Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bird food bathtub posted:

If you're talking bad on Terry we're gonna have to go out back and have a conversation. :toughguy:

I'm not sure which part of owning every Terry Pratchett novel is me smacktalking him? For added neeeeeerd cred I went to his honorary doctorate ceremony in Trinity College Dublin. Yes, he had a sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Annointed posted:

Looks like someone wants to get fired.

You guys need to read the actual text of the ban Trump ended up signing. It's very different from what he said on Twitter. Mattis is actually following that, he's not some insubordinate superhero here.

Not that it's a good thing, but as always with Trump, he's very inconsistent.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grapplejack posted:

What sort of hosed up bizarro history book did you get this information from?

One that's not written by an obvious propagandist?

Nazis died on the Eastern Front.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shbobdb posted:

I thought this was a wwi derail?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm gonna laugh super hard if you guys were arguing about different wars and didn't realize it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mustached Demon posted:

I thought this was a wwi derail?

World War 2 was World War 1: Round 2 in many many ways.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So once again the military is openly defying the executive, and once again all thinking people agree that actually no really this is the least worst option. I want to get off Mr. Trump's wild ride.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Spun Dog posted:

Nobody like to think they are a bad person, even if they are.

Well, even if Spicer thinks he's a good person, why does he think the Pope is a good person?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I thought it was a derail about David Foster Wallace. In a historical irony, Shbobdb tries fighting a derail war on two fronts simultaneously

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

evilweasel posted:

i think they should have occupied significant portions of the country and that the fighting should have ended with a surrender rather than an armistice. i do not see any way in which asking me for a specific percentage is any sort of useful argument instead of a stupid attempt to bog me down in nonsense instead of arguing why it's a bad argument.

I think I should be married to Charlotte McKinney. Guess what: I'm not.

Thinking something doesn't make it true or even valid.

quote:

i am not characterizing the backstab myth as the sole cause of WWII, but a significant contributor to it.

And I'm saying you are giving it was to much credit as causal in any way. It's ex post facto as opposed to causal.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
is it fair to characterize this as a very soft, almost supple coup?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As a side note can I say, I loved the FLOTUS hat? Even in this hosed up mess of an administration the FLOTUS hat got a legitimate smile out of me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shbobdb posted:

Additionally, the Russians were really kicking German rear end. The Capitalist powers weren't going to sit by and let the Russians say they won the war so they had to do something.

the gently caress are you talking about do you know literally anything about WWII

Stalin was demanding a second front nonstop he wasn't like I've got this guys no need to do anything and it was a constant sore spot for the Russians the us/uk wasn't doing enough

it wasn't some stupid slapfight over credit for victory for the capitalists are you five years old reading history off the backs of sugar packets

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shbobdb posted:

everyone knows that idiot that wasn't the amazingly stupid part of your post

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/902687582961762305

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

I guess we're about due for WW3 since we can't seem to remember what the last two were about. Somebody better write it all down this time.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao rip mattis

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

evilweasel posted:

everyone knows that idiot that wasn't the amazingly stupid part of your post

That's the part he quoted :shrug:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mandator posted:

I guess we're about due for WW3 since we can't seem to remember what the last two were about. Somebody better write it all down this time.

If only we had statues to remember it :thunk:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

evilweasel posted:

the gently caress are you talking about do you know literally anything about WWII

Stalin was demanding a second front nonstop he wasn't like I've got this guys no need to do anything and it was a constant sore spot for the Russians the us/uk wasn't doing enough

it wasn't some stupid slapfight over credit for victory for the capitalists are you five years old reading history off the backs of sugar packets

You keep jumping from point to point, throwing things at the wall to see what sticks while resorting to personal attacks.

That might be semi-decent rhetoric but it's bad form and doesn't really advance what you are arguing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Assange hasn't been charged with anything in the US.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

empty whippet box posted:

lmfao rip mattis

Mattis will be fine. Trump's too much of a gutless shitweasel to even fire his flunkies face-to-face. How's he gonna make Mattis go away?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mattis will be fine. Trump's too much of a gutless shitweasel to even fire his flunkies face-to-face. How's he gonna make Mattis go away?

