Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I've been dying to try it, actually. Isn't it still in alpha or some poo poo?

It's in "beta" what ever that means now. The game has it share of issues but drat is it really satisfying when you get out with a load of gear.
I'll post a invite to our discord if anyone wants to come play.
https://discord.gg/NjSATWQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm someone that bounced off the pre-story-mode TLD early access several times, but recently gave it another shot and did the story mode and really loved it. I've already spent more than 6 hours on it and I skipped several of the possible Trust rewards in chapter 1 and haven't yet finished the explicit missions or Trust rewards in chapter 2 yet. Even playing this basically completely fresh I get the impression that I'm being drip-fed survival mechanics but I actually really like the way they do it.

One thing that really bugs me about story mode, though, is how you are encouraged to use the quest-giver's house as your base but then you aren't allowed to use any of the containers so you have to just drop poo poo on the ground and spend forever sorting through it when you need anything.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
I never got the impression I was welcome to hang at Grey Mother's house. Having a blind lady waving a gun at you will do that I suppose. I took over the banker's house once I opened it in town. Nice big bed, a stove, plenty of cabinets to organize things. Actually left a ton of assorted junk behind there.

I'm one of the pre-story mode people that preferred to use the Camp Office as a home base rather than Trapper's cabin so having to relocate the pile of stuff I dumped at the start of Episode 2 wasn't too tough for me. That locker keeps taunting me though... totally should've peeked in while Jeremiah was passed out.

I'm having issues with a bug however- sometimes in story mode ( hasn't happened yet in survival ), I'll lose the ability to equip or create anything. Like I can't throw stones, can't start a fire, clicking on equipping a torch or flare does nothing, etc. Rather a bad thing when you find that out as a wolf starts to eye you up for a snack. At least it still lets me wolf struggle but its still a dang annoyance.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm someone that bounced off the pre-story-mode TLD early access several times, but recently gave it another shot and did the story mode and really loved it. I've already spent more than 6 hours on it and I skipped several of the possible Trust rewards in chapter 1 and haven't yet finished the explicit missions or Trust rewards in chapter 2 yet. Even playing this basically completely fresh I get the impression that I'm being drip-fed survival mechanics but I actually really like the way they do it.

One thing that really bugs me about story mode, though, is how you are encouraged to use the quest-giver's house as your base but then you aren't allowed to use any of the containers so you have to just drop poo poo on the ground and spend forever sorting through it when you need anything.

you just lose 5 trust for opening poo poo. open a bunch of things at 0 trust or who cares she goes nuts for a single rabbit hide

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Verviticus posted:

you just lose 5 trust for opening poo poo. open a bunch of things at 0 trust or who cares she goes nuts for a single rabbit hide

So you only take the hit when you open a container the first time?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think the whole dog thing at the beginning of Darkwood is to drive home that the character you play that section as is a total piece of trash.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Seashell Salesman posted:

So you only take the hit when you open a container the first time?

yeah

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dreadwroth posted:

I think the whole dog thing at the beginning of Darkwood is to drive home that the character you play that section as is a total piece of trash.

had to hug my irl dog after that section :{

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

jesus christ the temperature in interloper sandbox just falls off a loving cliff. i know they said it gets harder over time, but i was going from lighting a fire with a magnifying glass and getting a positive return on cutting a limb to never ever being able to do that again without losing substantial amounts of condition. a clear, sunny day, like 3pm and its -30 with no windchill

maybe the game is just designed to get insanely cold once you get a bow, because man no wolf has given me problems since i picked that guy up. I shouldn't have waited so long, i thought arrows were fragile so i made like 20 arrowheads but really you need like 8

