just drive off after being lowered.

Almost everybody missed this, their demo couldn't raise or lower the Ursa on a ship elevator with a passenger in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo&t=2770s

Ursa loads/unloads:
46:10
1:15:35
1:25:30 (ignore the sync issue with the floating Ursa in the cargo bay :smug:)

:eyepop:

Bonus: 1:40:50
The passenger gets out of the Ursa, for no apparent reason, whatsoever, before the attempt to drive onto the ship where the ramp kill happens. It's almost like vehicle onto vehicle interactions don't work with passengers.

Super Bonus: 1:41:45
crobbler: "First working capital ship"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
moma, come out and play (the destiny 2 beta)

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

D_Smart posted:

It's barely broken $1M in funding, and we don't know if the 600i is even the bulk of it. Where are you getting $2M from?

GC2017 is sitting slightly above GC2015 as it stands, and if we assume a typical decay curve for a front-loaded whale-heavy sale and project out to 240 hours, they will come in a bit under $2M.

GC2016 did not follow the typical decay curve; all indications are that this is because it brought in new backers.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

XK posted:

...The passenger gets out of the Ursa, for no apparent reason, whatsoever, before the attempt to drive onto the ship where the ramp kill happens. It's almost like vehicle onto vehicle interactions don't work with passengers.

the demo-killing crash also happened when the players were sitting in passenger seats and they had to stand on deck like it was a crowded spacebus, the bugs vastly outnumber working elements in the netcode

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's a new VR space game on Steam, seems neat: http://store.steampowered.com/app/610680/Starway_Fleet/

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

boviscopophobic posted:

GC2017 is sitting slightly above GC2015 as it stands, and if we assume a typical decay curve for a front-loaded whale-heavy sale and project out to 240 hours, they will come in a bit under $2M.

GC2016 did not follow the typical decay curve; all indications are that this is because it brought in new backers.

In a few community forums, those new backers are asking for refunds

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

XK posted:

Almost everybody missed this, their demo couldn't raise or lower the Ursa on a ship elevator with a passenger in it.

Interesting observation. The obvious question then is why it's OK for the driver to be on board even though the passenger can't be.

(Hint: the driver becomes the vehicle!)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Well it isn't really 'on' the terrain, doesn't look like they figured that part out yet. Even the ships don't sit on the terrain.

The buggy floats above it at a fixed height and the wheels are popped up and down, it's absolute poo poo. loving Halo had proper vehicle physics.

It doesn't look like there is a physics engine anywhere at all, it looks like they modify the control input going to a free floating camera.

From what I've seen, they do have a vehicle controller, but it's the bog-standard one from CryEngine. Except that they completely botched it.

Meanwhile, over at LumberYard, there's still no vehicle controller aside from the CryEngine one. And apparently it's not abstracted out either.

quote:

No updates in the past 8+ months?

We need some modern Lumberyard vehicle tutorials, and sample assets for Lumberyard. Looking for some destructible photo-realistic modern vehicle samples/assets, with vehicle physics. Skinnable vehicles, and also possibly tutorials on how to import assets from GTA5 (user mods created for GTA V) into Lumberyard.

Can't even find any vehicles or anything for Lumberyard. (Nothing that even works). There are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of vehicle mods for GTA V, everything from cars, trucks, planes and even trains, (with photo-realistic interiors/exteriors, realistic sounds, and realistic vehicle physics) available from an extremely large GTA V modding community. I've found hundreds of sites for GTA V modding with vehicles/assets, but there is NOTHING for Lumberyard.

There are so many photo-realistic vehicles (with sounds, skins, physics, etc.) from the GTA V (modding community) and it would be nice to use some of these vehicles in Lumberyard.

Can you please create a step-by-step tutorial/pipeline for creating vehicles (such as importing a GTA V vehicle mod, and converting it for use with Lumberyard?). Can you please create vehicle "converter" tools to convert GTA V vehicles, so they can be imported into Lumberyard?

Tutorials are certainly needed, and step-by-step conversion tools would be extremely helpful.

But Lumberyard completely deprecated the vehicle handling in CryEngine :laffo:

quote:

Sadly, the vehicles will not transfer over without you having to set them up as "characters". We deprecated the Vehicle Editor system, and at the moment, anything that plans to have more than one animation would be better set up as a character, meaning you would need to set up a skeleton (.CHR) and skinned mesh (.SKIN) to then turn into a .CDF.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 30, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

Ramps and irregular terrain are tough state-of-the-art poo poo to get right. Even Nintendo had to wait until Super Mario Bros 3.0 before having proper ramps, and not just block staircases.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

I think the biggest surprise of all is that there isn't actually a 3.0 build. What they have is 2.6.3, and a bunch of technical experiments that have neither been tested with the main branch, nor tested alongside each other. The hypothesis is that once all these completely separately developed and tested pieces have reached a certain level of "polish" (or CIG reaches a certain level of desperation) then they'll all get merged with the main branch and bingo, 3.0.

I have it on good authority that's exactly how game development works.

This approach was largely responsible for Illfonic's stillborn Star Marine. CIG hasn't learned. It will probably take months to integrate, like it did last time. And that's no guarantee it will work without massive re-writes across the board.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

doingitwrong posted:

I remember Huckleberry Finn as Mark Twain taking the piss out of capitalist hucksterism as one of its targets. Or am I thinking of Tom Sawyer? That's the one with the fence painting, right?

No, you're right about Huckleberry Finn. The whole sequence with the Duke and the Dolphin scamming rubes is really pointed.

Of course that goes back way farther in US literature. Melville's The Confidence-Man (1857) is pretty well known, but Modern Chivalry (1792) by Hugh Henry Brackenridge is an enormous semi-readable novel, a best seller in its day, about a scam artist traveling around ripping people off. It is also insanely racist against Irish and Welsh people, which is kind of a feat. Anyway, in the funniest part, the con man Captain Farrago turns up in Georgia intending to run some kind of con, but before he can get started, the stupid locals decide that Farrago's Irish servant is the professor of Latin they've sent for for the local college they're trying to get started, and that him swearing in Irish is really him delivering orations in perfect Latin. This pisses Farrago off, because he hates Irish people and now his con opportunity is spoiled.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

boviscopophobic posted:

Interesting observation. The obvious question then is why it's OK for the driver to be on board even though the passenger can't be.

(Hint: the driver becomes the vehicle!)

Right. And it could be because they don't yet have "multi-crew" support for vehicles. Though that doesn't explain the driver in the rover, while another passenger was in the cabin firing a rail gun. Unless that's just not handled like a passenger, but rather another object inside another, similar to how fighters got into the Idris, players walked into the Idris ramp etc.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

D_Smart posted:

SA Avatar War stats

Changed (me) x 19 @ $5

Changed (them) x6 (Variable 5, Lazrin, big nipples big life x2, Jobbo Fett, Krycek) @ $9.95

i'd go for another new one if you have an extra 10 bucks burning a hole in your pocket. but don't rob from the cookie jar or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Good Dumplings posted:

the demo-killing crash also happened when the players were sitting in passenger seats and they had to stand on deck like it was a crowded spacebus, the bugs vastly outnumber working elements in the netcode

You are totally right. The first attempt to jump, when they crashed, all 3 of them took seats. The second playthrough, only the pilot sat, the other 2 stood awkwardly around on the bridge the entire time. The pilot guy even told them not to touch anything before they took off.