The tweets, they are a-comin', though. I was wondering what Trump's next incredibly pointless, self inflicted wound would be, here it comes!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

And of course it's Rohrabacher.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Assange hasn't been charged with anything in the US.

Neither was Nixon

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Mattis is tired of this bullshit. If Trump is going to be a moron, then Mattis is going to make him work for it. Mattis will work hard, but he loves the troops more than anything else.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/348467-gop-rep-rendezvous-being-set-up-with-trump-to-relay-info-from?amp

Haha Rohrabacher wants a meeting with Trump to pass on secret information from WikiLeaks. He knows Russia didn't hack DNC because Assange told him so emphatically.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I assume Rohrabacher has got to the point where it's so obvious he's a Russian puppet that there's no point trying to lay low so he's just going all out.

Oh and he's faced no consequences even though Paul Ryan's number 2 knows it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ague Proof posted:

I assume Rohrabacher has got to the point where it's so obvious he's a Russian puppet that there's no point trying to lay low so he's just going all out.

The thing with being compromised is the country compromising you doesn't care if your cover gets blown. They'll keep squeezing until you kill yourself or get caught. It's always temporary.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EngineerJoe posted:

The thing with being compromised is the country compromising you doesn't care if your cover gets blown. They'll keep squeezing until you kill yourself or get caught. It's always temporary.

i mean, they do cause they want to keep their asset, but it's now public that his party knows he's on putin's payroll so why not go for it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

well at least this will have a happy ending

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So like if Trump is dumb enough (he is) to fire Mattis via a tweet or from just having a press conference or whatever, and Mattis is just like lol no, what happens?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/891090665563672576

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought that during WW2 the Allies were actually more like " Let's try and support Russia, but not to much cause we're probably gonna have to continue fighting a war against them after this poo poo is over" so while Stalin was all pissy about not enough support from UK / USA the USA / UK were drawing up plans on how to gently caress up Russia after Germany surrendered

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
There's a 99% chance that, if Rohrabacher gets to meet with Trump, he will tell the president that Seth Rich was the source of the DNC leaks and that Seth was killed for it. And that will be the amazing revelation he supposedly has.

Count on it.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, even if Spicer thinks he's a good person, why does he think the Pope is a good person?

Papal infallibility?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

A bunch of people in Trumps evangelical counsel met with others and created this

The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (CBMW) announced August 29th the release of The Nashville Statement, an evangelical coalition statement on biblical sexuality. 

It is...something else

quote:

WE AFFIRM that God has designed marriage to be a covenantal, sexual, procreative, lifelong union of one man and one woman, as husband and wife, and is meant to signify the covenant love between Christ and his bride the church.

WE DENY that God has designed marriage to be a homosexual, polygamous, or polyamorous relationship. We also deny that marriage is a mere human contract rather than a covenant made before God.

WE AFFIRM that God’s revealed will for all people is chastity outside of marriage and fidelity within marriage.

WE DENY that any affections, desires, or commitments ever justify sexual intercourse before or outside marriage; nor do they justify any form of sexual immorality.

WE AFFIRM that God created Adam and Eve, the first human beings, in his own image, equal before God as persons, and distinct as male and female.

WE DENY that the divinely ordained differences between male and female render them unequal in dignity or worth.

WE AFFIRM that the differences between male and female reproductive structures are integral to God’s design for self-conception as male or female.

WE DENY that physical anomalies or psychological conditions nullify the God-appointed link between biological sex and self-conception as male or female.

WE AFFIRM that those born with a physical disorder of sex development are created in the image of God and have dignity and worth equal to all other image-bearers.

WE DENY that adopting a homosexual or transgender self-conception is consistent with God’s holy purposes in creation and redemption.

WE AFFIRM that people who experience sexual attraction for the same sex may live a rich and fruitful life pleasing to God through faith in Jesus Christ, as they, like all Christians, walk in purity of life.