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice

quote:

wayward

Nobody's mentioned this game since the OP, but I love wayward, it's beautiful if you like pixel art, it has a deep crafting system and everything is turn based, like a rogue-like. Something about taking wilderness survival and turning it all into math like a board game is really cool to me. It's updated half often and I started playing again after a recent update that improved the farming system and stuff. I'd compare it to the survival side of minecraft but with way more depth and challenge. Might not appeal to people who like the realism of the long dark, etc. but you might consider trying it on sale or whatever. I've got like 50 hours out of it so far.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Verviticus posted:

maybe the game is just designed to get insanely cold once you get a bow, because man no wolf has given me problems since i picked that guy up. I shouldn't have waited so long, i thought arrows were fragile so i made like 20 arrowheads but really you need like 8

Nah, keep the extra arrow heads. In case your arrows get lost or eaten. No joke, I had two arrows going from Mystery Lake to Coastal Highway in my long run game, and shot a rabbit with one and arrow just went poof and was nowhere to be found. Not even dropping the dead bunny made it come back. I'd be angrier but Coastal Highway has so far turned out to have plenty of rifle ammo, and being smart with it ( driving deer into the path of a lone wolf, letting it kill the deer, then killing the wolf, bam two-fer ) plus level 5 cooking has me sitting pretty for my long run game. Also finally found a mountaineering rope so going to try to nerve up to risk the ravine again and get that distress pistol.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

oh im not throwing them out, i just made the trip through forlorn muskeg with like loving 30 scrap metal and it was a nightmarish hell

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TACO_HERO posted:

Nobody's mentioned this game since the OP, but I love wayward, it's beautiful if you like pixel art, it has a deep crafting system and everything is turn based, like a rogue-like. Something about taking wilderness survival and turning it all into math like a board game is really cool to me. It's updated half often and I started playing again after a recent update that improved the farming system and stuff. I'd compare it to the survival side of minecraft but with way more depth and challenge. Might not appeal to people who like the realism of the long dark, etc. but you might consider trying it on sale or whatever. I've got like 50 hours out of it so far.

If you'd like a mix of that, try Unreal World. It's got the roguelike stylings with survival far deeper than the likes of The Long Dark simply because it's been in development since time immemorial. Also featuring: Spirits and gods! (May or may not actually feature spirits and gods, nobody can really figure out if they are real.)

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you'd like a mix of that, try Unreal World. It's got the roguelike stylings with survival far deeper than the likes of The Long Dark simply because it's been in development since time immemorial. Also featuring: Spirits and gods! (May or may not actually feature spirits and gods, nobody can really figure out if they are real.)

Unreal World's prayer system is the perfect implementation of prayer I've seen in a game because you never know if it actually did anything or not.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TLD would be awesome if you could build a simple wooden sled. Allows you to haul large amounts of items with a slight speed loss.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Q8ee posted:

TLD would be awesome if you could build a simple wooden sled. Allows you to haul large amounts of items with a slight speed loss.

i'd say it would get a shitload better if they just opened it for modding.

but yeah a sled & a pair of skis are probably something i'd make asap if i were in that situation.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Q8ee posted:

Episode 3: Post Apocalyptic Bag Lady

Qubee
May 31, 2013

cause the way I see it, most people set up permanent basecamps somewhere. and I remember the last time I played this, moving from a small basecamp to a larger, slightly better one was such a pain in the rear end. it involved cramming my bags full of dried meat and resources, and making about 10 trips in total. wasn't fun at all.

I'd love being a glorified bag lady.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Setting up any base camp in Coastal Highway is such a pain. The fishing camp you're tilted towards the left side of the map, have to go to a fishing hut or make an outdoor fire to cook/ melt water, plus at least one wolf and a bear occasionally wander near enough to be a threat. Jackrabbit Island has a good bed, close by rabbits, and no predators but also no work bench and again with the lack of indoor fireplace. Quonset gas station has indoor crafting and fire, plus plenty of storage space, but is constantly under threat of attack from wolves and a bear. And the vacation cabins on the right side of the map have indoor fireplaces but no crafting table, plus again limiting you to the right side of the map.

