Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I spent today building this monstrosity.

What hath God wrought?

That backpack is actually surprisingly stable — more likely to lose the connection to 00 than for any piece of it to fall off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
1/60 Char's Zaku II: This is a nice kit from 1980. This specific kit is probably a later reissue, as (along with other 1/60 reissues) the incandescent light bulb/wiring for the monoeye is missing. I've actually had this kit finished for a while, as it was a final "hurrah" kit to build before I went back to work as a teacher. I'd been too busy getting my classroom set up to post them until now.

Here's a build report! Everything was painted by hand, as per the usual for me.

Here's a partial parts spread. Many halves need to be glued together-- including two halves for the conductive piping. Seams have a huge height gap that need to be heavily sanded to even them out. I went through tons of sandpaper to make that happen.

Putting the head together. It's not finished yet in this picture; I still had to sand down the seam and paint it (more on paint later). I used a pre-wired 3mm LED from Amazon in place of the missing incandescent bulb; outside of having to slightly enlarge the hole in the monoeye to make it fit, it worked perfectly. The monoeye sticker is a transparent pink, but it doesn't stick well-- I might need to create a new one at some point.

This is where the battery pack goes-- the panel itself has pegs that fit into holes molded into the inside of the torso. You can also see how the head is connected to the body: It's just a slot in the torso that a circular piece locks into, to rotate left and right. No up-down movement to speak of.

Two things to note here-- first, the way the shoulder moves is via a peg/hinge moving up and down. There is forward-back movement as well, facilitated by the circular piece at the end of the peg. That circular piece will be glued onto the torso, keeping it stationary while allowing the peg/hinge to move forward and backward.

Second, you can tell that the finishes are different. The leg piece is the bare plastic, while the shoulder is painted. I wanted a more subdued/near-matte finish, so I mixed a matte insignia red paint with lots of semi-gloss white (both Testors colors) to create this more subtle salmon color for the body.

Here's a better idea of how the circular piece is glued onto the torso.

Ready for some assembly. You can see the color differences better here with the head, antenna, lower legs and lower arms being bare plastic, and everything else painted.

... And I forgot to take pictures of the final assembly, so here are some finished pics!

There are a few minor painting imperfections, but they're not noticeable from 6" away.

Articulation, as with any kit from this era, is not very good. The elbows move well enough, but not at 90 degrees for sure. The thighs are basically stationary because of the fixed front skirt, while the lower legs can move backwards a bit. Feet are comically off-kilter. The only impressive articulation lies in the shoulders and upper arms, which can rotate a full 360. The main thing is that, while this kit uses polycaps, the way the kit is molded keeps them from being used to their full potential.

Simple and clean-- no extra panel lines here, and all cartoony-style proportions.The backpack was painted Italian red because the directions called for a bright red to be used here; all lineart I've seen confirms a brighter color here as well.

Some final shots. The machine gun will never be able to be held straight by the hand due to the design of both it and the gun.

Overall, I really enjoyed this kit. It has some weird building quirks, but so do all kits from this era. Hand-brushing this was pretty relaxing, even with the large surface areas. I won't knock this kit too much for articulation, but it's still a bit sad that Bandai in the 80s couldn't make their 1/60 kits at least a bit more flexible-- especially with polycaps.

I'll probably do another old Gunpla build in the future, but for now, I have a 1/48 Char's Zaku that I'll start on soon. I'll be sure to take comparison photos! :)

(Bonus: Here's another kit I finished this summer: MG Kampfer!)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

Can you hear it? I'm sure you can hear it. That far-off roar!

Exactly my thought as well.

For anyone who doesn't get it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

You're handpainting is something to behold. How do you managed to get it to an airbrush like finish, or is that just your matte topcoat hiding brush strokes.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Got a few things I ordered a month ago.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

Puddin posted:

You're handpainting is something to behold. How do you managed to get it to an airbrush like finish, or is that just your matte topcoat hiding brush strokes.

Thanks! My skill isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than how I used to handbrush. I don't really have a strategy outside of taking my time and mixing/stirring the paint well; I really have to give Testors credit for their acrylic paints. I've only had problems with a few of their shades of grey being too thinned to use properly, but their other colors stick well to the plastic and coat well. Unfortunately, I still do have occasional issues with brush strokes, but they're a lot less frequent nowadays.