WE DENY that sexual attraction for the same sex is part of the natural goodness of God’s original creation, or that it puts a person outside the hope of the gospel.

WE AFFIRM that sin distorts sexual desires by directing them away from the marriage covenant and toward sexual immorality— a distortion that includes both heterosexual and homosexual immorality.

WE DENY that an enduring pattern of desire for sexual immorality justifies sexually immoral behavior.

WE AFFIRM that it is sinful to approve of homosexual immorality or transgenderism and that such approval constitutes an essential departure from Christian faithfulness and witness.

WE DENY that the approval of homosexual immorality or transgenderism is a matter of moral indifference about which otherwise faithful Christians should agree to disagree.

WE AFFIRM our duty to speak the truth in love at all times, including when we speak to or about one another as male or female.

WE DENY any obligation to speak in such ways that dishonor God’s design of his image-bearers as male and female.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

lmfao rip mattis

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hastings posted:

Mattis is tired of this bullshit. If Trump is going to be a moron, then Mattis is going to make him work for it. Mattis will work hard, but he loves the troops more than anything else.

Neo Rasa posted:

So like if Trump is dumb enough (he is) to fire Mattis via a tweet or from just having a press conference or whatever, and Mattis is just like lol no, what happens?

He's not going to fire him because MATTIS ISN'T DEFYING HIM. The actual text of the transgender ban is much different from what Trump posted on Twitter, and Mattis is following it.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/tweet-text-president-trump-instates-military-transgender-ban

quote:

Though without question this marks a serious change in policy, there are two important ways in which the final memo is less severe than the blanket ban initially implied by his tweets. First, the ban portion of the memo addresses only “accession,” or initial enlistment, of openly transgender persons. That means it is possible that the openly transgender persons already enlisted will not be ejected. (Estimates of the number of current transgender service members vary dramatically: from 1,320 to 6,630, to closer to 15,500.) As the New York Times reported on Friday, “[a]lthough pressed repeatedly by reporters, [a] senior official declined to comment on the possibility that many or even all transgender individuals could continue to serve if [Secretary] Mattis declined to remove them.” The terms of the memorandum, however, seem to grant Secretary Mattis tremendous leeway in how the military moves forward to implement the President’s mandate.

Second, President Trump explicitly left open the possibility the new policy might be temporary: the ban will remain in place “until such time as a sufficient basis exists upon which to conclude that terminating that policy and practice would not have the negative effects discussed above.” President Trump specifically notes that an about-face is possible if the Secretary of Defense “provides a recommendation to the contrary that I find convincing.”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I thought that during WW2 the Allies were actually more like " Let's try and support Russia, but not to much cause we're probably gonna have to continue fighting a war against them after this poo poo is over" so while Stalin was all pissy about not enough support from UK / USA the USA / UK were drawing up plans on how to gently caress up Russia after Germany surrendered
not really: churchill distrusted stalin but FDR was overly trusting of stalin and vetoed a lot of his attempts to manuver to get advantages over the soviets post-war

but both nations were focused on getting germany beaten as quickly and cheaply as possible up until the breakout from normandy when it became clear that victory was nearly certain and jockeying started over grabbing control of stuff before the russians did. however they didn't really do a great job of making facts on the ground, and eisenhower also ignored a lot of churchill's attempts to do so

you've gotta realize this was not the sort of war we have today: this was a horrific total war that was bankrupting the uk and costing the us huge amounts of money, people had very pressing concerns about winning the war as soon as possible without spending more blood and money than necessary.

stalin was upset, reasonably, because the allies weren't launching the invasion in 1943 and leaving the ussr to take the brunt of hitler's attack for another year but it wasn't a sure thing that the ussr wouldn't collapse: they weren't loving around a year just for the fun of it. they were doing it because they didn't have the material needed to invade europe, which was not exactly a walk in the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
those guys with the black bizarro communist/nazi flags are definitely NazBols, not Anti-fa btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Bolshevism

• Locked thread