Mystery Lake has two good base camp locations, and if you're not mostly basing yourself out of the farmstead in Pleasant Valley you're kind of limiting yourself.

That having been said, my long run game I've moved from map to map and the best option I've found is to mostly move only your needed tools, and whatever extra food you can carry along with them. You can always scavenge more food and hunt/fish again, but it takes far longer to re-find a hatchet, knife, fishing tackle and a weapon/ammo. Also adds some extra fun to a long run where you can start feeling like its become repetitive.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

A travios would be lore-friendly

Catalina
May 20, 2008

TACO_HERO posted:

Thanks for the rec. I ignored it because it was in Early Access, but now I've added it to my wishlist, and it's at a good try-out price at $7.99.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you'd like a mix of that, try Unreal World. It's got the roguelike stylings with survival far deeper than the likes of The Long Dark simply because it's been in development since time immemorial.

I think I first saw that game listed on Home of the Underdogs in 1999. :corsair:

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Catalina posted:

I think I first saw that game listed on Home of the Underdogs in 1999. :corsair:

Jesus Christ that site is still up. :corsair:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Unreal World is really good. We have a thread here if anyone is curious. I also did a let's play for the Roguelike LP megathread that might give anyone curious a good idea of what the game is like.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

So I spent a few hours with Darkwood this weekend. Not enough to beat it or get hugely far, but enough to get some first impressions.

- It is quite spoopy. The nights are immediately built up to be fatal 'in 99 out of 100 cases if you're not by your hideout' and while I didn't try to test that theory as such, the blackness is pretty intimidating. Torches do not work in the woods' utter night.
- The game immediately says it does not hold your hand, and that is very true. The prologue tosses a few weapons or whatever at you, but once the game starts properly you will be scrambling for any weapon (you can make a board with nails at a workbench, which is sufficient for the first area's threats).
- I like the way they handle trading. Values are set, with buys being negative and sells being positive, and any overflow or underflow in the trade goes to your 'reputation' with that character. So if you see something you like from a specific trader, you can gift them some stuff here, some stuff there, and not be penalized when you show up with a couple of cheap doodads to trade for the big ticket item you've been coveting.
- Cooking things allows you to choose permanent perks that are required to be balanced with negatraits. I've only gotten the first perk so far, but it was a pretty harmless negatrait in return for what I thought at the time was pretty valuable (eating mushrooms restores health). Turns out health is actually not that difficult to come by so don't do that.
- Repair the well near your hideout and you'll have a substantial amount of healing per day from drinking the water. It's not unlimited though so don't be an rear end in a top hat.
- Nighttime play is interesting in that each night appears different but it's not that compelling yet by day 5. Mostly I have just hung out near the lights with my back to the wall. There's definitely some other stuff out there though, I won't relate specifics. One night there was no physical threat but when I turned my back to close a door that had blown open the game dropped the hallucination of a crying child behind me.
- Stamina from sprinting regenerates pretty fast and walking is quite slow, so it behooves you to sprint most places so you get more done per day.
- It's VERY easy to get disoriented and turned around in the woods, much like it is in regular woods. Your map will update when you're close to something, so check it often.

All in all seems like an interesting game. I doubt I'll binge it any time soon but it seems like the devs have thought through the experience they want to give pretty well.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I really like Darkwood too, been playing it all day. Really like that unlike TLD storymode almost all your resources CAN be endless if you play smart and do well. Also the gunplay is surprisingly solid and enjoyable.

And it's nice to not have to care about food/drink for once.

Edit: BY FAR the greatest challenge so far in Darkwood for me has been the lack of information about it online, it's either outdated, presented in LP format by a screaming person or not there at all. It's actually been kinda nice tho, cause i tend to wiki/youtube things a bit too fast, but also sometimes frustrating.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Can they get to endlessness? I was worrying about that during my nights today. It is not readily apparent - the Trader comes by and I scored enough gas for the foreseeable future from him, but I really tapped myself out on stuff to swap with him. I've looted most of the immediate area and sterilized it of hostile life so while I definitely have a good week of resources available I was really unsure of how I was going to keep going from that.

