Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

Heck yeah.

Is he just blowing a saxophone into her vagina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That's how you hit the Kenny G Spot.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I Before E posted:

That's how you hit the Kenny G Spot.

Holy poo poo.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Unmature posted:

Holy poo poo.

I believe that's called the alley-oop snipe

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw that Mill Creek is putting out a cheapo Night of the Living Dead blu. Is there a better edition coming out that they're trying to capitalize on, or is that actually the one to own?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

business hammocks posted:

I saw that Mill Creek is putting out a cheapo Night of the Living Dead blu. Is there a better edition coming out that they're trying to capitalize on, or is that actually the one to own?

There is a rumor that Criterion will be releasing it at some point, but it hasn't been announced yet. There is a newly restored version out there being screened by Janus, so presumably a Criterion release would use that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Not exactly Blu-Ray but there's news that Apple is fighting Hollywood on the price of 4K digital purchases. They want to cap it at $19.99 a movie. Hollywood wants them at $24.99-34.99

I'm guessing that will be the difference between UltraHD or digital taking off. If Hollywood gets its way, digital is basically dead in the water. Even $20 a movie is going to be a tough sell with most UltraHD+Blu+Digital bundles being around $15-28 each.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You can buy most 4k disc's at 20 or less and they all have codes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

Agreed but most people buying digital 4k would be buying it because a) they don't have a UltraHD player b) they want it in the walled garden of their choice.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 29, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Daveski posted:

There is a rumor that Criterion will be releasing it at some point, but it hasn't been announced yet. There is a newly restored version out there being screened by Janus, so presumably a Criterion release would use that.

This is basically what happened with Multiple Maniacs. They had the theatrical release first with no mention of a blu-ray release. (There was a blu-ray release.) I'd hold out for the inevitable Criterion Collection blu-ray.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Ineffiable posted:

They all have codes yeah, but the majority of them are only for HD copies. Fox doesn’t even bother to give ANY of their movies UHD codes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

This is basically what happened with Multiple Maniacs. They had the theatrical release first with no mention of a blu-ray release. (There was a blu-ray release.) I'd hold out for the inevitable Criterion Collection blu-ray.

The Mill Creek is likely the same old 16mm-based transfer used for the Legend Films colorization. Nothing is going to match the 4K Film Foundation restoration, which used the camera negative.

You can usually guarantee anything distributed by Janus theatrically will end up at Criterion eventually. I suspect that they didn't release it in time for Halloween this year because of Romero's death. Unlike certain other labels, Criterion will gladly hold back a release rather than rush something out to capitalize on death. They ended up holding back McCabe & Mrs. Miller to give more time for the restoration despite Vilmos Zsigmond's death.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Hollywood doesn't want you to buy them anyway. They just want rentals. They hate this expectation we have of owning a copy of a movie and I don't see Apple prevailing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Physical media will never die.

Nice, cashin' in on that It heat. Tom Kenny is legit menacing as gently caress in this movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I made the mistake of looking at the blu-ray.com forums for thoughts about the new Kino Lorber release of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Unfortunately it seems there isn't really a perfect release of this poor movie that doesn't have some world-shattering problem (those people are a tad melodramatic). The Italian release has weird halo artifacts, the 2014 MGM version is way too yellow, and the KL has terrible black levels or something. Now I'm wondering if I should just keep my (shameful, woefully inadequate) 2009 version instead of double-dipping for 16 less minutes and a new and exciting set of issues. I don't really remember noticing anything terribly wrong with it the last time I watched it (other than the existence of the grotto scene) and nobody seems to even bother with screenshot comparisons using that release so I'm not even sure what's supposed to be wrong with it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
poo poo, what's wrong w the new release? Not enough slipcover variants?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Origami Dali posted:

The complaints I remember were poor dynamic range, very light blacks, not yellow enough, and maybe some other random rumblings. I'm kinda fishing for some more measured opinions from this thread.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, the posters on the blu-ray.com forums are the worst and they nitpick the dumbest poo poo. I've seen some that outright said they won't buy a movie's sole blu-ray release because they didn't like the cover art.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have passed due to bad cover art, but it's usually just a quick re-release. Nothing actually special.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, the posters on the blu-ray.com forums are the worst and they nitpick the dumbest poo poo. I've seen some that outright said they won't buy a movie's sole blu-ray release because they didn't like the cover art.