Outside of that, my painting style is a bit unorthodox. It works for me, but I know it's not everyone's style:

- I usually don't prime unless it's an extreme color change (e.g. white paint on black plastic). The Testors paint sticks/coats well enough.
- I didn't topcoat the Zaku II, actually-- I don't usually topcoat kits that I paint because I'm not really handling them as often. The only exception was the 1/144 GM Cannon I built a while back, and that was to see how well a handbrushed Future gloss coat would turn out.
- I usually use a semi-gloss clear coat (again, Testors) on kits that either require minimal painting, or are flat-out straight build kits, as you can see on the Kampfer.

So yeah, my style would probably rub some people the wrong way. It does work for the kits, though!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:toot:

Now I just need to do both 80 part guns and all the decals :negative:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Is it as fragile and frustrating as everyone says?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Not from my experience, but I treat my kits with kid gloves for the most part. That stand is way more fragile, seeing as I had to prop the kit up to keep the weak, totally stripped screw from making the kit topple over. :downs:

If anything, some parts have too tight of a fit (basically every poycap) and needed to be shaved down to not wreck stuff. But I also habitually glue everything, even bandai kits nowadays so.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Double post apologies, but goddamn.

I never thought I could actually get this thing to stand on its own feet, and never tried. It's actually surprisingly stable, even if it requires a really wide stance.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
From YT reviews they actually hedged their bets and went with too-tight over too-loose. To such an extent that some people have broken theirs trying to force pegs.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
REISSUED FULL METAL PANIC KITS
GLORY TO OUR BENEVOLENT AOSHIMA MASTERS
(okay but please can we get some Rk-92 kits up in this as well tia)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10486821
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10486811
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10486812

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I know this is 2 years old so everyone likely already knows, but apparently the Hyaku Shiki 2.0's finish is applied on top of clear plastic.

I was just curious if anyone knows if there's any other kits that do this, since I really like clear parts.

(Also: why would they do that? Presumably they'd still have to apply a black base for a good metallic effect, wouldn't clear plastic make the whole thing extra fragile?)

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Neurolimal posted:

I know this is 2 years old so everyone likely already knows, but apparently the Hyaku Shiki 2.0's finish is applied on top of clear plastic.

I was just curious if anyone knows if there's any other kits that do this, since I really like clear parts.

(Also: why would they do that? Presumably they'd still have to apply a black base for a good metallic effect, wouldn't clear plastic make the whole thing extra fragile?)

Vaccuum metalizers don't need black basing since the metallic layer is thick enough to be completely reflective. Presumably they made it out of clear plastic to save money on dye.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

From YT reviews they actually hedged their bets and went with too-tight over too-loose. To such an extent that some people have broken theirs trying to force pegs.

Yeah, I can see that. Personally, I'm used to shaving down pegs or widening holes for the sake of a looser fit that I know will come apart easily, and then just gluing it all together for the final fit, so I didn't have much trouble, but if you're coming from Bandai's perfect snap fits and tolerances, it probably seems like a nightmare.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neurolimal posted:

I believe that's just pure undyed polystyrene. Since it doesn't have any additives it's just cheaper. Natural PLA is similar.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
It's not really clear, it's more translucent white.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

REISSUED FULL METAL PANIC KITS
GLORY TO OUR BENEVOLENT AOSHIMA MASTERS
(okay but please can we get some Rk-92 kits up in this as well tia)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10486821
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10486811
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10486812

Ver 1.5? May not be just a reissue. I wonder what's different.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I thought P Bandai was supposed to be all waterslides now? Just got the 00 XN and it's got normal stickers and rub ons.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It depends on the kit.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Someone needs to teach Bandai about consistency.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
You're supposed to have a small set of waterslides for the XN itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU8pN5pcKc4&t=348s

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Ugh. Is there a buyable waterslide sheet for the raiser? I don't know why they thought half waterslide half regular stickers was a great idea.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Ver 1.5? May not be just a reissue. I wonder what's different.

I'm torn between a wait-and-see attitude to find that out, but the reason I bought the older Arbalest from you a year or two back is because I didn't think I'd ever build proper Gunpla/plamo.

HLJ says there are movable hatches, and the Lambda Driver movement can be replicated.

But anyway, it's HLJ, so I might as well put down preorder stakes and hope I don't spend the hundo it'd require once they drop in November.

Meanwhile, the Mechanicore Perfect Zeong has a box.

Move 'Ziegler." For great box justice.

(Good luck to you who venture down the course of this hellbeast)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
goddamnit Bandai is doing reruns of five different P-Bandai Jegans at the same time. Would it really be that hard to let outlanders order directly from the P-bandai store?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I should pick up the GM/GM Build Fighters kit. I thought it was just a remold of the Revive RX-78-2 at first, but it looks like it has some pretty neat stuff going on with a split torso and folding wrists.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Forget the GM/GM (although it looks badass), when the heck are we getting the GM Z'Gock? I lust for vestigial-armed abominations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think I should pick up the GM/GM Build Fighters kit. I thought it was just a remold of the Revive RX-78-2 at first, but it looks like it has some pretty neat stuff going on with a split torso and folding wrists.