I guess that makes sense considering what the difficulties do, though.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Douk Douk posted:

Jesus Christ that site is still up. :corsair:

I just...there's so much there that impresses me. The fact they haven't changed their layout from early 2000's style...the last update was as recent as May 2017...they updated ways to contact them so they have a Facebook, Twitter, and Patreon...and most of all, they're part of a webring that is somehow still alive with all the links working in the year of our Lord 2017.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if you check through the content you'll notice that it's largely getting rid of its downloads and other stuff in order to simply link to other resources or just link to google. HotU still basically 'works' because as its time passed it was fine with simply relegating itself to being an internet museum of a time past, which is poetic in a way since it has largely joined the things it catalogs.

e: this isn't me being artful by calling it an internet museum by the way, their patreon page describes their project as "museum of forgotten & underrated PC games"

their pledges are a mighty 79 bucks a month lol

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 28, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

So I spent a few hours with Darkwood this weekend. Not enough to beat it or get hugely far, but enough to get some first impressions.

- It is quite spoopy. The nights are immediately built up to be fatal 'in 99 out of 100 cases if you're not by your hideout' and while I didn't try to test that theory as such, the blackness is pretty intimidating. Torches do not work in the woods' utter night.
- The game immediately says it does not hold your hand, and that is very true. The prologue tosses a few weapons or whatever at you, but once the game starts properly you will be scrambling for any weapon (you can make a board with nails at a workbench, which is sufficient for the first area's threats).
- I like the way they handle trading. Values are set, with buys being negative and sells being positive, and any overflow or underflow in the trade goes to your 'reputation' with that character. So if you see something you like from a specific trader, you can gift them some stuff here, some stuff there, and not be penalized when you show up with a couple of cheap doodads to trade for the big ticket item you've been coveting.
- Cooking things allows you to choose permanent perks that are required to be balanced with negatraits. I've only gotten the first perk so far, but it was a pretty harmless negatrait in return for what I thought at the time was pretty valuable (eating mushrooms restores health). Turns out health is actually not that difficult to come by so don't do that.
- Repair the well near your hideout and you'll have a substantial amount of healing per day from drinking the water. It's not unlimited though so don't be an rear end in a top hat.
- Nighttime play is interesting in that each night appears different but it's not that compelling yet by day 5. Mostly I have just hung out near the lights with my back to the wall. There's definitely some other stuff out there though, I won't relate specifics. One night there was no physical threat but when I turned my back to close a door that had blown open the game dropped the hallucination of a crying child behind me.
- Stamina from sprinting regenerates pretty fast and walking is quite slow, so it behooves you to sprint most places so you get more done per day.
- It's VERY easy to get disoriented and turned around in the woods, much like it is in regular woods. Your map will update when you're close to something, so check it often.

All in all seems like an interesting game. I doubt I'll binge it any time soon but it seems like the devs have thought through the experience they want to give pretty well.

at the beginning of every day, you get a buff called "Time Freeze" that lets you go and turn your generator off and make repairs/craft poo poo as needed. this doesnt prevent mushrooms from decaying but it does let you think stuff out and plan which is nice. it's indefinite - ends when you leave the fence perimeter of your base

sprinting on roads consumes maybe 1/100 of the stamina of sprinting elsewhere

my question: is there a better way to hole up the hole in the wall thats covered by a shelf

also: the first negative trait seems like a giant pain in the rear end. is there a requirement to use the trait system at all? I enjoy being able to stand in the shadows

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 29, 2017

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No you don't have to shoot up the shroom juice. One hint for free, save every nail and board you can for later in the game, you are gonna need em.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah i started to recognize that so ive been buying every single one i can at every trader/wolfman

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I looked at the higher tiers of stuff and the negatraits start getting pretty bad for positive traits that are arguably equally as good, but the fact remains that you are focusing time and effort in order to do something that is, at best, breaking even for you. Kind of thinking about just starting over and ignoring the dose stuff entirely, I would have had a lot more done if I hadn't worried about juggling that dumb crap in my inventory.