To be fair, some releases take a perfectly fine poster design and make some new photoshop abomination. These Spider-Man ones are atrocious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I bought the trilogy set because I hate those covers so much.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Liar Lyre posted:

To be fair, some releases take a perfectly fine poster design and make some new photoshop abomination. These Spider-Man ones are atrocious.

Spider-Man 2 2.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CelticPredator posted:

I have passed due to bad cover art, but it's usually just a quick re-release. Nothing actually special.

I mean, most of the time don't they just sit spine out so cover art is really not a huge issue? I skip out on barebones releases most of the time because I'm a whore for special features, and I have a weird aversion to those double or triple packs that aren't just concurrent series entries because I like my alphabetic order, dammit.

e: I also hate steelbooks but I'm in an internet minority, apparently. The few times I've read the blu-ray.com forums it seems like there's a massive hardon for those things.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I prefer good cover art, but at the end of the day I'm buying the movie not a box. And yes those Spider-Man covers are loving terrible but let's not pretend the original posters were master pieces.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first movie poster is kind of neat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The first movie poster is kind of neat.

I think it's just sorta bland.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

This cannot be real.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I Before E posted:

This cannot be real.

You say that in a world where the Black Panther teaser poster exists

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I Before E posted:

This cannot be real.

Thumbnails have ruined the art of the poster design. Go through any of your streaming queues and look at all the movies using generic head shots for their artwork, it's crazy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please don't say thumbnails, I just had a flashback to last night of making sure all my Criterion entries in Plex had the specific Criterion artwork for them. I have a problem.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I, Butthole posted:

I mean, most of the time don't they just sit spine out so cover art is really not a huge issue? I skip out on barebones releases most of the time because I'm a whore for special features, and I have a weird aversion to those double or triple packs that aren't just concurrent series entries because I like my alphabetic order, dammit.

e: I also hate steelbooks but I'm in an internet minority, apparently. The few times I've read the blu-ray.com forums it seems like there's a massive hardon for those things.

Steelbooks are sweet and I actively collect them when possible. If it comes down to buying a steelbook with no special features vs a fully loaded release in a regular case, I tend to err towards the fully loaded release, though. Sometimes if I really like the movie, though, I'll double-dip and make my own "special edition", combining the case from one release with the disc(s) from another.

I do have a bit of a dilemma where I have duplicates of a movie on my shelf because I got a cool steelbook, and then a multi-disc special edition comes out later and the steelbook case only holds one disc. This happened with Carpenter's 'The Thing', and the 20th and 30th anniversary releases of 'Transformers: The Movie'.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I have the Zaavi release of Super Mario Bros. in a steelbook. I love it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I have passed due to bad cover art

This makes no sense.

Edit: I totally get having things as display pieces, but if the movie is good and sound / picture are good, who gives a flying gently caress if the label on the case is pretty?

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 31, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

I have the Zaavi release of Super Mario Bros. in a steelbook. I love it.

The Blu Ray Deals thread recently had the 20th Anniversary steelbook of Space Jam for like $4, I didn't even hesitate in buying that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The Blu Ray Deals thread recently had the 20th Anniversary steelbook of Space Jam for like $4, I didn't even hesitate in buying that.

Haha drat, bummer I missed that I totally would have scooped up that clunker.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Buy the ugly bluray and then download and print one of the dozens of fan made alternate covers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Please don't say thumbnails, I just had a flashback to last night of making sure all my Criterion entries in Plex had the specific Criterion artwork for them. I have a problem.

I spend a lot of time tweaking Sort Names

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As crazy as it sounds the current system I'm using with my blu ray collection is packaging based. I didn't mean for it to happen like that but it just did. First I put all my Criterions on one shelf, then another shelf movie series with nicer box sets, then one shelf for all of those cheap standard plastic cases. But then I bought a few steelbooks and it looked wrong to have them all mixed in with the plastic cases so...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EL BROMANCE posted:

What is Plex? Is it a collection tracker?

I use blu-ray.com's collection tracker (and I have their app on my phone). I was actually thinking about asking what everyone uses for collection tracking, this seems like a good enough segue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All my poo poo is alphabetized, Blus and DVDs mixed together. Anything with more than one movie on a disc goes by the first one on the spine, only the boxed sets that can't fit in the shelf are typically out of order and off shelf. Currently my case is full though, so overflow tends to go in a big pile until I get moved.

• Locked thread