Surprisingly, the GM/GM is based off the Leopard da Vinci.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Neurolimal posted:

I can say that this is the case. I've had to take knife blades to holes on more than one occasion to get the them to go in, and sand down ends of pegs. I've never seen anything quite like it, but SO FAR it's been nice that i'm not having to do as much gluing as I expected.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Slow going on my Sniper 2.

I wanted to get it finished before Destiny 2 came out, but got a bit way laid.

Need to topcoat the outer armour I've already painted, and then start on everything else.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Looking good so far, that gun's gorgeous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another surprisingly late IBO S1 HG release.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
gently caress YOU P-Bandai: http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000117195/

We FINALLY get a King J-Der and I have to immediately be mad at its existence...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm really not sure I understand the point of P-Bandai (besides the obvious japanese business model of "this has a limited fanbase, instead of expanding it let's milk the poo poo out of it") anymore.

I thought it was supposed to be for basic changes and accessories ala decals/stickers/RG guns/colors/set packs, but it gets so many unique sculpts that have to have been easily marketable (if the IBO option set packs can close in on 10 releases and see success literally selling guns and feet there's no way a crazy Z'Gok hands were unsellable). The Graze pack seems more in line than the z'gok, j-der, waterproof gundam etc.; it's two shiny grazes with the ground feet pack and the sword pack.

The cynic in me says that they're going to milk P-Bandai for a while, then quietly release a bunch of the sculpted stuff later.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 31, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember that P-Bandai is only a pain for people outside Japan. If you're in Japan, something being P-Bandai really isn't a big deal. Selling directly from their own webstore has two big benefits. First off, they keep all the money. There's no retail middlemen taking a cut. Secondly, it prevents a situation like Gundam Age where there's a ton of merchandise sitting at retail that won't sell, which causes all sorts of problems.

I think you're asking the wrong question. They probably aren't asking "how would this do at retail" they're probably asking "How many people who are interested in this product wouldn't buy it if it was only available at P-Bandai?"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Doesn't p-bandai still have a markup for their stuff? Maybe the Premium part of the title is throwing me off.

You are right that I'm likely overinflating how big a deal this is locally. Amazon and AliExpress has spoiled me on worldwide goods.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

gently caress YOU P-Bandai: http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000117195/

We FINALLY get a King J-Der and I have to immediately be mad at its existence...

gently caress I will probably splurge and buy this thing since it's the goddamn King J-Der.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

Remember that P-Bandai is only a pain for people outside Japan. If you're in Japan, something being P-Bandai really isn't a big deal. Selling directly from their own webstore has two big benefits. First off, they keep all the money. There's no retail middlemen taking a cut. Secondly, it prevents a situation like Gundam Age where there's a ton of merchandise sitting at retail that won't sell, which causes all sorts of problems.

I think you're asking the wrong question. They probably aren't asking "how would this do at retail" they're probably asking "How many people who are interested in this product wouldn't buy it if it was only available at P-Bandai?"

And yet both of the best kits from GM Counterattack are P-Bandai :psyduck:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Considering they put the effort into getting almost the entire Island Wars line out as general release, GM's Counterattack's releases just makes me think that Island Wars sold horribly enough it wasn't worth betting on.

I know that nobody likes paying more for stuff, but the sheer vitriol people express for P-Bandai gets so overdone it's ridiculous. The fact of the matter is that most of the time, if it wasn't going to be P-Bandai it wasn't going to exist at all. You have to think of Bandai less as a magical wish granting lamp and more as a business. Because that is, in fact, what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Considering they put the effort into getting almost the entire Island Wars line out as general release, GM's Counterattack's releases just makes me think that Island Wars sold horribly enough it wasn't worth betting on.

I know that nobody likes paying more for stuff, but the sheer vitriol people express for P-Bandai gets so overdone it's ridiculous. The fact of the matter is that most of the time, if it wasn't going to be P-Bandai it wasn't going to exist at all. You have to think of Bandai less as a magical wish granting lamp and more as a business. Because that is, in fact, what they are.

Sure, except the Fenice Libertalia's just a little more complex than the average recoloured variant with slightly altered shoulders. Effort-wise, that's a pretty intensive kit to develop given the big thigh thrusters and motorcycle transformation for only a P-Bandai release.