The first hideout is always going to have that ridiculous hole in the wall so I took to taking that big dresser and both lamps into the bedroom and just shoving the dresser in front of the door at night. Barricading and then unbarricading the door ends up costing like 5 nails and 2 boards per night, but shoving the dresser in front of the door is free and keeps assholes from wandering in. I feel no compunction to hang out near the stove thanks.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

im usually just standing by the workbench, organizing my poo poo. i dont have the shadows negatrait so i can do it in darkness

edit: huh, i just did an entire night without running the generator

another tip for people: craft a lantern really early. they're cheap and they reveal shiny stones which are worth shittons

cool bug/feature: you cant look at key items a second time so if you want to, say, look at the wedding invitation password again, you dont get to!

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 29, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Verviticus posted:

my question: is there a better way to hole up the hole in the wall thats covered by a shelf

In the first hideout? You can drag another cabinet from the building to your direct south and put one on either side of it if you are feeling particularly autismal. I had much more luck holing up in the room with the bed tho and making sure i could lead whatever that managed to get to me into a bear trap.

Verviticus posted:

also: the first negative trait seems like a giant pain in the rear end. is there a requirement to use the trait system at all? I enjoy being able to stand in the shadows

There's a bit of story to using the trait system, you get hallucination/flashback segments further down the rabbithole you go. Also one of the lategame traits that lets you scare monsters away for a little while is helpful to make your barricades survive longer on harder nights, but no requirement i believe no.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah you can run nights in the first hideout in darkness more often than not, especially if you are properly locked in to a room. the first hideout is very safe compared to later ones, only the savages and sometimes dogs come by. If you don't draw attention to yourself they mostly leave you alone. Running the generator counts as attention.

later nights at later hideouts this is no longer a good idea as there will be some more aggressive things outside and they're eventually going to come in whether you like it or not. You will want to see what the hell you are doing.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got darkwood and it seems pretty cool except that I'm stuck in the little corner of the forest and need key codes to go west, north, or into the wedding. Also need a shovel to excavate the tunnel but I can't figure out where to get the 'stick' part of it sooooo I'm on like day 7 with nothing to do.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The tribal dudes drop the sticks, not so many of them in the first area. One of them got into my house and that's how i got my first stick. I never used the shovel to excavate anything tho, wasn't aware that was possible.

The wedding code is apparently very easy to miss, i never went in there. The wedding isn't the only thing to the east tho, there is a path through the dense trees and a building into the next area. I went through there following the Wolfmans questline.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Really? I followed the river into a destroyed building with a dresser I could move and a destroyed generator and nothing else. I'm going to restart because I didn't realize I couldn't back out of the traits/perks screen without being forced to take one and frankly I like the darkness. I scoured the wedding but didn't find the photo. All the drat guides for the alpha and the game has significantly changed on release. Annoying!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bhodi posted:

Really? I followed the river into a destroyed building with a dresser I could move and a destroyed generator and nothing else. I'm going to restart because I didn't realize I couldn't back out of the traits/perks screen without being forced to take one and frankly I like the darkness. I scoured the wedding but didn't find the photo. All the drat guides for the alpha and the game has significantly changed on release. Annoying!

Thats WEST

WEST

GO EAAAAAST
LIFE IS PEACEFUL THERE (no you are going to die)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Thats WEST

WEST

GO EAAAAAST
LIFE IS PEACEFUL THERE (no you are going to die)
The map is random every time :ssh:

There's a combo lock on the door and I don't know where to get the code.. same with the cellar to the safehouse and the house in the woods.